• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

It's much MUCH easier to get Neutral in SJ.

Hell, for a good 80% alignment doesn't mean shit, aside from which demons help you. It doesn't lock until
Commander Gore comes back and asks you who you side with and even then it's painfully obvious which choices mean what in that scene. (And for the entire game for that matter)

I just wanted to be sure I got neutral, because that's how I roll.

Well, it's not quite that simple. (Strange Journey spoilers)
If you're too far in either Law or Chaos, Gore won't even give you a choice, but will just fight you straight away.
It's easier to keep track of what alignment you're in due to the name coloring in Strange Journey, but you still can't tell exactly how far in you are without following a guide, and you can still lock yourself out of Neutral by being too far in one direction or the others.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Well, it's not quite that simple. (Strange Journey spoilers)
If you're too far in either Law or Chaos, Gore won't even give you a choice, but will just fight you straight away.
It's easier to keep track of what alignment you're in due to the name coloring in Strange Journey, but you still can't tell exactly how far in you are without following a guide, and you can still lock yourself out of Neutral by being too far in one direction or the others.

Ah, see I was already at neutral at that point and was for the entire game. So, I kinda assumed you were always given a choice.

It was much easier to keep track of and the fact that you were able to give a neutral response to each question helped. (well, most of them anyway, from what I remember been a while since I beat it)

Shengar

Is there any way to level up your demons without make your MC over-leveled? I know the EXP DLC would be the quickest way to do it, but I fear I would misused it ended up trivialized the game. Too many demons, soo little time (and EXP) :(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Pretty far in the game Spoilers

Why would anyone willingly become neurishers? Also why do the item shop people get to stay normal?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Is there any way to level up your demons without make your MC over-leveled? I know the EXP DLC would be the quickest way to do it, but I fear I would misused it ended up trivialized the game. Too many demons, soo little time (and EXP) :(

Nah, you'll always level faster than your demons, though you'll always want to fuse fuse fuse to get stronger demons to whisper skills to you.

Ridley327

Pissing everyone off: still the best way to tell if you're locked into Neutral alignment!

Post alignment lock spoilers:
I'm really curious to see where the story is going to go now, since the game is having me straight up kill the White now.

The part where you lock into a side, I want neutral, is it obvious? I'm just got to Ginza and I'm about to do the entrance test.

Ridley327

The part where you lock into a side, I want neutral, is it obvious? I'm just got to Ginza and I'm about to do the entrance test.

It's not for a while yet from where you are, but that test will be one of the biggest difference makers in what your alignment ultimately turns out to be. If you haven't done so yet, check with the cynical man in the bars to see what alignment you're currently at. Alternatively, pay attention to how your icon spins in the overworld; if it's going back and forth, then you're currently neutral.

Why would anyone willingly become neurishers? Also why do the item shop people get to stay normal?

Becoming a neurisher greatly increases one's chances of survival:

1) You don't have to fight demons or other demonoids(which is an inevitability in that version of Tokyo).

2)Demonoids won't hurt you. If anything, they'd be inclined to protect you.

Clearly it's a pretty miserable existence, but, for those who lack the will or the strength to fight for their survival on a constant basis, it's probably preferable over death.

It's not for a while yet from where you are, but that test will be one of the biggest difference makers in what your alignment ultimately turns out to be. If you haven't done so yet, check with the cynical man in the bars to see what alignment you're currently at. Alternatively, pay attention to how your icon spins in the overworld; if it's going back and forth, then you're currently neutral.
Thanks, I think I'm law right now according to the cynical man, but my icon rocks back and forth. Either way I hope I'm not too far into law.

Ridley327

Thanks, I think I'm law right now according to the cynical man, but my icon rocks back and forth. Either way I hope I'm not too far into law.

If I'm not mistaken, Cynical Man says this of each alignment:

Law: you're polite
Chaos: you're hot-blooded
Neutral: you're hard to figure out

Watashiwa

Ah, unfortunately the rocking thing isn't true in this game. The only alignment tells in the game are the cynical man and the events of the Forest.

