• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is it easier for people that know the layout of Tokyo to navigate through the map in this game better? Or is it still fucked?

NeonZ

No offense, but I don't get how people can assume that's the actual ending. The game presents you with an obvious question
DO YOU WANT TO END EXISTENCE Y/N

I guess because many people playing SMT seem to be conditioned to go for any choice that clearly goes against God. So...

Do you want to end existence just to spite God? YES! Wait .... what?!

I think it's hilarious they put something like that in the game and so many people jump for it.

Soulhouf

Is it easier for people that know the layout of Tokyo to navigate through the map in this game better? Or is it still fucked?

Yup, it's much easier. I had some trouble in the beginning because I didn't know where I can walk but knowing the locations of each district helped me a lot.

Aeana

It's super easy. The game is definitely designed with the assumption that the player is familiar with Tokyo. This is why just pulling up a map of Tokyo should help anyone who's having trouble.

vall03

I had a certain sidequest that mentioned going certain locations I had no idea about. Checked a map of Tokyo online and I was able to find the areas quite easily. Guess it really is difficult to navigate if you have no idea about Tokyo. I actually got lost in the earlier parts because I dont know where the places are.

SoulUnison

Banned
Just finished the game after 55 hours. Chaos rout, played at Normal difficulty all the way through.

I've also decided on my playthrough order, now that I have a better idea what each of the different paths entails.

Finished Chaos, I'll Reincarnate and do Law, then Reincarnate and do Bad End to "reset the world," then i'll do a New Life Reincarnation and finish with the Neutral path on Expert difficulty.

Trojita

Yup, it's much easier. I had some trouble in the beginning because I didn't know where I can walk but knowing the locations of each district helped me a lot.

Yus. I had no problem figuring out where I needed to go when the game pointed to certain areas.

It's super easy. The game is definitely designed with the assumption that the player is familiar with Tokyo. This is why just pulling up a map of Tokyo should help anyone who's having trouble.

I had a certain sidequest that mentioned going certain locations I had no idea about. Checked a map of Tokyo online and I was able to find the areas quite easily. Guess it really is difficult to navigate if you have no idea about Tokyo. I actually got lost in the earlier parts because I dont know where the places are.

Damn.... most of my problems were trying to find places on the map lol. It took me forever to find the Gaian Base of operations entrance after I had been there awhile ago earlier in the game (when there was nothing to do there).

The beginning is the weakest part of the game. Enjoy!

Luckily I died enough to where I could lower the difficulty! I'm really digging the vibe to this game. I like how you explore dungeons like that, wish I could run around the towns and castles and such instead of just being points I select on a map but that's ok.

I REALLY wish this support the CPP, I hate the triggers as camera movers.

GulAtiCa

Oh wow, I got a streetpass for the game yesterday. Was surprised to see it come from Devil Summoner: Soul Hacker. Nice to know it could get cross-streetpass support.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Luckily I died enough to where I could lower the difficulty! I'm really digging the vibe to this game. I like how you explore dungeons like that, wish I could run around the towns and castles and such instead of just being points I select on a map but that's ok.

I REALLY wish this support the CPP, I hate the triggers as camera movers.

You will be reeeeeally happy in just a couple hours then :)

Trojita

This is like the only SMT I don't like doing fusion. There is too many options and ways to fuck up. Then the evolutions had me waiting to evolve the demon, then later finding out that they would get better skills being fused.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This is like the only SMT I don't like doing fusion. There is too many options and ways to fuck up. Then the evolutions had me waiting to evolve the demon, then later finding out that they would get better skills being fused.

Wat?

It's like the complete opposite for me. Fusions are so easy to do, it's almost impossible to fuck up.

Trojita

Wat?

It's like the complete opposite for me. Fusions are so easy to do, it's almost impossible to fuck up.

I'm worried about fucking up demons that are to be used in special fusions. Also some of these special fusion demons are pretty bad. I'm not looking forward to creating a perfect version of Alice.

This is coming from the guy that created a ridiculous persona team in Persona 4 (The original) with several persona that were immune to everything (except Almighty of course).

