• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Velcro Fly

Within the last half hour or so mine went from has not shipped to shipping now on Amazon.

Of course my free super saver shipping means it won't get here until the weekend, but that is fine with me!

So check on the Amazon website to make sure. I've received no email about my item shipping.

Not a fan of all this DLC that drastically alters the appearance of the MC. They should have just included a create-a-character option if his appearance was so trivial.

Jenoss

Banned
2 Questions:
There is a replay value after beating the game, like a newgame+ ?
Can i play after i beat the game?
I do not know if it's already been asked, if so I apologize for the repetition

Lissar

Reluctant Member
This has actually happened to me before I'm pretty sure.

I hate when Fed-Ex delivers. They usually don't but Fed-Ex always drops my package at the door without much of an attempt to knock and just leaves. UPS usually gives a few knocks a couple of times and if I don't hear it/get there in time they'll drop it off at the apartment office so I can just walk up and ask for it.

One time I had a laptop delivered via UPS and he didn't bother knocking at all. He went up to the door, left a notice, and left! I heard nothing, then saw him drive away. I think he assumed because there was no car in the driveway that no one was home.

I've had problems with Fed-Ex too, but I can't remember any specific stories. I don't really like any delivery services.

Soriku

2 Questions:
There is a replay value after beating the game, like a newgame+ ?
Can i play after i beat the game?
I do not know if it's already been asked, if so I apologize for the repetition

There is a NG+ and you unlock a hard mode after beating the game. I heard there are extra quests (and bosses?) in NG+ as well.

I have a question. Shin Megami Tensei III was called Nocturne, right? I never played that game, but from what I heard it was rather, uh, "dark" (that's probably a total understatement lol).

This game, based on the OT, doesn't seem nearly as much so. Do these games just fluctuate in tone or something?

I'll most likely be picking it up, anyways.

CSX

I have a question. Shin Megami Tensei III was called Nocturne, right? I never played that game, but from what I heard it was rather, uh, "dark" (that's probably a total understatement lol).

This game, based on the OT, doesn't seem nearly as much so. Do these games just fluctuate in tone or something?

No the series is still dark. Its probably the character designs throwing u off no? I recall a preview talking about a forest covered in blood. Its a mainline smt game. It's going to have a dark tone.

extralite

Nocturne was special because most humans were already dead in that game's world. That created the impression of you being alone in a world of enemies.

But the series has always been dark and this game is no exception. My favorite dark part in IV is when you explore the laboratories of the Ashura group.

Volcynika

It'shappening.gif

rSKw0nY.png

Can't wait to stream this and show everyone how terrible I am. ;_;

Soul Hacker disappointed me and I was initially hyped for that.

Hopefully this game does deliver! And it appears like this game has a strong story content (it is, right?) and it is just my cup of tea!

What dissapointed you about soul hackers? Could help see if this one for you. Some people say the characters and story are good, others say they are weak.

Payment charged at newegg. Here we go...

Are all early release copies filled with the Day 1 special edition content? (Regardless of pre order)

KarmaCow

The game started shipping Friday night but just sat in a warehouse all weekend. It's moved to slightly closer warehouse today and the ETA says today but it might not get put out for delivery until tomorrow. :(

Payment charged at newegg. Here we go...

Are all early release copies filled with the Day 1 special edition content? (Regardless of pre order)

Every first run copy of the game comes with all the extra stuff. There might be a few non-preorder copies out there with all the extra stuff sitting on shelves.

GeekyDad

The game started shipping Friday night but just sat in a warehouse all weekend. It's moved to slightly closer warehouse today and the ETA says today but it might not get put out for delivery until tomorrow. :(

Yeah, that's what's happening for me. Got an email from Best Buy Thursday, and it's still sitting in the original UPS station according to the tracking. I'm dyin' ova here!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So, I get into the
3rd Stratum of Naraku
and promptly
get one shotted by the twin Nagas.
In any case, I tried to fuse a Pele with Dia...and got a fusion error. Hello there, level 16 (I am 7) Gu Huo Niao. Why the hell not haha.

Shoyz

Guess I'm waiting a few months for a price drop, Newegg doesn't allow you to update the payment method on a preorder and despite what the FAQ tells you, once the payment fails immediately voids your order.

Hopefully this game does deliver! And it appears like this game has a strong story content (it is, right?) and it is just my cup of tea!

I was also disappointed with Soul Hackers: namely because it hadn't aged well at all, and felt obtuse in gameplay, and dated in presentation. But I can assure you that IV excels in those two aspects, and much more. Story had been unique so far, voice acting is top notch (no more "what will you do?") and the UI is fantastic.

I was pretty disappointed with Soul Hackers as well, but it's probably the most disappointing game under the SMT umbrella (if you will) for me.

Depending on what about Soul Hackers disappointed you, SMTIV should still be good. I'm expecting it to deliver at least.

