• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Grief.exe

Ok guys, what am I in for?

Will I understand the plot if I haven't played any of the other games?

7RErSIC.png

duckroll

Something interesting from the SMT4 artbook:

Yoshihiro Nishimura's demon designs were not done traditionally, but instead he created actual practical models for each design which the developers could use as a basis for the in-game art. Check out his models for Omoikane, Pluto, and Yaso Magatsuhi:

OEiq4NW.jpg
fMmofL5.jpg
dWTFfht.jpg

Ok guys, what am I in for?

Will I understand the plot if I haven't played any of the other games?

It's completely stand-alone. There's some thematic references to earlier games, but it's not a sequel to anything.

Something interesting from the SMT4 artbook:

Yoshihiro Nishimura's demon designs were not done traditionally, but instead he created actual practical models for each design which the developers could use as a basis for the in-game art. Check out his models for Omoikane, Pluto, and Yaso Magatsuhi:

Crazy stuff. I really like physical models like this. Reminds me of how much I enjoy quality practical effects in older movies as compared to the CG effects you get nowadays.

GeekyDad

Check out his models for Omoikane, Pluto, and Yaso Magatsuhi:

For some reason Yaso Magatsuhi seemed like the most detailed demon in the game. Plus, I love how it kept repeating its name. Sounded like Tamagotchi. The actual design reminds me of this little statue we kept in our yard my brother called Schezinski.

/random thoughts

For some reason Yaso Magatsuhi seemed like the most detailed demon in the game. Plus, I love how it kept repeating its name. Sounded like Tamagotchi. The actual design reminds me of this little statue we kept in our yard my brother called Schezinski.

/random thoughts
In-game his sprite has some 3D to it while I can't recall any other sprite getting the same treatment so far. (I just met him)

Yuterald

Man, I put this game down for a bit, but got back into it recently the other night and I'm hooked again. I just passed some crazy storyline shit. So much stuff went down, I love it. I'm 35 hours in, just about to hit LV60. I have a feeling I've locked myself into Law route too. Got to hear the Law theme already as well, so good!

Man, I put this game down for a bit, but got back into it recently the other night and I'm hooked again. I just passed some crazy storyline shit. So much stuff went down, I love it. I'm 35 hours in, just about to hit LV60. I have a feeling I've locked myself into Law route too. Got to hear the Law theme already as well, so good!

Wow, I'm also 35 hours in but only level 36.

Yuterald

Wow, I'm also 35 hours in but only level 36.

Whoa, really? Am I over leveled or what, hah? I've been DECIMATING shit for the past 15 hours it feels like. I've either got a really good party, an MC with great skills, or I'm still in that middle part of the game that's apparently pretty easy. =D

Soulhouf

You're going to need
Raphael
's Stigmata strike (It's immune to lamentation) on one of your team members or be able to do 18K damage in a single turn if you want it dead. (If you're completely insane like I am and have 372 Magic it's not impossible) The boss also uses only Ice, Fire and ailment elements, if that helps you.

I would never fuse such an abomination... Well if that's Atlus' strategy aka if you wish to beat the boss, you need to use another (horribly designed) who is only available via DLC, no thanks.

I have 21 Magic. My MC relies on buff, healing and physical damage.

Can I bring a demon who blocks Ice and fire or will he activate "almighty spam" mode?

Not true. I haven't beaten the boss yet, but in my 4-5 losses yesterday, I figured something out about the Ancient of Days.
As long as you don't use its electric weakness against it, it will never heal. So I think the fight can be won without using stigmata if you buff up your party and debuff him first, and use general Almighty damage or physical attacks, you can definitely wear him down quickly without him healing. My problem in the fight is generally the MC getting wiped if he gets stigmata inflicted instead. Gotta figure that part out.

Haha I didn't know he had a weakness. At this point all my demons use almost only Almighty attacks.
The fight goes well until the 2nd phase when he starts removing buff/debuff and using that almighty attack after charging it to deal ~1300 damage and wipe out everyone in my party.

I will try something on a demon and if it works I will apply it to the others to see how the boss will react to it.

Ok so I just started this game, still close to the beginning. I'm at the part where
you're going to find Navarre and there's a fucking poison pit.
. Is there any way to avoid it....or are you just fucked?

I would never fuse such an abomination... Well if that's Atlus' strategy aka if you wish to beat the boss, you need to use another (horribly designed) who is only available via DLC, no thanks.

