• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't notice die for me didn't carry over to other demons when fusing alice until it was too late. Luckily I had it whispered already.

So, suddenly I can start wandering around and wind up in areas with enemies quite a bit stronger than me. Kind of crazy that things suddenly opened up in that way. It makes exploring Tokyo a lot of fun.

Blusby

I'm wondering if for NG+ I should keep my levels and stuff or go in clean considering I'll end up keeping my skill slots and will have extra app points to use.

scy

I will NEVER fuse away my Alice <3

Unless I could buy her back.

I invested in the 50% Compendium price App fairly early on since I'm constantly fusing. Though the costs are getting back up to ~15k+ already. Oh boy. Need more things to sell / relics actually worth something.

She has very low HP. The best demons in the game come with 700-800+ hp for instance. I'm not saying you cannot beat the game with her but there is a reason why she is a lvl 49 demon and not a lvl 85 demon balance wise.

You could always fuse her again and again to update her skills with some from higher demons if you like her that much but if a boss uses 3 almighty skills or 3 skills she can't block she will get thrashed.

You can also pass on debilitate to the MC or another demon anyway.

Yeah I am going to fuse her if something truly better comes up. I won't be fusing her with anything that has a weakness, or lacks a suitable amount of MP.

Also I'm thinking Luster Candy on MC and Debilitate on a Demon.

I invested in the 50% Compendium price App fairly early on since I'm constantly fusing. Though the costs are getting back up to ~15k+ already. Oh boy. Need more things to sell / relics actually worth something.

I'll start doing that once I get the party wide mana walk app. That shit means I dont need Energy Drain ever again.

Lexxism

There's a quest I had when I encountered Dullahan.

Question:
I was asked whether I will kill her or not. I did kill her. Is that the right choice?

Watashiwa

Is it true that all you need to do in order to get neutral is
just pick the top option every time?

Nope. You also have to
take one side in the ethics test at all times and join the other alignment hero during the initial alignment split, avoid the suicidal woman, and avoid every challenge quest that effects your alignment. Which is about half of them, and sometimes you don't know that you've gotten alignment points.

Since I killed her, that makes my choice chaos?

Killing her is Lawful, actually.

jorgeton

Neutral path boss help:

How the hell am I supposed to beat Beelzebub? Like.. really Atlus? How can I survive 3 back to back Megidolas??? Any advice?

Okay, so then I should just do whatever the hell and not care what alignment I get? I'm so tired of carefully following rules to get specific outcomes :( I should finally be a man and play these damn games on my own

Yeah, totally. Just answer the questions honestly. More fun that way. Worry about a specific playthrough on NG+.

Nope. You also have to
take one side in the ethics test at all times and join the other alignment hero during the initial alignment split, avoid the suicidal woman, and avoid every challenge quest that effects your alignment. Which is about half of them, and sometimes you don't know that you've gotten alignment points.

Killing her is Lawful, actually.

Okay, so then I should just do whatever the hell and not care what alignment I get? I'm so tired of carefully following rules to get specific outcomes :( I should finally be a man and play these damn games on my own

Aeana

Neutral path boss help:

How the hell am I supposed to beat Beelzebub? Like.. really Atlus? How can I survive 3 back to back Megidolas??? Any advice?
That boss is optional, FYI. The neutral path superboss. That said, to win that fight easily, you'll want to debilitate/luster candy a bunch in the first turn and then his megidolas won't do so much damage.

Watashiwa

Yep! Follow your heart, and accept responsibility for your actions!

Me, I chose to
erase existence rather than serve god
. On the flipside, I started a NG+ ten hours early and got to reset my character's skill points/level but keep my skill slots, so it's all good.

jorgeton

That boss is optional, FYI. The neutral path superboss. That said, to win that fight easily, you'll want to debilitate/luster candy a bunch in the first turn and then his megidolas won't do so much damage.

Thanks. Time to fuse some new pokemons.

CSX

That or
get based Shiva :p

Young Magus

Another Alignment Question (Post-"The True Faces of Evil" Spoilers):
During the split, I went with Walter. I was Law prior to this and now I'm Neutral. What do I do this stay here or keep the scale semi-balanced? Also, where is the camp located at?

Thank You in Advance

Does "Megami" learn Dia? I'm looking for a a good replacement for Pixie, and I'm having a hard time finding a demon in Naraku that is as useful (she even has Mazan!).

edit: derp, meant fortuna. disregard this idiotic question.

Goby

Banned
I finished the game, neutral path. Total playtime:
40:24

This game is, quite honestly, a dream come true. It's the kind of game I never expected to be made ever again, and one that makes me feel like I'm a teenager again. Some of my fondest gaming memories are playing through SMT1 and 2 when they came out, and those two games are so incredibly unique and unmatched in so many ways. I didn't think I'd ever play anything like them ever again. This game feels like those, but modernized in all of the ways that really matter to me. And all from a team that didn't even work on the originals. It's so great that Atlus has new people who really get what SMT is, and it makes me super excited for the future.

