• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

BlackJace

If I chose the Reincarnation start for NG+ and am having second thoughts, there's no way I can switch to New Life start without beating the game again right?

It feels so weird obliterating everything right now.

ohlawd

If I chose the Reincarnation start for NG+ and am having second thoughts, there's no way I can switch to New Life start without beating the game again right?

It feels so weird obliterating everything right now.
You're right.

I love curbstomping shit so keeping my levels was a no brainer.

Young Magus

It seems as if many folks in here are getting Neutral or Law, strange.

Also, Neutral Spoilers:
You do NOT need to fight Beelzebub for the quest, just do the first part of the quest that opens the fight.

And if anyone whats suggestions on ways to get neutral here's what I did:
When your at the Hall of Ethics, go two left and one right. Go with Walter during the split. This was enough to get me to neutral at the moment. Make sure to back down before you press the button as it will give you SOME law points. After that the game will manly built Law points for you with very few chaos choices offered. After rejecting the white ending (which will just you +5 Law) I went with "Destroy the Status Quo". This was enough to knock me into Neutral.

Watashiwa

It seems as if many folks in here are getting Neutral or Law, strange.

Not surprising. The main plot gives a lot of mandatory Law points, so unless you go out of your way to get chaos points you're going to end up law-aligned.

Just managed to reach Shibuya in my NG+. Cynical man still says I'm polite, but I haven't even started racking up those chaos points yet. Should still on track for Neutral.

So are you fellows reincarnating or starting a new life? What do you keep from your previous game with new life? Apps and compendium?
In a Reincarnation NG+ you get everything but your summoned demons. In a New Life NG+ you only have your compendium and your skill slots for both MC and demons. Additionally, you can bring one demon back with you if you register it to your Streetpass card.

If you haven't had any streetpasses, I suggest the New Life end. Those skill slots are worth about 20 levels.

Busaiku

So are you fellows reincarnating or starting a new life? What do you keep from your previous game with new life? Apps and compendium?

I Reincarnated 3 times, and did New Life once (on accident).
In New Life, you only keep the compendium and skill slot/demon skill slot apps.
Nothing else.

More crazy plot moments.

Not even sure how to tag this, so just don't read if you haven't gotten really far/beaten the game.
That ruined Tokyo becoming the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado was just 'what'? And then Jonathan says 'Oh, then you'd be King Akira of the Eastern Kingdom' and I go 'oh shit'. I'm not really sure how that fits with everything else yet and all of the timelines mentioned, but...yeah

This fucking game.

Young Magus

More crazy plot moments.

Not even sure how to tag this, so just don't read if you haven't gotten really far/beaten the game.
That ruined Tokyo becoming the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado was just 'what'? And then Jonathan says 'Oh, then you'd be King Akira of the Eastern Kingdom' and I go 'oh shit'. I'm not really sure how that fits with everything else yet and all of the timelines mentioned, but...yeah

This fucking game.

Duuudddeeeee,
just wait til you get to the next area it'll make more sense/add more to the plot.

Hylian7

One more thing I had a question about late game.

Since I chose to side with Walter, I tried to go to the Barracks to heal and Jonathan stood there and just said his usual spiel. Does this mean I don't get free healing anymore?

Soulhouf

What's up with Blight? Every time I replace it by another skill because I believed it was better, I end up going back to Blight.
It's so cheaply powerful.

NeonZ

Law is kind of shafted as far as endgame content goes...
Mastema and Azazel are nice, but then it misses a bunch of the content shared between neutral and chaos.
Well, at least the boss DLC apparently changes some dialogue according to your alignment, so I guess it might be worth it to play through it multiple times even if there's no proper new game + content for law.

Law is kind of shafted as far as endgame content goes...
Mastema and Azazel are nice, but then it misses a bunch of the content shared between neutral and chaos.
Well, at least the boss DLC apparently changes some dialogue according to your alignment, so I guess it might be worth it to play through it multiple times even if there's no proepr new game + content for law.

I prefer to think of it as Law being perfectly suited for a first run. Then again I lean somewhere between Chaos and Neutral most of the time.

PusherT

2 things

The music in ueno rocks especially the music the music in ueno bar. And I love "Bing more Macca" next time black market guy.

Anyways is it better to have weaker demons and level them up or keep fusing them to level them up that way??

2 things

The music in ueno rocks especially the music the music in ueno bar. And I love "Bing more Macca" next time black market guy.

Anyways is it better to have weaker demons and level them up or keep fusing them to level them up that way??

