• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

You basically have to complete a certain number of quests. I know for a fact you need to do the Photography quest line and a few others that I can't remember at the moment. I'm at work so I can't really dig around too much, but this came up a few pages back in the thread. Sorry I couldn't help more!

EDIT: Googled a bit in the thread the other main quest I forgot is the
Four Devas quest where you have to fight them, I think it's unlocked as a challenge quest at a Hunter Association

thanks

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Neutral End Game Last Dungeons Spoiler

Is there anything left to do in
Infernal and Blasted Tokyo after you complete both last dungeons? Can't seem to find anymore quests beyond one in Infernal Tokyo where I had to locate 6 demons to defeat on the world map.

I finally received the game a few days ago and after my first week back at Uni, I've just now found the time to give it a go. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for someone completely inexperienced with the game and franchise in general? This is my first SMT game and I was expecting a difficult learning curve but not to this extent. I've already seen my party wiped several times, the latest by a Horde of some kind that seemed to come from nowhere. I'm also having a lot of trouble recruiting demons; most seem to take my items/macca and then leave.

NeonZ

I finally received the game a few days ago and after my first week back at Uni, I've just now found the time to give it a go. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for someone completely inexperienced with the game and franchise in general? This is my first SMT game and I was expecting a difficult learning curve but not to this extent. I've already seen my party wiped several times, the latest by a Horde of some kind that seemed to come from nowhere.

Pay attention to elemental weakness and resistances. This game has no resistance stat, so everyone, both playable characters and enemies, are glass cannons who can fall in a few hits. Hitting elemental weakness also gives you (or the enemies) extra turns. On the other hand, missing attacks, or attacks completely blocked/reflected due to elemental resistances make you lose your turns. Skills with low hit rates generally aren't worth it due to the danger of missing attacks. Critical hits (which can only happen with physical attacks) also result in extra turns. However, if an attack results in extra turns and missing turns (like a multi-hit attack that criticals once, but misses another foes), it seems like only the missing turns count.

Also, Rakujaka (raises defense) and other stat boosting or lessening spells can be used up to three times (press X to see the active bonuses) and they can be very important in boss battles).

I'm also having a lot of trouble recruiting demons; most seem to take my items/macca and then leave.

When you attempt to recruit demons, ending the conversation after giving three gifts often works. Also, eliminate the other ones and leave only one demon around when you attempt to negotiate in case it attempts to attack you. Don't get attached to the demons, fuse them often to get stronger ones. Only in later levels you'll get demons that are good enough to keep around for a long time.

For early game, Llham Dearg might be useful and could be kept around for a while, as long as you aren't facing ice using enemies. He has resistance to physical and shooting, which should help a lot early on - aside from the battles with ice enemies, due to his ice weakness. He has a multi hit skill with low hit rates though, so remember that you might end up losing turns if he uses it and misses even one hit. Keep track of your own armor too.

The free DLC white samurai coat has good stats that can last you almost half of the game, but it has an ice weakness, and you'll face a horde of ice opponents fairly early on, so remember to remove it if you die there once and attempt to face them again. On the other hand, your initial samurai coat is ice resistant, so you should be wearing it while going to that battle, even if you'll lose some stats due to it. Equipment stat boosts here are small enough that you'll want to focus more on the resistances and weakness of the chest piece rather than raw stats.

Soulhouf

Not sure how legit this is, but stacking Luster Candy only twice seems to cut down on Megido spam. Fully buffed = spam. Casting a reflect = spam.

Etrian Odyssey IV has some bosses who punish you when you buff a lot
The infamous Thunder Dragon who casts an insta death spell with 100% chance to hit.
In Strange Journey the late/optional bosses tended to cancel your buff/debuff if you use them a lot.
So, that's legit I would say.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Aaaand done.

My life is so empty right now. What an amazing game.

My only criticisms of that playthrough is that the story took few cliche turn near the end, and that I spent way, WAY too much time screwing around. Everyone who completed this game in the 40-hour range has probably had a more enjoyable experience. My completion time was 84 hours! the tediousness of some of the tasks I forced myself to do rubbed some of the freshness off.

But other than that, it was an absolutely amazing experience. The team at Atlus has outdone themselves in creating one of the deepest, most progressive, welcoming, yet not forgiving, SMT project yet. My personal GOTY so far!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Anyone know the location of the 4 devas?
I had trouble finding them for a bit. This post from GameFAQs helped:

Two are past shibuya in the new areas.

1, north of toyozu which is a new area
2, south of tennozu which is also a new area

the other two are a bit out of the way
3, from shinjuku head west towards the place that starts with N (nakoma?) it should be in a road that is box shaped

4, take the tunnel that leads to ikeburkuro (not the terminal) when you come out on the other side look for a hole in the wall, pass the hole and up is the last one.

This mission would also be a LOT easier if you have already completed
Amaterasu's
side quest.

