• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Jessicat

But...but...how will you know when you become a "som-oo-rai"?
Thanfully the AI doesn't call you that at least, and she's with you the most XD Everything has subs though, even the cutscenes, so you can play on mute and not worry about missing info or bad pronounciations :p
Actual spoilers:
In the game you need to touch the touch screen/gauntlet before it recognizes you as a samurai. I was amused with the monks there saying "look at the mystical text!" and there was some Japanese on the gauntlet screen XD

Mupod

Ok, I am amazed at all the people defending this price but whatever...

If someone had asked me 'would you pay 10 bucks extra to get this game localized in summer 2013 instead of 2014?' I would have said yes without hesitation. In fact we had a thread like this a while back. The limited edition extra stuff made it 100% acceptable.

Now the eshop release, I would not pay 50 bucks for. I don't think any digital game should be full price, but it can't be helped in this case since for some reason in 2013 they still need to pander to retailers. But SMT4 is functionally $20 for anyone who already owns FE:A and is planning on buying Ace Attorney, so whatever.

I wouldn't like it if we got a trend of $50 'big' 3DS games, we might have if we didn't fight Revelaitons' pricing back before launch. But Atlus has handled this one as well as they could have.

I think it's more a matter of "we already had this discussion." I wasn't particularly thrilled about the price, either, but then when Ben & Jerry's goes up, I grumble and buy it anyway. This is my Ben & Jerry's. I'd like to pay less for it, but no one else makes New York Super Fudge Chunk, so what you gonna do?

Not sure if you had used that analogy previously, but it is perfect.

The $30 credit was what threw me over the top of buying at launch vs waiting and seeing if I can snatch up a copy when/if the price dropped.

Lucent

No but why come here to whine about it?

I mean it;s not like we can do anything about it.

$50 is worth it for the strategy guide and I don't have any sympathy for people who buy games digitally.

Physical copies are always best and Nintendo has a bad digital service which means i would never recommend buying off the eshop unless you have no choice.

Pretty much this all around. I don't really trust having digital versions of games available in physical form until Nintendo has a real account system.

Goby

Banned
Pretty much this all around. I don't really trust having digital versions of games available in physical form until Nintendo has a real account system.

Same, not to mention the presentation and service of their eshop is terrible. The lack of titles is another detriment.

I cannot wait until Tuesday though so the discussion can be on the game.

Velcro Fly

Not to continue the discussion on price but I'd definitely pay $50 for some SE games that either aren't coming over or are still really in doubt. And that is just physical release only with no extras. Stuff like DQ7 or even the DQM remake I'd probably pay that much for. I think the premium price has a place when there is a demand for a game and a company either takes a risk to localize it or localizes it faster for the higher price.

As for the eShop, I think people going full digital on this system aren't getting their money's worth anyway with no account system. That goes double for this release because of the worthwhile stuff that comes with a physical release. eShop is nice for stuff that might be harder to find later, but I wouldn't use it unless I had to. It's a real shame too because of how cheap storage is for the 3DS.

Amen to that.

Also, has anyone had their copy shipped from Amazon? Or will they do that on Monday?

I hope!

It says I won't get it until the 22nd at the earliest but if it ships on Monday I might get it by Friday. Which would be bad because I have a wedding to attend that day so I wouldn't get to play anyway!

What more is there for me to say? You think small developers deserve to charge extra for translations, I don't.

I went through the effort of typing three paragraphs and you think that's all I said? It's clear you're not here to listen to other points of view.

Amen to that.

Also, has anyone had their copy shipped from Amazon? Or will they do that on Monday?

I'd check, but I ordered the game through one of my friend's Amazon Prime account.

hitmon

So because Atlus is a small developer, it's ok to charge $50 for a handheld game on the eShop? If Atlus gets away with it, won't everyone start charging $50 for 3DS games?

I don't think its ok, but Atlus might get away with it because they know they have a loyal fanbase. They probably don't expect to sell much anyways. SMT is pretty niche.

Maybe the higher price point is to help fund the cross promotion with Fire Emblem?

I went through the effort of typing three paragraphs and you think that's all I said? It's clear you're not here to listen to other points of view.

Your three paragraphs come down to what I said. You think it's ok for Atlus to charge extra for translation because they are a small developer.

If there is something I missed then please point it out. If you want me to say more about this line:

If other developers do it, they have to prove that there's some reasoning behind it.

Other developers could use the same reasoning.

