• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Replace IS with Strange Journey and that's mine.

I was sabatoged. I was loving Strange Journey, I got to near the end of Sector Fornax, when I lent the game to my little cousin. He saved on both slots. ;_; I just got to Sector Eridanus again last night.

See, this sounds awesome. I love bonus dungeons and superbosses. I want to love this game. But I don't have the fortitude to slog through more SH dungeons. My loss, but again, the point was that I still feel very hopeful for SMTIV and I think others who felt similarly can look forward to a much better time unless something went terribly wrong.

Then I think SMTIV might be for you, because people have told me that the dungeon layouts are much more simple and to the point.

This is my second SMT game (when I say SMT, I encompass all of the side games and what not). I'm currently going through P3 FES and I'm loving it. Where should I go after I finish both of these?

I'm still on track for SMT4 delivery tomorrow around lunchtime. I'm so ready. Me and this game will fuse and become something even greater.

This is my second SMT game (when I say SMT, I encompass all of the side games and what not). I'm currently going through P3 FES and I'm loving it. Where should I go after I finish both of these?

Persona 4 or Nocturne, depending on whether you liked P3 or SMT4 more, respectively.

I'm still on track for SMT4 delivery tomorrow around lunchtime. I'm so ready. Me and this game will fuse and become something even greater.

Persona 4 or Nocturne, depending on whether you liked P3 or SMT4 more, respectively.

One might also wish to go to Strange Journey on DS, due to the more connected nature of that game and SMT4. I feel that this game has more in common with SJ than Nocturne.

Then I think SMTIV might be for you, because people have told me that the dungeon layouts are much more simple and to the point.
My complaint was never that Soul Hackers dungeons were complex. They aren't complex. Simple is a word you could use to describe SH dungeons, along with long, boring, and tedious. That's a bummer about your Strange Journey save file, because that was an excellent example of long, difficult, sometimes complex dungeons. It's actually a shame to hear that SMTIV has simple dungeons; I'm not sure what I've said in this thread that has given you the impression that is what is "for me" though.

pahamrick

Prior to Soul Hackers, I'd only played the Persona games. Persona, Persona 2:EP on PS1 years and years ago, and more recently Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4: Golden. I've got the PSP versions of Persona and Persona 2: Innocent Sin but haven't touched them yet.

If mainline SMT games are even better than Soul Hackers I really feel late to the party, because I've been enjoying the hell out of SH.

^Both are excellent games, and I like Nocturne over Strange Journey, but like I said, I simply feel that SJ is more connected to this one than Nocturne.

My complaint was never that Soul Hackers dungeons were complex. They aren't complex. Simple is a word you could use to describe SH dungeons, along with long, boring, and tedious. That's a bummer about your Strange Journey save file, because that was an excellent example of long, difficult, sometimes complex dungeons. It's actually a shame to hear that SMTIV has simple dungeons; I'm not sure what I've said in this thread that has given you the impression that is what is "for me" though.

What I meant to say is, apparently the SMT4 dungeons don't go on for too long past their welcome and don't feel tedious.

rugioh

Banned
I want to pick this up, but I've been so busy lately I'm afraid I'll never get the quality time to sit down and consistently put time into this... We'll see. How many hours do SMT games average out to be? I remember putting 105 hours into P3:FES earlier this year without much issue. And I know Persona isn't real SMT blah blah blah. Just trying to compare.

What I meant to say is, apparently the SMT4 dungeons don't go on for too long past their welcome and don't feel tedious.

I apologize for being defensive, but that isn't what you conveyed. I'm sure most people could agree that dungeons that don't stay past their welcome is good and I am glad to hear that. On the one hand, I would then wonder if you would agree SH dungeons do stay past their welcome but then, it doesn't matter.

Hopefully SMTIV dungeons can be at least as interesting as Nocturne's later dungeons or, even better, the Amala Labyrinth. That's all I ask for, but would be thrilled to find EOIII or Strange Journey level dungeons. If those count as simple and straightforward, then I'll take simple and straightforward all day every day.

I haven't done a launch day purchase on 3DS yet. Will this be available at midnight tonight?

Like the eShop version? No in that case it won't go up until the eShop updates on Thursday.

As for a retail copy, that will vary by retailer but it seems pretty unlikely. Although you might be able to find a Wal-Mart that would be willing to look in the back for you I suppose.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Like the eShop version? No in that case it won't go up until the eShop updates on Thursday.

As for a retail copy, that will vary by retailer but it seems pretty unlikely. Although you might be able to find a Wal-Mart that would be willing to look in the back for you I suppose.
Thursday? Damn. Guess I'm getting a physical copy. I didn't feel like searching for a game stop since I'm vacationing in Texas, but looks like I'll have to.

Hopefully SMTIV dungeons can be at least as interesting as Nocturne's later dungeons or, even better, the Amala Labyrinth. That's all I ask for, but would be thrilled to find EOIII or Strange Journey level dungeons. If those count as simple and straightforward, then I'll take simple and straightforward all day every day.

I don't think SMT4's are that complicatedd

Volcynika

Thursday? Damn. Guess I'm getting a physical copy. I didn't feel like searching for a game stop since I'm vacationing in Texas, but looks like I'll have to.

