• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

I still contend that Night Stalker is the baddest (looking) mother fucker in the game:

Night_Stalker.jpg

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Completely missed the string of Nozomi side-missions during my first playthrough. I'm doing them now
just beat Azura. Tetrakarn ftw
and they have been fun.

Tripon

Can you even fuse the guy? I dont think he has ever popped up for me on fusion

You can recruit him. What you need to do is recruit a monster in the same battle party with him, and then hope he decides to join in. You can then use him for fusion fodder.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Recommendation: Don't defeat the Boss at the Yamato Nuclear Facility if you have only had one hour of sleep and just got off of a 12 hour shift.

Tirod

I have a progression related question in regard to LATE Neutral Path:
I just filled up the chalice with hope and need to turn the quest in to Masakado, but will doing so prevent me from finishing up the rest of the quests in my log?

Thanks! Time to advance the plot finally.

Flynn's weaknesses/resists/nulls are based on your "Upper Body" equipment slot. You'll have to get different armor to get rid of your Agi weakness.

Thanks. I'm about to fight
Orthrus and his Fire Breath destroyed my team the first few tries. Whispered Bufu onto Flynn and fused a Pele.
Hoping things go more smoothly this time around.

jwhit28

This is definitely the most I have enjoyed a MegaTen game. I'm taking it slow, doing sidequest and goofing around with fusion. As for where I am in the STORY spoilers
I just had the Black Samurai executed and rescued the strange people from Shinjuku Park
. I just hit the 25 hour mark.

Late neutral route observations

I'm going through my quest check list. I'm stuck at 3rd place. I've been following the list of quests on gamefaqs that get you to 1st. Is say its boring if not for the variety and random bosses.

Hmmph

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I actually thought based on what people were saying here that the aftermath of
the Yamato Reactor fight
was the bad ending point lol. So when I didn't press the button, went outside and saved, and came back in and pushed it I thought I initiated the bad ending.

FStop7

Banned
I started in on SMT 4 last night. After 5 hours I'm not sure what to make of it. I hate the camera control, that's for sure.

Also, I hate the fact I can't control my companions in combat. I'm stuck on a very difficult boss fight and one of my companions has repeatedly screwed me by casting a spell that the boss resists and then follows up with a chain of 1 hit kills.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I started in on SMT 4 last night. After 5 hours I'm not sure what to make of it. I hate the camera control, that's for sure.

Also, I hate the fact I can't control my companions in combat. I'm stuck on a very difficult boss fight and one of my companions has repeatedly screwed me by casting a spell that the boss resists and then follows up with a chain of 1 hit kills.

Haha. You are just frustrated cuz Mino is kicking your ass. Once you beat him, you'll feel like a boss.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Any tips for beating Xi Wangmu? She kicks my ass every time...

I beat her last night, so:

Have someone with Tetrakarn. Make sure you have demons with zan (wind) skills in your party. There's a demon that you can fuse at level 29 I believe that has wind breath (1-4 consecutive wind attacks) and she'll help you a lot in this battle. Also try to have someone who nullifies or absorbs electricity attacks.

v1n1c1uS

Neo Member
I got the game this week.

It's my first time with the main series(I finished Persona 4 Golden and really liked, was my first from Persona series).

Just arrived at Ueno Central Station (lvl 20). I'm liking so far,,.

Any tips for beating Xi Wangmu? She kicks my ass every time...

You effectively can't hurt her at all initially. Use the time to buff yourself, and debuff her. Heal yourself if needed. Make sure that Isabeau isn't your ally in that battle too (since her electric spells can cause Xi Wangmu to Smirk). Once a few rounds have passed an event will happen and she becomes vulnerable, then its just a matter of exploiting her weaknesses.

jasonng

I'm locked in for the Law ending and I'm about done. Regarding the terminal quest,
can you unlock all terminals in one play through?

I beat her last night, so:

Have someone with Tetrakarn. Make sure you have demons with zan (wind) skills in your party. There's a demon that you can fuse at level 29 I believe that has wind breath (1-4 consecutive wind attacks) and she'll help you a lot in this battle. Also try to have someone who nullifies or absorbs electricity attacks.

