• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

GeekyDad

That tends to be Aria's style at times. It's fine when she's playing a number of different games. I like how she interacts with the stream watchers. Something like SMT IV it might not be great for though.

Looking forward to playing this. Trying to stay away from any stream or video with the game though. This is going to be my first SMT game outside of Soul Hackers. Don't want anything spoiled story wise.

Oh yeah, she seems like a nice kid and all, but I guess I just don't need to be entertained when I watch gameplay. Just play, and I'm happy. But I guess that's the nature of a lot of these streaming deals, which I don't watch a lot of.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I can't find an answer to this anywhere, but Forneus is in the game right?! Not that I care about Forneus. He's lame and all. But he's in there, right?!? He must

brinstar

I can't find an answer to this anywhere, but Forneus is in the game right?! Not that I care about Forneus. He's lame and all. But he's in there, right?!? He must
I don't believe forneus is in this one, sorry D:

I think he's a street pass demon in soul hackers tho

An-Det

I'm making room on my shelf now, that's the largest handheld LE bundle I've seen.

Now if only this awesome XL would see a stateside release.
yw20ojW.jpg

God I would love it if that had released here. I'm buying a 3DS XL for SMT 4, so this would have been perfect.

Sleepy

I have never played this series before (preordered this one) and I have a quick question about demon fusing: The game gives the best fusions as a guide? Do you have to follow it? or are there special/rare fusions that you can only get by mixing and matching outside of the recommended ones?

GeekyDad

I have never played this series before (preordered this one) and I have a quick question about demon fusing: The game gives the best fusions as a guide? Do you have to follow it? or are there special/rare fusions that you can only get by mixing and matching outside of the recommended ones?

No, you don't have to follow the recommendations. And there are fusion accidents in most SMT games -- I'm guessing this one too. Additionally, there are special fusions that require more than two demons.

Sleepy

No, you don't have to follow the recommendations. And there are fusion accidents in most SMT games -- I'm guessing this one too. Additionally, there are special fusions that require more than two demons.

And those will not be given in the recs? And can you only get a demon once? or are there multiples? for fusion purposes?

Fusion "accidents" sound awesome.

I'm rotating through the PS2 SMT games to hype me up, and because I never beat Persona 4 I'm losing a heck of a lot of hours to its siren call.

SMT4 cannot come soon enough.

GeekyDad

And those will not be given in the recs? And can you only get a demon once? or are there multiples? for fusion purposes?

Fusion "accidents" sound awesome.

Not sure I understand your question(s) fully, but no, you can usually only have one type of demon at a time in SMT games (though the Devil Survivor games allow you to have multiples of the same demons). You can make them as many times as you want, though.

Maybe it's just my 6th sense playing tricks on me, but I could have sworn I read people talking about Time and Eternity in here.

I'm just gonna pretend that isn't the case.

In other news, wow that pic on the last page had a whole ton of SMT IV copes. =0

They don't really have a choice, if you undercut retailers- they'll get super pissed. It's the double edged sword of selling both physical and digital.

BS, it's just because they believe that people will pay that price. Haven't there been other games that have had discounts over retail? Doesn't Sony do that on the Vita?

ZenComp

Neo Member
Ah, I see then, the preludes are the remixes from the preview website awhile back?

EDIT: Quick Question: How to ability system in IV? Like Nocturne or DDS or Other? Can you keep all your abilities permanently or you gotta drop a skill when you get your list full?
Yes, Preludes and Hallucinations are the tracks that were on the website before the full launch.

It works like this: Every time you make a demon learn all its skills, a Whisper Event will happen. You can then pick one of the demon's skills to add to your MC's skill set. If a demon has a skill that is already on your MC, that skill will get a small boost (represented as a +1, +2, etc on the icon). If you're already full of skills, then you'll have to overwrite. You don't have a skill storage or anything, but to get a skill again is a matter of getting another demon with it and levelling it up.

By the way, skill slots are increased through Burroughs Apps.

The recommendations are pretty good most of the time, but they're very general. Often times you'll want something more specific to fit on your team, or a specific skill for your MC, so you'll want to fuse by yourself. Als, no special fusions appear in the guide, and they often lead to very good demons.
Keep in mind also that the fusion in this game is very different from most games in the franchise.

Sleepy

Not sure I understand your question(s) fully, but no, you can usually only have one type of demon at a time in SMT games (though the Devil Survivor games allow you to have multiples of the same demons). You can make them as many times as you want, though.

The recommendations are pretty good most of the time, but they're very general. Often times you'll want something more specific to fit on your team, or a specific skill for your MC, so you'll want to fuse by yourself. Als, no special fusions appear in the guide, and they often lead to very good demons.
Keep in mind also that the fusion in this game is very different from most games in the franchise.

Interesting. Thanks for the posts.

BS, it's just because they believe that people will pay that price. Haven't there been other games that have had discounts over retail? Doesn't Sony do that on the Vita?
Yes, Sony will sometimes have cheaper digital games, but not always.

In the case of SMT IV it sucks because I really love the convenience of digital and purchase everything digitally when possible, but I really can't justify the cost in this case... so I'm going with the physical copy. At least Atlus does a great job with their physical releases in terms of bonuses.