Soriku

I'm worried about fucking up demons that are to be used in special fusions. Also some of these special fusion demons are pretty bad. I'm not looking forward to creating a perfect version of Alice.

This is coming from the guy that created a ridiculous persona team in Persona 4 (The original) with several persona that were immune to everything (except Almighty of course).

Considering you can just fuse any demon again and can just draw from your Compendium (like the other games) there's no way you could fuck them up. I'm not a big fan of the special fusions though, I don't like have to use specific demons to fuse demons, save something simple like Barong and Rangda for Shiva. So I never bothered with special fusions (I was getting along fine with other demons though, which were mostly just support anyway since my MC was my main damage dealer).

Soriku

I put the game down but I'm seeing people on GameFAQs getting the Fiends to spawn (details here)...I think I ought to try then. The 1/256 spawn chance is lame though. The good thing is that it seems that if you spawn them they won't disappear until you beat them.

Aexact

How can you screw up a demon? You could just overwrite them in the Compendium as usual if you don't like what you got?

Anyways, I've finally discovered and started using the Search function that lets you use demons from your Compendium, fused a bunch of useful skills on my elements and now I have no macca. Never have enough macca.

So I just "beat" the game.

I ended up
pressing the button and destroying the reactor after beating King Kenji who Akira is suppose to replace
is this the area where the game is suppose to end? It feels so...abrupt.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So I just "beat" the game.

I ended up
pressing the button and destroying the reactor after beating King Kenji who Akira is suppose to replace
is this the area where the game is suppose to end? It feels so...abrupt.

Nope. You got the typical bad ending.

choose the other option

Neutral route spoilers:

Took a few days off cuz I got burnt with the mandatory side quests in late neutral route. Now I'm hooked again.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if a good game guide online with pics for either Strange Journey or Nocturne?

Something funny happened earlier. I used Fundraiser, and the demon recognized me from hanging around so much (even calling me by name), and was just like "Oh, you need some money? Sure, no problem."

This game just keeps giving amazing moments like that, even on a second play through.

cj_iwakura

This is my current party, built it specifically for Shinjuku and the quests around it.

Feel free to give tips on how I should build my party for the later parts of the game.

http://imgur.com/a/XSEpR

Recarm will be a waste before long, use your demons or have them be easily swapped out. My endgame skill set: Zandyne, Shock, Maragidyne, Mabufudyne, Concentrate, War Cry(essential), Mediarama, Megidola.

Soriku

This is my current party, built it specifically for Shinjuku and the quests around it.

Feel free to give tips on how I should build my party for the later parts of the game.

http://imgur.com/a/XSEpR

Did you put points in Dex or Luck for any particular reason? Since you have a magic MC and all. Just put 4 points in magic and 1 point in agility per level up and you'll decimate everything. I did that for the majority of the game from the beginning and had very little trouble. Having little Luck wasn't even a drawback. I only started putting in points in Luck (and Str) way late in the game so I can open the 100 Luck and Str doors (there's also one other one, I think 100 agility) at a secret part of Kasumigaseki.

For later on, be sure to get Concentrate and get Megido on your MC ASAP. Megido and other such almighty attacks break the game with high magic. Oh and having more than one demon that can do a party heal is nice. Luster Candy and Debilitate are other very worthwhile skills.

Nexas

I'm kinda surprised so many people are getting the bad ending for their first playthrough.

I mean
the White ask you to destroy reality, what did you think was going to happen?

Einbroch

Banned
Beat it. Enjoyed it a lot, but that back fifth or so of the game was a chore. There are two dungeons near the end, at least on the Chaos side, that have "teleporters that lead to ?? area". I was getting frustrated. Outside of that, the amount of jumping around you do got really boring. You seemed to spend less and less time in each place.

Also, I don't live in
Tokyo, so I was lost every time they told me to go to X or Y place in the Z region. I had an FAQ open the whole time.

Those complaints aside, I really did enjoy the ride.

