• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

NeonZ

Does anyone remember where zombie cops appear? I thought they were one of those enemies that couldn't be recruited, like the Ashura Kai thugs, but they can be recruited if you have the app that allows a just recruited demon to bring someone else with them... I only realized that after getting one of those Undead "Patriots" in the Law world though, and now I can't remember where they used to appear.

Getting a few levels for A and B so that their skills all appearing, then fusing C, and then the process gets repeated alllll over again form the beginning if I want to fuse C with D. I always levelled up every new demons I got from Scouting too, up until I reveal all of their skills.

So yeah, lots of time for that,

I just noticed that I've apparently spent 11 hours just in the Cathedral of Shadows, I guess that adds up after a while...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
One of my biggest regrets was not realizing desperate hit is a unique skill that can't be inherited and therefore failing to whisper it to my MC when I got the chance. I mean, there was the option to delete/fuse my ho (!) And create him again but it felt like too much work when I already wasted enough time and macca.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Does anyone remember where zombie cops appear? I thought they were one of those enemies that couldn't be recruited, like the Ashura Kai thugs, but they can be recruited if you have the app that allows a just recruited demon to bring someone else with them...

I just noticed that I've apparently spent 11 hours just in the Cathedral of Shadows, I guess that adds up after a while...

The zombie cops appear on Kasumigaseki, I believe, but not inside the shelter but above the ground.

Now... the million dollar question is: a full New Game+ or a *new* New Game+? Hmmmmmmmmmh.

One of my biggest regrets was not realizing desperate hit is a unique skill that can't be inherited and therefore failing to whisper it to my MC when I got the chance. I mean, there was the option to delete/fuse my ho (!) And create him again but it felt like too much work when I already wasted enough time and macca.

I know for certain that it can be inherited but only with the Fusion during Battle app. The catch is you don't get to decide which skills are going to be inherited. That is how I transfer the Desperate Hit to an Element, for cheaper re-summon and far easier re-level up :D

Soulhouf

Welp, 1st walkthrough Neutral path, done. 88 Hours 15 Minutes.

Ending party:

MC Level 96 St 34 Dx 216 Ma 7 Ag 200 Lu 208.
Debilitate+3, Desperate Hit+8, Hades Blast+8, Luster Candy+3, Bad Company+3, Charge+3, Dekunda+3, Dekaja+3

Herald Uriel Level 77 St 103 Dx 9 Ma 76 Ag 88 Lu 74
Null Phys, Normal Gun, Null Fire, Drain Ice, Repel Elec, Drain Force, Null Light, Resist Dark
Skills: Null Phys, Drain Ice, Drain Force, Lightning of God, Luster Candy, Energy Drain, Charge, Kannuki-Throw (this shit is hilarious)

Herald Metatron Level 88 St 122 Dx 108 Ma 87 Ag 99 Lu 81
Null Phys, Resist Gun, Resist Fire, Drain Ice, Resist Elec, Resist Force, Null Light, Resist Dark.
Skills: Salvation, Luster Candy, Mana Surge, Energy Drain, Null Phys, Drain Ice, Null Mind, Null Nerve.

Tyrant Penis Mara Level 94 St 125 Dx 110 Ma 104 Ag 100 Lu 81
Repel Phys, Drain Gun, Null Fire, Drain Ice, Drain Elec, Null Force, Null Light, Null Dark,
Skills: Antichthon, Salvation, Doping, Energy Drain, Repel Phys, Drain Ice, Null Fire, Null Force

Now.... what path to take next... Hmmmmm.

Always prioritize skill slots apps for MC and especially for your demons first.

Well done sir.
I'm pretty similar to you (physical MC build, I fuse my demons only after obtaining all the skills...).

How did you get that Desperate Hit to +8? Did you fuse your Demonee-Ho 8 times? I ask because that skill can't be passed to the other demons.

And I absolutely agree. A pure physical build is very effective: Blight(that fuckin skill), Heaven's Bow and Desperate Hit annihilate pretty much anything.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well done sir.
I'm pretty similar to you (physical MC build, I fuse my demons only after obtaining all the skills...).