Yeah I just double checked. Cynical Man says very polite and my icon rocks back and forth. I guess I'll try to get some chaos points to see if I can get the ending I want.

I'm using a guide because I'm on NG+, and I do not to waste my time accidentally getting it wrong. Just winging it doesn't mean you'll always get it right.

Oh no doubt. I hope I didn't sound like I was bragging or anything! My surprise was more that I was able to pull it off without using a guide, because I wanted the neutral route and I didn't know that there were actual alignment points that pushed you to either side until later, and at that point there was no way I was going to restart.

Oddly enough, all of my choices should have pushed me waaaaaaaay farther into the Law side of things.

Watashiwa

Well, that's just silly!

Won't disagree. I was pretty upset when I realized that I'd somehow managed to be too lawful to get a neutral ending despite the traditional tell saying I was neutral. Hopefully they change that in the Maniax version of SMT4, should it get one.

PK Gaming

Oh no doubt. I hope I didn't sound like I was bragging or anything! My surprise was more that I was able to pull it off without using a guide, because I wanted the neutral route and I didn't know that there were actual alignment points that pushed you to either side until later, and at that point there was no way I was going to restart.

Oddly enough, all of my choices should have pushed me waaaaaaaay farther into the Law side of things.
There are some innocuous dialogue choices that give you a ton of points on either side, so i'm guessing that you managed to land a few +law/-chaos choices consecutively.

You could consider yourself lucky, since the window for neutral was really small.

Watashiwa

So I'm starting up Ancient of Days...
OH SHIT The White weren't kidding when they said they'd be back!

Come to think of it, that could have been a really good framing device for all the DLC.
To encourage the player character's despair the White are showing scenes from the past and future, and allowing the player to interfere... but telling you later that your interference only effected the events you saw, and not anything that actually happened.

dGpw1Q6.jpg

YES! I got so lucky Jack attacked with Poison Claw and she got poisoned the whole battle. Every time she attacked she'd lose HP :) WOOT!

Tirod

Well I just finished my Neutral Route run, with a completion time just under 58 hours. I really wanted to complete all the Challenge quests, but by the time I was finished with the meatier content of the path, I said screw it and just ran to the finish line.

Here's a small album of my final character build, demon team, and skill sets if anyone is curious.

I'd have to say that as a whole, I tremendously enjoyed the game. The only downer for me was the lack of difficulty after you get past the beginning of the game. I don't know if that diminished difficulty came from the way I built my character, my play style with the rest of the demons on my team, the way I built my demon skill lists, or a combination of all of the above, the game was overall a breeze outside of enemies spawning under me after finishing a fight.

I'll see how Expert on New Life Restart NG+ or how the superboss DLC plays out, hopefully some challenge sprouts from there. I know I'm going to do a Magic/Agility build, not sure whether I'll be Chaos or Law.

I loved the soundtrack, the way Neutral played out, the "heavier" story and character elements, the flow of battle, the way character progression functioned, and graphical presentation.

Overall I'd give it a 9/10, and it's definitely my GOTY so far.

I just bought SMTIV and Soul Hackers, which one should I play first ??

SMT IV is way more enjoyable. Play it first.

Shengar

Nah, you'll always level faster than your demons, though you'll always want to fuse fuse fuse to get stronger demons to whisper skills to you.
Aw man, that sucks. Things that make me always have a full demon stock is that mysterious skills they will learn in later level. Waiting for those are pain in the ass with many (cool, strong, good looking, or all of it) waiting around in my fusion list :(
http://i.imgur.com/dGpw1Q6.jpg[img]

YES! I got so lucky Jack attacked with Poison Claw and she got poisoned the whole battle. Every time she attacked she'd lose HP :) WOOT![/QUOTE]

You know that in my first battle against her, I walk up there unprepared, two of my demon have low hp and mp, and one have weakness to lightning. But I almost won the battle because she kept using Zionga on my demon with null-elec.

So just did the Test of Ethics
and went full Law since I want to get that out of the way since it lacks New Game+ content. I want to punch myself for every answer I gave. Then I talked to Fujiwara and I want to punch both myself and Johnathon.