I have 21 Magic. My MC relies on buff, healing and physical damage.

Can I bring a demon who blocks Ice and fire or will he activate "almighty spam" mode?

Haha I didn't know he had a weakness. At this point all my demons use almost only Almighty attacks.
The fight goes well until the 2nd phase when he starts removing buff/debuff and using that almighty attack after charging it to deal ~1300 damage and wipe out everyone in my party.

I will try something on a demon and if it works I will apply it to the others to see how the boss will react to it.

A fair bit of detail about Ancient of Days AI.
It only full heals if you hit its weakness, so you can just attrition it to death, as long as you don't hit its weakness. You'll probably a need high luck team though to shake of Stigmata . And yeah it can Almighty spam (using Stigmata Beam) but its the same rules as the fiends, someone can no sell but not everyone. You can debuff/buff as much as you like in the early part of the fight but if it you're at +3 / its at -3 it will use Silent Prayer in the last part (you can still safely +2/-2 at that point).

Ok so I just started this game, still close to the beginning. I'm at the part where
you're going to find Navarre and there's a fucking poison pit.
. Is there any way to avoid it....or are you just fucked?

Gotta suck it up the first time. [spoiler[You can avoid it afterwoods but there's a wormwood block that you need to destroy from the other side.

Best thing to do is unsummon your demons and avoid combat. There's a chest with a dispoison in it in the passaage.[/spoiler]

duckroll

A fair bit of detail about Ancient of Days AI.
It only full heals if you hit its weakness, so you can just attrition it to death, as long as you don't hit its weakness. You'll probably a need high luck team though to shake of Stigmata . And yeah it can Almighty spam (using Stigmata Beam) but its the same rules as the fiends, someone can no sell but not everyone. You can debuff/buff as much as you like in the early part of the fight but if it you're at +3 / its at -3 it will use Silent Prayer in the last part (you can still safely +2/-2 at that point).

I'm not sure if the last part is accurate.
I've had it use Silent Prayer in the second part of the fight even though I left it at +2/-2. Unless the first Silent Prayer is automatic?

Xenoflare

I really need help you guys.

I downloaded clipped wings 1&2 DLC. But I only see 3 out of the 4 archangels in my special fusion list. Raphael is missing. What can be the cause of this? I swear I've seen the notification saying I can fuse him

So Fiend hunting.... is this spoilers? Well, just in case:

Black Rider is at the exact same spot on the floor as Matador, just in the other shelter, right? Just checking before wasting some time, haha.

duckroll

I really need help you guys.

I downloaded clipped wings 1&2 DLC. But I only see 3 out of the 4 archangels in my special fusion list. Raphael is missing. What can be the cause of this? I swear I've seen the notification saying I can fuse him

Demons will only appear on the special fusion list if you have at least one of the demons required to fuse it. It doesn't matter if you have unlocked the fusion.

I'm not sure if the last part is accurate.
I've had it use Silent Prayer in the second part of the fight even though I left it at +2/-2. Unless the first Silent Prayer is automatic?

May also be that it's got a chance of using it normally but always does it at max.

duckroll

In case anyone is reaaaaaaally wondering about the inspirations behind the designs for Jonathan and Walter, the artbook also confirms that Jonathan's amazing hair is a result of the director showing Doi a photo of Brian May from Queen and suggesting he use a similar hairstyle. Doi further confirms that Walter being the chaos hero needed a "punk rock" look, so his look was inspired by Sex Pistols members ‎John Lydon and Sid Vicious.

Oh, and the Terminal Room design in SMT4 is a homage to Cerebro in X-Men, just like how the Terminal Rooms in the older SMT games were based on the pod design in The Fly. Atlus loves their scifi references. :D

Althane

So I finally had time (after a month or so?) to get back to the game. Fused a gourd-snake guy (hey, I don't have it around right now. Those names are hard to remember) with Zanma, and then beat
Medusa
(Observation Platform boss) after a few tries.

Still annoys me how I had the boss down to around one more turn's worth of HP, and then my team blew up in my face. Battles are constantly on a knife's edge.

