• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Dude, I wasn't expecting to run into another one this quick. This one, unlike the last one, was not a challange at all, he was a hilarious push over, just go into this fight with no money, dude uses WASTREL BEAM FIVE TIMES on its first turn.
o5w7.jpg
You get 300,000 Macca and 3 Gold Death Masks once you defeat it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Dude, I wasn't expecting to run into another one this quick. This one, unlike the last one, was not a challange at all, he was a hilarious push over, just go into this fight with no money, dude uses WASTREL BEAM FIVE TIMES on its first turn.

You get 300,000 Macca and 3 Gold Death Masks once you defeat it.

I hate Lilith's redesign. >_>

I don't think Fusion Lite skill inheritance is based on luck. I think I read somewhere that theres a priority for which skills will be passed on. Something like half-half from each demon and there are certain skills depending on what each demons have, and they will also be passed on depending on type, level etc. Haven't tested this though since it sounds like a lot of work.

The theory I heard was it was based on Skill Rank (which is a hidden stat that basically exists for skill mutation purposes) and that it took the highest ones.

Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei will increase the franchise's fan bases even further!

The $30 promotion was the perfect way to introduce new and veteran players to each of the franchises. I had been a fan of Fire Emblem since PoR/RD but I had never known that SMT existed until that Nintendo Direct introducing the crossover. Since then, I beat Soul Hackers and SMT 4 and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for new details on the project!

In other words, hell yeah FExSMT will expand the fanbases!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't think Fusion Lite skill inheritance is based on luck. I think I read somewhere that theres a priority for which skills will be passed on. Something like half-half from each demon and there are certain skills depending on what each demons have, and they will also be passed on depending on type, level etc. Haven't tested this though since it sounds like a lot of work.

Well, considering the amount of work and how complicated it is, might as well calling it "luck" for the average players, hahaha.

I have been having great luck on my hunt.

Matador's recipe uses 4 low leveled crap demons, so that is why he has crap skills. I will work at making awesome versions of these two at some other time. 3 fiends in like 5 hours? Not that bad. Hunt is done for now, the rest will come at another date, as I am busy all tomorrow and the next day! I don't know why, but two of those images do not want to be rotated, they just don't work.

Dudes, I need help on a minor boss battle. Late game neutral route:
I'm trying to beat Shiva in Lucifers Palace. I can't finding urs a weakness other than a reflect physical. Anyone have tips?

Soulhouf

Dudes, I need help on a minor boss battle. Late game neutral route:
I'm trying to beat Shiva in Lucifers Palace. I can't finding urs a weakness other than a reflect physical. Anyone have tips?

Shiva doesn't have any weaknesses.
Buff/debuff and attack with gun/ice/force (the only ones he doesn't resit/null/reflect) or almighty.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
So, I feel silly for asking this, but: can anyone give me good directions to Camp Ichigaya?

I know it's somewhere in Shinjuku, but weirdly I haven't stumbled upon it (or maybe I did and forgot). I don't want to google for it or go on gamefaqs, because I always seem to see more than I want to at the point I'm at in the game.

Also, what's the best farming spot, if there is any? In looking for Ichigaya, I took a detour back into Reverse Hills, and thought - oh yeah, this is how many exp. points I should be getting.

I really hope someone does a post mortem thread on this game. It's been digital crack for me, but I'd like to see a discussion focused solely on what was done right/wrong with the game.

spiritfox

So, I feel silly for asking this, but: can anyone give me good directions to Camp Ichigaya?

I know it's somewhere in Shinjuku, but weirdly I haven't stumbled upon it (or maybe I did and forgot). I don't want to google for it or go on gamefaqs, because I always seem to see more than I want to at the point I'm at in the game.

Also, what's the best farming spot, if there is any? In looking for Ichigaya, I took a detour back into Reverse Hills, and thought - oh yeah, this is how many exp. points I should be getting.

