• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Soulhouf

Man, I finally figured out where to go. I missed a fucking staircase in Shinjuku, lol! Because of all my wondering around aimlessly I've been completely annihilating main story bosses. Feels good to finally make some progress! =D

Seriously, the game really needs a patch for the automap. Displaying false information isn't fun at all.
I got used to it now but I lost at least 20 hours wondering aimlessly because of that.

Yuterald

Seriously, the game really needs a patch for the automap. Displaying false information isn't fun at all.
I got used to it now but I lost at least 20 hours wondering aimlessly because of that.

Yeah, I was fighting shit (and beating them at low level!) that I definitely wasn't supposed to be fighting because I wasn't too sure exactly how to proceed. I literally turned a corner while exploring outside/above Shinjuku and saw the "next area" shit pop up and I'm like, "are you kidding me!?". =D

Dresden

Neutral path: I've done every side-quest,
yet I'm still not #1/champion. I've checked Ueno, Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Ginza for new ones but I got nothing. Is there a check list that I can refer to?

You're probably missing the
photo request in Tokyo Station. You don't need to do every sidequest, just the 'major' ones, and that's one of them.

NeonZ

I thought Beelzebub would be harder after all the complaints from people going neutral. I guess having Alice in my team, blocking one of his attacks every round really helped though, but, still, luster candy + debilitate + doping seemed to be really crippling his attacks. Megidolaon spam didn't even kill a lvl 60 Alice. I ended up closer to death in my battle against Azazel, although that was before I had even learned about the areas in south Tokyo, so my levels were lower.

Edit: Comparing some end game weapons, I don't like how
Aquila's sword is stronger than the Excalibur. Aquila is obviously more relevant to the story of this game, while the Excalibur is just a gift from the fairies in a challenge quest, but his sword has no story or name of its own, so it being randomly stronger than the Excalibur is, well, random. It's also kind of weird to get two end game quests for swords that just result in one of the weapons becoming immediately obsolete.

Einbroch

Banned
How long is this game? I'm just talking about beating it and maybe doing a few sidequests/chellenges here and there. I'm also on Easy, I don't really want to grind, but enjoy the characters, art, demons, and world.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
How long is this game? I'm just talking about beating it and maybe doing a few sidequests/chellenges here and there. I'm also on Easy, I don't really want to grind, but enjoy the characters, art, demons, and world.

Took me 45 hours to finish it and I still had some side-quests I didn't do.

Dresden

There's no need to grind. That said, people seem to wrap it up in 40~50 hours.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Lol. Clipped Wings 1 is $2.49, which probably means they're following the JP pricing. Clipped Wings 2 should be $3.49, which makes it a 6 buck DLC for 4 boss fights of demons which are already in the actual game. >_<

The Future of Tokyo DLC will probably be $3.99 if they follow the JP pricing too.
What IS worth picking up then?
Ugh, am I invisible? ( ._.)
I've felt that way often in threads lately. :(

CSX

Beat all of the 7 rare
Fiends

In fact, i got lucky and beat
Red Rider
twice! 100 incenses is nice :)

dewdrop

Banned
Fuckin' shit this game is massive. Just
arrested
the Black Samurai and about to go to Shinjuku park. Any kind of indication on how much more I have.

Also: is the Hunter's Tournament fucking impossible? I have a p. solid team, nothing else is trouble for me, but shit if that's not super hard. I have a tetrakarn/metatetrakarn(?) Lilith to cover my ass, but the enemies always attack first and beat my shit down, plus why do I lose the element knowledge on demon's I own? I keep accidentally dropping a Mazio-medium that gets absorbed. Any tipz?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
arrested
the Black Samurai and about to go to Shinjuku park. Any kind of indication on how much more I have.

