• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Beats

I think I'm lost. :x

Neutral Path spoilers:
I just completed the Monochrome Forest and now I'm back in Tokyo with Isabeau. But I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. I went to the tower to try and go back to Mikado on foot, but there's a barrier blocking the way. I'm kind of wandering around now aimlessly.

Agreed, this stuff is way more horrifying when you read between the lines to get it. I also liked the use of language here, when
the workers were casually talking about removing the feces from their 'livestock' - can't remember the precise words used, but
it was just the right kind of casual evil.

But their actions weren't evil.

A necessary sacrifice for the greater good. Besides, there were so many books and movies there. It's like a wonderland.

BlackJace

I think I'm lost. :x

Neutral Path spoilers:
I just completed the Monochrome Forest and now I'm back in Tokyo with Isabeau. But I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. I went to the tower to try and go back to Mikado on foot, but there's a barrier blocking the way. I'm kind of wandering around now aimlessly.

Go to the Florida bar in Kibi-something-cho

Dresden

Yeah, I was shocked at that too. It's a bit ambiguous but (spoilers for midtown)
with the children around it's a breeding program as well as harvesting centre right? When the first room I went into had a drooling woman strapped down, my mind immediately went to that place and I felt that same horror I felt while playing Raidou 2.
So disturbing.

The thing that got me was (Midtown spoilers)
one of the little girls talking about how love transcends age between she and Tayama . . . forget the exact quote, but jesus christ.

one of the little girls talking about how love transcends age between she and Tayama . . . forget the exact quote, but jesus christ.

Honestly I think you are reading too much into that.
I took it as a young girl crushing on an older man and him jokingly telling her "when you're older" except in this case it was "maybe later, since age doesn't matter" even though he knew well that there wouldn't BE a later for her. I don't think Tayama is a pedophile.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Nothing was more disturbing than (Camp Ichigaya Law Path)

Isabeau's portrait all bloody...... And then she slits her throat

That was horrible.

PK Gaming

Yeah that scene cut me deep. Took my breath away,

That was the tipping point, it made me want to restart my game on the spot and go for a neutral ending.

tumblr_lk976xKqfF1qdtfdbo1_400.gif

Sera O

Banned

Yeah. (Midtown spoilers)
That was a real 'huhhhh" moment. It's like, even if he's not personally doing brainwashed children, he really may as well be. Just close your eyes and think of Tokyo, kids.
. Ugh.

Persona86

Banned
Nothing was more disturbing than

Isabeau's portrait all bloody...... And then she slits her throat

That was horrible.

FOR FUCKS SAKE, I just clicked on that spoiler without out any thought at all. Dammit. :(

That was the tipping point, it made me want to restart my game on the spot and go for a neutral ending.

tumblr_lk976xKqfF1qdtfdbo1_400.gif
The fact that you can change this and I don't know how she ends up doing that makes me feel a little better. :)

Anyway I'm out of this thread until SMTIV comes to Europe, I've learned my lesson.

Gattuso

So what does waking up in the monochrome forest with Stephen mean? This is where the path gets locked right? or do I still have a ways to go.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
FOR FUCKS SAKE, I just clicked on that spoiler without out any thought at all. Dammit. :(

The fact that you can change this and I don't know how she ends up doing that makes me feel a little better. :)

Anyway I'm out of this thread until SMTIV comes to Europe, I've learned my lesson.

Sorry mang, but I guess that teaches you to not be snooping around spoiler infested threads :p

Persona86

Banned
Sorry mang, but I guess that teaches you to not be snooping around spoiler infested threads :p

LOL yeah, it was one of those times where your mind is barley focused, my mind drifted towards something SMTIV thread and for some reason clicked on the spoiler, then suddenly my mind became alert and shiiiiiiit noooooo. lol.

Can't wait to play this game.

Andrew J.

Been grinding and recruiting around Ueno for a while, decided to give the Dance of the Dead Challenge Quest a shot...

...yeah, I think I'm gonna wait until I'm a few levels higher to try it again.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Metro's review was too awesome, to not post haha.

... you’re left with a battle system whose basics are still worryingly similar to the original Dragon Quest games from back in the ‘80s.

... none have the depth or personality of the major characters in Persona 3 and 4.

Both the previous games had better stories than this and Persona 3 and 4 are on a whole other level of creativity and emotional engagement. Our only hope now is that Atlus can muster together a budget big enough to do Persona 5 justice on a home console, or otherwise we fear Shin Megami Tensei is never going to achieve the recognition it (usually) deserves.