:) Yeah, you basically created an Almighty magnet. Those builds look cool, but are fodder for the fiends.
So true. I wonder if the spam would have been less frequent without someone like my Shiva. I wasn't so sure if he was necessarily a magnet since some bosses were still careless enough at times. (fwiw, I went back and redid my fusions to replace the Blast with Energy Drain since his MP is so low)

Moonlight

Banned
Finally picked the game up, and just entered into the
'real world'
. Fucking amazing game so far, and apparently it hasn't even fully opened up? Game is a lot harder than I ever expected (got sent to Charon a lot sooner than I expected), but I'm open for the challenge.

Also, the fusion system in this game is amazing, holy shit. This is what I've always wanted, oh man.

GeekyDad

So true. I wonder if the spam would have been less frequent without someone like my Shiva. I wasn't so sure if he was necessarily a magnet since some bosses were still careless enough at times. (fwiw, I went back and redid my fusions to replace the Blast with Energy Drain since his MP is so low)

Yeah, it seems that the AI for all of the fiends have obvious exploits. Fought three of 'em thus far, and with each one, if I kept at least one party member (usually my MC) without a null/repel/drain to physical and whatever elemental spell the fiend likes to cast, they won't Almighty me. But you'll also want to be careful not to overdo it with the debuffs, since it will prompt them to Luster Candy themselves a ton.

Soulhouf

Yeah, it seems that the AI for all of the fiends have obvious exploits. Fought three of 'em thus far, and with each one, if I kept at least one party member (usually my MC) without a null/repel/drain to physical and whatever elemental spell the fiend likes to cast, they won't Almighty me. But you'll also want to be careful not to overdo it with the debuffs, since it will prompt them to Luster Candy themselves a ton.

Forgive me if my question is stupid, but where can I find the fiends?
I'm not far from the end and I'm trying to clean up the side quests since I didn't bother with them until now (neutral route, if that changes anything).

GeekyDad

Forgive me if my question is stupid, but where can I find the fiends?
I'm not far from the end and I'm trying to clean up the side quests since I didn't bother with them until now (neutral route, if that changes anything).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672441-shin-megami-tensei-iv/66838576

Mother Harlot
is Chaos-NG+-only, and though not a fiend,
Demiurge
is also apparently Chaos-only (just defeated him a few minutes ago (second playthrough on Chaos).

Caladrius

Oh man,
Pluto
was a reaaally creepy boss.

Not sure where to go next.

Head back towards the populated underground shelter and talk to Akira. After that there's a ruined version of camp ichigaya sitting nearby. Head there and into the Gate chamber.

I'm a new newbie to the franchise, and this game is kicking my ass! I died several times in the first dungeon to the point that they recommended I change my difficulty. Which I did, and then died again!

Really liking it so far though. I'm worried that I'm going to trail behind on the monster taming though, that's an aspect I've never been too good at in these types of games.

njean777

Ok, maybe I am totally blind, but where is the shop in Ueno? I found the black market, but no proper shop.... I need it for the film quest.

I'm a new newbie to the franchise, and this game is kicking my ass! I died several times in the first dungeon to the point that they recommended I change my difficulty. Which I did, and then died again!

Really liking it so far though. I'm worried that I'm going to trail behind on the monster taming though, that's an aspect I've never been too good at in these types of games.

I recommend getting use to exposing enemies weaknesses, if you do not have a particular weakness for a boss, you will die constantly. What I do is have my main have all the different types of elements and healing spells. I do agree though the start of the game is really hard, but it gets easier as you get more demons and more spells to choose from.

Edit: NVM found it, I am blind.

esoterika

Neo Member
Post-Yamato spoilers:

So a warning: Be careful when
navigating the Alternate Tokyo worldmap. I was climbing a hill trying to figure out how to get in a crater and clipped under the map. http://i.imgur.com/AmhUQuF.jpg Cool I guess? Lost some progress though.

Is this the true Chaos ending? :D

jorgeton

Major Law path spoiler:

That Isabeau boss fight. OMG. Deeply disturbing. Hard scene to sit through. I felt a little sick afterward.

After worrying about it all week, I totally lucked into the Neutral route last night. So happy. I went Neutral in Nocturne and Devil Summoner when I played them both for the first time several years back, and it would have felt wrong any other way in SMT IV.

This game is so great. Going to be bummed when it's over.

GeekyDad

Chaos done. Just Law to go now.
Hikaru...not a surprise
. Obvious but enjoyable. And though there are a lot of obvious elements to the story, I like that not everything is hammered home in terms of the ideas the game suggests and throws out there.

Hylian7

A couple of late game questions.

Am I stuck away from neutral right now? The cynical man still says I am polite, but I chose to go with Walter and see Lilith, who told me to go to Camp Ichigaya, which brings me to my next question.

Where the hell is Camp Ichigaya? I know virtually nothing about real life Japan, so I don't know where to start looking.

How close am to the end of the game?

Bogeypop

Am I stuck away from neutral right now? The cynical man still says I am polite, but I chose to go with Walter and see Lilith, who told me to go to Camp Ichigaya, which brings me to my next question.

Where the hell is Camp Ichigaya? I know virtually nothing about real life Japan, so I don't know where to start looking.

How close am to the end of the game?

1) You're not locked on your route yet.

