• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

jorgeton

So anyone who has an early copy or the Japanese version... any tips? I heard the opening few hours were pretty tough.

That first dungeon is not kidding around. I'm not done with it yet, but I've probably died more in that dungeon than I have in any recent jrpg on the whole.

Only tips I can think of is to take advantage of enemy weaknesses for extra turns, carry a couple healing/revive items, and don't use auto battle until you are comfortably more powerful than the enemies. I used auto battle thinking I'd steamroll through the fodder --wrong. Regular enemies are a threat.

I'm loving the vibe in the game. It's a weird mash up of low and high tech all around. The conversations with npcs look straight out of Snes megaten, but the dungeons feel like a current gen game. Same with the actual story. You guys are in for a treat. They've done a great job with the game from what I've played so far.

JKTrix

I think I just 'finished' the first dungeon last night, in that I got the item I was supposed to. My whole party was dead (including Flynn) except that one Jaki and kept using its melee skill and lucked out. Now I have to exit the dungeon with my weak Jaki and 1HP Flynn. It'll be an adventure.

JKTrix

I just read in the manual that if you wipe a couple of times, the game will let you choose an easier difficulty with no penalty.

I'm pretty envious of those of you who are already playing the game because of broken street dates. It seems the stores in my area never break street dates. :(

GeekyDad

Curious, for those now playing it, if you can save anywhere, does there seem to be any real value in paying Charon when you die?

jorgeton

Curious, for those now playing it, if you can save anywhere, does there seem to be any real value in paying Charon when you die?

It saves the hassle of reloading from the main menu. Also the game over process is long. Lots of dialog before you get sent back to the title screen. It's faster to throw Macca at Charon so be shuts up and sends you back to the game. But I'm not seeing any other real benefit. Not yet anyway.

If it's been a while since you saved, presumably. I appreciate that the game has a save anywhere feature, but it's not like I'll be using it after every encounter.

Takuan

The monsters are depicted in sprites during battle, correct? Not a fan of the 3DS' prowess when it comes to polys, and all the videos I've seen are pretty grainy.

extralite

Actually, status effects CAN get you extra turns (or lose them if blocked). There are two types of status effects, body (flu/poison) and mind (bind/panic/charm), and demons can have innate weaknesses/resistances to each type. Status effect spells follow the normal rules of the press turn system, the only problem is that I don't think the demon's affinities for status effects aren't displayed anywhere on the status screen.
Are you sure? I remember seeing a status attack being registered as weakspot but it didn't result in a press turn. It only happened once to me during almost 90 hours playtime anyway but I got the impression that it wasn't part of the press turn system anymore.

Anyway, Nocturne had three differentiations of status weaknesses so it is already simplified. And you needed to consider those weaknesses for some enemies or they would be hard to defeat.

Nocturne didn't have gun attacks though but they were added in DDS.

A demon's basic description will mention if it's immune/resistant to status effects.
Really? I checked a few examples like Sukaaha, Rakushumi, Sukadi and Sarasvati, who should be immune to one or more types of status attacks according to Nocturne, but their description text in IV doesn't mention anything about those.

Soulhouf

I hate all this furage.
I was planning to get the digital version to avoid the typical 4-7 days shipping delay (I live in Europe) and still I will be playing it after everybody here.

I'm depressed ._.

SeZMehK

Look at what I found at my local game store. The usual place I pick up early games! It was even the last copy!
nA68awp.jpg

ZenComp

Neo Member
Is that really the MC's official name? lol. Where is it mentioned?
As said before, it's the default name. It's written in the name input box, but you can delete it.
Not to mention, it's been the name used in nearly all official screenshots done by Atlus Japan.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, all copies of the game will have the code for Club Nintendo.

Might as well mention downloading it from the eShop counts towards the promo for getting the $30 back.

Top Bottom