How did you get that Desperate Hit to +8? Did you fuse your Demonee-Ho 8 times? I ask because that skill can't be passed to the other demons.

It can be passed on :)

But only with In Battle Fusion app (the name is Fusion Lite, I believe)

That is how I transfer the Desperate Hit to an Element demon, for a far cheaper level up/re-summon. The catch is you don't get to choose which skills that get transferred but I don't care about any other skills since I only want Desperate Hit.

Soulhouf

It can be passed on :)

But only with In Battle Fusion app (the name is Fusion Lite, I believe)

That is how I transfer the Desperate Hit to an Element demon, for a far cheaper level up/re-summon. The catch is you don't get to choose which skills that get transferred but I don't care about any other skills since I only want Desperate Hit.

Are you serious?
I took Fusion Lite just to try it and reloaded my save because I didn't see any advantage for doing it. If I only knew...

Mind blown

GeekyDad

You can always refuse the demon that has it. It's Demonee-ho, right?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Are you serious?
I took Fusion Lite just to try it and reloaded my save because I didn't see any advantage for doing it. If I only knew...

Mind blown

1smt_iv.jpg

:)

Note that the original level of this demon by the time I fused it was,... 16, IIRC. So it's *VERY EASY* to level it, dismiss it, and the resummon it up to re-transfer Desperate Hit to my MC.

GeekyDad

Q gets some cool armors late game. Not sure if this is Law-exclusive or not, but I'm doing Law now, and this is the first time I've noticed these:

fjxdzbm.jpg

Black King

yAZBtxk.jpg

Gold Aquila

And then this is the recent DLC one I've been wearing through most of my Law run:

UhkY4vd.jpg

Freedom

GeekyDad

Um, explain stats please. Did they release an Incense DLC?
KuGsj.gif

Ha, ha. You'd think. But I initially used all my level-up stats mostly on Ma, lagging Ag and Lu slightly behind. When I got my Ma up pretty high, I started to invest solely in Lu and Ag. The rest, among the five stats, is from incense. You do get a lot of it, though, from quests and rooms
(and the Red Rider, whom I only beat once)
, and considering this is the end of my third playthrough...yeah.

MechaX

Man, came back to this game after a brief hiatus. Spent from 7 am yesterday to about 1am playing the game non-stop, and most of today doing so. And I think I got locked into the Neutral route almost by accident.

Late game spoilers + alignment rant:
Personally, I agreed more with Walter overall on some stuff, Jonathan on some others. I wish SMT would stop doing this, but it's one thing to fall into an alignment choices based on actions. Yeah, I get actions speak louder than words (which I guess would make things pointless if you could just pick your alignment at the very, very end through a single choice or something). But it's another thing to have your actions determine your alignment in a hidden way, and suddenly the game is like "oh sorry, BOTH SIDES ARE BATSHIT CRAZY." I totally get behind Walter, but when he was like "I want to change the world! Let's unleash demons to have 90% of people get killed," and Jonathan was like "well, these creepy as fuck angel abominations said that we have to kill everyone in Tokyo who might want a better life. I guess we have to do it," that's when both sides completely lost me.

SMT has always did this, but it has also always frustrated the hell out of me. The law alignment in Strange Journey was exceptionally frustrating too.

It seems like Devil Survivor Overclocked still takes it in terms of handling their alignments in even-handed ways, unless something changes tremendously in the next few hours.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ha, ha. You'd think. But I initially used all my level-up stats mostly on Ma, lagging Ag and Lu slightly behind. When I got my Ma up pretty high, I started to invest solely in Lu and Ag. The rest, among the five stats, is from incense. You do get a lot of it, though, from quests and rooms
3rd playthrough when I just finished my first?
EWmof.gif

Busaiku

Man, it took me almost 75 hours to beat the game for the 1st time in Chaos.
But then it took 10 hours in Law, and 20 hours in Neutral (only cause I accidentally did New Life).

