• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Aw man, that sucks. Things that make me always have a full demon stock is that mysterious skills they will learn in later level. Waiting for those are pain in the ass with many (cool, strong, good looking, or all of it) waiting around in my fusion list :(

You know that in my first battle against her, I walk up there unprepared, two of my demon have low hp and mp, and one have weakness to lightning. But I almost won the battle because she kept using Zionga on my demon with null-elec.
hahahaha! I was shocked too she came out of no where :p

Marche90

Hey, guys. I finally took the plunge on the game and bought it, and obviously I can't wait to dig in (as of this writing, I'm downloading the game) Just one question. How long until the game appears on my Club Nintendo Account? Even though the account is linked, it still hasn't appeared. Thanks in advance. Nevermind, already registered the game and got my $30 code :)

Soulhouf

How is that even possible lol?

I don't know. I wanted to follow Jonathan, but after seeing how bad his part was, I changed my mind and picked the choices that seemed more chaotic since then.

I have no idea how the final alignment is chosen (I avoid the technical details because it always ruin my experience after seeing the math which is used behind) so I always followed my intuition.

Anyway, I reloaded my save but it seems that it's impossible to obtain the chaos ending this time, so I went law.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't know. I wanted to follow Jonathan, but after seeing how bad his part was, I changed my mind and picked the choices that seemed more chaotic since then.

I have no idea how the final alignment is chosen (I avoid the technical details because it always ruin my experience after seeing the math which is used behind) so I always followed my intuition.

Anyway, I reloaded my save but it seems that it's impossible to obtain the chaos ending this time, so I went law.

Well no fucking wonder. I thought you were going full law or chaos in your choices and somehow still ended up neutral. Now that would be completely fucked up.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It's worth keeping an Estoma Sword flunky in stock for exploring the world map. It auto kills weak demons you contact on the World Map. Poismundi is another thing worth having a stock flunky for. There's just way to many forced encounters with Poison/Sick for the number of items you get and you never recover naturally.

It's actually something of a liability in dungeons, since enemies often group spawn and Estoma Swording an enemy doesn't reset the map unlike getting into battle , and no weapon has a fast enough recovery time to kill em all.

I wish I kept an Estoma sword flunky... those last parts where random lowbie enemies were wanting to fight -_-

Everything else I kept though.

Trojita

When I first booted up the game after it came out I thought the title screen for SMT4 on the 3DS home screen was a sleeping pod or something. I didn't realize until actually looking at it again closely recently that it was the gauntlet lol.

coopolon

When I first booted up the game after it came out I thought the title screen for SMT4 on the 3DS home screen was a sleeping pod or something. I didn't realize until actually looking at it again closely recently that it was the gauntlet lol.

I thought it was a coffin. Now I have to pull the game out again to see.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Buying this game on Friday.

All this talk of alignments and such...anything to concern over if I just play and make decisions based on personal preference? Is there a true ending or something if you stay specific to neutral?

Watashiwa

All this talk of alignments and such...anything to concern over if I just play and make decisions based on personal preference? Is there a true ending or something if you stay specific to neutral?

Neutral ending is longer, perhaps artificially so. All three main endings have exclusive content, so follow your heart and do the other paths later.

brinstar

It's more fun to make choices based on your own personal preference the first time, IMO. It has NG+ so you can always go for the other paths later on. And each path is essentially a segment of the overall story so you'll probably want to play them to get the big picture.

-Horizon-

Just completed the
Isis find Osiris' sarcophagus and run for your life
challenge quest, that was kind of ridiculous yo.
I even overshot where I was supposed to go with the enemy right behind me so I said screw it and left Naraku for a bit lol.

Pirabear

Banned
Finally! I had to wait for NG+ to fuse the best being ever.

A very powerful one on top of that:

Now I'm ready for the ultimate bosses. I hope they won't disappoint.

Great taste. I just fused a Vishnu with most of those same skills except Null Nerve and Debilitate instead of Drain Physical and Victory Cry.

randomkid

Agggh, you guys, they're forcing me to choose already and I just wanna stay noncommittal neutral like usual. Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times but Walter's waiting by the barracks and Jonathan is waiting by Naraku and I just wanna get Isabeau to stop being morose by the obelisk, is there no way to stay neutral for now?

