• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

spiritfox

Getting demon jumped in the dark alleys of Shinjuku ain't fun yo.

And I just beat the
guy who swallowed the red pill and became the dellohan..dallohen...that doll thing with the head in its arms. I chose to spare its life, hope this doesn't come back to haunt me.

It just affects your alignment. Sparing him gives you law points.

GeekyDad

After five playthroughs, I finally experienced some technical weirdness. Ended up falling through the ground in Blasted Shinjuku and was able to walk below the sand and way off the map. Finally fell through the sky back onto the surface of Shinjuku. Seems to be a clipping issue right as you exit the underground entrance.

I think two of them are for experience items and the other for macca items.

Also, one of the story's DLC is out, so definitely check that out.

Are the story ones actually substantial in any way though? Looking at them it looks like they're just a boss fight? Is it a whole dungeon or something? How much content is in each?

For anyone who's followed the Japanese version - is any of the upcoming DLC worth looking forward to?

Tripon

Are the story ones actually substantial in any way though? Looking at them it looks like they're just a boss fight? Is it a whole dungeon or something? How much content is in each?

For anyone who's followed the Japanese version - is any of the upcoming DLC worth looking forward to?

For the story DLC,
you find out how and why the 4 archangels got locked up in Shinjuku's National Park. And then be able to fuse them.

Watashiwa

Just a boss fight with a tiny bit of story. Unless you want to get into fights with demons with abilities that outright break the game (and recruit a few of them to your side) I don't recommend it.

SerRodrik

I'm thinking of picking up a 3DS with this and Fire Emblem, and I had a quick question, just to be sure: is there any reason to not get an XL? Like, the games don't look too pixelly when they're blown up to a bigger size, right?

Cool, got my first fusion accident

nUn32Qe.jpg

Was trying to fuse a Ame no Uzume and a Thoth to get a Leilah.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Welp, trying to find the hidden fiends before I go to NG+, and reloading/elevator hopping for Red Rider is getting absurd here.

1/256 chance to spawn is really damn annoying.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm thinking of picking up a 3DS with this and Fire Emblem, and I had a quick question, just to be sure: is there any reason to not get an XL? Like, the games don't look too pixelly when they're blown up to a bigger size, right?

Games look fine, better battery life.

So yeah, go with the XL.

Soulhouf

Welp, trying to find the hidden fiends before I go to NG+, and reloading/elevator hopping for Red Rider is getting absurd here.

1/256 chance to spawn is really damn annoying.

TBH I'm fine with that. If I encounter one, that's cool. Otherwise I don't have the patience to reload endlessly to get them.
It's like the famed demons. They are meant to be rare.

KarmaCow

If they wanted to make it a rare occurrence you might stumble into, fine but at least add a way to force the spawn for those who just want to do the fight or get the demon. The stuff with the Fiends and Famed really killed my enthusiasm for multiple playthroughs because I thought I would at least try to complete the compendium through multiple runs. Praying to the RNG gods is just tedious and mindless.

Anbec7

I just got the game any tips?
I died in the tutorial dungeon! LOL

After that I trained and abused of the barracks while going there to sleep instead of ussing my items (since Macca seems precious at least at the beginning)

Also can this game soft reset? The whole cutscene while dying is kinda...long..

Thanks!

KarmaCow

After that I trained and abused of the barracks while going there to sleep instead of ussing my items (since Macca seems precious at least at the beginning)

Thanks!

The early goings is kinda rough because you have such limited resources in terms of skills but the game get significantly easier once you get a few demons to experiment with. Just remember that buffing/debuffing and watching elemental vulnerabilities is key. Thanks to the press turn system, things can swing wildly if you aren't paying attention.

I don't think there is a soft reset but once you see the Charon cutscene once (twice?) you can skip the long build up to actually getting to talk to Charon. It's still faster to home, x, x, a though.

Soriku

Thanks!

Tutorial is a bit tough, but the game will get easier. You can skip through the death sequence with X.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Can someone help with the "I Will Give You My Black Card" quest?

Where do u trigger it, and what do u need to do?

Go to the north exit of the bar in Ginza.

Then go to the west and pay the man 5000 to enter.

Go into the small dungeon there and go to a man who is selling a gold card for, I think it was 10,000.

After buying the card, go to the south and you'll have to pay 50,000 to enter that area, but there is the platinum card there.

Go to the west entrance and you can enter that area.

After that, go back to the bar and get the quest.

Then, go back to that first little dungeon in the west area and pay the guy 100k for the silver coin. Then you get the black card.

PK Gaming

No, Hassou Tobi though. ;p

Famed are only caused by accidents. (Aside from a few special fusions)

I've gotten one accident my entire playthrough. I got an Amanta instead of Fenrir.

Oh that doesn't matter to me, I genuinely like Yoshitsune.

I really dislike the concept of famed demons. In my first run, I genuinely tried to get him via fusion accidents, and reached a certain point where I gave up.

Go to the north exit of the bar in Ginza.

Then go to the west and pay the man 5000 to enter.

Go into the small dungeon there and go to a man who is selling a gold card for, I think it was 10,000.

After buying the card, go to the south and you'll have to pay 50,000 to enter that area, but there is the platinum card there.

Go to the west entrance and you can enter that area.