But that's just in-game time.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
My build wasn't optimum on my first playthrough, so I'm definitely going with a New Life on my Chaos run.

Andrew J.

There are doors throughout the world that can only be opened by a main character with at least 100 points in a certain stat, right? From the looks of this it doesn't seem too hard to get at least 100 in all of them.

Camp Ichigaya Spoilers
I'm assuming I HAVE to press this Expanse button? I said nevermind and then Walter is just like "oh its cool dude, take a breather." which makes me assume that I HAVE to press it.

Also, how far into the game am I? I've got like 40 hours clocked in already.

Camp Ichigaya Spoilers
I'm assuming I HAVE to press this Expanse button? I said nevermind and then Walter is just like "oh its cool dude, take a breather." which makes me assume that I HAVE to press it.

Also, how far into the game am I? I've got like 40 hours clocked in already.

Yes, you must. I'd say you're probably
3/4 of the way to the end.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Finally took down Minotaur in expert. That was insanely difficult! Luckily I was able to fuse Spriggan who is resistant against physical attacks. I kept attacking with bufu with my whole team, and they kept getting smirks which made Minotaur miss his attacks.

Amazing. But now I'm dreading the next boss, lol.

CSX

I find it hilarious when a demon joins u when u refuse everything they ask for. Even the game mentions how weird that is lol

vall03

I'd like to confirm, the Fiends are available regardless of route right? Except for one that is only accessible in Neutral.

GeekyDad

There are doors throughout the world that can only be opened by a main character with at least 100 points in a certain stat, right? From the looks of this it doesn't seem too hard to get at least 100 in all of them.

Hmm...not that I know of. I know there are doors where there will be one incense, but that's about it. The only exceptions are certain quests and
the Red Rider, who gives 10 of each, if I recall correctly.

NeonZ

Spoilers for an end game challenge quest easy to be missed, but which can be triggered very easily. Once you're in the final dungeon, I think,
choose the "chat with Mido" option, and he'll give you a quest.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The combat and whispering mechanic are shining during this expert playthrough. Tons of strategy and it's so satisfying when everything goes according to the plan.

vall03

Yes! Finally beat my first Fiend! I don't think it was that difficult, my only real problem was dealing with and reviving demons with very low HP. Even with Doping, they can't survive the Almighty spam, and much more painful when they get a random Crit and get a Smirk. They also seem to know your weakest demon and will do its best to kill it off first. Ended up not reviving and summoning demons, and I beat
Trumpeter
with just one demon left that spent the whole time going Charge -> Berserker God and my MC going full support with Salvation.

Now to spend hours again trying to find the other ones.

Andrew J.

Hmm...not that I know of. I know there are doors where there will be one incense, but that's about it. The only exceptions are certain quests and
the Red Rider, who gives 10 of each, if I recall correctly.

...I feel like you misread my post.

Like,
Red Rider's
behind a door you need to have at least 100 Luck to open, right? I recall there's also a unique sword behind a door you need 100 Strength to open, and at least two others corresponding to Magic and Dexterity.

Watashiwa

Atlus, I want a decent law path.

kthxbai

PD: Walter Post Split is so dumb. At least Jimenez was funny in his hot bloodness.

Good lord but he is. He's so taken with his newfound "knowledge and wisdom" that he doesn't bother to use it. Just because one faction is headed by self-righteous jackasses who want to control the fate of mankind doesn't mean that your faction isn't.

Man, came back to this game after a brief hiatus. Spent from 7 am yesterday to about 1am playing the game non-stop, and most of today doing so. And I think I got locked into the Neutral route almost by accident.

Late game spoilers + alignment rant:
Personally, I agreed more with Walter overall on some stuff, Jonathan on some others. I wish SMT would stop doing this, but it's one thing to fall into an alignment choices based on actions. Yeah, I get actions speak louder than words (which I guess would make things pointless if you could just pick your alignment at the very, very end through a single choice or something). But it's another thing to have your actions determine your alignment in a hidden way, and suddenly the game is like "oh sorry, BOTH SIDES ARE BATSHIT CRAZY." I totally get behind Walter, but when he was like "I want to change the world! Let's unleash demons to have 90% of people get killed," and Jonathan was like "well, these creepy as fuck angel abominations said that we have to kill everyone in Tokyo who might want a better life. I guess we have to do it," that's when both sides completely lost me.