Ridley327

Neutral route late game spoilers:
Is the second Red Knight encounter one of the required quests to fill the chalice? I want to do it anyway just so I can unlock Baal and Beelzebub, but it's probably going to be a while before I feel confident enough to try it again, since Beelz is a spammy bitch.

Agggh, you guys, they're forcing me to choose already and I just wanna stay noncommittal neutral like usual. Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times but Walter's waiting by the barracks and Jonathan is waiting by Naraku and I just wanna get Isabeau to stop being morose by the obelisk, is there no way to stay neutral for now?

That's not the route lock.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Neutral route late game spoilers:
Is the second Red Knight encounter one of the required quests to fill the chalice? I want to do it anyway just so I can unlock Baal and Beelzebub, but it's probably going to be a while before I feel confident enough to try it again, since Beelz is a spammy bitch.

Yeap, it's required.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Okay, so I just gotta bite the bullet and pick one for now?

Just pick one you feel gonna counter your shifting alignment right now, if you aim for neutral. If you feel like you are shifting to law, just go with Walter. Likewise if you feel like you are shifting to chaos, go with Jonathan.

A friendly advice though: Neutral path really seems like the real "end-end game", meaning that I really think it should be best be pursued after you finish either Law or Chaos--preferably both. It is, in my opinion, the ultimate ending, since--you collect the most demons, and the strongest equipment is also available only on Neutral--it feels like the game "concluded" decisively at Neutral.

But that's just my opinion.

Figured as much.
He's really not that bad until the Megidoloan spam, and at that point, you just have to hope and pray that the MC survives it. I definitely need to start looking into making a party with strong buffs, as well as continuing with Debilitate.

Protip: Bring someone with doping, it *helps* massively.

Also don't play with buffs/debuffs too much. He tends to spam Megidoloan more often if you do that, at least in my observations.

Ridley327

Protip: Bring someone with doping, it *helps* massively.

Also don't play with buffs/debuffs too much. He tends to spam Megidoloan more often if you do that, at least in my observations.

I haven't looked into Doping at all, so I think I will now.

And yeah, I had a hunch that the spam might have been debuff related. I know that the Fiends don't like it at all when you debuff them past a certain point, so I'm sure that there's a similar thing in place there.

Watashiwa

Figured as much.
He's really not that bad until the Megidoloan spam, and at that point, you just have to hope and pray that the MC survives it. I definitely need to start looking into making a party with strong buffs, as well as continuing with Debilitate.

What? No, only the first fight with him is required. The second is optional (but actually pretty easy if your demons buff/debuff with Luster Candy and Debilitate).

SteeloDMZ

Banned
.....um

Mara appearance in SMTIV....like really? They had fun

Jm5NhNF.jpg

Zee-Row

Banned
Not really part of the main story, no. It's a sidequest, technically. But I am positive 100% those who play this game will get to see it :)

I know we've had the rating system forever now , but it still shocks me to see that type of stuff on Nintendo systems , especially here in North America.

PK Gaming

The way the actor delivers that line is flawless too.

"Here's Mara, making his long-awaited appearance. Even you won't be able to beat off this magnificent schlong. Hehe...get it? Beat off?"

"He'll show no mercy 'til you go down! You're gonna be totally impotent before his power!"

<3 Keith

duckroll

So um how do I get the super sentai demons like Koba Saguro?

spoiler tag if necessary

You can only fuse them at the end of the game after the alignment lock.
Return to the Roppongi Hills building, and your samurai friend who was previously a hostage will give you shit he found while digging around the place. These are all items which will unlock the fusion of the various National Defense Demons if you go to where their stone remains are in the game.

You can only fuse them at the end of the game after the alignment lock.
Return to the Roppongi Hills building, and your samurai friend who was previously a hostage will give you shit he found while digging around the place. These are all items which will unlock the fusion of the various National Defense Demons if you go to where their stone remains are in the game.

hmmm thank you!

Soulhouf

Great taste. I just fused a Vishnu with most of those same skills except Null Nerve and Debilitate instead of Drain Physical and Victory Cry.