Yeah ATLUS really knocked it out of the park.

So glad SMT didn't get tainted by the other series.

Vamphuntr

Certainly helps. Antichthon is a great ability.

It's really broken :O, especially with how easy fusing is in this game. You can recreate your whole team so it has Antichthon, Victory Cry and Enduring Soul easily with compendium search.I did that and saved my team to the compendium and made sure I had money to summon it back in NG+. I feel it will be hard to replay the other megaten games without that tool.

Trying to go for the Chaos route now. I'm breezing through it quickly so it shouldn't be that long.

I just wish someone would come up with a trick to manipulate the RNG so I could get the fiends T.T . Some smart people had come up with tricks for FFXII International to get the legendary weapon/armor with 100% accuracy. Come on smart people, I need your help!

How do you guys feel about Hama? I'm about to fuse Tam Lin, and I'm not sure I should keep it. I've never been a fan of instant death spells in RPGs.

Caladrius

Do the characters have no defense stat or something? Armor only seems to affect HP/MP/weaknesses

No defense stat this time. On the one hand early demons can kill you easily even at higher levels. On the other you stand a fair chance against vastly higher level demons. HP is the only way to improve survivability.

PK Gaming

Finally finished the game

Playtime: 52 hours

I'm not really good with words, but here goes nothing. SMTIV is a type of game that comes around once every few years. Basically, it had that rare combination of being really unique game and being to really, really fun and a great experience overall. It's hard to put into words, but I just felt "good" playing. In terms gameplay, SMTIV has has excellent game flow; I enjoyed alternating between the main quests with the sidequests (which were generally pretty great). Traversing Tokyo was definitely a highlight; the music, the post apocalyptic atmosphere... everything, it was just too perfect.

The story & characters were overall great. Sure, the story itself is kind of incidental and there was some overlap between Law & Chaos but what's there is really solid. I completely utterly disagree with the assertion that this game had weak characters. Isabeau for example, is a fucking fantastic character, and one of the best characters in the series imo. The handful of side characters (Akira, Hikaru, Fujiwara, Nozoimi, etc) were also really great.

Final words:

Fuck Law, Fuck Chaos go Neutral.

Delio

48155_10151742112064100_466673078_n.jpg

How am I doing stat wise guys?

LaneDS

Haven't read anything in here, so apologies if it's mentioned (trying to remain as in the dark as I can), but I wanted to know if you get the option to toggle off the "Auto-Pinpoint" app, or if you have to use it all the time once you buy it.

If anyone can answer that, well that'd be appreciated.

Kimawolf

Just an update. Game is AMAZING Still, and the conversations are soo funny. the swamp demon all "bro this and bro that" is hilarious.

"Guys guys! It's formation B time!"

CSX

Haven't read anything in here, so apologies if it's mentioned (trying to remain as in the dark as I can), but I wanted to know if you get the option to toggle off the "Auto-Pinpoint" app, or if you have to use it all the time once you buy it.

If anyone can answer that, well that'd be appreciated.

regular auto is the R button. Auto Pinpoint is L button

Man, that was a rough start trying to get four demons on my team. But now I got em, time to level up and get some skills!

Any suggestions on early days apps to start investing in ASAP?

Fused off my Alice into an Anubis. I had no idea Die For Me couldn't be passed on. So I'll just pretend it "evolved" into Judgement Light.

I can also later fuse my Sepnir into an Oberon that is immune to his only weakness. :)

Oh and I'm still having trouble finding Null X skills. I have Null Fire, Elec, Mind, and whichever one nulls poison. I haven't come across any others.

CSX

Fused off my Alice into an Anubis. I had no idea Die For Me couldn't be passed on. So I'll just pretend it "evolved" into Judgement Light.

I can also later fuse my Sepnir into an Oberon that is immune to his only weakness. :)

Oh and I'm still having trouble finding Null X skills. I have Null Fire, Elec, Mind, and whichever one nulls poison. I haven't come across any others.

the bs is that Die for Me can't be passed but Judgment Light can

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I got nearly all of mine through skill mutations. Just fuse a null skill to some low level demon and level it a bunch of times, assuming you have the skill mutate app.

I got nearly all of mine through skill mutations. Just fuse a null skill to some low level demon and level it a bunch of times, assuming you have the skill mutate app.

I have yet to get a null skill through mutation, and I even have the app that makes them more frequent.

What am I missing? Camp Ichgaya help:
how the hell am I supposed to progress? There's locked doors and a seal blocking my progress. -_-

Top Bottom