NeonZ

The test of ethics questions are kind of weird considering some later events...

Not wanting to adopt new technology fits in with Jonathan's ideology, that things should stay the same, but, later on in the game that's not what the law side is about at all.
They really should have had a light law and dark law here considering how you've got completely different, and contradictory, actions all considered "law". Ironically, "chaos" is much more consistent and rigid.

Because they didn't want to fuse themselves with demons to become stronger, and the alternative then was fighting against the entire society as normal humans and likely dying. Kenji declared that they had to be neurishers or demonoids and so they had to make a choice or defeat Kenji.

I can't get enough of this game. About 40 hours in, I'm about Lv.45 in Shibuya after
beating Koga Saburo
. Got all the apps for skills and demon stock. Running a phys MC build and just wrecking all regular battles with Blight+8.

So good.

Soulhouf

I can't get enough of this game. About 40 hours in, I'm about Lv.45 in Shibuya after
beating Koga Saburo
. Got all the apps for skills and demon stock. Running a phys MC build and just wrecking all regular battles with Blight+8.

So good.

Blight is one of the best skills in the game.

Shengar

When will you get aligment locked in this game? I followed a guide to achieve neutral, but only from midway so I'm not really sure about it.

NeonZ

When will you get aligment locked in this game? I followed a guide to achieve neutral, but only from midway so I'm not really sure about it.

You'll get alignment locked after leaving a place called "Infernal Tokyo" and answering two questions.

LostAnkh

I checked with the Cynical Man, and he says I'm Neutral. I'm about to go to Ginza to
kill Yuriko
, what choices should I make from here on out to get a neutral ending?

BTW, I did not speak with the lady in Ikebukuro

Story started kinda meh but now I want to know all the secrets of Tokyo and Mikado :eek: I'm on my way to
Roppongi after meeting with Yuriko. I just beat Tenkai in Midtown.
How far along am I?

I swear this game can be super cheap.

So I'm doing the Insane Horde challenge quest in Shinjuku. I'm saved right before I fight the last one. When I slaughter the final horde, a demon called Chernobog appears and totally wipes me out. I really dislike surprise 'boss appears out of nowhere' encounters before having a chance to heal and all that in JRPGs.

Anyways, I got it down to flashing red once, but I can't find its weakness (or rather I don't have the magic it's weak too).

Anyone have tips on what it's weak against? If I have that, I'm sure I'll be able to finish it off with little problem.

EDIT
: Nevermind, got him. It made a huge difference by the horde not getting the first attack (strange enough, when I hit them with my sword in the field, they get to attack first. When I ran into them head on without attacking, I got to attack first). Not playing healer during my first turn got me to get through the battle unscathed and I was fresh for Chernobog. Flynn still died during the fight but my demons all survived.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I got locked into Neutral!

I did it without a guide too! I just made sure to balance out my answers and check with the cynical man every now and then.

Phew, just beat the game on Neutral (didn't use a guide either, I thought I was gonna be Law to be honest) beat it after 74 hours, haha. At about the 60 or so hour mark I was all ready to get the Law and Chaos endings on New Game+, but now I think I'm kinda worn out. Don't think I've got it in me to go through the game twice again, even if it won't take anywhere near that amount of time. I heard that none of the endings are all that satisfying alone, but I was pretty satisfied with how Neutral ended. Great game. Can anyone give me the general gist of what happens if you go Law or Chaos?

What did Fujiwara say?

Basically: Do you think the people of Mikado and Tokyo could get coexist (rather than the people of Tokyo being stuck underground with all the demons) ? Johnathon/Law Answer: Nope.

The test of ethics questions are kind of weird considering some later events...

Not wanting to adopt new technology fits in with Jonathan's ideology, that things should stay the same, but, later on in the game that's not what the law side is about at all.
They really should have had a light law and dark law here considering how you've got completely different, and contradictory, actions all considered "law". Ironically, "chaos" is much more consistent and rigid.