I'm pretty sure the eShop version will go up on Tuesday at 10 or 9AM Pacific (I forget Nintendo's usual update time). Doubt they would wait until Thursday, since the promo for Club Nintendo starts tomorrow.

Don't bother, it will be on the eshop tomorrow at 9am pst. No idea what time that is in Texas.

I was operating under the (possibly false) impression that 3rd party games don't show up until the Thursday release. I know for a fact 1st party titles are up by midnight the day of. But I guess with the Club Nintendo promotion maybe it's different this time around.

Volcynika

I was operating under the (possibly false) impression that 3rd party games don't show up until the Thursday release. I know for a fact 1st party titles are up by midnight the day of. But I guess with the Club Nintendo promotion maybe it's different this time around.

Nah, 3rd party games don't arrive late or anything, though the chance of being available midnight is next to none (don't remember any that have done that). But they arrive on Tuesday normally. Etrian Odyssey IV was up around 9AM Pacific on the Tuesday it released too.

Nah, 3rd party games don't arrive late or anything, though the chance of being available midnight is next to none (don't remember any that have done that). But they arrive on Tuesday normally. Etrian Odyssey IV was up around 9AM Pacific on the Tuesday it released too.

They say you learn something new everyday, I was hoping mine would be a bit more profound, but I suppose the day is still young.

In seriousness, that's good to know for future reference.

Yeah I'm going eShop. Thursday... boooooo!

KarmaCow

My order from futureshop just arrived today! Yay!

Ha just as about to ask you about it, my copy arrived.

edit: I guess they legally had to add the backcover because it looks like they quickly slapped one onto the box with a bit of glue in the middle.

edit2: Wow the book is alot more of a strategy guide than I was expecting. There is a straight up fusion chart (as well details on specific demons) and list for weapons/armour/items and even guides for quests. I guess Atlus really wants newbies to not get scared off.

GeekyDad

Amazon status update: shipping now

Bad news

Delivery date July 19th-23rd...

I don't know how to feel.

pGEhq7H.gif

Vamphuntr

Ebgames.ca shipped mine once again with Purolator and I should have it tomorrow. I wonder why people pay for express shipping with them, I always get Purolator with free shipping.

Still waiting for my DLC hoodie code from them but they are usually slow with those from my past experiences.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I ordered mine for in-store pick up from GameStop.com. I didn't want to wait an extra day or two for delivery. With all the bonus material I couldn't see getting it digital.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I got an email from Amazon a few hours ago telling me my payment was declined, as it didn't automatically update the order when I updated my CC info a month ago. When I entered the new info the delivery date got pushed to the 18th, so I contacted Amazon support and they upgraded my shipping to 1-day for free.
aJBnvhQ.png

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Man I am really dreading levelling up because I don't want to mess up my stats hahaha. The joys of playing before release I guess...

Fuse regularly. It's easy to optimize and tweak your demons in this game, so don't hesitate to move onto bigger and better demons. Abuse weaknesses and cover your own. Make sure to use buffs and debuffs, they're rather effective in SMT games. The tides of battle can swing very rapidly due to the mechanics, so I always try and play every boss safe.
Preciate it I never use many buffs in RPGs, so that's good to know.

Fuse regularly. It's easy to optimize and tweak your demons in this game, so don't hesitate to move onto bigger and better demons. Abuse weaknesses and cover your own. Make sure to use buffs and debuffs, they're rather effective in SMT games. The tides of battle can swing very rapidly due to the mechanics, so I always try and play every boss safe.

On the first point: even after years of playing SMT games I still want to hold on to the demons I worked so hard to fuse and find. Classic rookie mistake. If you're not constantly cycling through demons you're not playing the game ruthlessly enough.

I still remember the first time I played Persona 3 I kept the main character's "story" persona thinking I should keep it, despite the internet telling me the opposite. Too many years of Pokemon Yellow perhaps.

Kade

The Futureshop copies didn't come with a costume dlc code and Atlus hasn't released anything like they did with EOIV right?

No DLC code with mine. With the EOIV stuff do you mean the first print copies with extra stuff? If so, then yeah.

KarmaCow

No DLC code with mine. With the EOIV stuff do you mean the first print copies with extra stuff? If so, then yeah.

Sorry I meant like the QR code stuff like the weapons/armour/items that Atlus and other sites were giving out.

It's probably too early for that since the game isn't officially out but I'd thought I'd ask.

coopolon

I went ahead and started strange journey even though SMT4 is arriving tomorrow from Amazon. So now I probably won't get to SMT4 until late August. Oh well, I'll have to stop reading this thread though to avoid spoilers.

Although maybe I should play SMT4 first. I am getting my ass handed to me in Strange Journey. At least in SMT4 I can save anywhere.

Is this game going to be hard for me, a newcomer to this series? I have only played Pokémon single player and Fire Emblem as far as RPGs go (and Golden Sun).

Midou

Is this game going to be hard for me, a newcomer to this series? I have only played Pokémon single player and Fire Emblem as far as RPGs go (and Golden Sun).

I keep hearing it starts out a little rough but balances out into not being too bad. General rule of recent SMT games seems to be after you gather a few demons of various types, you tend to be able to plow through the game.

Kade

The SMT games are on the harder end of the RPG spectrum but you should be fine as long as you're cognisant of how things work and not reckless. These games like to punish recklessness.

Top Bottom