• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

duckroll

So does the DLC have anything important, or is it just for an easier game?

There's like 36 bucks worth of DLC for the Japanese version. Mix of costume themed armor sets, fast exp/ap/macca grinding quests, and a bunch of "challenge quests" which are basically a few lines of dialogue and a boss battle, allowing you to fuse an exclusive demon after that.

So, those dlc missions, they have special demons right. You think you can get the special demons and avoid the exp, cash and AP? I know they are pallate swaps, but still...

Yes. The exp, cash and ap come in the form of items, so you can choose to not use them. The palette swaps tend to have really convenient skill sets so they aren't totally worthless.

Goody

Very jealous of all of you getting to play this now! I pre-ordered from NewEgg when they had their 8 dollar off deal on it. Anyone had experience pre-ordering from them? When should I expect it?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Very jealous of all of you getting to play this now! I pre-ordered from NewEgg when they had their 8 dollar off deal on it. Anyone had experience pre-ordering from them? When should I expect it?
4 or 5 days, depends how close you live to the distribution center they ship from.

Busaiku

There's like 36 bucks worth of DLC for the Japanese version. Mix of costume themed armor sets, fast exp/ap/macca grinding quests, and a bunch of "challenge quests" which are basically a few lines of dialogue and a boss battle, allowing you to fuse an exclusive demon after that.

There's still more stuff coming though right?

anddo0

Game is sooo hard.

I don't like excessively hard games... should I get this? Is it normal on easy mode?

I've watched a few video impressions claiming otherwise. Some say the game is so easy to the point where grinding isn't required. I don't like games of this genre to be super hard either. So the less grinding the better, though I'm sure there will be some grinding involved. The game does have a normal/easy mode. So there's that.

I caved and reserved this bad boy. Played a bit of Strange Journey, but I still haven't finished P4Golden. I remember playing Noctourne a bit back on the PS2. Hopefully I will actually follow through and finish this.

GeekyDad

I don't like excessively hard games... should I get this? Is it normal on easy mode?

Just based on watching gameplay and my experience with the series, I think (like Demon's Souls) the difficulty is being blown a little out of proportion. I think the major differences people face with this game over a lot of other turn-based RPGs is that they will have to incorporate a modicum of thinking, as opposed to simply pressing the A button continuously to grind. You can always Gamefly it first.

Just watched all of this, it looks fantastic. Probably wasn't a good idea, considering it's going to make the wait that much harder. I'm really loving Navarre's voice, it sounds incredibly silly in the best possible way.

It's definitely the dude who does the voices of Akihiko (P3) and Gara (Naruto).

Goby

Banned
Just based on watching gameplay and my experience with the series, I think (like Demon's Souls) the difficulty is being blown a little out of proportion. I think the major differences people face with this game over a lot of other turn-based RPGs is that they will have to incorporate a modicum of thinking, as opposed to simply pressing the A button continuously to grind. You can always Gamefly it first.

It's definitely the dude who does the voices of Akihiko (P3) and Gara (Naruto).

Yeah I agree so much.

It's amazes me how people miss things that are written right on the screen and then complain about difficulty.

anddo0

I caved and reserved this bad boy. Played a bit of Strange Journey, but I still haven't finished P4Golden. I remember playing Noctourne a bit back on the PS2. Hopefully I will actually follow through and finish this.

This is my first Shin Megami Tensei game as well. I spent well over 120 hours with P4. So I figured this would be right down my ally.

The atmosphere in this walkthrough video posted on the last page iirc is really top-notch.

I couldn't care less for the difficulty, the demons, the negotiation and fusing aspects...for me, it's really about the dark tone and atmosphere. I wish there would be more jRPGs like this without this medieval-lighthearted anime stuff.

Well, I hope that my copy arrives soon (Europe, ordered via VGP). Need this in my veins.

GeekyDad

Question:

Looks like both Str and Dx affect your physical skills/attack. Does Str also boost HP? What's the main distinction there besides Dx adding to gun-attack strength?

brinstar

Yeah, it really comes down to what people perceive as "hard". It definitely feels easier to die in this one, at least in the beginning, but with Charon and the ability to save anywhere it almost doesn't really matter. For reference though, I'm only 3 hours in and I've been wiped out more times than my entire Nocturne playthrough.

extralite

Yeah, it really comes down to what people perceive as "hard". It definitely feels easier to die in this one, at least in the beginning, but with Charon and the ability to save anywhere it almost doesn't really matter. For reference though, I'm only 3 hours in and I've been wiped out more times than my entire Nocturne playthrough.

I think this still might not have been mentioned in this thread but to even have to go to Charon, all your active party members have to die. In Nocturne if the MC was dead, it was game over, without any form of continue. So as long as you have a balanced team you should survive pretty easily.

ZenComp

Neo Member
Atlus announced that the latest DLC was the last one.
Question:

Looks like both Str and Dx affect your physical skills/attack. Does Str also boost HP? What's the main distinction there besides Dx adding to gun-attack strength?
As far as I know, you can only boost your HP with levels and equipment.
Dx increases phys/gun skill damage more than St does. (St is still the only stat affecting the basic sword attack)

NeonZ

Like an expanded ending, or just some lore and stuff?

