• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I keep hearing it starts out a little rough but balances out into not being too bad. General rule of recent SMT games seems to be after you gather a few demons of various types, you tend to be able to plow through the game.

I haven't "plowed" through any SMT game, even the easiest ones like Persona 4 and Soul Hackers. There are always parts where you'll get stuck and you'll get your ass handed to you if you aren't prepared.

Is this game going to be hard for me, a newcomer to this series? I have only played Pokémon single player and Fire Emblem as far as RPGs go (and Golden Sun).

Culture shock might be a better way of putting it. You're going to have to think differently than a lot of other games to stay ahead, and you'll have to not be afraid of failure now and again.

The Persona games might be a better intro, but a lot of us would be better suited to answer that question in about twenty-four hours.

I wanted to finish DQ8 by tomorrow but it doesn't look like that's happening...

I'll just go and grab this tomorrow morning from gamestop. Excited!

Jessicat

Man I am really dreading levelling up because I don't want to mess up my stats hahaha. The joys of playing before release I guess...
It's not stats I'm punching myself over, it's stupid spending of my app points x.x get protag/demon skill slots asap people, you will need them! (At least the negotiation item/macca bonuses are nice because I'm flippin' dirt poor still ;>> Why is there no macca gained in battles?)

Volcynika

It's not stats I'm punching myself over, it's stupid spending of my app points x.x get protag/demon skill slots asap people, you will need them! (At least the negotiation item/macca bonuses are nice because I'm flippin' dirt poor still ;>> Why is there no macca gained in battles?)

You think demons just drop money? Crazy!

:p

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
nEi76Xf.png

Awww yea. Come to me SMTIV!

I live in Scarborough as well and my copy still hasn't been shipped. :(

zroid

Banned
Tempted to run out and check my mailbox right now even though my mail usually doesn't arrive till 3ish

aaaaaaaaa so impatient ;-;

Velcro Fly

Delivery Estimate: Monday, July 22, 2013 - Friday, July 26, 2013 by 8:00pm

(ヽ´ω`)

Same here, although Amazon's shipping estimates are usually a day or two off. If mine is coming USPS I'll get it by Saturday, assuming it ships today.

My copy just arrived at a (relatively) close distribution center, meaning it will be at my house early tomorrow morning. I think I'm suddenly coming down with something and will probably have to call out "sick" to work tomorrow.

I went ahead and started strange journey even though SMT4 is arriving tomorrow from Amazon. So now I probably won't get to SMT4 until late August. Oh well, I'll have to stop reading this thread though to avoid spoilers.

Although maybe I should play SMT4 first. I am getting my ass handed to me in Strange Journey. At least in SMT4 I can save anywhere.

Aww man, I'd love it if Atlus remade Strage Journey similarly to how they remade EO1. Make it happen oh great and powerful Atlus.

Etzer

Mine shipped! :)

Question: I've played Persona 3/4 and the first Devil Survivor. How does this one compare in terms of difficulty? I think I remember a huge difficulty spike in Devil Survivor.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Flipping through the book but not actually looking due to spoilers. The quality is really nice! Thick, nice feeling pages, and the binding looks solid. Really impressed.

Mine shipped! :)

Question: I've played Persona 3/4 and the first Devil Survivor. How does this one compare in terms of difficulty? I think I remember a huge difficulty spike in Devil Survivor.

The first dungeon, training segment, is brutal. You will die, a lot. But focus on recruiting demons instead of progressing. The best thing about this dungeon is that it's broken up.

You will die. Be prepared. Save every time you successfully recruit, or level up.

vctor182

I have under the same order PxZ and SMT4 in Amazon, PxZ was shipped 1 day before release date and SMT4 will be shipped on the 18th! What the fuck??
I guess they know i haven't finished PxZ and gave me 2 extra days??

Philthy

Still having a hard time swallowing $200 for this one game. I get my copy tomorrow, but the only other 3DSXLabcdefg games I see worth buying are all more RPGs. If I do that, I know I'll get 1/4th through SMT to play the other one and then get burned out and never finish either of them.

godammitass

Saibastian

Neo Member
I'm kind of worried that amazon hasn't shipped my copy yet, it says delivery estimate for tomorrow, but it's still kind of worrying.

Top Bottom