SMT has always did this, but it has also always frustrated the hell out of me. The law alignment in Strange Journey was exceptionally frustrating too.

It seems like Devil Survivor Overclocked still takes it in terms of handling their alignments in even-handed ways, unless something changes tremendously in the next few hours.

I don't like how the game has some invisible strict point system that determines if you can get neutral or not. It would have been fine if the Cynical Man was there all the time but after the Expanse event you pretty much have to wing it, I don't like it when games have obscure things that almost require following a guide.

Eh at least it gives me a good excuse to do a New Game +, did Chaos ending and now I'm gunning for Neutral.

Walter and Jonathan's willingness for those drastic measures still don't sit right with me. I mean committing genocide and setting loose demons to massacre everyone? It takes quite a fucked up individual to go along with that and delude themselves into thinking its best for everyone, it felt like the plot was forcefully dragging those two likeable characters to where it wanted to be.

I'm kind of pissed of by
Angels: Let's destroy Tokyo Jonnathan: O_O ... Okey . _ .
Even Old Testament God did give a chance to save
a corrupt city

GeekyDad

I'm kind of pissed of by
a corrupt city

Yeah, I'm actually watching the credits right now for my Law ending (already finished Neutral and Chaos), and I'm not sure how I feel, really. I mean, in the end...
there was peace. There was harmony. Nature was brought back to perfection. But the events leading up to it felt completely wrong. All except Jonathan's actions. I feel like his heart was pure, even if the archangels were not (somehow). His intent seemed one of Love, rather than the angels' being one of programming.
'Tis a tough game any way you slice it in terms of what's what in the story and the grand scheme of things. It's what makes it so compelling for me.

Yuterald

That moment when you complete a main quest, net 20K+ EXP, and then realize you've had low tier/level demons in your party that you've either refused to evolve or have completely forgotten about...feels good...
wait, that doesn't feel good! =/

Why yes, I would totally be fine if you changed your lunge to a ziodyne. Oh, you want to know if I want to learn it as well? Why of course I would!

5 hours in btw.

Neutral path should not be that painful to obtain. I should not feel that I'm just being condescendant when siding to Walter Post Split, because he decides that 'Wisdom' is lack of common sense.

... but I still want to play more... and I'm to lazy to return to my save pre first split... sorry
Isabeu

LProtag

I only took 32 hours or so to get through my first playthrough. I ended up Law and just kinda rushed through the end game, I guess.

PK Gaming

I'm kind of pissed of by
a corrupt city

Yeah that threw me for a loop. Don't forget the absurdity of
Merkabah deeming Isabeau unclean because she comes in contact with manga

Gotta say, the law path was really lame in this one.

Caladrius

I only took 32 hours or so to get through my first playthrough. I ended up Law and just kinda rushed through the end game, I guess.

Law is the shortest route IIRC. Mine took 35 hours. I got neutral on my NG+ and I can say that route would take much longer on a first playthrough.

Don't forget the absurdity of

It was hilarious at first impression. But keep in mind that Mikado had no fiction whatsoever. The angels would have trouble keeping a firm ideological grip if people realized they could make things up and develop new ideas off of that.

I need to play DS law path. I did only Gin Route, but Angels were more coherent in that game. Even Metatron ALLCAPS final speech.

GeekyDad

Believe it or not, when I was 11, my mother threw out all my comics because an elder in our church said they were demonic. Shit might be lame, but it isn't at all a stretch. Had some sweet X-men too -- the original Phoenix saga and transitions from regular X-men to Uncanny. :p

Getting close Fire Emblem, getting close!

4doWtK5.jpg

Think I gotcha beat. A bit blurry, but it's at a little over 131 hours.

Top Bottom