Just lore. There are some new scenes before and after the battles in the extra boss/demon DLCs that give some new information about the story, but they don't really change the endings or anything like that.

Apparently not. The last demon DLC was said to be the final one and it also completes a set of demon DLC.

Sleepy

Does anyone have a list of all the available DLC for the game, beside for the free three-pack at launch? I can't find a master list online, or I just suck.

zroid

Banned
I've been worried about whether this actually would manage to drag me away from AC but reading these impressions, I'm feeling increasingly confident it will. Just very excited to get my hands on it in a day or two. @_@

Doesn't hurt that approx 200 hours in I'm starting to back off AC a bit as well. Not playing for more than an hour a day recently.

duckroll

Does anyone have a list of all the available DLC for the game, beside for the free three-pack at launch? I can't find a master list online, or I just suck.

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/05/23/66742.html
DLC Set 1:
- Samurai Coat DLC (200yen)
- Hairstyle Pack (Free)
- Bonus Exp Quest (250yen)

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/05/30/66970.html
DLC Set 2:
- School Uniform DLC (200yen)
- Bonus Macca Quest (350yen)
- Bonus App Points Quest (350yen)

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/06/06/67194.html
DLC Set 3:
- Asmodeus Equipment DLC (200yen)
- Seraph Quest Part 1 DLC (250yen)

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/06/14/67494.html
DLC Set 4:
- Koga Saburo Equipment DLC (200yen)
- Seraph Quest Part 2 DLC (350yen)

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/06/20/67707.html
DLC Set 5:
- "Ancient of Days" Quest DLC (350yen)

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/07/04/68152.html
DLC Set 6:
- "The Eternal Youth" Quest DLC (350yen)

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/07/11/68374.html
DLC Set 7:
- Glittering Light Equipment DLC (200yen
- "The Future of Tokyo" Quest DLC (400yen)

Aeana

I've heard it's the easiest SMT yet. If you beat Strange Journey, IV should be no problem.

It'd be hard to be easier than SMT1 and 2.
Not having played SMT4 yet, I don't have any input on that, but I have a suspicion that people who started with SMT3 and got destroyed by Matador due to their inexperience are now using that as a measuring stick despite having quite a bit more experience with the systems since that game.

epmode

I really can't stand DLC schemes like this. I wonder what will happen when the Index thing sorts itself out.

GeekyDad

DiTClqy.jpg
OVPGGJE.jpg

...Just sayin'.

It'd be hard to be easier than SMT1 and 2.
Not having played SMT4 yet, I don't have any input on that, but I have a suspicion that people who started with SMT3 and got destroyed by Matador due to their inexperience are now using that as a measuring stick despite having quite a bit more experience with the systems since that game.

Matador wasn't really a problem unless you chose not to experiment with the game's mechanics. It's also the first battle where buffs and debuffs (especially debuffs) actually matter along with resistances.

Aeana

Matador wasn't really a problem unless you chose not to experiment with the games fusing mechanics. It's also the first battle where buffs and debuffs (especially debuffs) actually matter along with resistances.

Correct. The people who had trouble with him are people who were new to Megaten and weren't familiar with the systems. That was kind of my whole point.

Lucent

mmm...none of that sounds interesting for me. I tend not to level up my characters beyond what I need to win or worry about 100%'n things. Think I'll just go with the base game and use the $30 promo credit on some other stuff. Was thinking of using it on Dream Team but...I like my physical stuff so I'll probably save it for AA5.

Will have this game in two days.

Sorry for the follow up DLC questions: Is 7 the last one, and which of those are absolutely necessary?

Famitsu reported it as the final quest. None of the DLC is necessary, all of it is bonus material. You might as well pick up the two sets that will be free at launch (One is three pieces of headgear that are marginally better than your starting equipment, and one is a suit of equipment that is also marginally better than your starting equipment), but other than that it's up to you.

However, you probably won't be able to beat the Final DLC Boss without getting the previous two or three DLC sets, because you'll need some of the skills that only those DLC demons have.

Sleepy

Famitsu reported it as the final quest.

However, you probably won't be able to beat the Final DLC Boss without getting the previous two or three DLC sets, because you'll need some of the skills that only those DLC demons have.

Cool. Thanks. I am looking forward to playing this, my first Megaten, game.

brinstar

okay for anyone out there who's playing, what level were you/demons did you use on the
minotaur
?? I can get pretty far in the fight, but towards the end he uses charge and just starts oneshotting everyone. Doesn't help that my dumbass fellow samurai keep using the wrong elements on him :mad:

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Ha, ha. NSIS, but that's Kurt Russell from Escape From New York (circa 1981). Not sure if that was some kind of homage or just coincidence.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did model it after him. Lisa's dad in P2:IS was modeled after Steven Segal.

Top Bottom