It actually makes sense that Chaos is more rigid here, since there's actually only 1 Chaos faction (since Lilith leads the Ring of Gaea) while there's 2 to 4 Law factions (the Asura-Kai and Mastema , Mikado and the Archangels ) none of who align perfectly and none of whom are really "Law Light", since the Archangels are about as whacked out as their God (despite technically being Law Light) .

Weirdly I don't think there's a game where Chaos Light/Dark are separate factions. Chaos usually seems to be run pretty exclusively by Tyrants , while the Furies either actively support them , generally end up taking a more Neutral stance due to being protector gods or have no story role at all. I guess since they are the underdog in the Cosmic War (as opposed to a non-player like Neutral) it makes sense that Chaos is united under a powerful leader for the most part, you'd start to see more splits and rivalries if they were dominant.

It seems to be really hard to do Chaos Light as a faction too really, Chaos is often being a jerkass for no reason on the small scale but the large scale explicit ideological choices are usually chaos slanted .

Well there are kind of 2 Chaos factions (maybe?) in Devil Survivor with Naoya and Lucifer more or less agreeing that kicking God is good and not caring about much else and Belberith who wants to kill God and rule in his place (and he's *probably* Chaos-Dark from his behaviour) .

cj_iwakura

Basically: Do you think the people of Mikado and Tokyo could get coexist (rather than the people of Tokyo being stuck underground with all the demons) ? Johnathon/Law Answer: Nope.

It actually makes sense that Chaos is more rigid here, since there's actually only 1 Chaos faction (since Lilith leads the Ring of Gaea) while there's 2 to 4 Law factions (the Asura-Kai and Mastema , Mikado and the Archangels ) none of who align perfectly and none of whom are really "Law Light", since the Archangels are about as whacked out as their God (despite technically being Law Light) .

Weirdly I don't think there's a game where Chaos Light/Dark are separate factions. Chaos usually seems to be run pretty exclusively by Tyrants , while the Furies either actively support them , generally end up taking a more Neutral stance due to being protector gods or have no story role at all. I guess since they are the underdog in the Cosmic War (as opposed to a non-player like Neutral) it makes sense that Chaos is united under a powerful leader for the most part, you'd start to see more splits and rivalries if they were dominant.

It seems to be really hard to do Chaos Light as a faction too really, Chaos is often being a jerkass for no reason on the small scale but the large scale explicit ideological choices are usually chaos slanted .

Well there are kind of 2 Chaos factions (maybe?) in Devil Survivor with Naoya and Lucifer more or less agreeing that kicking God is good and not caring about much else and Belberith who wants to kill God and rule in his place (and he's *probably* Chaos-Dark from his behaviour) .

Chaos-Light to me would mean free will for everyone and the strong rule, but NOT killing the weak.

Anteo

So until before the forest event early in the game, I was playing this game and it was fun, but really didnt grab me. Not sure at what happened but now I'm hooked. So question, about these challenges (capture Wu Kong, clear the haunted gaunlet) is there a way to recruit these demons? They died pretty fast on the last fight and never got a chance to ask them or anything. They also deal a lot of damage so I didnt want to take the risk until I knew they were going to die in one more turn, saldy they died earlier than expected.

Toki1776

So until before the forest event early in the game, I was playing this game and it was fun, but really didnt grab me. Not sure at what happened but now I'm hooked. So question, about these challenges (capture Wu Kong, clear the haunted gaunlet) is there a way to recruit these demons? They died pretty fast on the last fight and never got a chance to ask them or anything. They also deal a lot of damage so I didnt want to take the risk until I knew they were going to die in one more turn, saldy they died earlier than expected.

Most of them will be available eventually through special fusion. They seem to become available once you've beaten them, and have recruited at least one of the component demons.
Someone may correct me on that, though. :)

NeonZ

Most demons that are challenge quest bosses become available for fusion once you beat them (under special fusions). However, especially early in the game, they're too high level, so you likely won't have their components, and, even if you have them, won't be able to fuse them due to their level. They appear as silhouettes in the special fusion menu before you get their components.

David is one of the lowest level ones, in the low 20s, and he has Blight, which is pretty useful early and mid game.

Top Bottom