• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Just got my third ending, Law route and boy was that lame. So happy that my first ending was Neutral. Neutral adds about 20 hours extra playtime. And the cutscene of Law is the same as
the bad ending with the black hole destroying everything.

Now do I go and replay from start for Chaos?

Garland7G

Which Dlc do you guys recommend? I'm not interested in the exp/ macca etc. ones. Maybe the equipment ones or def the story ones if they are worth it. I'm only lvl 16 and in the beginning area of Tokyo. thx.

If White Samurai is still Free grab it, it's pretty much competitive with anything you'll realistically get before End Game.

Otherwise the Lucifer and Koga Saburo / Diety Scales armors beat the crud out of everything else. Though the Asmodeous helmet is slightly better for a magic build than Lucifer.

The Archangel / Ancient of Days / Sanat / Masakado packs all have some story and a fight with some bosses that are relatively hard (basically the Archangel stuff starts of being end game and Ancient of Days / Sanat are Fiend hard, while Masakado is basically impossible without either both the Archangel DLCs or Sanat).

Garland7G

If White Samurai is still Free grab it, it's pretty much competitive with anything you'll realistically get before End Game.

Otherwise the Lucifer and Koga Saburo / Diety Scales armors beat the crud out of everything else. Though the Asmodeous helmet is slightly better for a magic build than Lucifer.

The Archangel / Ancient of Days / Sanat / Masakado packs all have some story and a fight with some bosses that are relatively hard (basically the Archangel stuff starts of being end game and Ancient of Days / Sanat are Fiend hard, while Masakado is basically impossible without either both the Archangel DLCs or Sanat).

Thx for the reply, I have the White Samurai outfit and have been using it so far. so I guess I'll stick with that, I am going for a magic build. What lvl do you recommend for those story dlc's? I plan to get them later if they are worth it.

spiritfox

Thx for the reply, I have the White Samurai outfit and have been using it so far. so I guess I'll stick with that, I am going for a magic build. What lvl do you recommend for those story dlc's? I plan to get them later if they are worth it.

The story DLCs are mostly for late- to end-game.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The design is fantastic though. Nothing poor about it at all. They introduced Pierce skills in the story DLCs to begin with, so it's actually nice to have a challenge designed specifically to take advantage of that, or they would be useless skills in the larger scheme of things.

I think in general the bite-sized DLC for SMT4 is a mistake though. They should really have designed a nice optional dungeon, made a more detailed story linking all the story DLC bosses and events, and selling the entire chunk for 15 bucks instead of what they did here.

I certainly feel that the story DLCs have been a satisfying ascension to fight an epic battle. All the DLC bosses before this are components which would help in this final battle.

You'll get that plus other extras on Shin Megami Tensei IV: Maniax Overclocked The Golden for Playstation Vita. The most important new feature will be that Nozomi finally gets a portrait.

GeekyDad

It is kinda weird how they handled Nozomi. They plastered Kaga onto all of the promo media, even giving her own bio on the official site,
and she dies 30 seconds after meeting her
, while Nozomi actually plays a fairly integral role
late in the Neutral path.

It is kinda weird how they handled Nozomi. They plastered Kaga onto all of the promo media, even giving her own bio on the official site,

I expected Kaga
to cut her way out of Xi Wangmu's stomach or something. I was like, "She can't be dead! I just met her and I was told she was a major character!" Oh well...

Soulhouf

Kaga will survive in the Maniax version.

Believe.

Nozomi waifu forever?!

Isabeau Neutral Waifu son, though it would be sweet to chill with
a Goddess.

I feel like characters like
Kaga, Navarre and Hugo
were there to be red herrings to be honest. I thought for sure
Hugo was to be a hardcore law guy or an angel or something, but no he's actually just a relatively nice, overworked guy trying to do his best.

Kaga will survive in the Maniax version.

Believe.

I can dig it.

Andrew J.

With Kaga,
they needed somebody to promote as a high-ranking member of the Chaos faction without giving away that the Black Samurai/Lilith is in charge.

GeekyDad

With Kaga,
they needed somebody to promote as a high-ranking member of the Chaos faction without giving away that the Black Samurai/Lilith is in charge.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up her role. I didn't mind what they ultimately did with her in the story, but it was still disappointing
to see her exit so quickly when you got the impression beforehand she was an integral character.

CorvoSol

I just bought this game to get the 30 dollars eShop credit to put toward AA5. This is my first SMT/Persona game. I think, barring Radiant Historia and Contact, this is my first Atlus RPG.

What do I need to know?

Caladrius

I just bought this game to get the 30 dollars eShop credit to put toward AA5. This is my first SMT/Persona game. I think, barring Radiant Historia and Contact, this is my first Atlus RPG.

What do I need to know?

Recruit lots of demons,specialize, Strength sucks never put points into it (dex is fine), minotaur is weak to ice, use buffs and debuffs plenty and scout and mp recovery app lines are god.

