• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

If you have a high luck stat, it has a near guaranteed hit%.

Oh I'm not using it, but Alice is.

My current skill set is:

Agidyne, Ziodyne, Bufudne, Zandyne, Megidola
Concentrate
Energy Drain, Mediarama

Concentrate + Megidola is... extremely great.

I bought enough mana gain apps that I don't need Energy Drain anymore I feel. Will likely replace it soon.

Mediarama is my only healing and I like it on the MC but it can be replaced.

Stats are: 125 Magic, 104 Agility, 108 Luck. I probably have enough Luck to pull of Die for Me.

PK Gaming

You should probably shift a healing roll onto a demon, since MC is your best damage dealer. I know always hated having Mediarama on my MC during boss battles.

You should probably shift a healing roll onto a demon, since MC is your best damage dealer. I know always hated having Mediarama on my MC during boss battles.

If I can get some better healing onto a demon I probably will. But I tend to like having it on my MC because it makes me feel more secure.

CSX

Late game neutral route question. I googled a bit and apparently the only secret boss I can fight is
red rider
. Where do I go to encounter him?

RPGCrazied

It really bothers me I can't turn subtitles off, and I have to change my audio settings every single time I want to play. Why can't that be saved?

Dresden

Well my Phys MC is at Lvl. 34 and my stats are (w/o equipment stat bonuses)
STR-16
DEX-88
MAG-7
AGI-53
LCK-36
Skills:
Tathlum Shot
Charge
War Cry
Mediarama
Energy Drain
Bad Company
Dekunda
Javelin Rain
Any suggestions on my skills build? I was thinking of ditching Dekunda for something else.

Why do you have energy drain? That scales off MAG. It's not going to do anything for you. Dump Dekunda and Drain. Get a physical skill because you only have Gun skills right now, and that'll get you killed against gun-null enemies.

What's better to have, elemental spells with High pleromas or almighty spells?

For mobs? Almighty. Bosses typically have some elemental weakness and exploiting that is more beneficial.

Dilemma time: Do I wait it out and let my Dominion evolve into something (idk what), or do I fuse her off into a Tiamat that nullifies its only weakness?

edit: Holy fuck, what does Sea of Chaos do? Should I use Sea of Chaos or Megido?

Vamphuntr

For mobs? Almighty. Bosses typically have some elemental weakness and exploiting that is more beneficial.

Dilemma time: Do I wait it out and let my Dominion evolve into something (idk what), or do I fuse her off into a Tiamat that nullifies its only weakness?

edit: Holy fuck, what does Sea of Chaos do? Should I use Sea of Chaos or Megido?

Sea of Chaos does almighty damage to Law (and neutral?) aligned enemies.

For the almighty spells the upgrade sequence is Megido -> Megidola -> Megidolaon -> Antichthon

Sea of Chaos does almighty damage to Law (and neutral?) aligned enemies.

For the almighty spells the upgrade sequence is Megido -> Megidola -> Megidolaon -> Antichthon

Ah so basically Sea of Chaos is a shit spell and won't do anything against chaos aligned demons? I guess I'll fuse the Tiamat anyway and not use Sea of Chaos.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I would just fuse it off. The main benefit of evolved demons is just being able to get it a decent number of levels before you normally would, but with default skills it'll never be as good as something you can fuse instead.

You can get the same effect buy buying and upgrading the fusion level ceiling app anyways.

Vamphuntr

Ah so basically Sea of Chaos is a shit spell and won't do anything against chaos aligned demons? I guess I'll fuse the Tiamat anyway and not use Sea of Chaos.

I'm not sure if it won't do anything but it will deal little damage on them. There is a version of the spell for each alignment type too.

Blusby

Why do you have energy drain? That scales off MAG. It's not going to do anything for you. Dump Dekunda and Drain. Get a physical skill because you only have Gun skills right now, and that'll get you killed against gun-null enemies.

Ah, didn't know that about Drain will do, Javelin by the way is a physical skill so I may just go for some buffing skills.

Is Alice essentially usable the entire game, or if she sadly like the other demons in that she will be severely outclassed later on in the game?

PK Gaming

Can you afford rebuying him? If not, and if you really like angels then you shouldn't fuse him. I brought my archangel all the way to the end game, haha (it's a cherub now)

EDIT: And yes, Alice is still usable, Debilitate/DFM are that good. She's level 61 in my game.

Gattuso

I'm feeling pretty happy I was able to defeat Erlkoing with one demon since everyone else died in a single turn. i was surprised when my lv 25 raiju was pretty much invincible against it.

Can you afford rebuying him? If not, and if you really like angels then you shouldn't fuse him. I brought my archangel all the way to the end game, haha (it's a cherub now)

EDIT: And yes, Alice is still usable, Debilitate/DFM are that good. She's level 61 in my game.