I really hope someone does a post mortem thread on this game. It's been digital crack for me, but I'd like to see a discussion focused solely on what was done right/wrong with the game.

North of Shibuya.

Go through the tunnel guarded by the Ashura-kai then look for the 2 green people icons.

Soriku

Exit Shibuya and turn slightly around. There'll be two areas close together, one is called Sendagaya which is a tunnel that'll lead you to Ichigaya.

If you're asking for some grinding spot close to where you're at, I guess you should just go to Ichigaya and fight the enemies there. Not that you ever need to grind in this game, unless you really want to get to a certain level to fuse a certain demon.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
North of Shibuya.

Go through the tunnel guarded by the Ashura-kai then look for the 2 green people icons.

Thanks. I actually saw the 'spoiler' on the map earlier, and knew it was somthing different, but I still couldn't figure out how to get to it. Once more into the breach!

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
Exit Shibuya and turn slightly around. There'll be two areas close together, one is called Sendagaya which is a tunnel that'll lead you to Ichigaya.

If you're asking for some grinding spot close to where you're at, I guess you should just go to Ichigaya and fight the enemies there. Not that you ever need to grind in this game, unless you really want to get to a certain level to fuse a certain demon.

Well, it wasn't so much about wanting to grind; I just felt like I wasn't getting near enough experience points - that I had exhausted the areas I had previously visited, and needed stronger enemies, or enemies that dropped more exp. for my level in the game. Thanks!

twelver

Late story question:

After beating Kenji I picked the crap return the world to nothing ending. So i redid the battle and did not do that. Now the next option was to preserve or not. I picked to preserve. Has this decided my path or am I still able to influence it?? I'm in the white forest, will I get to return to tokyo at some point??

spiritfox

Late story question:

After beating Kenji I picked the crap return the world to nothing ending. So i redid the battle and did not do that. Now the next option was to preserve or not. I picked to preserve. Has this decided my path or am I still able to influence it?? I'm in the white forest, will I get to return to tokyo at some point??

That was the route lock option. You will return after that sequence.

spiritfox

So I assume I'm getting the good ending?

There's no good ending.

There are 4 endings in total. Other than the bad end, the other 3 are alignment based. It's affected by the choices you made throughout the game, and you either go into Law, Chaos, or Neutral based on your alignment points at the route lock. In Law you meet Jonathan, Chaos Walter, and Neutral Steven.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The $30 promotion was the perfect way to introduce new and veteran players to each of the franchises. I had been a fan of Fire Emblem since PoR/RD but I had never known that SMT existed until that Nintendo Direct introducing the crossover. Since then, I beat Soul Hackers and SMT 4 and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for new details on the project!

In other words, hell yeah FExSMT will expand the fanbases!

That's great to hear. You should think about playing Devil Survivor 2 next. I love that game.

-Horizon-

Starting the quest to go to
Camp Ichigaya and the reactor

Can someone tell me if I am close to the point where I should start doing the rest of my challenge quests?

25 hours into SMTIV, first post in this thread. I am really loving this game. The mythology of the world fascinates me and I actually enjoy the company of my party, thanks to well-written dialogue and quality voice acting. I heard negative things about the story but so far I would have to disagree with them. Also, the soundtrack is amazing; it covers a vast array of different vibes and nails them all perfectly.

I will say that one thing disappoints me now that I've made it to Tokyo; the world map. It's a pain to navigate because of all the dead-ends, enemies being virtually impossible to bypass (unless you wait them out) and the fact that everything looks bland and samey so I get disoriented easily, not knowing where to go next. Not to mention moving a cursor around is not the most immersive way to explore...

But yeah, other than that great stuff. I consider this my first SMT game, although I did play and enjoy Strange Journey for awhile before ultimately giving up on it. I felt like certain things were missing to sustain my interest, and SMTIV pretty much filled all of these holes.

GeekyDad

...The mythology of the world fascinates me and I actually enjoy the company of my party, thanks to well-written dialogue and quality voice acting. I heard negative things about the story but so far I would have to disagree with them. ...