Depends on the skills the demon learns. Sometimes demons learn skills that are hard to get from fusing (but that's usually more a thing with the high end demons though you can get powerful skills earlyish this way). Also levelling demons up to learn all their skills is how you get them to Whisper to you , so you should definitely be doing some whispering or your skills will fall behind.

I personally prefer to level my demons up until they get all their skills then fuse them but its probably most efficient to fuse demons who only learn junk skills straight away for immediate power ups.

vctor182

It probably does, but still, I'm not complaining about the extra points at all. :D

They should´ve done this for devices who also have Fire Emblem, since they have that promotion going on.

Anyways, I know Str and Dex are the least importan stats if you're going for a Mag build but should I at least raise them a little? or should I just leave them alone.

They should´ve done this for devices who also have Fire Emblem, since they have that promotion going on.

Anyways, I know Str and Dex are the least importan stats if you're going for a Mag build but should I at least raise them a little? or should I just leave them alone.

You can safely ignore them unless you're doing Neutral route in which case you may want to get Dex and Str up to 100 for the unique Plasma Sword and Gun, but since you can farm all Incenses on the Neutral Route, you're better leaving it until the end and just grinding incenses (you only need 31 incenses in a stat go get to 100 and you'll get quiet a few on just a normal playthrough without grinding from quests and chests).

You can safely ignore them unless you're doing Neutral route in which case you may want to get Dex and Str up to 100 for the unique Plasma Sword and Gun, but since you can farm all Incenses on the Neutral Route, you're better leaving it until the end and just grinding incenses (you only need 31 incenses in a stat go get to 100 and you'll get quiet a few on just a normal playthrough without grinding from quests and chests).

Where can you farm Luck Incenses at?

Oyashiro

Jesus, this game is hard. I'm like an hour in and already died three times. Also, recruiting demons is fucking annoying in this game.

Should I get those 'extra XP for talking/fusing' apps early game? On one hand, you need to drop a lot of app points into them before they start making a significant difference, but on the other hand, they are the only apps that benefit from being unlocked early. For late game, I imagine it doesn't really matter if you got the extra skill slots/demon slots early or mid game, because you constantly change your skills/demons anyway, but it does matter for the extra XP apps, because XP is 'permanent'.

BlackJace

Jesus, this game is hard. I'm like an hour in and already died three times. Also, recruiting demons is fucking annoying in this game.

Trust me, as you go on, the game (and negotiation) get much easier. Towards the end is where the difficulty picks back up.

It's like a bell curve.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Welp, 1st walkthrough Neutral path, done. 88 Hours 15 Minutes.

Ending party:

MC Level 96 St 34 Dx 216 Ma 7 Ag 200 Lu 208.
Debilitate+3, Desperate Hit+8, Hades Blast+8, Luster Candy+3, Bad Company+3, Charge+3, Dekunda+3, Dekaja+3

Herald Uriel Level 77 St 103 Dx 9 Ma 76 Ag 88 Lu 74
Null Phys, Normal Gun, Null Fire, Drain Ice, Repel Elec, Drain Force, Null Light, Resist Dark
Skills: Null Phys, Drain Ice, Drain Force, Lightning of God, Luster Candy, Energy Drain, Charge, Kannuki-Throw (this shit is hilarious)

Herald Metatron Level 88 St 122 Dx 108 Ma 87 Ag 99 Lu 81
Null Phys, Resist Gun, Resist Fire, Drain Ice, Resist Elec, Resist Force, Null Light, Resist Dark.
Skills: Salvation, Luster Candy, Mana Surge, Energy Drain, Null Phys, Drain Ice, Null Mind, Null Nerve.

Tyrant Penis Mara Level 94 St 125 Dx 110 Ma 104 Ag 100 Lu 81
Repel Phys, Drain Gun, Null Fire, Drain Ice, Drain Elec, Null Force, Null Light, Null Dark,
Skills: Antichthon, Salvation, Doping, Energy Drain, Repel Phys, Drain Ice, Null Fire, Null Force

Now.... what path to take next... Hmmmmm.

Should I get those 'extra XP for talking/fusing' apps early game? On one hand, you need to drop a lot of app points into them before they start making a significant difference, but on the other hand, they are the only apps that benefit from being unlocked early. For late game, I imagine it doesn't really matter if you got the extra skill slots/demon slots early or mid game, because you constantly change your skills/demons anyway, but it does matter for the extra XP apps, because XP is 'permanent'.

Always prioritize skill slots apps for MC and especially for your demons first.

BlackJace

Welp, 1st walkthrough Neutral path, done. 88 Hours 15 Minutes.