You effectively can't hurt her at all initially. Use the time to buff yourself, and debuff her. Heal yourself if needed. Make sure that Isabeau isn't your ally in that battle too (since her electric spells can cause Xi Wangmu to Smirk). Once a few rounds have passed an event will happen and she becomes vulnerable, then its just a matter of exploiting her weaknesses.

Thanks! I just beat her. I tried fusing a demon with Tetrakarn but I don't have any so I got demons with Tarunda and Sukukaja so she'd miss and if she didn't, the attack wasn't as strong. Finally got Jonathan to help me as well (he has Zanma) :) feels good.

Caliginous

Neo Member
Can you even fuse the guy? I dont think he has ever popped up for me on fusion

Haha this guy cracked me up when he tried to give me skills. He told me he'd show me how to be patriotic.

Anyways, yes you can use him in quite a few fusions, just use the app search.

I took a week-long vacation to the UP of Michigan where I got the chance to wrap up two whole playthroughs of this game - Law and Chaos are both down, and both left me with an incredibly bad taste in my mouth (especially Law). I did the reincarnation NG+ for my second run so it didn't take very long, but I elected to do new life for my third run so I could test out a dex-based build.

Couple questions!
  • How early can you fuse Demonee-ho and get Desperate Shot?
  • I'm pursuing a neutral path this time. What's the easiest way to ensure I stay on the right path? I'm reading a guide on hoe to do this now and it sounds a lot more involved than I assume it is. Is it true that you have to lay off doing challenge quests?
  • Any NG+ exclusive missions or battles I should be concerned about?

70 hours in and I just reached Tokyo on my third playthrough...can't wait to make it to 100!

So I beat the game with Chaos ending. I really enjoyed it, definitely one of the better RPGs I've played. What I found odd was how much better the latter half of the game is compared to the first half. The game really picks up once
you find out that the black samurai is not only the leader of the Ring of Gaea but a demon as well
. The first half of the game is far too easy and doesn't do as much as it could to keep your interest, while the latter half is one of the best RPG experiences of this generation. It seems like a game that gets better with another play through.

I felt that the endings and paths to these games aren't something set but up to interpretation. This is how I interpreted the chaos ending:
I felt that the paths between chaos or order are up to interpretation. Chaos was never about "having the strongest survive" and even less about turning the world into Somalia or the DRC. It was about having humanity start of as new. In the first world we visit in the Yamato Reactor we see the world is literally in nuclear holocaust. We can't imagine how much worse it can become but then a new noble king arises to take control of the land. He has a very radical viewpoint that if the human race will have to start living that humans and demons must coexist. The next place we travel to is a place of complete chaos. Warlords are everywhere and there is next to no order. Within this chaos comes a punk who wants to be king, who like the previous kings is named Akira. After (or before?) defeating the tyrant king Akira gives out his plans. He is going to give all of the people in Tokyo equal rights. Practically being Tokyo's Napoleon. While this may sound shocking there is little surprise. Talking to people around the city you definitely get the idea that people, except for the very macho, are starting to get fed up with how things are ran in Tokyo, especially the neurishers. It is only a matter of time until someone rises up and demands equality. The very same thing is happening in the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado. The Casualries are becoming fed up with the hierarchy structure and the rule of the kingdom. Unlike the previous two Tokyos' shown however there will be no new noble power to put things right. As long as God and his four demon underlings are there to run things the order will continue. Even if you manage to kill all four of God's demon servants things will likely continue as he will spread his influence with someone else. The best thing to do is to try to revert this Tokyo, this world, to the other worlds shown. Bring it into complete Chaos, have the demons run amok, destroying everything in sight. Millions, hundreds of millions will die. It would likely be the biggest genocide in human history. However as shown in the previous two Tokyos' as time passes on things will become right, and a better world then the Chaos and even the Eastern Kingdom of Makato will rise. Unfortunately this is the only way because without the Chaos the world will be stuck in feudal rule for eternity. At the end Lucifer indirectly states this. That it is you who has to be king, the messiah, and lead this world into one that align with the dreams of the other two kings