Yeah, that's probably the one element that makes it really difficult for me to shelve the game. I'm finishing up my 5th playthrough and said I was gonna take a break a playthrough ago, but...I haven't yet. And really, the mythologies are part of what make the story here so compelling. The story (and series as a whole, really) allows for all these human ideas that have likely been with us since we first stood upright to be contemplated in contemporary terms.

Meier

Damn this game is brutally hard! :O I am getting my ass handed to me left and right..

That Demon Horde thing guarding the relic/artifact that Hope wants just keeps crushing me. Ugh. :(

Went back to post-game, determined to get at least one of the fiends to spawn before triggering the end again and moving on. Chemtrail finally appeared. Took several retries and some careful new or redone fusions, but managed to get the mix I wanted out of demons in stock. A nicely challenging battle that would punish any mistakes harshly.

Ridley327

Oh neat, Mara wound up being the second-to-last terminal guardian for me. The jokes were tremendous.

Hehehehehehe...

So, given that (late game neutral route spoilers) that he was second-to-last,
I'm guessing that there's one last terminal in Camp Ichigaya, once I'm done kicking Jonathon's ass all over Mikado?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm honestly surprised by the amount of people that have said they haven't played a SMT game before or some people that say they hadn't heard about it before. The people I've seen this most from is usually people that play Nintendo systems only generally.

alice

42 hours in and I just made it to alignment lock. I actually had to reload and choose differently because I was law, but I ended up neutral. Man, I am loving this game - it's definitely making me want to go back and play Nocturne!

I'm also loving playing RPGs on my 3ds... I took it on vacation with me last week and got lots of play time in the car. So nice to not have to be tied to the television!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oh neat, Mara wound up being the second-to-last terminal guardian for me. The jokes were tremendous.

Hehehehehehe...

So, given that (late game neutral route spoilers) that he was second-to-last,
I'm guessing that there's one last terminal in Camp Ichigaya, once I'm done kicking Jonathon's ass all over Mikado?

Yeaps. On the final dungeon of the Neutral path.

Anyways, anyone playing Dragon's Crown in here? Setting up Isabeau's voice as the narrator: unbelieavable eargasm all day long. Her voice is sex for my ears, so soothing.

So trying to do Osiris's Resurrection , before I go to Camp Ichigaya. Is this possible ? I can't work out how to get to the part that's over the river in Ginza. Or does this have to wait until I come back ?

Watashiwa

So trying to do Osiris's Resurrection , before I go to Camp Ichigaya. Is this possible ? I can't work out how to get to the part that's over the river in Ginza. Or does this have to wait until I come back ?

I did it before leaving. I think the way you get to the one in Ginza is to follow the path where the Ghoul-infested hospital is and head East after you reach the top of that area. There are smaller pathways that lead to the coffin.

I did it before leaving. I think the way you get to the one in Ginza is to follow the path where the Ghoul-infested hospital is and head East after you reach the top of that area. There are smaller pathways that lead to the coffin.

Yep. Thanks. It was so tiny I didn't see it before.

duckroll

Was shopping in Kinokuniya after watching Elysium today, and I finally picked up the SMT4 artbook! It's fucking sweet. Tons of commentary from Eiji Ishida (the art director) too. Lots of great stuff. I've been reading some of it on the way home, and surprisingly he mentions Kaneko more than once when talking about how certain original concept art pieces were different from the final game because he saw them and gave comments which steered the team in a different direction. It seems pretty clear that Kaneko is more involved with SMT4 than the credits lead us to believe.

brinstar

I'm honestly surprised by the amount of people that have said they haven't played a SMT game before or some people that say they hadn't heard about it before. The people I've seen this most from is usually people that play Nintendo systems only generally.

Well that would make sense then, cause SMTI and II didn't come out here and a large amount of the other megaten stuff was on Sony platforms. I didn't have a PS2 during its heydey, my first megaten experience was Devil Survivor Overclocked which got me to go check out other games in the series.

