• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Hmm, Shin Megami Tensei is now popular enough where I don't have to worry about buying it right away right?

Because I still have a bunch of games I need to finish before I start playing this.

Tamanon

Banned
I've just gotten used to preordering any Atlus game. It's pretty much a ritual now. Only company I'm a completely loyal customer for!

okay for anyone out there who's playing, what level were you/demons did you use on the
minotaur
?? I can get pretty far in the fight, but towards the end he uses charge and just starts oneshotting everyone. Doesn't help that my dumbass fellow samurai keep using the wrong elements on him :mad:

I just beat this fight last night.
It was tough and I kept dying. My Flynn was level 14, all other demons were ranging from 8-12. I had Ceberus, Pile and Naga on my team. Naga had this ability that buffed up my ice attacks, so bufu did a lot of damage. I used Naga to heal everyone and everyone else just spammed attacks.

EDIT: woops didn't see your message after. Congrats!

spiritfox

It was tough and I kept dying. My Flynn was level 14, all other demons were ranging from 8-12. I had Ceberus, Pile and Naga on my team. Naga had this ability that buffed up my ice attacks, so bufu did a lot of damage. I used Naga to heal everyone and everyone else just spammed attacks.

Well I got past him at around lvl 12. Was lucky that he spent a few turns just attacking and missed a fair best of this big attacks though.

Didn't really have time to play this game due to Steam sales and Civ V, but managed to reach just reach Tokyo.
The descend down Naraku to the Sky Tower reminded me a bit of the 1st Etrian Odyssey, funnily enough.

brinstar

I got through at level 11, thanks to Spriggan. Now I'm stuck on
Medusa
with no Force spells and no options to fuse any demons with them aside from Pixie :[ Gonna have to figure something out I guess...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
pzyclta.jpg

Whatever. I just used the 3DS's camera for now. Where's my dang cable? No time to look for it. SMT time!

BLCKATK

I am so jealous to anyone that has their copy right now. All I want to do is play this. Nothing else will satisfy my tastes... hnggh.

brinstar

does anyone know what it means when a demon is "lost" and how to fix it?

EDIT: Nvm, I forgot there's a digital manual... apparently if your demon is "lost" in battle I have to find it again before I can use it... what

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Where did you find your copy?

At a Microplay gamestore. They had to check in the computer to see if they could sell it, and the date was today for some reason.

In any case, for anyone whose already played or is playing...I am trying to not mess up my stats too bad, so any recommendations? I am aiming for a high speed build ala Soul Hackers so far, but I am starting to doubt myself. What would be a good spread?

Wii Tank

Wow, I guess I lucked out. I preordered the game, and I could have sworn it came out today, so I went out to my EB games and picked it up no problem. It wouldn't let me register the game on Club Nintendo so I came here to see if anyone else was having that problem and apparently it isn't out yet. Huh. I guess try your local EB or Gamestop and see if they're feeling nice

At a Microplay gamestore. They had to check in the computer to see if they could sell it, and the date was today for some reason.

I guess some places store Sundays as the release date, rather than normal weekdays, like Tuesday? Yargh... If I hadn't ordered through Amazon, I'd totally try to exploit that kind of system error to snag a early copy!

brinstar

From what I've heard, you need get in battles and re-encounter it. No idea if the conversation is automatic or not though.

man where the fu... I fused it, I don't even know where I'd find it... ughhh

EDIT: Okay it seems like it will show up in the very next encounter, not so bad, but then it makes me wonder what the point of that status even is

Ah cool, thanks. Don't have one of those around me so I'll be waiting for Amazon to send my copy out on Tuesday.

Edit: Suppose it's all a moot point anyway, my Amazon order says Shipping Now! The countdown begins!

Teknoman

Wow, I guess I lucked out. I preordered the game, and I could have sworn it came out today, so I went out to my EB games and picked it up no problem. It wouldn't let me register the game on Club Nintendo so I came here to see if anyone else was having that problem and apparently it isn't out yet. Huh. I guess try your local EB or Gamestop and see if they're feeling nice

Heh I dunno man, someone might get in trouble for that one. Unless it didnt flag as street dated there for some reason.

A demon used a wind spell (Zanma) and it blew my Naga away

Oh wow...thats brutal. Hopefully Agidyne cant permanently incinerate it or something.

I may finish Persona 4 for the first time in the next few days, which will prime me for SMT4.

God I need a new Persona game in my life soon. Maybe it's time to rebuy a PSP.