Ending party:

MC Level 96 St 34 Dx 216 Ma 7 Ag 200 Lu 208.
Debilitate+3, Desperate Hit+8, Hades Blast+8, Luster Candy+3, Bad Company+3, Charge+3, Dekunda+3, Dekaja+3

Herald Uriel Level 77 St 103 Dx 9 Ma 76 Ag 88 Lu 74
Null Phys, Normal Gun, Null Fire, Drain Ice, Repel Elec, Drain Force, Null Light, Resist Dark
Skills: Null Phys, Drain Ice, Drain Force, Lightning of God, Luster Candy, Energy Drain, Charge, Kannuki-Throw (this shit is hilarious)

Herald Metatron Level 88 St 122 Dx 108 Ma 87 Ag 99 Lu 81
Null Phys, Resist Gun, Resist Fire, Drain Ice, Resist Elec, Resist Force, Null Light, Resist Dark.
Skills: Salvation, Luster Candy, Mana Surge, Energy Drain, Null Phys, Drain Ice, Null Mind, Null Nerve.

Tyrant Penis Mara Level 94 St 125 Dx 110 Ma 104 Ag 100 Lu 81
Repel Phys, Drain Gun, Null Fire, Drain Ice, Drain Elec, Null Force, Null Light, Null Dark,
Skills: Antichthon, Salvation, Doping, Energy Drain, Repel Phys, Drain Ice, Null Fire, Null Force

Now.... what path to take next... Hmmmmm.

Always prioritize skill slots apps for MC and especially for your demons first.

Man, what exactly were you doing for 88 hours o_O? I clocked in at 50:42 at level 77.

NeonZ

Man, what exactly were you doing for 88 hours o_O? I clocked in at 50:42 at level 77.

I think that's what happens if you attempt to finish every challenge quest and waste some time talking to npcs after story events to get new dialogue. I'm at 81 hours and that's in the law path. The only thing remaining at this point to me, at least for this initial playthrough, are the fiends, which I probably won't bother with, and finishing
Lucifer's palace.

im at 83 hours and I only just got (neutral path spoilers)
to unstone Masakado, who now wants me to fill the chalice (which is doing almost every sidequest)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

What were you doing for 50:42?! I beat the game in 40:25!

I think that's what happens if you attempt to finish every challenge quest and waste some time talking to npcs after story events to get new dialogue. I'm at 81 hours and that's in the law path. The only thing remaining at this point to me, at least for this initial playthrough, are the fiends, which I probably won't bother with, and finishing
Lucifer's palace.

*I am spoilering my NeonZ quote, just in case.

Not really spent on finishing challenge quests or talk to NPCs no, although I did that too. Most of those 88 hours were spent on leveling my Pokemons Demons for their skills. I am OCD for leveling up all of my Demons until all of the skills are revealed before fusing them, so you can imagine this will take a long time. It just feels *wrong* for me to fuse a Demon before I get to see all of their available skills, hahaha.

Getting a few levels for A and B so that their skills all appearing, then fusing C, and then the process gets repeated alllll over again form the beginning if I want to fuse C with D. I always levelled up every new demons I got from Scouting too, up until I reveal all of their skills.

So yeah, lots of time for that,

duckroll

I'm over 50 hours now too. Lvl70-something. Clearing up the last few available quests before heading to Ichigaya again for the end game (?). Mastema is a jerk. Why does he reflect gun? I like shooting people with my Cherub's Heaven's Bow. :(

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The side mission at the beginning of the game where you have to fight one Berserker and Rakshasa is spanking my ass mercilessly. Killed Berserker but Rakshasa starts with an attack that wipes out everyone but me!

Late game neutral question:

So I've just got back from the monochrome forest and I've been doing all the side quests I can, not because I want to, but simply because I have no idea what to do. There is no active main quest besides activating the terminals. I've gone to both ichigaya and naraku where I find a wall of flames and is beau makes a comment about me needing a demon.

Help!

So I'm currently in
Infernal Tokyo
and it says a lot of my sidequests were closed. Are they closed permanently or only until
I return to normal Tokyo...IF I return to normal Tokyo...

Also, does having a phys-based MC ever pay off? Are there any Almighty physical skills?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

So I've just got back from the monochrome forest and I've been doing all the side quests I can, not because I want to, but simply because I have no idea what to do. There is no active main quest besides activating the terminals. I've gone to both ichigaya and naraku where I find a wall of flames and is beau makes a comment about me needing a demon.

Help!

Go to Shinjuku Kabuki-Cho, the cafe. You know the place, right? Top right corner.

So I'm currently in
Infernal Tokyo
and it says a lot of my sidequests were closed. Are they closed permanently or only until

Also, does having a phys-based MC ever pay off? Are there any Almighty physical skills?