Also: is the Hunter's Tournament fucking impossible? I have a p. solid team, nothing else is trouble for me, but shit if that's not super hard. I have a tetrakarn/metatetrakarn(?) Lilith to cover my ass, but the enemies always attack first and beat my shit down, plus why do I lose the element knowledge on demon's I own? I keep accidentally dropping a Mazio-medium that gets absorbed. Any tipz?

You still have like 40-50% left!
------

I'm pouring my points towar dexterity this new playthrough. I freaking love the special effects when using guns.

Daingurse

RIP in peace James Gandolfini
23571-6a03eab8ba1af2a2a67c51694cbe41a0.jpg

Yep, fantastic actor and a great guy in real life :(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
arrested

Be high leveled and have demon's immune to guns and fire. Equip your armor to cover those weaknesses as well.

What do you mean by element knowledge?

CSX

arrested

When the enemies you are fighting is considered a boss or mini-boss, the data you have on them will always be unknown even if you fought or fused them at one point

Okay, so I beat
Lillith
and I think I'm cemented into the Law path. Am I approaching the point where I can get the "bad ending" or did I pass it already?

Be high leveled and have demon's immune to guns and fire. Equip your armor to cover those weaknesses as well.

What do you mean by element knowledge?
The game "forgets" an enemy's weaknesses and resistences during the tournament even if you've discovered them before.

Dresden

arrested

Spam concentrated almighty damage spells.

GeekyDad

Wow, thank you for the kind words!

Yeah, that was really enjoyable. It's definitely my favorite theme in the game.

Beat all of the 7 rare
Fiends

In fact, i got lucky and beat
Red Rider
twice! 100 incenses is nice :)

Not worth it to me. The first time spawning him was mind-numbing enough. Got three of 'em first time around. Gonna try for another three this time. So, there's seven in total? I thought there were six, that's including
Mother Harlot

Just bought this and it's actually my first ever Shin Megami Tensei game, with the 30$ deal and love for RPG'a I figured why not?

First impressions... This game is hard as hell. Naraku? I think that's what it's called was kicking my ass earlier when I first explored it. I learned very quickly that you don't want to be down to just one demon because you will lose. But I made it up to the hall with the Minotaur with little trouble but now can't seem to finish him off.

War Cry coupled with his attacks can really cripple your team into nothingness. Only complaint I have is the lack of experience gained through normal fights... It might just be the area I'm in but it seems like what you get besides main big demon fights is abysmal...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Okay, so I beat
Lillith
and I think I'm cemented into the Law path. Am I approaching the point where I can get the "bad ending" or did I pass it already?

The game "forgets" an enemy's weaknesses and resistences during the tournament even if you've discovered them before.

Oh yeah I hate that shit.

CSX

Not worth it to me. The first time spawning him was mind-numbing enough. Got three of 'em first time around. Gonna try for another three this time. So, there's seven in total? I thought there were six, that's including
Mother Harlot

She is apparently a quest in Chaos path

the 7 are

Chemtrail

The Four Riders (You actually fight all 4 of them at once but at a much weaker state as a quest)

Trumpeter

Matador

LProtag

Completing the Challenge Quests to get the White Samurai Armor won't give me alignment points, right?

It's just the ones that have choices in them?

mjc

Christ, I'm getting dominated by the Minotaur. Any tips? I think I might have to just grind a bit more, my team is mostly at lvl 12 or so.

Sera O

Banned
Goddamn
Tayama and the Ashura-kai
are sick sons of bitches. Really wasn't expecting that.

Yeah, I was shocked at that too. It's a bit ambiguous but (spoilers for midtown)
with the children around it's a breeding program as well as harvesting centre right? When the first room I went into had a drooling woman strapped down, my mind immediately went to that place and I felt that same horror I felt while playing Raidou 2.
So disturbing.

Yeah, I was shocked at that too. It's a bit ambiguous but (spoilers for midtown)
with the children around it's a breeding program as well as harvesting centre right? When the first room I went into had a drooling woman strapped down, my mind immediately went to that place and I felt that same horror I felt while playing Raidou 2.
So disturbing.

