• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Played about a half hour so far and I'm really digging it. I know it's a bit early. Also really nice to get the eshop credit already.

What should I be putting points into stat wise? Any suggestions?

Necrovex

Its been struggling for the last week. Ever since they announced the Platinum Awards.

I need to stop forgetting to put in those Club Nintendo codes from my Wii/3DS games before I resell them. Thankfully, Fire Emblem Awakening is in my account (I just confirmed it), so I decided to pick up SMT IV when I go see my date later this evening.

Marche90

I feel like I'm (ab)using the 'shoppers, but...

Can someone avatar-ize #35? Thanks.

Also, finally got the money for this, but I still can't buy the game until next month >.> Oh, well, at least I still can get my $30.

Nags

Banned
If by "enjoying" you mean "want to stab in the face repeatedly"... yes?

I have just the avatar for you PlanetSmasher.

tumblr_mq1t7fEazd1so34abo1_250.png

DSGamer

Neo Member
I guess the Souls series has a similar "you vs. the world" tone to it (though at least you get demons to join you in SMT and you can join different factions eventually) but that's about it.

Can you elaborate on that? I love the Souls games. I know this is a completely different game in terms of combat, but if it's similar in other ways I'd be interested.

PK Gaming

Augh it's not good, I can't make an acceptable avatar

So um, I technically asked twice (so I kind of feel bad, thought the first time was in spoilers) Can someone avaterize for me?

Nags

Banned
He plays his role quite well. The part with the
robed men that he hired were kind of a pain and wiped me a few times until I got some Agi.

Yes, word of advice. Do not linger with the same demons for very long at all. Fuse often, recruit often. It is as common (well more common really) than changing your equipment.

Spend those app points in added skill slots for yourself and your demons.

Demons in your stock will also gain some exp so the grind is a bit easier.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I haven't finished FE or started Soul Hackers yet and I couldn't resist picking this one up. Not sure if I should start it though. I kinda want to play Soul Hackers first.

EDIT: Joan of Arc is an SMT demon now? lol

Mupod

Making slow but steady progress into the third strata, I invested very heavily into scouting apps and now I've got all the fodder I can fuse. Plus lots of free macca and items.
Orthrus
didn't even touch me.

Spreading my points evenly across dex,agi and luck so far. When I hit level 9 I have a real nice demon I can fuse which should make things a lot easier.

I'm glad that it's not game over on main character death, I'd have had quite a few of those by now if so...

Soriku

Can you elaborate on that? I love the Souls games. I know this is a completely different game in terms of combat, but if it's similar in other ways I'd be interested.

You're generally alone in both series but have to fight through legions of enemies. I wouldn't say the isolation in SMT is quite the same as Souls as you have demons that tag along with you but it's close.

Edit: What's the DLC menu music?

GeekyDad

About three hours in. Very well balanced so far. Died a few times already. Demons don't play. They get a smirk, rough times ahead. Really dig the pacing so far as well. They dole things out in an even manner. Feels really satisfying when you hit those weak spots. Conversations are pretty much the same as they've always been in these games so far as I can tell -- a complete crap shoot. The UI is better than expected. Lots of handy dandy things they missed in other games. Mido is:

HM4a7by.jpg

He's about that cool.

Overall, having a lot of fun so far. The music during the Challenge Quests was awesome! Excellent sound effects.

Exactly five hours in and just beat the Minotaur and went back to heal. It's probably because I think I'm a little underleveled, but it was a tense fight, with most of my demons dead and Jonathan scoring the killing blow. These mid-battle dialogue choices are a great way to spice up fights and I'd be dead without them.

Too much Strange Journey lately made me forget how harrowing and tense Press Turn is.

Joule

Yes, word of advice. Do not linger with the same demons for very long at all. Fuse often, recruit often. It is as common (well more common really) than changing your equipment.

Spend those app points in added skill slots for yourself and your demons.

Demons in your stock will also gain some exp so the grind is a bit easier.

Yeah I'm no stranger to SMT. I just hadn't recruited anybody with Agi yet and I stumbled into those fights unprepared for them. I had every other element though haha.

I need more app points~

Kind of disappointed to be honest. Mostly the enemies. I knew they were recycled but couldn't they at least re-draw the sprites? These are just ripped from Strange Journey!

Other than that, the game seems pretty fun. I need to play more of it but disappointed that Etrian Odyssey IV took a step forward with re-designed enemies and looked great for it.

Top Bottom