• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Still quite a while for SMTIV to catch up...

1activity.jpg

Anyways, I am postponing my jump to new game plus since I hear Red Rider is exclusive to Neutral playthrough? Gahhhh. I want to get him at least before I move on.

How to spawn him anyways? Just go out and reenter the 100 luck door over and over again? Do I need to defeat any other Fiends first to make him spawn? Help with this, please? *puppy eyes*

It was hilarious at first impression. But keep in mind that Mikado had no fiction whatsoever. The angels would have trouble keeping a firm ideological grip if people realized they could make things up and develop new ideas off of that.

Jonathann mentioned that there a Fairy Tales, and are not exactly considered true by the mass outside the Samurais. So is still kind of dumb.

NeonZ

Yeah that threw me for a loop. Don't forget the absurdity of
Merkabah deeming Isabeau unclean because she comes in contact with manga

I guess the point there was that she was opposing them because
she had been corrupted by Tokyo's culture through the manga. It's not like they went after her to kill her just for the manga. They only said that when she appeared there wanting to fight against them.

Neutral in this game is basically treated like a "good ending" though, which just makes the other choices look worse...

To be fair, Neutral seems to be always the 'good ending' in core SMT games. Even if the first one is canon and causes more damage than good in II.

Still quite a while for SMTIV to catch up...

1activity.jpg

Anyways, I am postponing my jump to new game plus since I hear Red Rider is exclusive to Neutral playthrough? Gahhhh. I want to get him at least before I move on.

How to spawn him anyways? Just go out and reenter the 100 luck door over and over again? Do I need to defeat any other Fiends first to make him spawn? Help with this, please? *puppy eyes*

I just got to Red Rider but I'm not 100% sure how I got him, or what this lucky door is.
But I'm pretty sure you needed to have taken down
the weird cult trying to revive their dark god of whatever
you go back to the Hunters association to recieve the next quest and you go back to the same location you finished the other quest iirc

Well I finished it. I really enjoyed the game, though I'm going to have to give it some time before I can decide where it ranks against other SMT games. I'm tempted to go right back in and do another route, but I think I'll give it a bit of a break to avoid burning myself out on this one.

Well I finished it. I really enjoyed the game, though I'm going to have to give it some time before I can decide where it ranks against other SMT games. I'm tempted to go right back in and do another route, but I think I'll give it a bit of a break to avoid burning myself out on this one.

Storyline and soundtrack are top-tier, IMO.

thefil

Question: I'm in Camp Ichigaya, and I strayed from the neutral route when I sided with
Walter
. Now, I have to
press the button
. Is there any way I can avoid doing this? Saying no just puts me right outside the door with nothing to do but go back in.

There seem to be a lot of "but thou must" choices in this game.

Why must the Lord of the Flies be such a pain to fight? Just spam Megidolan for days I see. Fine, time to grind and fuse better demons.

The way the AI in this game reacts to what are usually sound strategies in this series is annoying.

Even Setanta who you fight relatively early in the game starts doing Charge + (Javelin Rain / Fatal Sword) immediately if you debuff him to -3 or buff yourself to +3, whereas if you only go to -2/+2 he doesn't start Charging until you've dropped his HP significantly. I'm not sure why the let you stack buffs to 3 levels if they feel anything more than 2 is justification for the enemy deciding to kill you.

At least the bonus bosses in Nocturne/Digital Devil Saga/Persona had the courtesy to either outright nullify anything the disapprove of , or insta gib you with 9999 damage moves, this thing where they just suddenly decide to become more difficult because you play well is silly.

Why must the Lord of the Flies be such a pain to fight? Just spam Megidolan for days I see. Fine, time to grind and fuse better demons.

If everything alive on your team resists either their physical or elemental attacks then the optional bosses will switch to cruel patterns. Likewise they tend to be mean if you debuff them past -2 or buff yourself past +2 as well. Basically you want to have 1 demon who repels or drains , and a dummy with a lot of HP who is neutral, as long as your healer can keep the dummy alive the bosses will keep behaving dumb and wasting turns. At least until you get them to low HP when they will probably start being cheap again.

Watashiwa

^Nekomata has Wastrel Beam, A Yakuza Mob and Dormarth have Macca Beam. Wastrel Beam is a stronger Macca Beam.

At least you weren't hit by Wastrel Beam. *shivers*

I was hit by Wastrel Beam a while ago. Took one look at my new macca total and decided that losing four hours of playtime was actually worth it.

I feel I chose correctly.

PK Gaming

I guess the point there was that she was opposing them because
she had been corrupted by Tokyo's culture through the manga. It's not like they went after her to kill her just for the manga. They only said that when she appeared there wanting to fight against them.

Neutral in this game is basically treated like a "good ending" though, which just makes the other choices look worse...

I dunno
Merkabah's claim that she was corrupted by manga was a pathetic and misguided attempt to rationalize her actions. Her penchant for mangas was only a small part of her desire to protect Tokyo.

vall03

I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but I just found and beat three Fiends today. Everythings going smoothly too, though fighting
Pale Rider
was a close call for me, because I removed my MCs accessory that blocks Sick and got hit by Pandemic Bomb -> Deaths Door -> Megidolaon combo.

Goby

Banned
So I never realized this but MAJOR POST GAME SPOILERS
Mastema was the one who put the masks on the Archangels after you defeat them in the dlc

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'm an idiot.

The fastest way to solve a game issue is always to post a question because you will immediately solve it and edit your post to not look like a fool!