Your three paragraphs come down to what I said

No they didn't. I'm not going to retype everything I already typed just because you're too interested in being antagonistic and not interested in discussion.

Other developers could use the same reasoning.

If other developers have niche titles that wouldn't be translated without a price hike, then sure. Atlus has gained my trust through years of not increasing prices for no reason.

If other developers have niche titles that wouldn't be translated without a price hike, then sure. Atlus has gained my trust through years of not increasing prices for no reason.

I can easily see SE saying "If you want Type-0, it will cost extra for localization".

Your argument really comes down to: "Atlus is special so they can charge extra for localization but other companies can't". At least that's the way I am reading it.

I can easily see SE saying "If you want Type-0, it will cost extra for localization".

Your argument really comes down to: "Atlus is special so they can charge extra for localization but other companies can't". At least that's the way I am reading it.

Atlus isn't special. I'm listing off reasons why they can increase the price without it bothering me (including how Atlus doesn't do so often, has a very niche series, included plenty of special bonuses, went the full 100% in translation, did so quickly, and is working with Nintendo on $30 eShop credit).

And yes, I would prefer the option to pay extra for Type 0 as opposed to not getting it at all.

I'm not trying to get frustrated here, but you're not reading my posts and you're imagining my position as something very different than what it actually is by taking away all of the justification I offer you. I've had enough, I'm done.

ohlawd

I'm not trying to get frustrated here, but you're not reading my posts and you're imagining my position as something very different than what it actually is by taking away all of the justification I offer you. I've had enough, I'm done.

Time to play the waiting game with ohlawd and the other plebs not living in a city that doesn't break street dates :D

duckroll

Honestly, anyone can charge anything they want. It's mostly a free market. But there are standards and expectations, and if they feel that charging more would lose them more business than the extra profit gained, then they wouldn't do it. Atlus has probably weighed the pros and cons, and decided 50 bucks is not too much to ask for SMT4. If they're wrong then they will lose money. Anyone who feels the price is too high is free to either wait for a price drop on the retail copy, or not buy it at all. I think that's a valid approach.

Also keep in mind that there's a FE + SMT offer on the eshop where those who buy both FE and SMT4 get 30 dollars in eShop credit. That's a pretty bold promotion considering both games actually fall within the interests of many core RPG fans.

Atlus isn't special. I'm listing off reasons why they can increase the price without it bothering me (including how Atlus doesn't do so often, has a very niche series, included plenty of special bonuses, went the full 100% in translation, did so quickly, and is working with Nintendo on $30 eShop credit).

And yes, I would prefer the option to pay extra for Type 0 as opposed to not getting it at all.

Ok, if those reasons ONLY apply to Atlus. I would say that it makes them special.

I don't understand this "Atlus doesn't raise prices by $10 very often". Ok, but most developers don't do ever do that. I remember people bitching about the SE tax that was $5 extra for DS games, yet this is ok.

I am not trying to get frustrated here but claiming that I am not reading your posts because we disagree is frustrating. You say you don't think Atlus is special but you give a list of reasons why you think THEY and ONLY THEY should get away with a $10 price hike. Sorry but I can only see that as you treating Atlus like they are special.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Honestly, anyone can charge anything they want. It's mostly a free market. But there are standards and expectations, and if they feel that charging more would lose them more business than the extra profit gained, then they wouldn't do it. Atlus has probably weighed the pros and cons, and decided 50 bucks is not too much to ask for SMT4. If they're wrong then they will lose money. Anyone who feels the price is too high is free to either wait for a price drop on the retail copy, or not buy it at all. I think that's a valid approach.

Also keep in mind that there's a FE + SMT offer on the eshop where those who buy both FE and SMT4 get 30 dollars in eShop credit. That's a pretty bold promotion considering both games actually fall within the interests of many core RPG fans.

It is quite the steal. I was getting both but I'm rewarded for my dedication. YESSSS

epmode

That promotion means that I can feel a lot better about Ace Attorney 5 being exclusive to one of the worst digital stores around.

Since I already own FE, this will only cost $20 but knowing Nintendo, we won't get that $30 credit for another month and a half. I remember having to wait to get a Donkey Kong game because they don't give out rewards until the end of a promotion.

Also, since Club Nintendo can easily track all the games you have registered, why doesn't Nintendo treat it like a PSN or Live account...stubbornness?

ohlawd

None of the SMT4 DLC interests me so far. Maybe if I beat the game I'll want more content, but that rarely happens. I'm not much of a DLC dude.

