• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Bullza2o

Is anyone planning on getting this day 1 but not diving into it deep right away? I was persuaded to buy this game because of the $30 promo, but I was vacillating over buying it before. I don't think I can play because I already have a 3DS backlog of Fire Emblem Awakening (since day 1 Feb), Luigi's Mansion, and Animal Crossing.

Hopefully I can finish most of these games before Pokemon comes out, which I will use the $30 towards. I doubt it.

Lucent

Is anyone planning on getting this day 1 but not diving into it deep right away? I was persuaded to buy this game because of the $30 promo, but I was vacillating over buying it before. I don't think I can play because I already have a 3DS backlog of Fire Emblem Awakening (since day 1 Feb), Luigi's Mansion, and Animal Crossing.

Hopefully I can finish most of these games before Pokemon comes out, which I will use the $30 towards. I doubt it.

I have the same backlog. I only started Fire Emblem for maybe an hour. Still haven't finished the first mansion in Dark Moon. And I have Animal Crossing but there's only so much you can do in that during the day. Not like you can really beat it beat it.

But yeah, I was gonna grab it day 1 for the first print goodies. The promo is just another bonus. Probably use the promo credit on AA5 or some other digital stuff. I'll get Pokemon X physically. I trust cartridges more than SD cards. Especially after someone lost their 140 hours in AC:NL recently. I dunno how he did it but I guess his SD card crapped out on him. =/

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Got the shipping notification a couple of hours ago from Amazon.

Now I must make sure my calender is clear for a week starting Tuesday.

Velcro Fly

I'm playing (and really loving) Soul Hackers right now. I have free shipping from Amazon so I probably won't get it until Saturday or next Monday. Still have the last two mansions to finish on Luigi's Mansion and still playing Animal Crossing. Plus I still want to do another run through FE. Plenty of 3DS goodness to go around.

Mine won't ship until Monday night, probably. There's an Amazon shipping center a few hours from me, so they seem to wait until the last possible moment to ship stuff.

ZenComp

Neo Member
So I'm guessing the equip DLC is worthless, the easy mode DLC is worthless, and that a few of the story DLC are worth it?
The later armor is really good, but it's not really necessary. The boss quests are much more interesting, but it depends on how they're priced.

This will be my first SMT. Any tips?

Fuse regularly. It's easy to optimize and tweak your demons in this game, so don't hesitate to move onto bigger and better demons. Abuse weaknesses and cover your own. Make sure to use buffs and debuffs, they're rather effective in SMT games. The tides of battle can swing very rapidly due to the mechanics, so I always try and play every boss safe.

Garland7G

I have pretty much the same backlog but I'm about to finish up Fire Emblem tonight (I hope) such a good game. And I'm not worried about animal crossing because that is a game that can easily be played alongside others.
I will however be diving into SMT4 as soon as possible lol.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Fuse regularly.

I have trouble with this because I get attached to some demons.

Noooo, I don't want to say goodbye to Kikurihime!

Who needs a puppy when you have demons

Get puppy demons!

478_-_Inugami.jpg

Esura

Banned
I wish there was a DLC to make a high leveled fusion demon look like my demon of choice. I would love to have an army of Pixies and Sarasvatis.

spiritfox

It's kind of troublesome if you just want to fuse a random demon you picked up to free up space, but I like the recommendations. I also wished they kept the grid at least.

JJD

When is this going to be available on the eShop? And usually at which hour the eShop updates?

Hopefully not GCT...

Just curious, what don't you like?

Actually should've said why. Spoilers just invade:
I don't like that there's no traditional search, but only the three demons that are recommended to you at one time.

I'm used to the demon grid/ table where you can see every possible demon fusion result. In past SMT games, I would sometimes fuse low level, random, unused demons to see what results id get. Now I can't just select who I want to fuse.

Velcro Fly

Does anyone know if there is a strategy guide that is going to come out for this in English? I know the book that comes with the first print run covers roughly 30-40% of the game, but I'm just wondering if there is going to be something like Nocturne got. I think I heard something was coming out in Japan but I hadn't heard anything about English.

Does anyone know if there is a strategy guide that is going to come out for this in English? I know the book that comes with the first print run covers roughly 30-40% of the game, but I'm just wondering if there is going to be something like Nocturne got. I think I heard something was coming out in Japan but I hadn't heard anything about English.

That Nocturne guide is impossible to find.

knkng

When is this going to be available on the eShop? And usually at which hour the eShop updates?

Hopefully not GCT...

Traditionally, first party games release at midnight EST, and third party games release at noon EST. But there's always a chance that it will release at midnight (and everybody will stay up until 3am waiting regardless :p ).

JJD

Traditionally, first party games release at midnight EST, and third party games release at noon EST. But there's always a chance that it will release at midnight (and everybody will stay up until 3am waiting regardless :p ).

Hopefully it will release at midnight!

Thanks for the info!

Garland7G

I don't like that there's no traditional search, but only the three demons that are recommended to you at one time.

I'm used to the demon grid/ table where you can see every possible demon fusion result. In past SMT games, I would sometimes fuse low level, random, unused demons to see what results id get. Now I can't just select who I want to fuse.

According to this http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/14/demon-fusion-is-more-convenient-than-ever-in-shin-megami-tensei-iv/ it appears like you can unless i'm reading it wrong.

Hmm, I liked the grid too. Ah well, hopefully it won't be a problem when playing! I wish it was Tuesday already since I can't find it anywhere yet. :p

Uh are you missing something? You're not just limited to the three recommended demons, there's a very comprehensive database with a wide variety of search terms you can use to explore what fusion options are available to you.

Lucent

I'm sure it's fine!

Actually, last time they sent me a shipping notice it was after the item already arrived. Silly Amazon.

This has actually happened to me before I'm pretty sure.

I hate when Fed-Ex delivers. They usually don't but Fed-Ex always drops my package at the door without much of an attempt to knock and just leaves. UPS usually gives a few knocks a couple of times and if I don't hear it/get there in time they'll drop it off at the apartment office so I can just walk up and ask for it.

EDIT:
395978.jpg
ew...will def not use it. I wanna wear my Amazon boxes the whole game!
Might not lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Soul Hacker disappointed me and I was initially hyped for that.

Hopefully this game does deliver! And it appears like this game has a strong story content (it is, right?) and it is just my cup of tea!

Top Bottom