You do return, but make sure to finish all the quests you have there since the place you're in right now is a one-time visit only.

Phys-based MC paid off beautifully, especially for a DEX-focused build. Desperate Hit with Charge absolutely murders EVERYTHING: it hits multiple times, it pierces Tetrakan or any sort of defense, it is MARVELOUS. I am quite positive that it is the strongest offensive almighty attack in the game.

Young Magus

Help!

Go to the Florida bar in East (?) Shinjuku where you saw the two humans

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So I'm currently in
Infernal Tokyo

The side-missions that take place in your version of Tokyo/Mikado will re-open (except for some depending on your path)

Dresden

So I'm currently in
Infernal Tokyo

1. they open back up

2. yes; by the point you are at, you should just be clearing out random enemy groups in a single attack. Look out for hades' blast/heaven's bow.

the almighty physical skill is called Desperate Hit, whispered from a
Demonee-ho
which you can fuse at

Aeana

Not really spent on finishing challenge quests or talk to NPCs no, although I did that too. Most of those 88 hours were spent on leveling my Pokemons Demons for their skills. I am OCD for leveling up all of my Demons until all of the skills are revealed before fusing them, so you can imagine this will take a long time. It just feels *wrong* for me to fuse a Demon before I get to see all of their available skills, hahaha.

Getting a few levels for A and B so that their skills all appearing, then fusing C, and then the process gets repeated alllll over again form the beginning if I want to fuse C with D. I always levelled up every new demons I got from Scouting too, up until I reveal all of their skills.

I can easily see how you'd spend so much time. I was just being silly. I often beat RPGs dramatically faster than other people.

Alucrid

Banned
Late/end game spoilers

Somehow I ended up siding with the angels to kill everyone in Tokyo, totally not what I wanted exactly but somehow it's what I got. Then I had to fight Isa..Isu..I forget her name, and apparently she wanted to stay by my side forever. Well, that's nice, sorry your name was somewhat forgettable. I totally didn't get that though. I just hope in the next few hours I can kill this stupid god/angel thing that's following me around.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm actually magic-based right now, but plan on doing a physical build for my chaos playthrough.

I am not really sure about how powerful the severe almighty attack is from an MC with high Magic and an +8 upgrade plus concentrate, but I am pretty sure it won't be as strong as Desperate Hit+8 plus charge from a high Dex MC. And it's relatively cheap to pull off too, compared to Antichton (although the Debilitate effect is pretty sweet, I admit).

The point is, I am not gonna stop pimping Desperate Hit since I really think it is the best offensive Almighty skill in the game :D Definitely the skill you have to look out for in your next physical build walkthrough.

^Will totally use for my Law Knight Templary PHYS playthrough. Any awesome gun skills for a Chaos Riot Gunnerish GUN playthrough?

I beat rpgs dramatically slower than most. My save file on P4 PS2 reads 300 hours, I bet you I spent under half of that actually playing the thing, but you get the point.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

Yup, same here. If there was an English wiki updated with all the skill names it would have saved me time considerably. Other than that, I wasted some time grinding for App Points after realizing I wasn't spending them on the right apps. There was also a few hours throughout my play-through grinding for gold. I only regret not being a bit patient with all the grinding since XP yields were jumping almost exponentially in newer areas. For example, when I mistakenly headed to Ikebukuro instead of Shinjuku the first time XP jumped from ~400 per battle almost to 4000!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
^Will totally use for my Law Knight Templary PHYS playthrough. Any awesome gun skills for a Chaos Riot Gunnerish GUN playthrough?

I beat rpgs dramatically slower than most. My save file on P4 PS2 reads 300 hours, I bet you I spent under half of that actually playing the thing, but you get the point.

Heaven's Bow and Riot Gun are pretty sweet too, although the latter just can't compete with Desperate Hit, in my opinion. Important to note however that Desperate Hit is not really a gun skill in the way that if you hit an enemy with a gun weakness you score an extra turn, no, but the compensation for that (multiple hits, ignores defense, pierces Tetrakarn) are tremendous, IMO.

Stun Needles or Myriad Arrows can compensate before you get your hands on it though :)

I am not really sure about how powerful the severe almighty attack is from an MC with high Magic and an +8 upgrade plus concentrate, but I am pretty sure it won't be as strong as Desperate Hit+8 plus charge from a high Dex MC. And it's relatively cheap to pull off too, compared to Antichton (although the Debilitate effect is pretty sweet, I admit).

The point is, I am not gonna stop pimping Desperate Hit since I really think it is the best offensive Almighty skill in the game :D Definitely the skill you have to look out for in your next physical build walkthrough.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Top Bottom