Yeah that was the impression that I got from talking to all of the NPCs in that building. Plus
it seemed like they were raising and brainwashing the kids before harvesting, there were numerous NPCs that repeated that "We're the future of Tokyo" line or whatever it was.
. Easily one of the more intriguing side-stories in the game in my opinion.

GeekyDad

Goddamn
Tayama and the Ashura-kai
are sick sons of bitches. Really wasn't expecting that.

So disturbing.

Yup. To me, Midtown is the part of the game you really start to understand the M-rating. The game, otherwise, isn't particularly graphic in any way. But that part of the game is some grim shit that younger audiences probably don't need to be dealing with just yet.

It was also the "lock" for me in terms of absolute love for the story. I won't say I was surprised by the plot, but I was surprised by the explicitness and polish with which is was laid out.

So disturbing.

From what I gather
they're raising kids from a young age to be harvested, and force-breeding women specifically for the kids. I'm not sure if they're actually educating the kids or just brainwashing them. I recall that a thug outside the building once said that to join the Ashura-kai you either need a recommendation from a member or you have to present the organization with 20 children...

Sera O

Banned
Yeah that was the impression that I got from talking to all of the NPCs in that building. Plus
it seemed like they were raising and brainwashing the kids before harvesting, there were numerous NPCs that repeated that "We're the future of Tokyo" line or whatever it was.
. Easily one of the more intriguing side-stories in the game in my opinion.

Yes with
the kids
, I wasn't sure whether there was some purpose for
the brainwashing stuff besides maybe just keeping them docile
. But then I've only recently taken a confusing trip away
and maybe also through time
. I just defeated
Pluto
so there may be more about it later if I ever get back.

It was also the "lock" for me in terms of absolute love for the story. I won't say I was surprised by the plot, but I was surprised by the explicitness and polish with which is was laid out.

Agreed, this stuff is way more horrifying when you read between the lines to get it. I also liked the use of language here, when
the workers were casually talking about removing the feces from their 'livestock' - can't remember the precise words used, but
it was just the right kind of casual evil.

I recall that a thug outside the building once said that to join the Ashura-kai you either need a recommendation from a member or you have to present the organization with 20 children...

Oh. God. I totally missed that. D:

I just met
the 4 angels. Is this the turning point for which ending you get now that the friends split up? Should i make my second save here? Previously, i saved at the morality cave cause i thought that was a key moment.

Thanks in advance for the help

Agreed, this stuff is way more horrifying when you read between the lines to get it. I also liked the use of language here, when
the workers were casually talking about removing the feces from their 'livestock' - can't remember the precise words used, but
it was just the right kind of casual evil.

"Seedbed".

I just realized when selling relics there's a little description of the item from the point of view of someone from Mikado(probably Flynn?). Pretty fun to read through them.

Busaiku

Well, all 3 endings unlocked.
I saw the Bad Ending too, but didn't save after, so I just don't have that light on my file.
Oh well, not gonna go through the trouble of getting it.

Still somewhat confused about the Neutral ending, but oh well.

I can officially be done!
Excellent game all around.

CSX

Finished uploading me fighting against the 7 rare
Fiends
here
http://www.youtube.com/user/20Forist

I wrote walkthroughs in the vid description. Dont know if it was worth spending a week trying to get them to appear though lol
They are beatable in level 70s-80s but I didn't encounter them or heard about them till long after
I was thinking of plugging the 3ds input to my comp to record the audio and then sync it with the video but...meh too much work :p

Also dont come into one of these bosses hella rich cuz...

Sera O

Banned
I just realized when selling relics there's a little description of the item from the point of view of someone from Mikado(probably Flynn?). Pretty fun to read through them.

I remember the high heels one being amusing because it's kind of a sensible conclusion to come to. More sensible than the reality, anyhow.

Top Bottom