After that, go back to the bar and get the quest.

Then, go back to that first little dungeon in the west area and pay the guy 100k for the silver coin. Then you get the black card.

You have got to be f'en kidding me. -_-

Can you only get app points by street passing once per game?

I've street passed a few people that had both SMT4/Soul Hacker saves, and it's only ever given me the app points once.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Don't do that quest until you're near the end.

Start selling some extra somas you have, you'll get them back, believe me. Collect Rellics, etc.

Oh that doesn't matter to me, I genuinely like Yoshitsune.

I really dislike the concept of famed demons. In my first run, I genuinely tried to get him via fusion accidents, and reached a certain point where I gave up.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping to get Joan of Arc, because she gets Luster Candy pretty dammed early. Then I learned it's gotta be through an accident...

squadr0n

Anyone really disappointed at the world map sections when u get to the first big areas like Tokyo. Like wtf, they have all these amazing 3D sections and then Tokyo is basically a flat image an u move a cursor instead of ur player character. Basically persona 3 portable all over again. I hate these parts so much so they I'm having a hard time picking the game up again and continuing.

Soriku

150k Macca isn't all that much. Come back later in the game and you should have money. Though I actually had almost the amount of money I needed (sold some stuff to reach the mark) once I hit Ginza because I rarely drew from the Compendium (actually I didn't draw that much from the Compendium for the whole game. Just fusing demons I recruited together worked fine.)

Anyone really disappointed at the world map sections when u get to the first big areas like Tokyo. Like wtf, they have all these amazing 3D sections and then Tokyo is basically a flat image an u move a cursor instead of ur player character. Basically persona 3 portable all over again. I hate these parts so much so they I'm having a hard time picking the game up again and continuing.

No...? Have you played Nocturne? The world map is the same with a cursor walking around. Except unlike P3P you actually walk around with your cursor across a sizable world map instead of it being point and click.

Oh fuck me, I can't finish the Osiris quest now.

Why not?

Don't do that quest until you're near the end.

Start selling some extra somas you have, you'll get them back, believe me. Collect Rellics, etc.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping to get Joan of Arc, because she gets Luster Candy pretty dammed early. Then I learned it's gotta be through an accident...

Okay, I went back to the west dungeon but the guy there won't sell me a silver coin. Says he want to steal a gold coin. Am in the right place? Is this the area after the poison tunnels?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Okay, I went back to the west dungeon but the guy there won't sell me a silver coin. Says he want to steal a gold coin. Am in the right place? Is this the area after the poison tunnels?

Yeah, that's the place. But you have to do all that other stuff before he'll sell you the card.

Actually, there might be one extra part to that quest.

You have to take a picture for some hunter in the entrance to Ginza. She'll ask you to take a picture of some store.

Yeah, that's the place. But you have to do all that other stuff before he'll sell you the card.

Actually, there might be one extra part to that quest.

You have to take a picture for some hunter in the entrance to Ginza. She'll ask you to take a picture of some store.

Crap. So where do I find this hunter?

Hmm...you've talked to the guy who can sell you the Silver Coin right?

Which guy? The same one who sold me the gold card?

Edit:
I got the platinum card. Took the photo. Went back to the dude who sold me the gold card, and he's just talking about stealing the gold card again.

Soriku

There is a poisonous area in Ginza. Go there and get past it and in the next area there'll be a room where there's a guy who'll sell you a Silver Coin.

Honestly all you have to do for this quest line is unlock all the areas, which is done pretty linearly as there is always only one area you can go before you get access to a new area. Talk to any of the guardians and see if there's an area you haven't entered yet.

Edit: Seems like you just missed a room.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Edit:
I got the platinum card. Took the photo. Went back to the dude who sold me the gold card, and he's just talking about stealing the gold card again.

There's another guy in that area who sells a silver coin.

Go to the Tokyo station that connects to Ginza (the one right before Ginza), she's in one of the areas there.

Oddly enough, I ran into her in this neglected area just a couple hours ago as I was running around everywhere trying to find what would put me over the top for
end-game Neutral Champion
having already done such as defeating that pain in the ass
Beezlebub
. And her request did it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oddly enough, I ran into her in this neglected area just a couple hours ago as I was running around everywhere trying to find what would put me over the top for
end-game Neutral Champion
having already done such as defeating that pain in the ass
Beezlebub
. And her request did it.

I know it's late, but thankfully Beezlebub isn't required for that quest.

The first part is though.

I know it's late, but thankfully Beezlebub isn't required for that quest.

The first part is though.

Oh, I was taking out said target as a matter of SMT course. I just thought it might also secondarily close out the other quest. I've been mostly avoiding faqs except for gettings hints in dealing with the infamous SMTIV overworld map.

RedSwirl

Can't beat the Minotaur. I keep using ice magic and re-buffing my team's attack but he can still basically one-hit most of my party whenever he feels like it. Haven't encountered a spell in this game yet to buff defense or debuff attack.

Can't beat the Minotaur. I keep using ice magic and re-buffing my team's attack but he can still basically one-hit most of my party whenever he feels like it. Haven't encountered a spell in this game yet to buff defense or debuff attack.

Knockers have Rakukaja, and you can fuse Angels which learn it too.

Top Bottom