• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Plus Atlus already did put both EO4 and Soul Hackers on sale, so the possibility of a SMTIV eShop sale down the road does exist (although the discount is most likely going to be $10).

If Atlus sale price is the normal price for everyone else, that isn't much of a sale price.

coopolon

Plus Atlus already did put both EO4 and Soul Hackers on sale, so the possibility of a SMTIV eShop sale down the road does exist (although the discount is most likely going to be $10).

I wish the soul hackers sale would have lasted longer so I could gave gotten it with the fe:a/smt4 deal.

Ahhh that's great, I pay 40 a year since I'm a college student.

I used up my student Amazon Prime abilities a long time ago. Managed to get about two years free before they started clamping down on the program's uses.

I wish the soul hackers sale would have lasted longer so I could gave gotten it with the fe:a/smt4 deal.

Agreed. I saw a lot of people tweeted such a comment to Atlus (me included) so hopefully they consider putting Soul Hackers or EO4 on sale sometime soon.

Just looked up SMTIV at the e-shop an surprised that it's $50 as well. Why are they pricing it the same as the retail version? Doesn't make sense at all.

M3d10n

Just looked up SMTIV at the e-shop an surprised that it's $50 as well. Why are they pricing it the same as the retail version? Doesn't make sense at all.

...because that's how it goes for all of ATLUS games? The retail version without the bonuses is also $50, just you know.

Also, there's another reason: while they do get more money per sale from the eShop than retail, the existing retail copies already cost them money upfront and need to be recouped. Therefore I imagine they would like anyone who is able to buy a retail copy over the eShop version to do so, leaving the eShop version as long-tail.

...because that's how it goes for all of ATLUS games? The retail version without the bonuses is also $50, just you know.

Also, there's another reason: while they do get more money per sale from the eShop than retail, the existing retail copies already cost them money upfront and need to be recouped. Therefore I imagine they would like anyone who is able to buy a retail copy over the eShop version to do so, leaving the eShop version as long-tail.

Never knew that is how Atlus priced their games. Thanks but honestly it is still a bit silly to price it the same as the retail version in which you get a good amount of extra goodies. Give us an incentive to buy the digital version opposed to the retail.

/rant

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Just started. I really love the music when you first start questing. It might be one of the few included soundtrack discs that I actually listen to.

TEJ

Never knew that is how Atlus priced their games. Thanks but honestly it is still a bit silly to price it the same as the retail version in which you get a good amount of extra goodies. Give us an incentive to buy the digital version opposed to the retail.

/rant

you'll easily be able to find an e-shop copy 3 months from now

BAM

there's your incentive. atlus doesn't normally print large amounts of copies for their games and it's rare to see reprints for them.

Soriku

you'll easily be able to find an e-shop copy 3 months from now

BAM

there's your incentive. atlus doesn't normally print large amounts of copies for their games and it's rare to see reprints for them.

They reprint like all their SMT games. The Raidou games got recently reprinted before Soul Hackers was released.

Jessicat

They reprinted Devil Survivor Overclocked, Radiant Historia, and the first three EO games.
VGP.ca recently got a Strange Journey reprint not too long ago as well.

As for me, 6 hours in and it keeps getting better. Only problem I have is the exp gain is really crap/takes forever to level and pretty much anything can still kill you/your party members in the right conditions(ex. I suck at timing my sword slash for battles to get that pre-emptive strike x.x) Not playing easy mode, and I haven't died since getting my party together after those first few levels. At least MC dying isn't game over, had that happen a couple times but my demons pulled through for me (yay! XD)
Can't remember if I've complained enough about the voices yet :p I just want to punch Navarre all the time but that's probably part of his character being an elitist jerk. Who voices the AI Burroughs?(Did I spell that right?) I feel like I've heard her voice before, or I'm having weird deja vu as I've been playing KI:U recently as well XD

TEJ

They reprinted Devil Survivor Overclocked, Radiant Historia, and the first three EO games.

all the games you've listed are years after the fact. i mean i guess if you're lucky atlus will reprint this 4 years from now but good luck to anyone who wants to buy a physical copy 4 months from now.

Soriku

all the games you've listed are years after the fact. i mean i guess if you're lucky atlus will reprint this 4 years from now but good luck to anyone who wants to buy a physical copy 4 months from now.

Overclocked and Radiant Historia didn't take years. The EO games sure. Though they weren't that expensive in the first place.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Exclusive bosses/demons and skills(through the demons) and supposedly the final three expand on the story a bit.

That is fucked. Total bullshit if true.

</kneejerk>

Well maybe, depends on how much the expand it I guess.

brinstar

It's somewhere. Maybe when you fuse a demon? I can't remember off-hand, but I've seen mention of resistance/vulnerability to status effects many times in the descriptive text.

not to bring up an old discussion, but I'm playing it now and you're right it does show ailment resistances, on the page when you go to register a demon in the compendium.

TEJ

Overclocked and Radiant Historia didn't take years. The EO games sure. Though they weren't that expensive in the first place.

Even so, you only listed a small number of games out of the number of games Atlus USA has released.

And even if the EO games weren't that expensive they were hard to find in game stores shortly after release. Thankfully I bought my copies on release.

ZenComp

Neo Member
So does the DLC have anything important, or is it just for an easier game?
At launch, no. Later DLC will be boss fights (which become fusable after you beat them, of course), including a couple of exclusive demons that aren't recolors.
Also a few armors based on demons in the game will come out.

Soriku

Even so, you only listed a small number of games out of the number of games Atlus USA has released.

And even if the EO games weren't that expensive they were hard to find in game stores shortly after release. Thankfully I bought my copies on release.

Those are just the ones I'm aware of...some others could've been reprinted as well, I don't know. The two Devil Survivor games on the DS are reasonably priced. Strange Journey is kind of expensive these days though in comparison ($30+) though it used to be like ~$15 at some point.

GeekyDad

Really embarrassed by that name entry intro. That's really bad.

You mean where the old man grunts? Ha, ha! Yeah, that was fucking bad. But most of the rest of the dialogue is delivered surprisingly well. Think Walter might be done by the same guy who does Leon S. Kennedy.

ZenComp

Neo Member
Don't like the vibe of the intro in general.
I like mysterious finding yourself in Tokyo but after that, it's like,"who the fuck is Iscchar? Why are these guys laying out on the field?
I'll keep watching though, hopefully it gets more mysterious and less animu.
Should get better when you reach Tokyo, if not earlier.
So for people who have played the game how long does it take to get to Tokyo?
Took me about 8 or 9 hours, I don't remember very well.

Jessicat

Ali Hillis

AKA Lightning
Never played FF but looks like my deja vu hunch was right, she's also Palutena's voice! ...darn, now I'll be expecting some punny jokes from her between battling demons XD

Starting to get tired so no more SMT for today(well, today just started since it's past midnight here but yea). Will continue my conquest of Naraku later. Possibly too late to ask, but can you miss challenge quests? I got 2, did one and wanted to heal before doing the next and got pulled through the storyline instead ;>> Just wondering.

Top Bottom