• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Caelestis

I finished the game and some things confuse me... Help?
So my ending was when I create a black hole and everything turns into nothing. Is it supposed to be a normal ending? They don't really tell you much and just roll the credits. Also, who where The Whites and what was the point of showing what I assume are alternate realities with desert Tokyo and then Tokyo with demonoids?

PK Gaming

What made you cap your Luck at 130?

Once I hit 100~ luck, I noticed that my Judgement Light spell basically had a 100% hitrate on most enemies, so I stopped levelling up Luck and decided to focus on Magic instead to power up my Zio / Almighty skills.

On my next run i'm thinking of balancing between Physical and Magic. What should my level up rate be? I'm thinking of going with +2 Mag / + 2 Dex / 1 Luk | +1 Agi (as in alternating between the two)

So my ending was when I create a black hole and everything turns into nothing. Is it supposed to be a normal ending? They don't really tell you much and just roll the credits. Also, who where The Whites and what was the point of showing what I assume are alternate realities with desert Tokyo and then Tokyo with demonoids?

You got the bad ending.

I haven't finished the game (but can already guess the endings based on SJ which is why I highlighted this), but I am like 99% sure that's the bad ending you got.

Watashiwa

Instant death isn't too bad in SMT. Enemies weak to it will almost always die. Some demons are only weak to instant death. Just never bother using it on bosses.

Weakness isn't a guarantee of kill. Doesn't mean it's bad, just keep that in mind.

In this game at least the success rate is based on luck, so if you're investing in that you'll do well with it. Also, there ARE a handful of bosses with light weakness: David and Dullahan.

Once I hit 100~ luck, I noticed that my Judgement Light spell basically had a 100% hitrate on most enemies, so I stopped levelling up Luck and decided to focus on Magic instead to power up my almighty skills.

PenguinKnight is doing some statistical analyses on GameFAQs as to damage calculations. Turns out that ~183 magic + Concentrate lets you one-shot everything in the game (outside bosses of course).

Any way for me to avoid it if I have a save before it? D:

Just tell them you won't do it.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
PenguinKnight is doing some statistical analyses on GameFAQs as to damage calculations. Turns out that ~183 magic + Concentrate lets you one-shot everything in the game (outside bosses of course).
With what spell? Does concentrate affect instant kill chance?

PK Gaming

Just tell them you won't do it.

Yeah but that seems irrelevant to me since Light Judgement could one shot the enemies (and Light resist enemies were one rounded by my entire team) and the higher magic stat let me beat the final boss quicker.

Busaiku

Wow, looks like the Law route will go even quicker than I thought.

Already really far into the game in only 10 hours, pretty close to the end now.
And that's with my obsession of completing the maps as well (except for a certain map with lots of big, round rooms).

Watashiwa

With what spell? Does concentrate affect instant kill chance?

Antikhton +8. And no. (Also it's 186 magic, not 184)

Incidentally, PK also figured out what the spell level bonuses do:

penguin_knight on GameFAQs said:
+0: no adjustment
+1: Final damage +1
+2: MP requirement -1
+3: Final damage +3
+4: Final damage +5
+5: MP requirement -1
+6: Final damage +5
+7: Final damage +5
+8: Final damage +5

So, regardless which magic you cast, the difference between a +0 and +8 agi, bufu, megido, etc. are all 24 more damage, and 2 MP less to cast.

Notice that it seems to be the final, final bonus... after all factors were considered (aka, the 24 extra damage remains 24 even the caster has relevant amp and booster.)

I feel robbed.

Late game spoilers:
I went to the chaos alternate universe where everyone is demons. I beat one of the bosses, but now have to get to Camp Ichisomething. Where is that on the map? Can anyone give me a landmark or something?

Poyunch

The Neutral Path gets really stupid in the endgame.
Having to fill the Chalice with "hope is fucking stupid. The only quests available for me now are rare drop quests and I do not want to deal with them.

Shit the game is so hard! I cant even finish the final quest in the damn training!

I will post-pone the game till I finish Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Busaiku

So question about Neutral quests.
I read that you do all the quests at the end, does this mean only the quests you managed to get on your list, prior to the point, or will have access to all quests ever?

