• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

FStop7

Banned
rriS7go.png

Yesss, thank you!

I played for a few hours. I love the music, the dungeon graphics, and Burroughs. I don't care for the still cutscenes or the story/characters so far. I'm willing to give the latter the benefit of the doubt because I've barely started, but I find the traditional LNC alignments dull, and to have them in my face in the first twenty minutes makes for a dull introduction. Anyway, so far I'm investing most of my stat points in agility on the assumption that, whatever else is good, hitting enemies and dodging their attacks is good--especially in press-turn. Very excited to play more tonight.

Kimawolf

So I been playing this and Soul Hackers and I wanna know, the demons sometimes say crazy stuff lol is this a staple of this series? One demon told me she doesn't go out with broke dudes and left the battle lol.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So I been playing this and Soul Hackers and I wanna know, the demons sometimes say crazy stuff lol is this a staple of this series? One demon told me she doesn't go out with broke dudes and left the battle lol.

Yeah, there are demons who say the most random shit ever, lol.

Xenoflare

Thought this would be an interesting story to share.

The cashier girl who worked at my local ebgames today today was pleasantly surprised, apparently this time not only Atlus shipped 30+ copies of the SMTIV, the shipment actually came in one piece (stores around me are infamous of only getting 3-5 copies of games from Atlus frequently), there is almost a cabinet full of it.

Another interesting thing to see for me was that, I arrived at the store at 10AM (Right when it opened), and there was 8 people in the line, all for SMT IV

I'm just very excited to share this, so glad to see some recognition of SMT in real life.

Busaiku

Nice, I'm getting a lot of battery life while playing.
Got 5.75 hours (playing on 4th Brightness, Power Saver off, WiFi on), and that's after playing Animal Crossing New Life for about 45 minutes.
I wager this on its own can go beyond 6 hours if I didn't play Animal Crossing New Leaf to maintain my town.

I never realized demon profiles were in Soul Hackers either, but I'm glad they're much easier to stumble upon in IV. It's a really neat feature.

Yeah, that's a fairly common demon conversation. Female demons refusing to go out with you is right up there with crotchety old demons complaining about the youth of the day in the "most common conversations" category.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

The cashier girl who worked at my local ebgames today today was pleasantly surprised, apparently this time not only Atlus shipped 30+ copies of the SMTIV, the shipment actually came in one piece (stores around me are infamous of only getting 3-5 copies of games from Atlus frequently), there is almost a cabinet full of it.

Another interesting thing to see for me was that, I arrived at the store at 10AM (Right when it opened), and there was 8 people in the line, all for SMT IV

I'm just very excited to share this, so glad to see some recognition of SMT in real life.

That's very good to hear. Let's hope SMTIV pulls off a FE Awakening!

Soriku

Cool, hope the remix is good.

Nice.

Gotchaye

Bought the game because of the e-shop credit (and because some of the other mods won't shut up about it). Never played a SMT game before. It's neat, even if all the characters are jerks.

I really like how the game is very fast; with the notable exception of trying to heal up after a battle I don't ever find myself fighting with menus. I'm in over my head with the skill system - if I don't swap out a skill when a demon suggests it, do I get another chance later?

And I keep hearing "princesses" whenever someone says "prentices".

Come on folks. Someone had to rep dat sweet Cybele avatar

I will.

Thanks Lissar!!!

EDIT: Am I the only one who would actually be okay with chibi demons somewhere in a SMT or Persona game? Perhaps in a bonus (joke) dungeon? These are the coolest things ever...

(And I hope Newegg doesn't crush my SMT box - it is on schedule to arrive tomorrow).

Mupod

I really like how the game is very fast; with the notable exception of trying to heal up after a battle I don't ever find myself fighting with menus. I'm in over my head with the skill system - if I don't swap out a skill when a demon suggests it, do I get another chance later

It's random. You can always fuse the demon away, recruit a new one of the same type, and try leveling him up to see if he does it again but it's unlikely he'll want to swap to the same skill even if it comes up.

edit: Oh, I thought you were talking about when demons are asking whether they should change one of their skills to something new. You'll get plenty of chances to swap out skills for your protagonist and it's quite easy to do, like I said just level up a new demon.

The thing i'm curious about is leveling up the protagonist's skills - say for example I've got critical wave+2, if I drop that and then pick it up again later will it still be +2? It doesn't seem to make that big of a difference either way but I'd imagine this becomes important later on.

I will.

Thanks Lissar!!!

EDIT: Am I the only one who would actually be okay with chibi demons somewhere in a SMT or Persona game? Perhaps in a bonus (joke) dungeon? These are the coolest things ever...

(And I hope Newegg doesn't crush my SMT box - it is on schedule to arrive tomorrow).

Like Demikids, but not hideous?

Nags

Banned
Bought the game because of the e-shop credit (and because some of the other mods won't shut up about it). Never played a SMT game before. It's neat, even if all the characters are jerks.

I really like how the game is very fast; with the notable exception of trying to heal up after a battle I don't ever find myself fighting with menus. I'm in over my head with the skill system - if I don't swap out a skill when a demon suggests it, do I get another chance later?

And I keep hearing "princesses" whenever someone says "prentices".

The demons will teach you their skills only once but many skills are shared by many demons. If you already have a skill that the demon can pass on it will be enhanced slightly and automatically. But make sure to look out for the next tiers of skills.

Spend those app points in increasing skill slots for yourself and your demons first.

Weiss

Banned
Played for ten minutes, recruited my first demon, and then was immediately killed on the second fight.

It's good to have you back, Shin Megami Tensei.

Also, if at all possible, could I take the Shiva avatar (#29)?

Sera O

Banned
Can someone who has used the EB Games DLC code let me know what its properties are? I've been trying to go back through the thread but it's moving really fast with all the avatar stuff. Thanks!

Top Bottom