• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Hylian7

So I am 90% sure I'm locked into neutral, which is what I wanted.

After King Kenji, I defeated the four White and they each said "Our fifth son who chose neutrality..." After all that I was in Kasumigaseki and Isabeau was there. Now I have to gather hope by getting to #1 on the board.

Am I in fact locked into neutral now?

Busaiku

So I am 90% sure I'm locked into neutral, which is what I wanted.

After King Kenji, I defeated the four White and they each said "Our fifth son who chose neutrality..." After all that I was in Kasumigaseki and Isabeau was there. Now I have to gather hope by getting to #1 on the board.

Am I in fact locked into neutral now?

Yes.

Where the hell do I go to do the "Mysterious Story of Tennozu" quest? I already reached Tennozu. I hate navigating the overworld :/

Edit: Nevermind. Another case of "that black stuff is actually a road"

duckroll

So does the Clipped Wings and Ancient One of the Sun DLC add anything to the actual game?

They add detail and additional stuff to some subplots in the game, offer pretty cool boss battles, and allow you to fuse the new demon(s) after beating them. No areas, no extra locations, etc.

2o hours in, level 27 or so and I have no idea where stuff is. I just find myself exploring then when I find an item store turning up the volume full blast and just relaxing to that tune.

Excellent music, love almost every aspect of it. But holy shit the Tokyo map is confusing as shit and random encounters are too often. I need repelent lol.

randomkid

Well this sucks, I checked the Japanese alignment guide and I think I might be stuck on Law. I tried to pick the Chaos choice at the last decision point to push me into Neutral and nope, got sent on the Law path anyways. This blows, is there really nothing I can do, no sidequests or anything to get some more Chaos points here?

ElFly

Holy crap it's stupid easy once
I stopped using tetra/makarakarn to repel its attacks.

It only uses megidolaon as a response to this kind of shit.

Soulhouf

It only uses megidolaon as a response to this kind of shit.

Yeah, bosses become a little more intelligent in the later part of the game and side quests.

They add detail and additional stuff to some subplots in the game, offer pretty cool boss battles, and allow you to fuse the new demon(s) after beating them. No areas, no extra locations, etc.

They made me like Mastema, which I would never do normally lol

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
argh, this thread keeps fronting and still no word on EU date??? Atlus pls

The single most annoying thing about the optional end game bosses I have to say, is that initiative is random.

I *can* defeat the Raven of the Underground, but if he goes first then he kills my entire party before I can get them setup to be able to survive his attacks so I can kill him. And I want that sweet sweet XP for them.

Weiss

Banned
Finished the game a few hours ago and got the Neutral ending. Why are the endings in this series always so abrupt?

Also, is it just me,
or is Lucifer much more of a raging dick in this game than usual?

Not as good as I'd hoped, if only because I was hoping for the greatest game ever. Otherwise, the single best game on the 3DS right now.

The single most annoying thing about the optional end game bosses I have to say, is that initiative is random.

I *can* defeat the Raven of the Underground, but if he goes first then he kills my entire party before I can get them setup to be able to survive his attacks so I can kill him. And I want that sweet sweet XP for them.

What is this about optional bosses? How do I get these?

Finished the game a few hours ago and got the Neutral ending. Why are the endings in this series always so abrupt?

Also, is it just me,

Not as good as I'd hoped, if only because I was hoping for the greatest game ever. Otherwise, the single best game on the 3DS right now.

Yeah the ending was abrupt. I really did want some more answers. Great world building on the Atlus's part.

Still not sure how my next play through should go. Start from beginning or from the route lock? I already loaded my save from that point, checked the law answer and the plot diverted.

KLonso

I haven't gone too far in the guide that came with the game, but is it fair to assume that it doesn't cover the entire story through to the end of the game?

NeonZ

What is this about optional bosses? How do I get these?

It's just late game challenge quests. The second red knight challenge quest, the law exclusive
Azazel and Mastema
battles and the chaos exclusive
Demiurge
battle all have enemies harder than the actual final bosses.

There are also the fiends, which are even stronger(and not tied to challenge quests), but those are really annoying to trigger.