Got the game today. I got it because of the $30 promo and because I'ce always wanted to try this series. This is my first game. I've played it for an hour so far. The start was hard for me because I seemed to have been doing it wrong. Now I have three demons and they're pretty good. The demon skills are also pretty interesting, and the upgrade system is similar to that of Code of Princess.

Before I had a hard time doing anythinf at all. Now I'm enjoying the game a lot. I managed to get the limited edition.

Watashiwa

Omnicide
is compelling what.

Why are so many players getting roped into believing the
Whites
bullshit?

I did it intentionally! Knew I was going to have to do multiple playthroughs, so I took the early bad end to get on with it. Their arguments are somewhat convincing, particularly if you've played an SMT game before, but the real trick is how they appeal to human weakness. It's like Aradia's conversation in Nocturne, where if you admit uncertainty or fear you can get the worst ending when you think you're getting one of the better ones.

Soriku

Omnicide
is compelling what.

Why are so many players getting roped into believing the
Whites
bullshit?

I felt like the decision was really in your face so I understand people picking that option, though unknowingly that it leads to a bad ending. Still though I pity the people that actually saved over their file thinking that was the real ending (not that there really is one though), lolz.
RIP in peace.

Guys, quick question:

Is ANY of the DLC actually worth buying, excluding the free stuff of course. Most of it looks...not worth it so far.

This question applies to any upcoming/Japan released content as well.

LostAnkh

Guys, quick question:

Is ANY of the DLC actually worth buying, excluding the free stuff of course. Most of it looks...not worth it so far.

This question applies to any upcoming/Japan released content as well.
I think two of them are for experience items and the other for macca items.

Also, one of the story's DLC is out, so definitely check that out.

Trojita

I just got to Yamato Takeru. I was going to sleep anyway so I thought I'd see what boss was behind the vault doors and see what weakness he had. What the fuck. It is like a big fuck you to magic build players lol.

Is the bad ending just you pick something and it goes right to the ending without any hassle of having to make up a lot of time or accidentally saving the game while you are on the bad ending.

I'm kinda surprised so many people are getting the bad ending for their first playthrough.

I mean
the White ask you to destroy reality, what did you think was going to happen?

I'm more surprised that people would think that's a real ending, considering
the "final boss" isn't anything like a final boss.

Is the bad ending just you pick something and it goes right to the ending without any hassle of having to make up a lot of time or accidentally saving the game while you are on the bad ending.

After you pick the choice that leads to the bad end, it goes cutscene - battle - cutscene - credits. It does give you a chance to save clear data after the credits finish.

I just got to Yamato Takeru. I was going to sleep anyway so I thought I'd see what boss was behind the vault doors and see what weakness he had. What the fuck. It is like a big fuck you to magic build players lol.

Actually,

If you choose not to push the button, you can leave and save, then go back and do it. That way you don't have to re-fight the boss. It's how I did it.

RedSwirl

How far do you have to get to unlock streetpass? I'd like to be able to do it this weekend because of where I am but don't have a lot of time to play the game.

I was about to say, I didn't unlock street pass till 8 or maybe even 10 hours into the game. Granted, I'm at 70 something hours into the game and still haven't beaten it (though I'm pretty sure I'm really really close to the end now) sooo my times may not exactly be the norm. But I also dont' think you'd unlock it an hour or two into the game. Probably closer to 5 or 6 hours in.

But you unlock it like two rooms after Minotaur.

spiritfox

I'm about 2 and a half hours in and stuck at
the hooded dude while looking for Navarre.
Heard it's after the Minotaur, but that seems pretty far off looking at the included guide.

Yeah it's after the first major boss battle, which I guess is more than a few hours.

Finally finished the game. Neutral Route, nearly 60 hours. This is pretty much my GOTY unless Pokemon manages to knock it out of the park. Final boss was pretty easy though.

-Horizon-

Getting demon jumped in the dark alleys of Shinjuku ain't fun yo.

And I just beat the
guy who swallowed the red pill and became the dellohan..dallohen...that doll thing with the head in its arms. I chose to spare its life, hope this doesn't come back to haunt me.

Top Bottom