I seriously can't wait until Tuesday! There's just too much amazing! SMT IV, Whose Line is it Anyway?, Legend of Korra soundtrack...

What kind of amazing stars are aligning to bring so much awesome in one day?!? ^_^

Jessicat

Has anyone figured out, aside from muting the console, how to turn off the dub? That first cutscene, the cheesyness of that voice, I can't XD And the MC randomly says stuff when opening the menu too, muting voices at the start doesn't seem to help at all, I just gave up and turned it back on, but I mean really :/

Other than that, be prepared to throw your console across the room for the first 2-3 levels, then it gets better XD I got a free promo poster from the store I pre-ordered my copy at, picked it up yesterday and played for a couple hours already~

...Hm, I need a new userpic to get SMTIV'd, since Digimon ain't getting localized *sobs*
*edit* there, chibi Louis DSR style XD

pahamrick

Ready for Tuesday. My Fire Emblem 3DS had the right hinge break almost completely, and since Nintendo wanted money to 'fix it' (and I didn't want to go without a 3DS for SMTIV) cashed in all my trade credit I'd been saving at Gamestop and got an XL.

M3d10n

Was going to get it on the eShop... but then I saw the bonuses. Damn. Since I got $25 credit on my Paypal from some random survey (which I can't use on the eShop), I managed to pre-order the version with the bonuses for cheaper, shipping included.

extralite

It's somewhere. Maybe when you fuse a demon? I can't remember off-hand, but I've seen mention of resistance/vulnerability to status effects many times in the descriptive text.

The descriptions when you fuse are the same as later when you have the demon. Unless they only added it in the English version or status resistances were removed for all those demons I looked up, it seems that info isn't in the game.

If you find an example for a status attack resistance mentioned, maybe you can take a picture?

Anyway, the info is either not there or well hidden. And I think it doesn't matter anymore in press turn, even if it does it can now be ignored and the game still be beaten. They're definitely not as important as before.

extralite

Ok, but is it ok to discuss the price too? We are on a discussion forum.

Atlus is a small developer/publisher which means they can't expect to sell that many copies. But the game has a certain budget which they need to recoup. You could argue they might sell more at a lower price but the fact is, probably not enough more to warrant taking that risk.

If you want to buy it cheap, wait for used or bargain sales.

Goby

Banned
I have to buy the game to discuss the price?

No but why come here to whine about it?

I mean it;s not like we can do anything about it.

$50 is worth it for the strategy guide and I don't have any sympathy for people who buy games digitally.

Physical copies are always best and Nintendo has a bad digital service which means i would never recommend buying off the eshop unless you have no choice.

Atlus is a small developer/publisher which means they can't expect to sell that many copies. But the game has a certain budget which they need to recoup. You could argue they might sell more at a lower price but the fact is, probably not enough more to warrant taking that risk.

If you want to buy it cheap, wait for used or bargain sales.

So because Atlus is a small developer, it's ok to charge $50 for a handheld game on the eShop? If Atlus gets away with it, won't everyone start charging $50 for 3DS games?

So because Atlus is a small developer, it's ok to charge $50 for a handheld game on the eShop? If Atlus gets away with it, won't everyone start charging $50 for 3DS games?

Because Atlus is a small developer, it make sense that they need to recoup their costs on the release of a game. If they need to increase the price of a game to localize it, it's understandable considering Atlus doesn't have a habit of raising prices just because they can. There's no reason to assume it's greed. We have no proof or history of it.

If other developers do it, they have to prove that there's some reasoning behind it. For fans of games like SMT4, we'd rather get the game at a higher price point than not at all, but games that we're guaranteed to get (like a theoretical Resident Evil Revelations 2) will have a harder time convincing fans that the higher price point was unavoidable.

Atlus brought over the game pretty quickly and put a lot of effort into it, and increased the value proposition on the physical copy. So, it's hard to complain.

Soriku

No because the $50 price won't work for everything. We even have Nintendo making some games $35.

You're paying fifty dollars to get this localized before 2015; I'd say its worth it.

Atlus wouldn't take till 2015 to localize it lol. But I think most of us were expecting a late 2013-early 2014 release over July.

I think the physical copy price is defensible, while the eshop price isn't.

Me too, the extras with the physical copy make the extra $10 worth it but to carry that same price over to the eshop is indefensible...or so I thought.

I guess the next SE game could come with a "quick translation" price hike too.

If you're so amazed, then actually attack my points instead of just dismissing them out of hand!
What more is there for me to say? You think small developers deserve to charge extra for translations, I don't.

GeekyDad

Ok, I am amazed at all the people defending this price but whatever...

I think it's more a matter of "we already had this discussion." I wasn't particularly thrilled about the price, either, but then when Ben & Jerry's goes up, I grumble and buy it anyway. This is my Ben & Jerry's. I'd like to pay less for it, but no one else makes New York Super Fudge Chunk, so what you gonna do?

Goby

Banned
Me too, the extras with the physical copy make the extra $10 worth it but to carry that same price over to the eshop is indefensible...or so I thought.

I guess the next SE game could come with a "quick translation" price hike too.

What more is there for me to say? You think small developers deserve to charge extra for translations, I don't.

Brah you're a chiste

Top Bottom