Anyways, exploring Tokyo and Ueno, having fun. Going for a gun build, so I got a bazooka. Fun but... dangerous with things that block gun damage.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Anybody knows the name of the track that plays just at the beginning of the game and during that corridor where you are presented with many choices?

olimpia84

What are the requirements for the "Dance of the Dead" challenge quest. It's supposed to be available early in the game but it hasn't showed up in my quest list. Right now I'm at
Ueno Underground/Terminal
and want to get rid some of the early challenge quests that I didn't complete such as the missing child in the forest and the lake Mikado beast.

Soulhouf

I got my revenge on Ancient of Days. All what I needed is a strong demon who is able to keep up with me, and that was my loyal Vishnu after I changed his skill set.

IMG_1570.jpg

Until now I neglected Draconic Reaction but it turned out being a top tier skill. The boss was missing half of his attacks on Vishnu thanks to that skill.

IMG_1572.jpg

It's a shame that I had to do the fight with only one demon but at least it worked.

Anyway, I'm glad for being able to do the challenge without using any of the DLC demons/skills/whatever. It was a cool fight with a beautiful music (the same as the one played during the boss
Merkabah
fight).

BTW thank you duckroll and Elaugaufein for the tips.

So I just defeated Minotaur and took up a side quest, I was feeling pretty good but damn!! I am stuck again, can't beat David, I wasn't expecting it to be this tough, any tips for me GAF?? I'm level 15 btw.

This game is awesome. Already in Tokyo.

In the Ueno pond just beat
Pellaidh. Medusa was a tough cookie even with spamming Sukunda and Sukukaja she hit me like a truck.

Question: Is the Negotiate app an upgrade to the Scout? I am on the fence in buying this one since I am prioritizing opening skill and stock slots.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This game is awesome. Already in Tokyo.

In the Ueno pond just beat
Pellaidh. Medusa was a tough cookie even with spamming Sukunda and Sukukaja she hit me like a truck.

Question: Is the Negotiate app an upgrade to the Scout? I am on the fence in buying this one since I am prioritizing opening skill and stock slots.

Nah, negotiate (negotiate a cease-fire) is a different app.

End game spoilers:
credits are rolling. Did the game just end? The girl said thanks and that's it?

Is there more? Finishes neutral route btw.

-Horizon-

Agh I'm starting to hate traveling the map. I remember I somehow made it to the bottom southeast corner but now I have no clue how I got there in the first place now that I want to go back and explore more.

NeededSleep

Just finished my first play through at 83 hours. Ended up with an ending i didn't want so im gonna try again!
Ended up with the pro-god/good ending. Unfortunately when i got to the point where it tallies all your points for the decision it automatically placed me in good each time. I was really hoping for a neutral ending.

I gotta say. This game was AMAZING, I've never played a main SMT title before, just its offshoot games like persona and such. What a great game!

NeonZ

End game spoilers:

Neutral has the longest end game section, but no epilogue or anything like that. The game just ends. Law and Chaos have shorter final sections, but they have more fitting final scenes (at least, structurally, their actual content is another matter). Law even has an epilogue narration

Neutral has the longest end game section, but no epilogue or anything like that. The game just ends. Law and Chaos have shorter final sections, but they have more fitting final scenes (at least, structurally, their actual content is another matter). Law even has an epilogue narration

I read in the spoiler thread that one of the endings has you able to travel the map and do side quests.

ranmafan

I finally finished my first play through as well yesterday. Got stuck a little bit and took a break for a few weeks, but finally pushed through and finished with the law ending. Would've like to have gotten the neutral one, but Ill try for that next time.

Simply put, best game I've played all year easily. One of the most fun experiences I've had gaming wise in a very long time. Challenging game, great world, fantastic gameplay. Can't wait to play through it again.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Seems like my neighborhood has good taste. I've gotten 8 SMTIV street passes in the past couple days.

I had a level 25 Parvati that fused with some random demon and came back as a level 2 Napaea lol. At least she brought a magical mirror.

End game spoilers:

no and thats the most in depth ending out of the bunch. Mainline SMT games (SMT 1/2/Nocturne/SJ/IV) are known for their sort of brief endings.

NeonZ

I read in the spoiler thread that one of the endings has you able to travel the map and do side quests.

That was the neutral ending. Just don't trigger the final event and you can still go around doing anything that isn't locked out even after beating Lucifer. In the Chaos ending, you can still go around Mikado, before triggering the final scene, and in law you're completely locked after the final boss is defeated and the ending starts right afterwards.

Top Bottom