Thanks!
I will probably fuse him again with Null Nerve instead of Drain Physical but isn't Debilitate redundant with Antichthon?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thanks!
I will probably fuse him again with Null Nerve instead of Drain Physical but isn't Debilitate redundant with Antichthon?

Yep.

Don't stack Debilitate/Antichthon in the same demon. Also Victory Cry is useless.

Also null/reflect/drain skills may not be beneficial if you try to tackle the game's toughest fights: the fiends. Their skill sets are programmed as such that they will punish you really severely if you carry all nulls/reflect/drain demons when you fight them.

Soulhouf

Yep.

Don't stack Debilitate/Antichthon in the same demon. Also Victory Cry is useless.

Also null/reflect/drain skills may not be beneficial if you try to tackle the game's toughest fights: the fiends. Their skill sets are programmed as such that they will punish you really severely if you carry all nulls/reflect/drain demons when you fight them.

Victory Cry made the typical successive fights a cake walk (Ueno Tournament say hi). Also I like going around and spamming Antichthon in NG+ against grunts without worrying about MP.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Victory Cry made the typical successive fights a cake walk (Ueno Tournament say hi). Also I like going around and spamming Antichthon in NG+ against grunts without worrying about MP.

Well, I wouldn't craft a demon with a precious skill slot relegated to Victory Cry only for one time only. It's not like the tournament is difficult when you have null/drain/repel demons.

Plus Energy Drain is much more preferable than Victory Cry, IMO. Energy Drain, especially, is very valuable in battles of attrition (like the DLC fight, for example). Not to mention the refilling MP app.

FaceDa

Banned
Yep.

You usually just need 1 slot to be neutral. So you can have like, 3 guys that repel and it *should* be alright. It's still really really useful to have 3 guys repel the damage back in the Fiend's face if they use an attack-all skill, plus it gives all 3 a chance to smirk. Also wastes the fiend's turn entirely if even 1 party member drains/repels.

Meanwhile I've been trying to get Matador to spawn for hours. After he spawns I think I'm not doing any more of these

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You usually just need 1 slot to be neutral. So you can have like, 3 guys that repel and it *should* be alright. It's still really really useful to have 3 guys repel the damage back in the Fiend's face if they use an attack-all skill, plus it gives all 3 a chance to smirk. Also wastes the fiend's turn entirely if even 1 party member drains/repels.

Meanwhile I've been trying to get Matador to spawn for hours. After he spawns I think I'm not doing any more of these

Hmm, yeah, you need to carry at least one demon in your party not draining/reflecting/nulling their attacks.

If not: spam Megidolaon activate!

Also, fiend spawning is fucked up and boring. I don't know the reason why they thought doing stuff like opening/reopening doors for a 1/256 chance of spawn is a fun thing to do. I wish they did it like in Nocturne :\

Hmm, yeah, you need to carry at least one demon in your party not draining/reflecting/nulling their attacks.

If not: spam Megidolaon activate!

Also, fiend spawning is fucked up and boring. I don't know the reason why they thought doing stuff like opening/reopening doors for a 1/256 chance of spawn is a fun thing to do. I wish they did it like in Nocturne :\

It's a reference SMT2 , IIRC, where the fiends had a 1/256 chance of being encountered in certain areas, and there was absolutely no mention of this made anywhere not even official guides. In the age before the internet. So this is actually them being less time wasting for no reason. It's just that what it references was such a stupid idea that even the toned down version is still dumb. Some JRPG tropes from the 80s/early 90s need to die a permanent death, this is one of them (Permanent Missables are another one).

Soulhouf

It's a reference SMT2 , IIRC, where the fiends had a 1/256 chance of being encountered in certain areas, and there was absolutely no mention of this made anywhere not even official guides. In the age before the internet. So this is actually them being less time wasting for no reason. It's just that what it references was such a stupid idea that even the toned down version is still dumb. Some JRPG tropes from the 80s/early 90s need to die a permanent death, this is one of them (Permanent Missables are another one).

I really don't understand why people are complaining over this. There are so many demons in SMTIV and those are meant to be rare. They are optional so you don't have to get them.
As for me I'm playing the game as if they didn't exist. If I encounter one, it's my lucky day and I would be very happy, if not, I'm fine.

You people are doing it wrong.

Trojita

Yep.

Haha what? That's crazy.

Top Bottom