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Is Almighty considered Magic or Phys/Gun? I ask this question pretty late because I can swear seeing Charge impacting it (Charge > Desperate Hit). I'm building another Gun character from scratch and not investing in Magic at all, but I have a few favorite Almighty spells so I'm hoping they're independent of the stat or at least partially affected by others.

daveo42

Banned
Just cleared Chaos path and had a save right before (late game spoiler)
King Kenji. I was able to drop him a 2nd time and was close enough to Neutral that picking the Law path with the White, I was able to lock in the Neutral path with Stephen. The only path I have left to get will be Law, but that means a full playthrough

Chaos spoilers:
The final fight was pretty tough, but I was expecting to fight all of the Angels after leaving the Purgatorium. Still, a nice finish with the MC becoming the new king of the world. Question: Can you actually complete the quest for Hugo before ending the game?

I might finish in my Neutral lock before putting it down. Had a ton of fun with it, though it made me realize how much more I should have planned my fusions.

Soriku

Is Almighty considered Magic or Phys/Gun? I ask this question pretty late because I can swear seeing Charge impacting it (Charge > Desperate Hit). I'm building another Gun character from scratch and not investing in Magic at all, but I have a few favorite Almighty spells so I'm hoping they're independent of the stat or at least partially affected by others.

Attacks like Megido, Megidola, Megidolaon, Antichthon, and "drain" attacks like Energy Drain are magic. I think there's at least one Almighty physical attack in this game though which is probably affected by Charge.

Chaos spoilers:
The final fight was pretty tough, but I was expecting to fight all of the Angels after leaving the Purgatorium. Still, a nice finish with the MC becoming the new king of the world. Question: Can you actually complete the quest for Hugo before ending the game?

Which Hugo quest? The relic one, yeah. The terminal one I was able to complete on Neutral since you go through both final dungeons, and there are two terminals there. I don't know if you can complete it on Law or Chaos though since you'll always be missing one. There are two more terminals in the Bay area of Tokyo which is optional in Chaos I think that you may or may not have missed as well.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Attacks like Megido, Megidola, Megidolaon, Antichthon, and "drain" attacks like Energy Drain are magic. I think there's at least one Almighty physical attack in this game though which is probably affected by Charge.
Then it must Desperate Hit, which gave me the whole impression. It's the only one I really care about.

Thanks!

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Loved this game so far, but must say the last bit felt rushed compared to the lead up to it.

For awhile I felt a second play through for Chaos was on the horizon.. but the last 4 hours or so tells me that I'm pretty much done with it for awhile.

I kind of take back my dungeons being great, they were... up until
bombed/infernal tokyo
where they just seemed cookie cutter.. and the encounter rate seemed to just go through the roof... I found myself just fleeing fights because I was sick of them.

NeonZ

Loved this game so far, but must say the last bit felt rushed compared to the lead up to it.

The last part of the game is pretty much segmented between different alignments in a way that you never get a complete history in a first playthrough. I think that was a mistake - each path could have extra information, but each one also should have been a complete story, without leaving big dangling plot threads. The way they did things for the last bit of the game seems to leave most people with that impression, rather than wanting to see the other paths.

So I beat the game with Chaos ending. I really enjoyed it, definitely one of the better RPGs I've played. What I found odd was how much better the latter half of the game is compared to the first half. The game really picks up once
you find out that the black samurai is not only the leader of the Ring of Gaea but a demon as well
. The first half of the game is far too easy and doesn't do as much as it could to keep your interest, while the latter half is one of the best RPG experiences of this generation. It seems like a game that gets better with another play through.

[...]
As long as God and his four demon underlings are there to run things the order will continue. Even if you manage to kill all four of God's demon servants things will likely continue as he will spread his influence with someone else. The best thing to do is to try to revert this Tokyo, this world, to the other worlds shown. Bring it into complete Chaos, have the demons run amok, destroying everything in sight.

Huh... regarding the rule of the
archangels...

The archangels do away with the stupid class system as soon as they take control. It wasn't created by them, but by the "Akira" of the main world (who became recorded in history as "Aquilla").

Then, again, Walter doesn't seem to acknowledge that at all, so maybe if you're chaos aligned you don't get that bit of information? I'm not sure how that'd work though.

Top Bottom