Yeah I can afford rebuying Dominion. I dunno if I will though. That shit's expensive.

And good to hear. I remember Alice being part of my endgame team in SJ. Some demons just have that potential. :)

Dresden

Alice is immune to ailments, which is huge against some later boss fights. Her base resists/repels are good, too. One of the best units in the game, her low hp is the only thing that holds her back.

Late game spoilers:
What is pluto weak to?

Alice is immune to ailments, which is huge against some later boss fights. Her base resists/repels are good, too. One of the best units in the game, her low hp is the only thing that holds her back.

Oh really? I didn't even realize that. I hope I didnt waste putting Null Mind or something on her.

What other "low" level units can last the entire game?

wiibomb

will the free dlc have a limited time free? I haven't opened mine because I'm finishing Earthboud first before entering this...

brinstar

I put Life Gain on her and she has been keeping up pretty dang well. Think I might use her as long as I can.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm confused why this game is $49.99. I really want it, but I don't like the idea of paying $49.99 for a handheld game. It's nothing to do with how great or terrible a game is... just an odd precedent..
I assumed the extra content in the physical release was a good reason for the price hike...but then I just looked and the digital eShop version is $50 too? That's kind of weird.

coopolon

A guy in the bar will give you a very important quest.

Don't forget to talk to all NPCs! They will give more story info and sometimes quests. Only in this case it's actually a main quest.

The annoying thing about this is you have to answer the right way to get the quest. It tells me he is a cold looking man, I interpreted that as mean looking, not temperature wise. He asks me my story, I think, "oh this is a trap", tell him off, and move on looking for the next quest. Why give the player a choice when they have to choose only one way to progress in the game.

Jockel

FML, I just bought an imported American 3DS XL including SMT IV, EO IV and a bunch of other games. Mainly for this game, though. It better be worth it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
The annoying thing about this is you have to answer the right way to get the quest. It tells me he is a cold looking man, I interpreted that as mean looking, not temperature wise. He asks me my story, I think, "oh this is a trap", tell him off, and move on looking for the next quest. Why give the player a choice when they have to choose only one way to progress in the game.

Maybe it's because I'm a huge adventure game fan, but that doesn't faze me. (Also I'm always polite to people).

I don't want it to end. I feel it's getting closer.

Then you play through again! :D

I'm using a choice guide for Neutral route, but I'm stuck on which to choose. The guide has a choice where the the Law and Chaos choices are switched accidentally. Damn it. :<

Fuck. I want my Tiamat on my team for awhile, but she fuses into a demon with access to Luster Candy which I want on my MC, and on some demons. Maybe I'll Compendium her back if it isn't too costly.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck. I want my Tiamat on my team for awhile, but she fuses into a demon with access to Luster Candy which I want on my MC, and on some demons. Maybe I'll Compendium her back if it isn't too costly.
What demon? I could really use that luster candy and have a tiamat lying around.

What demon? I could really use that luster candy and have a tiamat lying around.

Holy Sleipnir.

Also: Is Loki a demon that can also last the whole game? I fused a level 58 demon with an ice weakness but some awesome magic skills. It fuses into Loki who is also level 58 but he seems better. But I don't want to do a same level fusion if Loki will become useless soon.

Vamphuntr

I never carried my demons for a long time in the game. As soon as I can get something better I fused them. I meant the game is coded with demons for all levels for a reason (even lvl 90+).

I never carried my demons for a long time in the game. As soon as I can get something better I fused them. I meant the game is coded with demons for all levels for a reason (even lvl 90+).

A select few can last the entire game though. Alice for example in both SJ and apparently this game too.

Vamphuntr

A select few can last the entire game though. Alice for example in both SJ and apparently this game too.

She has very low HP. The best demons in the game come with 700-800+ hp for instance. I'm not saying you cannot beat the game with her but there is a reason why she is a lvl 49 demon and not a lvl 85 demon balance wise.

You could always fuse her again and again to update her skills with some from higher demons if you like her that much but if a boss uses 3 almighty skills or 3 skills she can't block she will get thrashed.

You can also pass on debilitate to the MC or another demon anyway.

PK Gaming

I... I need a moment. I just experienced one of the best battles in the history of boss battles

Everything about the Isabeau boss battle is fucking perfect. I was wondering where the fuck she went, and i've gotta say her reappearance could not have been more perfect. The boss battle itself was pretty intense; Samurai vs Samurai, Demon vs Demon, she pulled out all the stops for this one and so did I. The music that played during this boss battle was incredible too. Fighting her was physically difficult too, since I knew I had to kill her. I tried sparing her at the end, but that only ended up buffing her stats... haha. I really want to complete that neutral now.

Isabeau's resolve is incredible

This is how you make a boss battle.

Top Bottom