Skelter

Banned
There's like 36 bucks worth of DLC for the Japanese version. Mix of costume themed armor sets, fast exp/ap/macca grinding quests, and a bunch of "challenge quests" which are basically a few lines of dialogue and a boss battle, allowing you to fuse an exclusive demon after that.

So what you're saying is that Level 5 are the only ones to release a proper dlc for the 3DS?

I was really hoping Atlus would try something more ambitious for dlc. Still...I might just buy them anyway 'cause Atlus.

EdreyV

Neo Member
I've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game and I was wondering if this would be a good one to get into the series with? also, is it really as hard as people say it is? Part of me really wants to get this but part of me is scared I wont enjoy it. help me out guys

Teknoman

I've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game and I was wondering if this would be a good one to get into the series with? also, is it really as hard as people say it is? Part of me really wants to get this but part of me is scared I wont enjoy it. help me out guys

SMT games arent hard, just usually more challenging than other JRPGs. Alot of the time you can even autobattle your way through random battles...but can also die at the drop of a hat.

This is my first SMT game and I really recommend it. It can be a bit hard, but nothing grinding and fusing demons can't solve. So far it seems like a good game to get into the series. I'm not lost yet with the story, everything makes sense or is something you can figure out if you give it some thought.

Teknoman

This is my first SMT game and I really recommend it. It can be a bit hard, but nothing grinding and fusing demons can't solve. So far it seems like a good game to get into the series. I'm not lost yet with the story, everything makes sense or is something you can figure out if you give it some thought.

Thats another good thing about SMT / related games. For all the deities, demons, angels, entities, involved, the stories are pretty easy to follow/always (well usually anyway) make sense within the context of the world.

GeekyDad

This guy brings up a pretty interesting issue here. A little disappointing, really. I can see this being a bit of a drag when trying to rack up sidequests and such.

brinstar

It's hard, but it's fair. Unlike other most of the megatens, you can save where you want, and when you die you can pay a fee from ingame money or 3DS play coins to revive yourself where you died. So getting wiped out isn't as annoying because you don't get sent back to some distant save point.

However I have died quite a bit-- I had 300 play coins when I started my file and now I'm at 197. I've heard it gets easier as you start to build good demons.

Anyway to try to answer your question I think it's a good starting point because the game's atmosphere and interface is more friendly, a lot of the systems are clearly explained and laid out for you and while you will die the penalty for it isn't as harsh.

Bigdrbingo

Neo Member
I was wondering, are all copies of the game Limited Editions? I didn't pre-order so if I pick it up on launch day at Best Buy or Gamestop I should still be able to get the limited edition right?

An-Det

Famitsu reported it as the final quest. None of the DLC is necessary, all of it is bonus material. You might as well pick up the two sets that will be free at launch (One is three pieces of headgear that are marginally better than your starting equipment, and one is a suit of equipment that is also marginally better than your starting equipment), but other than that it's up to you.

However, you probably won't be able to beat the Final DLC Boss without getting the previous two or three DLC sets, because you'll need some of the skills that only those DLC demons have.

How long are those ones free until? I'm hoping for a 3DS XL deal to show up before end of August, wouldn't want to miss any free dlc but it's just extras I'm not too worried on.

ZenComp

Neo Member
How long are those ones free until? I'm hoping for a 3DS XL deal to show up before end of August, wouldn't want to miss any free dlc but it's just extras I'm not too worried on.
The headgear set is free permanently. The armor is free for the first month, after that it'll be one dollar.

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/05/23/66742.html
DLC Set 1:
- Samurai Coat DLC (200yen)
- Hairstyle Pack (Free)
- Bonus Exp Quest (250yen)

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/05/30/66970.html
DLC Set 2:
- School Uniform DLC (200yen)
- Bonus Macca Quest (350yen)
- Bonus App Points Quest (350yen)

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/06/06/67194.html
DLC Set 3:
- Asmodeus Equipment DLC (200yen)
- Seraph Quest Part 1 DLC (250yen)

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/06/14/67494.html
DLC Set 4:
- Koga Saburo Equipment DLC (200yen)
- Seraph Quest Part 2 DLC (350yen)

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/06/20/67707.html
DLC Set 5:
- "Ancient of Days" Quest DLC (350yen)

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/07/04/68152.html
DLC Set 6:
- "The Eternal Youth" Quest DLC (350yen)

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/07/11/68374.html
DLC Set 7:
- Glittering Light Equipment DLC (200yen
- "The Future of Tokyo" Quest DLC (400yen)

Are these quests repeatable or once and done things?

Top Bottom