GeekyDad

Well, after 60-some hours, I broke down and bought the money DLC. It's pretty whorish the way it's implemented. I wanted to start collecting all of the armors and weapons in the game, not to mention lessen the tedium of fusion, so I did it. Not proud of it. They sure didn't put much effort into what they give you for those $3. Meh...

What is the main quest you have to accomplish?

Can anyone tell me if the 60 app point Skill Augment is worth it that causes skills to mutate? What does that even mean, anyway?

Extremely worth it. It increases the chances that when a demon levels up, one of their skills will randomly change to a better one. You can veto the change if you dislike it. It is one of the easiest ways to get some obscure skills. And can turn fodder demons sitting in your inventory into good fusion material.

PK Gaming

images

"I looked upon a man who was not my father in his nakedness"

Nags

Banned
I have largely been staying out of this thread because I like to make my experience my own with all SMT games.

I'm almost done with one play-through now and I'm just going to say this is my favorite game on 3DS.

Again, I feel sorry for anyone who can't get past their own pre-conceived notions of what constitutes a modern game. There are arguments that work for this when a game is down right bad or unplayable due to some archaic design, but this isn't one of them.

I came into this game with no expectations other than what was already communicated through Atlus. Not once did I lament over how this game could be "more like Nocturne".
I took it at face value and that made all the difference.

Vamphuntr

The Neutral Path gets really stupid in the endgame.
Having to fill the Chalice with "hope is fucking stupid. The only quests available for me now are rare drop quests and I do not want to deal with them.

You don't have to do those. Check in each guild for new quests. The quests you need to do to get first place :

-All the quests related to Nozomi and taking pictures. The final one is at a church w/ the fairies.
- The Tournament (prelims and finals)
-The Quest where you investigate the red knight the first time
-The Quest with the four devas

GeekyDad

images

"I looked upon a man who was not my father in his nakedness"

'Tis subtle, and perhaps unintentional -- though I don't believe it was -- but
turns out it wasn't a man after all. One of the themes that runs throughout the game (and pretty much every other SMT game) is the idea of demons being born from the desires of mankind. When those people were masked, they were mere men who forgot who they were and their place in the world, and after that...
Cool stuff.

Oh and I'm still having trouble finding Null X skills. I have Null Fire, Elec, Mind, and whichever one nulls poison. I haven't come across any others.

Late to this, but here are some demons that have Null Skills (besides Null Light/Dark):
Basilisk - Null Ice
Kaiwan - Null Force, Null Elec
Hare of Inaba - Null Fire, Null Gun
Kaiming Shou - Null Physical

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That feeling where you're feeling excited putting all the Nulls in a demon that makes him/her/it impervious to anything but only have 2 more rooms for a skill slot and then you can't decide what to put there so that you refrain from fusing him/her/it just for fear of getting things wrong v_________________v

Shit the game is so hard! I cant even finish the final quest in the damn training!

I will post-pone the game till I finish Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

I almost gave up in the first hour because I kept wiping every time I got into a new encounter. Just stick it out, grind two or three levels, and make sure to have some source of healing on hand at all times

Poyunch

You don't have to do those. Check in each guild for new quests. The quests you need to do to get first place :

-All the quests related to Nozomi and taking pictures. The final one is at a church w/ the fairies.
- The Tournament (prelims and finals)
-The Quest where you investigate the red knight the first time
-The Quest with the four devas

Do you know how to find the
Four Devas quest
? I don't have that quest/.

I'm really enjoying it so far, but man the characters are so dull! And the English voice acting isn't so great, IMO.

Still a really good RPG...and very challenging.

Vamphuntr

Do you know how to find the
Four Devas quest
? I don't have that quest/.

You are supposed to be able to get it at the guild in Ginza as soon as your as locked in the neutral path. It's the quest where (neutral path spoilers)
You carry the orb while finding the four devas around tokyo.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
A musing: I wonder if it's gonna be a good idea to create a specific demon just to house all of those Nulls-skills. To use it as a base ingredients to spread out all of the null skills to other demons that may not require all of those Nulls-skills but just specific stuff to complement their weakness.

Speaking of which, anyone here using the Money DLC? Ginza is freaking insane what's with all the required money even just to explore around. How am I supposed to cope with that especially after purchasing all of those terribly expensive elemental bullets and special fusions? Gah.

Top Bottom