ElFly

Guys I am at the last boss (chaos route) and cannot defeat it. Want to go back to
infernal/blasted tokyo
for better armor, but I dunno if it is possible.

Can you go back or not?

e: google says yes

Tripon

Guys I am at the last boss (chaos route) and cannot defeat it. Want to go back to
infernal/blasted tokyo
for better armor, but I dunno if it is possible.

Can you go back or not?

e: google says yes

If you have access to Ichigaya, you can go back.

Watashiwa

Also, is it just me,

It's a result of correcting the series' Chaos bias. When the representatives and agenda of one faction are entirely odious and the highest representative of the other one behaves rationally and reasonably, the second faction looks better almost regardless of its agenda.

Louisa was pretty creepy in her game, though she only had three appearances if you went Chaos.

LostAnkh

Does anyone know where these choices pop up? I'm trying to follow this Neutral route after siding with Walter.
*Chaos -1 (Answer 1: I think)*
*Neutral 0 (No answer)*
Forced -5 (Press Remote)
*Chaos -1 (Answer 1: Some)*
Law +6 (Wait and see)
Chaos -1 (Answer 2: Do not show)
*Forced +1 (Assume)*
*Law +1 (Answer 2: You can think...)*

Awesome.

So I went back to my second save which I reserved from the point of route lock (you know the place) and I tried to select the chaos route. Looks like I can't as it forced me onto neutral. Looks like I can only experience the Law route from here or Neutral again. For Chaos I'll need to restart in NG+.

How are most if you guys playing for the additional edings?

Also should I try the two end game DLC's first?

esoterika

Neo Member
I've caught wind that the Tokyo Map music theme changes in the Neutral route. Is this true? I'm unable to find any video walkthroughs of Neutral to confirm.

hawk2025

Finished the Chaos route.

I felt really, really bad about how everything turned out as soon as Isabeau showed up. Ugh. Should have just stayed Law instead, that was bad :(

So is there any hint at all where to go for quests besides the names? Is there a good online map of areas with labels? The overworld map is the single most useless map I have ever used in any game. I will travel to the area like Shinjuku and it will say something like "eastern" but nowhere on the map can I get there.

It's really bringing down my enjoyment of the game.

Finished the Chaos route.

I felt really, really bad about how everything turned out as soon as Isabeau showed up. Ugh. Should have just stayed Law instead, that was bad :(

Same thing happens on Law except with different demons.

So I'm finishing up my (not NG+) Law Play through now. Done all the challenge quests , apart from the Lord of the Flies , and the Bulk Order one (which I can't find, NG+ only?).

What's the best way to get Macca / XP to prepare for the Fiends / Lord of the Flies ? Other than DLC , I have those but don't want to use them until I've beaten the Fiends.

Also anyone want to give me some comments on my build for Flynn ? Pretty happy with my plan largely but still not totally happy.

Glacial Blast -> Refrigerate (once I get Aeshma)
Plasma Discharge
Killing Wind
Trisangion
Medigoplasma -> Anticthon (maybe Megidoloan instead for Hordes ?)
Concentration
Salvation
Luster Candy / Invitation (Not sure if I want to have the capability to self buff or if I'd rather be able to avoid summon stones).

Soriku

So I'm finishing up my (not NG+) Law Play through now. Done all the challenge quests , apart from the Lord of the Flies , and the Bulk Order one (which I can't find, NG+ only?).

What's the best way to get Macca / XP to prepare for the Fiends / Lord of the Flies ? Other than DLC , I have those but don't want to use them until I've beaten the Fiends.

Also anyone want to give me some comments on my build for Flynn ? Pretty happy with my plan largely but still not totally happy.

Glacial Blast -> Refrigerate (once I get Aeshma)
Plasma Discharge
Killing Wind
Trisangion
Medigoplasma -> Anticthon (maybe Megidoloan instead for Hordes ?)
Concentration
Salvation
Luster Candy / Invitation (Not sure if I want to have the capability to self buff or if I'd rather be able to avoid summon stones).