GeekyDad

Question: I'm in Camp Ichigaya, and I strayed from the neutral route when I sided with
Walter
. Now, I have to
press the button
. Is there any way I can avoid doing this? Saying no just puts me right outside the door with nothing to do but go back in.

There seem to be a lot of "but thou must" choices in this game.

Nope. It's necessary to progress the story.

So I never realized this but MAJOR POST GAME SPOILERS
Mastema was the one who put the masks on the Archangels after you defeat them in the dlc

Ah, cool. I meant to fight him before ending my Law run, but I forgot. After three runs, I ain't going back to do it. It'll have to wait for possibly another time.

duckroll

I was doing great against Beelzebub until suddenly out of nowhere - Death's Door -> Megidolaon. What a cheater. :(

So I took a 2 day break from this because I didn't want to get burnt out. I'm ready to head back in.

Late game neutral spoilers:
I doing the part where I need to be the #1 hunter and bring hope to Tokyo. I have to do side quests to achieve this. Is there a list online of the required sidequests to complete?

Soriku

I'm after talking to Tayama for the first time and feel OP. I have like 160+ magic I believe with Concentrate (gained from a skill mutation from a Pixie! And without the Skill Augment app at the time.) and everything dies pretty fast, bosses included (I have the four elementals so that helps for weaknesses too).

Now I just got all the MP apps which is almost like having Victory Cry but without using a skill slot. Just by walking around I can recover my party's MP and the MP fills up fast too. I'm regularly at full or around full between each battle.

I also got Megido for my MC which just tears mobs apart now, and without Concentrate.

I'm just now starting out and so far the game is a bit grueling.

I'm only an hour and a half in and I just finished the third training exercise. I'm trying to leave the dungeon but only one of my demons is alive and I don't have any potions left (and worst of all, I saved - so I hope I'm not SOL).

I hope the game gets better and you start to amass tons of potions and revival items. Because if the whole game is like this, I don't think I'll keep playing.

I'm just now starting out and so far the game is a bit grueling.

I'm only an hour and a half in and I just finished the third training exercise. I'm trying to leave the dungeon but only one of my demons is alive and I don't have any potions left (and worst of all, I saved - so I hope I'm not SOL).

I hope the game gets better and you start to amass tons of potions and revival items. Because if the whole game is like this, I don't think I'll keep playing.

Once you get the hang of it you can run through Naraku without any encounters, so you should be able to make it back.

The game gets easier once you've got a decent reserve of demons, have some skills whispered to you, and have enough demons that you can Fuse. The "real" Naraku bosses (and you'll know them when you meet them) are generally considered the hardest part of the game, up until the late game.

I haven't played in a couple weeks, since I heard some conflicting info about how to get on the Neutral route and didn't want to accidentally lock myself out of it. Has that been figured out yet?

Anyway, I'll probably pick it back up today; I've been itching to play it.

First 10 hours of SMT4:

---

Next 20-40 hours of SMT4:

---

Last 5 hours of SMT4:

Once you get the hang of it you can run through Naraku without any encounters, so you should be able to make it back.

The game gets easier once you've got a decent reserve of demons, have some skills whispered to you, and have enough demons that you can Fuse. The "real" Naraku bosses (and you'll know them when you meet them) are generally considered the hardest part of the game, up until the late game.

Ok, great. I feel better now. I did make it out finally, so I'll just continue to press on (and take my pummeling like a man for the first 10 hours).

Really digging the aesthetic of the game too...

I haven't played in a couple weeks, since I heard some conflicting info about how to get on the Neutral route and didn't want to accidentally lock myself out of it. Has that been figured out yet?

Anyway, I'll probably pick it back up today; I've been itching to play it.

There are several "safe ways" floating around, I'm pretty sure that all the common ones work. There are a lot of ways to get onto Neutral though, its just a matter of making sure your alignment doesn't swing too far one way or the other (and that you don't come into the "critical section" with your alignment being Neutral but Heavily Chaos Leaning).

... what they did to you Lucy?

You look like
a Engineer reject or handsome squidward in a masochist suit

Storyline and soundtrack are top-tier, IMO.

I think Strange Journey was better in the story department (the game feels rushed in the law path)... but then again, I need to do the other

I'm encountering a couple side-missions during this expert playthrough that I didn't see during my first time. Hmmmmm.

There are some NG+ exclusive quests that are open to everyone. There's one NG+ exclusive quest that requires you to be on the Chaos Route, and another one that requires you to be on Chaos or Neutral Routes. There's also one NG+ exclusive that requires you be Law aligned after the
Johnathon/Walter
split but you can change alignment after you do it.

I think I've made a terrible mistake in going Chaos. This is just making me feel horrible at myself. Strange Journey's Chaos path felt like a logical choice, but this is just something else. (Major spoilers post lock)
Isabeau's death scene was just brutal. Before that fight started I wanted to just be like 'no, I changed my mind'.

Oh well, I guess I'll save Neutral for the next play through.

PK Gaming

... what they did to you Lucy?

You look like
a Engineer reject or handsome squidward in a masochist suit

I think Strange Journey was better in the story department (the game feels rushed in the law path)... but then again, I need to do the other

I personaly love his design.

He's not your bishie / or lovable demon like in previous games. He's now this incomprehensible monster, like he should be. Supposedly because he's been weakened, and probably because the fusion wasn't a smooth process.

Top Bottom