My personal problem with SH was that I felt like it has some of the longest, uninteresting, and tedious dungeons this side of Persona 3/4, but without the dating sim to distract you from how shit the dungeons are. So instead of a five hour break after a lame dungeon in which all your characters learn instruments and form a JPOP band in two days (totemo kawaiiiiii~), which at least distracted from the atrocity of the dungeons if nothing else, Soul Hackers takes the approach of: "That last dungeon was shit, eh? Well, fuck you, go find 22 letters across as many floors in this dungeon! And did I mention fuck you?"

Effect

Nice . Mu order is in the Order Verification stage on NewEgg. With any luck I might get it tomorrow if it ships out of the New Jersey facility. I tend to get orders the next day when they come from there since I'm on the east side of Pennsylvania.

I'm sad so many here disliked Soul Hackers. :(. It's one of my top 5 now:

SMT 3: Nocturne
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Persona 4

GeekyDad

My personal problem with SH was that I felt like it has some of the longest, uninteresting, and tedious dungeons this side of Persona 3/4, but without the dating sim to distract you from how shit the dungeons are. So instead of a five hour break after a lame dungeon in which all your characters learn instruments and form a JPOP band in two days (totemo kawaiiiiii~), which at least distracted from the atrocity of the dungeons if nothing else, Soul Hackers takes the approach of: "That last dungeon was shit, eh? Well, fuck you, go find 22 letters across as many floors in this dungeon! And did I mention fuck you?"

Pretty harsh indictment there. I thought the dungeons held up fairly well, especially alongside contemporary crawlers like EOIV. You actually had adventure elements in Soul Hackers, and a story worth following. Yeah, the two towers at the end was a pain in the ass, but I think aside from the visuals, the gameplay was still quite enjoyable for what it was. It has a great vibe overall to boot. It's far from "shit."

Pretty harsh indictment there. I thought the dungeons held up fairly well, especially alongside contemporary crawlers like EOIV. You actually had adventure elements in Soul Hackers, and a story worth following. Yeah, the two towers at the end was a pain in the ass, but I think aside from the visuals, the gameplay was still quite enjoyable for what it was. It has a great vibe overall to boot. It's far from "shit."

Agreed bro

I really enjoyed SH for what is was; namely a port of a port. I didn't go in expecting the Persona 4 Golden treatment and was offered a great gaming experience. I would also have to say that SH ranks very high in my top SMT games played. And my only gripe about the game is that it's length was a little on the shorter side. Otherwise I enjoyed it immensely.

Someone asked earlier about the "dark" tone of the game. It's very different from Nocturne, in that the narrative is very focused and present here with lots of dialogue due to the fact that there are actually ppl here to interact with. But don't you doubt, there's an under undercurrent of dread and tension throughout the game so far, a sense that any moment the game will pull the rug out from under you.

I really enjoyed SH for what is was; namely a port of a port. I didn't go in expecting the Persona 4 Golden treatment and was offered a great gaming experience. I would also have to say that SH ranks very high in my top SMT games played. And my only gripe about the game is that it's length was a little on the shorter side. Otherwise I enjoyed it immensely.

The story was a bit short, but once you beat it, you unlock the Sea Arc 11th floor which, once you beat the bonus bosses there, unlocks the new game+, which once you beat that, has a modified ending. Once you have your top team made you can take on the ex dungeon which has more bonus bosses and it ends with an awesome pair of superbosses.

I understand many people liked it quite a bit more, but that is how it felt to me, and I went from super hyped to feeling like the game was a chore to play. It felt like the whole game was the last dungeon of Persona 1 and it truly felt shit to me. This is from someone who loves the final dungeons of SJ though, which many people seem to dislike. Story wasn't bad though. I got a bit carried away, but if anyone was disappointed by SH for the same reason as me, it was a unique disappointment for me for an "SMT" game.

Not to stray off subject either, but EOIV seemed quite a bit easier than III in dungeon design. Interesting and/or difficult dungeon mechanics mostly relegated to one and done side dungeons. I still enjoyed it though.

The story was a bit short, but once you beat it, you unlock the Sea Arc 11th floor which, once you beat the bonus bosses there, unlocks the new game+, which once you beat that, has a modified ending. Once you have your top team made you can take on the ex dungeon which has more bonus bosses and it ends with an awesome pair of superbosses.

Yeah, I spent almost another 30 hrs trying to defeat all of those dudes. It took me forever to unlock the New Game+ which I'm playing through right now waiting to play SMT IV. I'm actually back at the end of NG+ again and I'm hoping this time to take on the extra dungeon stuff.

Yeah, I spent almost another 30 hrs trying to defeat all of those dudes. It took me forever to unlock the New Game+ which I'm playing through right now waiting to play SMT IV. I'm actually back at the end of NG+ again and I'm hoping this time to take on the extra dungeon stuff.

A strange choice for that game to have a pretty short (by megaten standards) main campaign, but all this extra bonus content.

See, this sounds awesome. I love bonus dungeons and superbosses. I want to love this game. But I don't have the fortitude to slog through more SH dungeons. My loss, but again, the point was that I still feel very hopeful for SMTIV and I think others who felt similarly can look forward to a much better time unless something went terribly wrong.

Question: how spoilery is the game guide included with the first edition? I wanna look through it for the art and for tips but I'm afraid of stumbling on spoilers. So I haven't even read it yet.

Top Bottom