I thought the EXP in the Tokyo Bay area was pretty good. I guess try there or see if the final dungeon on Law gives you more EXP. For Macca you just need to sell relics so go to the later areas and pick up some high star relics. In the Bay area in the areas where there are terminals there are 5-star relics so be sure to pick those up.

Your skillset seems pretty good to me.

So is there any hint at all where to go for quests besides the names? Is there a good online map of areas with labels? The overworld map is the single most useless map I have ever used in any game. I will travel to the area like Shinjuku and it will say something like "eastern" but nowhere on the map can I get there.

The world map is by a very large margin the worst thing about the game.

That being said, the world map music theme is godly.

If you're happy to use Google Translate then there's some decent maps here: http://gamers-high.com/megami4/map/tokyo.html They use english letters to mark key locations and the diagrams are pretty self explanatory.

Hylian7

So I'm on the neutral path, and having trouble with a side quest boss that apparently a lot of people had trouble with:
Beelzebub

Strategies I have tried:
Reflection: works as long as he doesn't spam Megidolan, which he ends up doing
Finding a weakness: he doesn't have one
Charge and use Grand Tack (MC is a gun based character): he absorbs gun
Brute force it with other stuff: lol Megidolan
Stat buffs/debuffs: again lol Megidolan

Any other ideas?

The existence of Black Rider is a filthy, stinking lie.

g6tj.jpg

naw

duckroll

Okay, the final part of this Ancient of Days battle is really balls. I have Doping on, my party has 800-1000 HP on average, he's at -2 stats, my party is at +2 stats, everyone has full HP, and he can still do Damnation (with Spirit Focus at the end of his previous turn) -> Spirit Focus -> Damnation -> Damnation, which will wipe the entire party instantly. Bullshit!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So I'm on the neutral path, and having trouble with a side quest boss that apparently a lot of people had trouble with:
Beelzebub

Strategies I have tried:

Any other ideas?

Desperate Hit laughs at his gun absorb <3

Anyways, here's how I do it:

MC with Desperate Hit, Charge, Luster Candy.
Demon A with Salvation and Energy Drain, Luster Candy.
Demon B with Salvation and Energy Drain, Luster Candy.
Demon C with Doping.

*make sure to wear Null/Repel Gun armors for the MC*

The demon doesn't matter as long as it has high HP (above 600). I use Metatron, Seth, and the last one I forgot who... it's been a while. Not really necessary on Demon C however, as its only purpose was to cast Doping.

1st round: MC, Demon A, and Demon B use Luster Candy. Demon C does Doping.

Then next round MC does charge, Demon A uses Salvation to heal, Demon B can dance around drinking Coca Cola.

Next turn, MC does Desperate Hit, Demon A use Energy Drain, Demon B use Salvation.

Next turn, MC does Charge, Demon A use Salvation, demon B use Energy Drain.

Repeat. I laugh at his multiple Megidolaon with this tactic :p

duckroll

Beelzebub

Strategies I have tried:

Any other ideas?

In addition to the advice above, I also recommend having demons with Null Nerve, and the MC with an accessory that blocks poison. His most damaging tricks is to poison the party and then use Death's Door. If you're protected against that, you're generally good for the fight as long as you have Doping to boost your HP to cover his almighty attacks.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So how does one get this Desperate Hit?

A special fusion demon called Demonhee-ho, lvl 75 IIRC.

Note that he is the *only* demon that has this, and it cannot be inherited using normal fusion (I recommend use Fusion Lite to get +8 upgrade for MC's Desperate Hit alone, it is that good for a DEX-based MC)

Soulhouf

Okay, the final part of this Ancient of Days battle is really balls. I have Doping on, my party has 800-1000 HP on average, he's at -2 stats, my party is at +2 stats, everyone has full HP, and he can still do Damnation (with Spirit Focus at the end of his previous turn) -> Spirit Focus -> Damnation -> Damnation, which will wipe the entire party instantly. Bullshit!

That's why Draconic Reaction is very useful.
Check my previous post regarding this fight. I managed to make it with only 1 powerful demon. The ability to dodge Damnation is a key factor to win the fight.
You can't survive Damnation spam if it hits you.

Top Bottom