Yes. Dat review! Outstanding stuff, eh?

ohlawd

what in the fuck? Difficult even on easy? Don't know what site this is but safe to assume the review is a joke written by a joke person?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The optional
Beelzebub
fight is the *ONLY* fight so far where I feel like I need to grind for a particular set of skills and getting an upgrade in armor that can resist/null/repel guns.

The *ONLY* fight so far where I *really* feel the need to stack Luster Candy on my folks, as well as a set of Null Nerve skills. And so far the *ONLY* fight where I THANK GOD that I put Energy Drains in my demons.

3 straight Megidolas in a row, fuck! As well as Heaven's Bow that can seemingly score a good critical hit percentage too! Everything below 800-ish HP is just annihilated no matter what! And if he gets even one smirk then ALL is dead due to the Megidolas!

Need multiple healers alternating between one another (A heals, A energy drain next when B heals, then A heals when B energy drain next, etc etc).

Holy fuck this fight.

Dresden

Well, a real game would just let you shoot the demons yourself. Why do you have to take turns?

The optional
Beelzebub
fight is the *ONLY* fight so far where I feel like I need to grind for a particular set of skills and getting an upgrade in armor that can resist/null/repel guns.

The *ONLY* fight so far where I *really* feel the need to stack Luster Candy on my folks, as well as a set of Null Nerve skills. And so far the *ONLY* fight where I THANK GOD that I put Energy Drains in my demons.

3 straight Megidolas in a row, fuck! As well as Heaven's Bow that can seemingly score a good critical hit percentage too! Everything below 800-ish HP is just annihilated no matter what! And if he gets even one smirk then ALL is dead due to the Megidolas!

Need multiple healers alternating between one another (A heals, A energy drain next when B heals, then A heals when B energy drain next, etc etc).

Holy fuck this fight.

Not sure how legit this is, but stacking Luster Candy only twice seems to cut down on Megido spam. Fully buffed = spam. Casting a reflect = spam.

If you have Salvation, Doping, and a persona that can resist sickness, you're good to go. Honestly.

Yo what did I just read with that review?

No new improvements from the last entry? Err summoning, negotiation & even skill allocation has been improved from Nocturne.

I hate to point this out but the Persona games & mainline games are different beasts. One is more hardcore & the other is more causal given what the games represent.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Well, a real game would just let you shoot the demons yourself. Why do you have to take turns?

Not sure how legit this is, but stacking Luster Candy only twice seems to cut down on Megido spam. Fully buffed = spam. Casting a reflect = spam.

If you have Salvation, Doping, and a persona that can resist sickness, you're good to go. Honestly.

I think the boss spams when he's close to death in any case. There's a specific level 69 demon (that serves as a boss, so spoiler!)
Mahamayuri
than comes with Salvation which is godsend in this fight

Caladrius

Yo what did I just read with that review?

No new improvements from the last entry? Err summoning, negotiation & even skill allocation has been improved from Nocturne.

I hate to point this out but the Persona games & mainline games are different beasts. One is more hardcore & the other is more causal given what the games represent.

Are you asking mainstream news magazines to do Research!?

As a side note, are there any good bind spells (and also is ailment success based on luck) ? I'm using the prometheus gun but it's a pain to actually inflict the status on anything.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I mean, I won, but I carry two Salvation demons with me with Energy Drains just to keep up with its Megidola spam.

I've been skipping Doping so far, favoring for other skills instead of it when I look at the description.

I am not fucked or anything like that aren't I? Worst comes to worst I will probably just recreate a
Beelzebub
from scratch to get it and to transfer it all over the place.

Anyways, the game can do a bit better with directions. I have just met with
Masakado
--Neutral path--and he gave me the next objective, collecting stuff. The only direction I got was 'just collect it from all over Tokyo', and this is a main quest too hahaha.

I have only the vaguest of idea where to go next... ah well.

Caladrius

Anyways, the game can do a bit better with directions. I have just met with
Masakado
--Neutral path--and he gave me the next objective, collecting stuff. The only direction I got was 'just collect it from all over Tokyo', and this is a main quest too hahaha.

I have only the vaguest of idea where to go next... ah well.