EDIT: here's a more detailed explanation.

Soriku

What do I need to know?

This game is hard at first then gets easier.

If you go for a magic MC build, put in 4 points in magic and 1 point in agility for every level up. Then get Megido on your MC when you can and cruise through the game. Also Concentrate.

Bardiche

What do I need to know?

Tetrakarn, Metrakarn, Fog Breath (Debilitate & Luster Candy, when you get deeper into the game) and Concentrate are your best friends.
Buffs, debuffs, and reflective spells help out in the long run. Focus on applying points towards magic since magic can be your main form of offense.

Is this game supposed to have an instruction manual? The dude at Gamestop told me it doesn't come with one, but since it's Gamestop, I'm deeply suspicious of that claim.

Thoraxes

Nothing to do with being overleveled. The Law route is apparently the shortest of the 3. Probably because God's way is efficient and to the point. *cough*

Works for me.

Also to the bolded, boy is it ever :p

Edit: Also the music is so freaking good in this part, holy crap.

I've finished the game with Law and Neutral routes. Now I'm sad cuz I have a hole in my gaming life. Not sure if I'm burnt out to restart for Chaos. Or if I should find something new to play.

This is the same feeling I had after finishing P4. :(

Soulhouf

I've finished the game with Law and Neutral routes. Now I'm sad cuz I have a hole in my gaming life. Not sure if I'm burnt out to restart for Chaos. Or if I should find something new to play.

This is the same feeling I had after finishing P4. :(

I'm in my 4th playthrough.
Still going strong :D

Soulhouf

What are some must have armor and accessories for a NG+? I've got loads of Macca to spend.

Siegfried's armor is pretty expensive (secret shop in Ginza) but it's my favourite so far (4th run).

---------------------------

I wanted to fuse Makami but I got this demon instead (fusion accident):

IMG_1467.jpg

He seems to be very powerful despite his low level.

Mr. Fix

IMG_1467.jpg

Goddamn. I hope I get lucky with Yoshitsune. Since it's an accident, does that mean you never have any control over what skills are passed down?

Soulhouf

Goddamn. I hope I get lucky with Yoshitsune. Since it's an accident, does that mean you never have any control over what skills are passed down?

It's like the fusion lite. You don't have any control over it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";78940917]Just got the game, who else named their Terminal thing BeamMeUp?[/QUOTE]

I named it Aleph.

duckroll

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";78940917]Just got the game, who else named their Terminal thing BeamMeUp?[/QUOTE]

I named it Persona. In retrospect I should have named it Persona 5. I dunno, I'm weird.

GeekyDad

I named mine -- are you ready for this --

Mikado. :)

Just started NG+ and the EXP you get is insane. The first three demons I recruited in Naraku jumped to lvl 20 after one mission. Is this normal?

Also, I dunno if this is thread worthy but I'd like to finish Strange Journey, but I'm stuck in some late game dungeon. My file is about 50 hrs long. I haven't played the game in over a year. I wonder if I should restart and really focus on fusing this time around.

Thoughts? Or should I post a thread about it?

vctor182

Siegfried's armor is pretty expensive (secret shop in Ginza) but it's my favourite so far (4th run).

IMG_1467.jpg

Just got this demon by streetpassing with someone at work, I had a Jack Frost and fused with a random demon lol

pizza dog

Banned

named mine Cerebro 'cuz damn it looks like that.

Finished this game last week, before my account was approved. Neutral Ending
I spent a ton of time in Shinjuku right outside the bar fusan my bros up, filled in the compendium a bit, got myself a perfectly-skilled Lucifuge, thought "damn, this here is my boy let's do this final fight"... and then it ended lol. Kind of anticlimactic but I liked the ending.
No interest in NG+ though. That game was exhausting.

PK Gaming

IMG_1467.jpg

tup7pah.png

He's my favorite demon and I've never gotten one :(

Hi all, quick question

Which spells are better, the severe one (Deadly Wind) or the multi-hit (Floral Gust) ?

For demons the non-dlc 1-4 hits of medium damage skills are slightly more powerful,on single targets,on average than the single severe damage spells. For Flynn the multi-hit ones are noticeably better since the bonus damage from upgrades are per hit. If there's a group of 4 demons on screen and 2 repel wind and 1 is weak to it though , you'll wish you had the Severe skill , so there's pros and cons.

For the DLC skills:
Refrigerate is waaay better though especially for Flynn. Plasma Discharge is on average weaker for demons than the 1-4 hit medium moves, but its stronger for Flynn due to the extra damage for upgrades being per hit.

There's no Single Target Severe Damage for Electric and Ice.
There's no 1-4 hit medium damage attack for Electricity.
Thunder Reign does more damage than the Single Target Heavies but less than the Single Target Severes but hits all enemies.
Cold World is a hit all ice move with a chance of Instant Death , in terms of raw damage its between Mabufula and Mabufudyne.

Top Bottom