• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

not that I've encountered near to 30 hours in... might be a demon ability or super-rare item, but definitely nothing "like" Go-hom

also I was thumbing ahead in the guide it comes with... the guide just drops off suddenly, huh? kinda weird.

Any shortcuts in and out of dungeons at the very least? I feel like I need to take this a floor at a time, then return to the surface.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Any shortcuts in and out of dungeons at the very least? I feel like I need to take this a floor at a time, then return to the surface.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is like
Dark Souls :p

You'll be navigating environments hoping to find the next "bonfire" where you can rest
in this game's case, the terminals

I finally defeated
Beelzebub
after long arduous hours of demon fusing, gathering money for null sick/electric equipment, getting various skills, and grinding.

I am still stuck at hunter rank 2 though. What are all the quests you need to do to progress in the Neutral route? I have done all the quests for the Hunter's Association in all the cities to the point where they are not giving out any quests. The only quest I have in progress is the Brigid one but it seems I cannot do that one right now because
Naruku is blocked off.

Just when I think this game can't shock me anymore, I get completely blindsided. (Post Camp Ichigaya)
All of a sudden we're off in an alternate reality (I guess?) where everything got fucked up to hell. It's pretty crazy.

I keep thinking 'okay, I'm just going to play for an hour or so and then do something else' and then that turns into a 'three hours later' scenario. This is just one of those games where every minute is a joyous experience.

Ourobolus

Banned
*High fives* What choice did you make? spoiler tag as necessary
I basically knew I was Law before the first big choice. So I did the tournament prelims and some other stuff to bring me down to Neutral. I then chose Chaos for almost everything leading up to (including the first fork) the second fork, where I chose Law.

I didn't KNOW if it would work, but I figured I was close enough that I had a chance.

Caladrius

So, Alice.

Is she good forever?

I haven't fused her yet, but it seems like she could be good forever.

She's good up until the New Game Plus bosses that start spamming megidolaon and antichthon. She's actually immune to ailments and saved me during the final boss on my first playthrough.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So is there any benefit taking Riot Gun over Desperate Hit? I mean, the only thing I can see is if the enemy is specifically weak against gun, but that's it, and there's only a few of those in this game anyways, especially for bosses (if there is even any? Can't remember)

I mean, Desperate Hit: it bypasses Tetrakarn and *any* res/nulls, it is a lot more prone to trigger critical hits due to chances of multiple hits, the added +24 damage on +8 upgrade brings more benefits due multiple hits, etc etc.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
God so many demons I want/need for special fusions and I have no idea how to get them.

Need a damn fusion guide already.

It's pretty easy to guess using Search since they IIRC they listed the Race and even the level of the demon ingredients. Just search the specified race, find the one with the exact same level as described on the fusion menu, and then bam!

It's pretty easy to guess using Search since they IIRC they listed the Race and even the level of the demon ingredients. Just search the specified race, find the one with the exact same level as described on the fusion menu, and then bam!

I know what the demons are, I just have no idea how to fuse/find them again.

Like for example even though its blacked out I figured out I need a Tree Mayahuel, I remember seeing it for a fusion previously but now I have no idea what I need for it.

KarmaCow

Burroughs is pretty funny.

*Horrible revelation in
Midtown
Burroughs: Congrats on completing the quest! :)))

I haven't had much time to play this game, especially when I get distracted with demon fusion but about how far am I if I just got to the part above? <50%?

I finally defeated
Beelzebub
after long arduous hours of demon fusing, gathering money for null sick/electric equipment, getting various skills, and grinding.

I am still stuck at hunter rank 2 though. What are all the quests you need to do to progress in the Neutral route? I have done all the quests for the Hunter's Association in all the cities to the point where they are not giving out any quests. The only quest I have in progress is the Brigid one but it seems I cannot do that one right now because
Naruku is blocked off.

Can someone help me out with this? I managed to complete the Brigid quest but nothing has changed. I have no idea of what I need to do as I got
Nozomi to be the new fairy leader, defeated Beelzebub, defeated the Four Devas, etc.

Dresden

So is there any benefit taking Riot Gun over Desperate Hit? I mean, the only thing I can see is if the enemy is specifically weak against gun, but that's it, and there's only a few of those in this game anyways, especially for bosses (if there is even any? Can't remember)

I mean, Desperate Hit: it bypasses Tetrakarn and *any* res/nulls, it is a lot more prone to trigger critical hits due to chances of multiple hits, the added +24 damage on +8 upgrade brings more benefits due multiple hits, etc etc.

Stacks with Shot Earring, more reliable damage before the 25% boost from the earring, etc.

Basically Desperate Hit needs to hit 4+ times to equal or overtake its damage, before the accessory boost. I still prefer DH because of the almighty element, but Riot Gun is definitely a good option.

Did you revive amaterasu?

Indeed I have. The
ship
has been a great help for the other quests. I will go ahead and list many of the side quests I have completed:
Training Battle 1-10
The Cauldron
Recreating the Human Race
Tokyo Cosmos
Wish of a Professional
Find the Tears of the Messiah
Rebirth of the Great Overlord
Mysterious Story of Tennozu
Excavate Summoning Devices
Multi-Demon Fusion
Rebirth of the Lady
Save the Old Man
Samurai School in Nakano
Osiris' Resurrection
The Great Drunkenness
I Will Give You My Black Card
RxW Smacktacular XIII
Hunter Tournament Finals
Banquet of Flames
Help Me Get Some Servers
Heavy Weapon Recovery
Protect the Tower

I am still surprised I cannot find an accurate list of all the required side quests to progress in the Neutral Route online at all.