You have to do quests around Tokyo for it. The photography quest or the
Amaterasu
quest you get from random demons is a good place to start. After you finish that one there's another quest you can start from the Ginza Hunters' association.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You have to do quests around Tokyo for it. The photography quest or the
Amaterasu
quest you get from random demons is a good place to start. After you finish that one there's another quest you can start from the Ginza Hunters' association.

...what happens if those sidequests have already been completed before I talked to the dude...?

Damn. I didn't know the other paths were so dark. I got neutral my first playthrough so
everything was practically sunshine and rainbows
. Don't know if my heart can take the other paths now :(

Caladrius

...what happens if those sidequests have already been completed before I talked to the dude...?

There's probably plenty of others left to do You just need to get to rank one on the Hunter association leaderboards. If I remember correctly there's also a list of required quests that you have to finish before you can proceed.(Copy pasted from Gamefaqs)
4 Photography Quests (obtained from specific NPCs, not the challenge boards)
Tokyo Cosmos (4 Devas Quest)
All quests with Nozomi (Last quest has fairies)
Deliver Divine Alcohol (necessary to unlock last Nozomi quest)
One Hundred Eggs (Rukh Egg quest. Prerequisite for Hunter Tournament, credit AlwaysFidelis for spotting this)
Hunter's Tournament Prelims (prerequisite for Hunter Tournament Finals)
Hunter Tournament Finals
Flaming Banquet (Hachiko's Statue in Shibuya)
First Red Knight Quest south of Tennosu Shelter

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There's probably plenty of others left to do You just need to get to rank one on the Hunter association leaderboards. If I remember correctly there's also a list of required quests that you have to finish before you can proceed.(Copy pasted from Gamefaqs)
4 Photography Quests (obtained from specific NPCs, not the challenge boards)
Tokyo Cosmos (4 Devas Quest)
All quests with Nozomi (Last quest has fairies)
Deliver Divine Alcohol (necessary to unlock last Nozomi quest)
One Hundred Eggs (Rukh Egg quest. Prerequisite for Hunter Tournament, credit AlwaysFidelis for spotting this)
Hunter's Tournament Prelims (prerequisite for Hunter Tournament Finals)
Hunter Tournament Finals
Flaming Banquet (Hachiko's Statue in Shibuya)
First Red Knight Quest south of Tennosu Shelter

Hmmm, I already completed...
3 photography quests , Nozomi, Divine Alcohol thingie, 100 Hundred Eggs, Hunter's Tournament Prelims/Finals, Flaming Banquet, and the Red Knight Quests.

So that leaves....
photography quests and Tokyo Cosmos

Sorry to bother you but, would you (or anyone else here) care to help where I can find the last
photography quest (aside the tall building one, the old lady one, and the gal in Shinjuku.)... Wait, does the 1st one when you deliver camera to Nozomi
counts?

And info
on the Cosmos thing
, maybe? Where I can initiate it and how can I complete it? Thanks.

Edit: aaaaaaaaaaand I get the quest as soon as I talk to the bartender in Ginza *feels silly*

Caladrius

Hmmm, I already completed...
3 photography quests , Nozomi, Divine Alcohol thingie, 100 Hundred Eggs, Hunter's Tournament Prelims/Finals, Flaming Banquet, and the Red Knight Quests.

So that leaves....
photography quests and Tokyo Cosmos

Sorry to bother you but, would you (or anyone else here) care to help where I can find the last
photography quest (aside the tall building one, the old lady one, and the gal in Shinjuku.)... Wait, does the 1st one when you deliver camera to Nozomi
counts?

And info
on the Cosmos thing
, maybe? Where I can initiate it and how can I complete it? Thanks.

The final photo quest is in Tokyo station
, I do believe.You need about 15,000 Macca
total to open up the area in Ginza that's required. You may need to open up the areas in Ginza first. I haven't actually gotten to those quests myself.

The
Tokyo Cosmos
quest is found in Ginza's Hunter association.
After that there's a shrine in Ikebukuro you have to visit
. That will start the actual quest.
The Devas are found (this is from memory, so you may have to search a bit) in the four cardinal directions on the world map. They'll be red enemy static. There's one far north of ikebukuro, past the hole in the wall.The west one is around shinjuku in the streets. The east and south ones require the Torifune shawl from the Amaterasu quest. The east one is on the artificial island that's south of the dead end that goes east from Ginza. The one in the south has to be reached from a desert area in the far south accessible only with the shawl. There should be a pair of highways sprawling east and north of it. It'll be on one of those two paths. Hopefully that helps

Top Bottom