2) Northwest of Shibuya IIRC, the guy who was blocking your way at the overpass

3) You're I'd say 70%

I was worried about the same thing, but just as Aeana assured me, you'll get a few more opportunities to balance out your previous decisions with new Chaos choices before the lock.

I was still considered "Very polite" by the cynical man after doing what you did too, but after that I made every Chaos-leaning choice I could make (with the exception of one minor one that you're coming up on, because it seemed a little too messed up) and I managed to unlock Neutral.

I could elaborate with spoiler tags without spoiling much at all if you'd like.

My overpowered team so far.... And damn I felt like there was no challenge at all when I'm using this set.
I've beaten Lv 90 Overlord Astaroth (2 encounter) by auto battle, Lucifer, all the bosses in Lucifer Palace with simply using Crit Wave and reflect, Mastema only with few turn, even Fiends like a piece of cake....
*cough*

MC:
- Riot Gun
- Critical Wave+8
- Energy Drain+8
- Mediarahan+5
- Luster Candy
- Die for Me!
- Judgement Light
- Antichthon

Shiva:
- Madness Nails
- Antichthon
- Enduring Soul
- Drain Gun
- Drain Ice
- Repel Force
- Victory Cry
- Repel Phys

Vishnu:
- Salvation
- Riot Gun
- Drain Fire
- Drain Ice
- Repel Force
- Repel Elec
- Enduring Soul

Metatron:
- Titanomachia
- Invitation
- Antichton
- Judgement Light
- Salvation
- Victory Cry
- Repel Phys
- Enduring Spul

At some point I'm going to have to stop my habit of collecting all the demons in an area, pokemon style, right? Still pretty early in the game; for reference, [early spoilers]
I just saved Navarre

Great game, finished it yesterday. I love the atmosphere and desolation, the music is superb as well. Turned out a lot better than I'd initially expected (Nocturne was a milestone for jrpgs imo). Got fairly easy the further it went along, though I'm sure that's been mentioned a million times.

Anyways, how much of the game will I be missing out on if I don't NG+?

Great game, finished it yesterday. I love the atmosphere and desolation, the music is superb as well. Turned out a lot better than I'd initially expected (Nocturne was a milestone for jrpgs imo). Got fairly easy the further it went along, though I'm sure that's been mentioned a million times.

Anyways, how much of the game will I be missing out on if I don't NG+?

There are few overpowered demons for NG+ like Astaroth. And they came with a quest too, so just like Pokemon, you need to collect them all lol

dewdrop

Banned
At some point I'm going to have to stop my habit of collecting all the demons in an area, pokemon style, right? Still pretty early in the game; for reference, [early spoilers]
I just saved Navarre

if you get whatever the scout ability is that bags you cash for recruiting and buy a couple expansion slots, it's all good. easy way to make money, then you just fuse away until you have a couple more open slots, recruit more, rinse repeat.

This neutral route is probably going to have me think less about the other paths when I play them lol. I'm surprised at how the game opens up more. 50 hrs and still going

Einbroch

Banned
I can't stop playing this game. The gameplay is alright, but the world, twists, and characters are keeping me hooked.

I really like the demon system, just not a huge fan of the combat system. But the fact that I put in six hours last night and only stopped when I realized it was two in the morning says a lot.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I can't stop playing this game. The gameplay is alright, but the world, twists, and characters are keeping me hooked.
I'm the complete opposite. I love how streamlined and even stylish the combat and exploration systems are, even if apocalyptic Tokyo isn't a setting that I particularly enjoy. That said, the plot's continuous shift from being terribly obvious to confusing obtuseness with plot complexity has killed any interest I might have had. Plot has always been my least favorite part in the overarching SMT series though, but this is the first game of the greater series to have enough elements that interest me that I'm able to look past it, and I've really enjoyed what I've played so far.

Item Box

Probably the most upsetting scene in the game for me. Nothing else really elicited any kind of emotional response. This was just next-level.

Before that I got to that point I thought "ok ill just finish this, save and go to sleep"

That part kept me up for a good while.

Kind of LttP on this one, but is there any SMTIV equivalent of Persona 4's Go-hom? I'm saved right by the Minotaur, and wouldn't mind fast traveling out to gear up a bit.

dewdrop

Banned
Kind of LttP on this one, but is there any SMTIV equivalent of Persona 4's Go-hom? I'm saved right by the Minotaur, and wouldn't mind fast traveling out to gear up a bit.

not that I've encountered near to 30 hours in... might be a demon ability or super-rare item, but definitely nothing "like" Go-hom

also I was thumbing ahead in the guide it comes with... the guide just drops off suddenly, huh? kinda weird.

Hey everyone, just popping in to post my love for the franchise in general. I'm cash strapped atm and want to pick this up and was wondering if anyone wasn't going to use their club N code. I got FE when it first came out and would be using the $30 for purchasing SMTIV. Since I am assuming it is up on the eShop. Either way, if someone wants to provide it or not I will be getting the game at some point regardless, though likely after a decent price drop or sale offer. $50 is kind of steep. Happy dungeoning everyone!

Top Bottom