Ridley327

Ginza spoilers: I'm pretty sure that
the Member's-Only Club
is straight up trolling anyone and everyone.
Even the sale prices are outrageous.

Dionysus
was disappointingly easy, as he doesn't have a ton of health, nor does he have anything nasty in his arsenal. I downed him in two turns.

totowhoa

Banned
Just reached
Tokyo
. The game is quite easy. It was hard at first, but right now, it's a cakewalk.

Yup, been my experience at 20 hours in. Definitely some challenges ahead but nothing too bad. I felt Nocturne was similar until you started getting to the last 15 - 20 percent of the game.

Ridley327

Yup, been my experience at 20 hours in. Definitely some challenges ahead but nothing too bad. I felt Nocturne was similar until you started getting to the last 15 - 20 percent of the game.

Yeah, Nocturne spams a lot of Light and Dark attacks early on, but it eases off. The Labyrinth of Amala is continuously challenging (especially with how nasty the Fourth Kalpa was with the poison floors), but you definitely can bend the game to your will once you figure out how OP Fog Breath is.

SMT4 has had a similar curve for me, as well. It will definitely keep you on your toes, but nothing has been insurmountable, even with a couple of optional bosses whose extraordinarily high levels aren't exactly telling the whole story.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
So..

End game spoilers.

If I met Stephen after defeating Kenji that means I am on the Neutral path, right?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I know what the demons are, I just have no idea how to fuse/find them again.

Like for example even though its blacked out I figured out I need a Tree Mayahuel, I remember seeing it for a fusion previously but now I have no idea what I need for it.

You *do* know that you *can* search for how to fuse a specific demon in search, correct?

BlackJace

So..

End game spoilers.

If I met Stephen after defeating Kenji that means I am on the Neutral path, right?

Welcome to Neutral.

EDIT: Fuck it, I said I was going to wait until after Dream Team, but I'm going to go ahead and start New Game Plus. This fucking game.

So, my good friend
Yamato Takeru
just went down in a hail of gunfire.

I actually paralized him a few times too with Stun Needles.

Have I mentioned yet how much I love Stun Needles?

Jessicat

Whoa, I streetpassed someone with SMTIV today! Though I saw no extra app points when I went to check the DDS cards, or would it be found somewhere else?

I also can't figure out what to do next, spoilers re: Roppongi -
So I'm just starting the reverse building, found the key, talked to everyone on that floor but can't open the door. Am I missing something? o_O

Ridley327

Whoa, I streetpassed someone with SMTIV today! Though I saw no extra app points when I went to check the DDS cards, or would it be found somewhere else?

I also can't figure out what to do next, spoilers re: Roppongi -
So I'm just starting the reverse building, found the key, talked to everyone on that floor but can't open the door. Am I missing something? o_O

My understanding is that extra app points are awarded if you Streetpass with someone that also has Etrian Odyssey IV. I managed to hit one today with it, and got an outstanding 40 app point bonus.

Jessicat

My understanding is that extra app points are awarded if you Streetpass with someone that also has Etrian Odyssey IV. I managed to hit one today with it, and got an outstanding 40 app point bonus.
What, that's not even a Megaten game, I thought Soul Hackers counted too. Oh well, I still got the better deal, the other guy sent a slime card, but mine was sent blank [was using all my demon slots ;>>] Oh well! XD

Did anyone besides me do the Hugo wine quest?
It did not involve Dionysus.
I did, but I had the item from somewhere before I initiated the quest. Still got to hear about his situation though, rofl.

Ridley327

What, that's not even a Megaten game, I thought Soul Hackers counted too. Oh well, I still got the better deal, the other guy sent a slime card, but mine was sent blank [was using all my demon slots ;>>] Oh well! XD

It probably does, but still, I'm not complaining about the extra points at all. :D

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Stacks with Shot Earring, more reliable damage before the 25% boost from the earring, etc.

Basically Desperate Hit needs to hit 4+ times to equal or overtake its damage, before the accessory boost. I still prefer DH because of the almighty element, but Riot Gun is definitely a good option.

If anything, I would consider Desperate Hit as something that is much more reliable as you don't need to worry about the enemy having resist/null/repel gun or Tetrakarn. It's a *really* huge boon not to have to worry about weaknesses and such and such against enemies/bosses and just shoot.

I don't play as Magic-based character, so I don't know how magic MC compare, but I also think Desperate Hit is the best Almighty attack in terms of pure damage, correct?

I basically knew I was Law before the first big choice. So I did the tournament prelims and some other stuff to bring me down to Neutral. I then chose Chaos for almost everything leading up to (including the first fork) the second fork, where I chose Law.

I didn't KNOW if it would work, but I figured I was close enough that I had a chance.

I pretty much did everything you did except for the second fork where I chose Chaos and I lucked out since I was Neutral going in but I didn't know which had more influence.

Top Bottom