Soulhouf

Was shopping in Kinokuniya after watching Elysium today, and I finally picked up the SMT4 artbook! It's fucking sweet. Tons of commentary from Eiji Ishida (the art director) too. Lots of great stuff. I've been reading some of it on the way home, and surprisingly he mentions Kaneko more than once when talking about how certain original concept art pieces were different from the final game because he saw them and gave comments which steered the team in a different direction. It seems pretty clear that Kaneko is more involved with SMT4 than the credits lead us to believe.

He better got a good excuse for not making new designs for the game è_é

Darvan

I have a question is it worth while playing this in 3D? I keep trying to tell myself am missing out not playing it in 3D mode.

Caladrius

Which stat controls how effective an Almighty attack is?

edit: Nevermind, seems like good ol' magic.

Desperate hit (Exclusive to
Demonee-ho
is physical, but otherwise yes.

I have a question is it worth while playing this in 3D? I keep trying to tell myself am missing out not playing it in 3D mode.

I've got bad news for you friend.
You aren't missing anything but attack FX.

Soulhouf

I bought the story DLCs and I'm at the point where Ancient of Days is kicking my ass in Hard mode.
Only Vishnu can stand before him. I need to fuse other powerful demons if I want to beat that thing. He's brutal.

duckroll

Nah you're not missing much. It's mostly distracting and annoying. It's much clearer in 2D. The 3D effect in Atlus games generally blow anyway.

Caladrius

I bought the story DLCs and I'm at the point where Ancient of Days is kicking my ass in Hard mode.
Only Vishnu can stand before him. I need to fuse other powerful demons if I want to beat that thing. He's brutal.

You're going to need
Raphael
's Stigmata strike (It's immune to lamentation) on one of your team members or be able to do 18K damage in a single turn if you want it dead. (If you're completely insane like I am and have 372 Magic it's not impossible) The boss also uses only Ice, Fire and ailment elements, if that helps you.

duckroll

You're going to need
Raphael
's Stigmata strike (It's immune to lamentation) on one of your team members or be able to do 18K damage in a single turn if you want it dead. (If you're completely insane like I am and have 372 Magic it's not impossible) The boss also uses only Ice, Fire and ailment elements, if that helps you.

Not true. I haven't beaten the boss yet, but in my 4-5 losses yesterday, I figured something out about the Ancient of Days.
As long as you don't use its electric weakness against it, it will never heal. So I think the fight can be won without using stigmata if you buff up your party and debuff him first, and use general Almighty damage or physical attacks, you can definitely wear him down quickly without him healing. My problem in the fight is generally the MC getting wiped if he gets stigmata inflicted instead. Gotta figure that part out.

Caladrius

Not true. I haven't beaten the boss yet, but in my 4-5 losses yesterday, I figured something out about the Ancient of Days.
As long as you don't use its electric weakness against it, it will never heal. So I think the fight can be won without using stigmata if you buff up your party and debuff him first, and use general Almighty damage or physical attacks, you can definitely wear him down quickly without him healing. My problem in the fight is generally the MC getting wiped if he gets stigmata inflicted instead. Gotta figure that part out.

That's.... completely unintuitive.
I brute forced it with a mind-charged Electric assault since I wasn't confident I would win a battle of attrition. I had high enough agility to dodge most of its attacks but my demons were getting beaten down badly. And the thought of them dying when I needed a Samerecarm was displeasing.

Gattuso

I finally beat the game for the first time (neutral). It felt like I was never going to beat the game at the pace I was going. It took me a pretty long time trying to complete/find all the required challenge quests to get to #1. My final team probably wasn't all that great but they got the job done.
I was surprised Lucifer was way easier to beat than Merkabah. i thought i was going to have a just as hard of a time keeping my demons alive. I also tried to beat beelzebub but the megidolaon spam was just too much for me and i gave up after awhile.

Top Bottom