I'll probably save the $30 for Pokemon X/Y.

I want the grinding DLC (not gonna use it on my 1st playthrough) and the story related DLC. I'll still buy the rest cuz Atlus deserves all my monies.

Did the same for FEA even though most of them weren't really worth it.

Bullza2o

So I'm leaving for vacation next Monday July 22. I have my preorder set for Super Saver Shipping, but my recent Amazon order using said shipping arrived a whopping 16 days after ordering.

Does paying for standard shipping ($5) mean I'll most likely get it before Saturday?

zroid

Banned
Since I already own FE, this will only cost $20 but knowing Nintendo, we won't get that $30 credit for another month and a half

well it hasn't happened yet so who knows, but

Once you've completed your surveys, log back into your Club Nintendo account and click on the $30 eShop Credit item in your To-Do list. It may take up to one hour for the Club Nintendo website to be updated with your To-Do list item. Click 'redeem' on the $30 eShop Credit item page and confirm your order to receive an activation code with a value of $30 in Nintendo eShop credit.

So I'm leaving for vacation next Monday July 22. I have my preorder set for Super Saver Shipping, but my recent Amazon order using said shipping arrived a whopping 16 days after ordering.

Does paying for standard shipping ($5) mean I'll most likely get it before Saturday?

That's going to depend on a half dozen factors, such as how close you are to the nearest warehouse and what shipping service is used to get the game to you.

If you want to pay money to get the game soon enough, I'd say upgrade to the $8 two-day/release-date shipping, or see if there's a Gaffer with Amazon Prime to buy it for you if you Paypal them.

Bullza2o

That's going to depend on a half dozen factors, such as how close you are to the nearest warehouse and what shipping service is used to get the game to you.

If you want to pay money to get the game soon enough, I'd say upgrade to the $8 two-day/release-date shipping, or see if there's a Gaffer with Amazon Prime to buy it for you if you Paypal them.

Well I've only had problems with late orders when Amazon uses USPS. Is standard shipping also via USPS? If so , I think I might as well pay the extra $3 for Release day delivery.

Well I've only had problems with late orders when Amazon uses USPS. Is standard shipping also via USPS? If so , I think I might as well pay the extra $3 for Release day delivery.

I think it is, yes. Though you might get lucky, but I wouldn't bet on it.

When you pay the extra, you get the package on time. Amazon's really amazing at that.

Sleepy

What cheat DLC?

I think I am saving the $30 for Etrian Odyssey Untold. I think this is the only sensible game to buy with the money. :)

Bullza2o

I think it is, yes. Though you might get lucky, but I wouldn't bet on it.

When you pay the extra, you get the package on time. Amazon's really amazing at that.

Oh that sucks cause Animal Crossing took like 4 days before it was even shipped via that carrier! Thanks for the info. I have $125 Amazon credits so I probably shouldn't be worried haha.

M3d10n

Plus Atlus already did put both EO4 and Soul Hackers on sale, so the possibility of a SMTIV eShop sale down the road does exist (although the discount is most likely going to be $10).

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
What cheat DLC?

I think I am saving the $30 for Etrian Odyssey Untold. I think this is the only sensible game to buy with the money. :)

The DLC mission is pretty easy and allows you to get lots of money and a special demon.

Not necessarily a cheat, but can make the game easier.

coopolon

I'm starting to wonder if I should play strange journey before playing this one. The only SMT game I've ever played is persona 3 portable which I loved. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like them all, and I want to play them all. I know story wise sj and smt4 are probably completely unrelated, but i'm thinking it might be hard going back to sj after having smt4.

any advice?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm starting to wonder if I should play strange journey before playing this one. The only SMT game I've ever played is persona 3 portable which I loved. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like them all, and I want to play them all. I know story wise sj and smt4 are probably completely unrelated, but i'm thinking it might be hard going back to sj after having smt4.

any advice?

If you want to play SMTIV as soon as possible, I wouldn't recommend starting SJ first since the game is long as fuck (60 hours + at the least).

Well, I'm assuming Amazon is gonna start shipping copies on monday?

Yeah, they'll ship games on Monday with one-day shipping for release-date delivery.

any advice?

SMT4 has some nice upgrades and features but I don't think going back to SJ will be impossible. Depends on how hard it is for you to go backwards in a series.

So, those dlc missions, they have special demons right. You think you can get the special demons and avoid the exp, cash and AP? I know they are pallate swaps, but still...

Top Bottom