• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

I love the presentation so far, but still can't decide between two of the three camera angles.

I started with the default one, but about 20 hours in I switched to the over the shoulder camera. It limits you your view of the field, but it feels more personal and I kind of like the tension that comes with not being able to see the entire field.

BlackJace

d4i63P3.jpg

mU5A9KE.png

s7x4SD8.jpg

That's about it for tonight, I'm afraid. I can do more tomorrow. Enjoy, you three :)

EDIT: Okay, I'll do two more.

SupaNaab

Went with my sister to wally world [walmart] to buy Donkey Kong and use her discount. I saw the CE sitting behind the glass without a price. Girl sold me it no problem. I hope I didn't just take someones pre-order.

jorgeton

Battle system is great. Like nocturne meets strange journey, but a bit faster. Game is surprisingly tough so far. But the penalty of death isn't bad. Too lenient maybe.

Also, it's way more dynamic visually than I thought it'd be. Spell effects are cool and sometimes kind of gruesome..
dat needle shot finishing animation..

ZenComp

Neo Member
Battle system is great. Like nocturne meets strange journey, but a bit faster. Game is surprisingly tough so far. But the penalty of death isn't bad. Too lenient maybe.

Also, it's way more dynamic visually than I thought it'd be. Spell effects are cool and sometimes kind of gruesome..
dat needle shot finishing animation..
It pains me a bit every time I see someone call the battles static or something like that. Even seeing trailers I thought the animations looked really nice, but I was still surprised when I saw them in the game.

So I heard there are different haircuts as DLC. Anyone got any pics? I like Flynn's design but his hair makes him look like Korra. :p

extralite

I think battle system doesn't mean what some of you think it means, battle system has nothing to do with graphics, and this has the same battle system from Nocturne.
Slightly simplified though. Status attack weaknesses are not press turnable anymore. It makes building a perfect team for both offense and defense a bit easier (as you can ignore status attacks) and reduces the number of lethal boss types.

Hmm. But then again, "Samurai"..., not to mention that hairdo.
The thing is, Japanese gamers digging Western medieval fantasy in a way cling to their own medieval history, just from their modernized/Western present reality.

Having samurais in a Euro-medieval setting is illuminating this process.

I forget, but do critical hits exist in the game?

Yeah then Luck is probably not that awful to pump, assuming you can get a decent crit rate with high enough luck.
Luck was my third most raised stat, after magic and speed. I ignored power and skill for the most part.

I think luck did help get me lots of criticals (which do press turn).

Slightly simplified though. Status attack weaknesses are not press turnable anymore. It makes building a perfect team for both offense and defense a bit easier (as you can ignore status attacks) and reduces the number of lethal boss types.

Actually, status effects CAN get you extra turns (or lose them if blocked). There are two types of status effects, body (flu/poison) and mind (bind/panic/charm), and demons can have innate weaknesses/resistances to each type. Status effect spells follow the normal rules of the press turn system, the only problem is that I don't think the demon's affinities for status effects aren't displayed anywhere on the status screen.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Actually, status effects CAN get you extra turns (or lose them if blocked). There are two types of status effects, body (flu/poison) and mind (bind/panic/charm), and demons can have innate weaknesses/resistances to each type. Status effect spells follow the normal rules of the press turn system, the only problem is that I don't think the demon's affinities for status effects aren't displayed anywhere on the status screen.

A demon's basic description will mention if it's immune/resistant to status effects.

I love broken street dates. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Sweet there's a Club Nintendo code.

The Gamefaqs board is a buzz with news of broken street dates, but so far seems its only NYC.

Let's hope more stores break date, especially in my city...lalala.

GeekyDad

The Gamefaqs board is a buzz with news of broken street dates, but so far seems its only NYC.

Let's hope more stores break date, especially in my city...lalala.

Fuck that. Mine's en route to me now, but it likely won't be here 'til Monday. I have no wish for anyone else to be playing this before me. :p

Top Bottom