• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Picked up a copy at Gamestop on the way home. They had 2 left, one pre-ordered and one available for regular sale. Happy I waited to get it at the store instead of the e-shop due to the equal price; the strategy and design book is a lot larger than I thought it would be.

I also already redeemed my 30 bucks from Club Nintendo. I thought there would be a waiting period, so it was a nice surprise that I could get it so quickly.

First SMT game outside of Strange Journey; looking forward to diving in.

So, as someone with no SMT/Persona experience I really would like to try this game (especially with the $30 rebate and FExSMT being a thing), but I can't get over the main protagonists looking like absolute shit. The faces, the hair...at first glance they're some of the hideous game protagonists I've ever laid eyes on.

Can someone convince me that these characters are actually so awesome that their ugliness is negated? Or that the game is so good that none of this even matters?

I've spent the last hour or so fusing like crazy. It usually takes me until about 1/2 way into a SMT game to adopt any real strategy for fusing beyond, "ooh, that looks cool." I'll see if I can do better this time.

I still dislike demon negotiation and wish it weren't random.

Poyunch

Still in the early game but I'm lost. Can anyone help me find
Navarre
?
I'm in the third sanctum but I can't seem to find a way past the poison.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I picked up my copy today also got Soul Hackers. Figured I'd support Atlus while their Japanese division is dealing with their legal issues.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So, as someone with no SMT/Persona experience I really would like to try this game (especially with the $30 rebate and FExSMT being a thing), but I can't get over the main protagonists looking like absolute shit. The faces, the hair...at first glance they're some of the hideous game protagonists I've ever laid eyes on.

Can someone convince me that these characters are actually so awesome that their ugliness is negated? Or that the game is so good that none of this even matters?

What is this shit?

Played about 2 hours so far. Not too bad. Not really feeling the full "wow" of SMT yet though. The introduction so far is definitely more "casual" than SMT3 and SJ in terms of both presentation and accessibility. They clearly want to ease people into the game instead of throwing players into a weird experience right off the bat. Oh well.

This was my initial impression as well. "This doesn't quite feel like an SMT just yet."

The beginning of the game really is unlike anything other part of SMT IV.

I've spent the last hour or so fusing like crazy. It usually takes me until about 1/2 way into a SMT game to adopt any real strategy for fusing beyond, "ooh, that looks cool." I'll see if I can do better this time.

I still dislike demon negotiation and wish it weren't random.

Fusing is addicting in this game, and I've never felt any real connection to it in the past. All of the categories make tweaking demons a lot easier; it feels closer to customization rather than just randomizing the results every time until I eventually get something half-decent.

Emitan

Navarre
?

Walk through it. You can open a shortcut to bypass it by destroying a wall once you've already made it past that section.

Navarre
?

Move through it and then take a right. You'll unlock a passage so you can bypass the poison on return trips.

I can't tell you much about the characters (having just started the game today), but the SMT games generally are so good that weaker characters would not be a deal-breaker. Do you like turn-based battles? Because SMT4 features the press-turn system, which is pretty much the best turn-based battle system this side of Valkyria Chronicles (or other strategy RPGs). Do you like collecting and raising pokémon? Well how about recruiting and training mythological gods and monsters from every pantheon on earth? SMT generally has more interesting worlds and stories than Pokémon, but like Pokémon, the main attraction is the gameplay - not the story. If you're a fan of challenging RPGs that reward you for thoughtful party planning, then you should absolutely not miss SMT4 just because you don't like the character designs.

Emitan

I'm letting my 3DS charge for now and taking a break.

I feel like my victories over bosses have been relying on the RNG. The latest boss I defeated has an attack that seems to hit 1-5 times and if it hits the full 5 times it is capable of killing anyone in one hit. I basically have to keep resetting until this doesn't happen. Also in this particular case
they can remove buffs from my party so increasing my defense doesn't help

Sitting here with the game unopened, not sure if I should even bother. I'm very much interested in the series, I just don't know if it's for me. Never tried SMT before, but I got it as a gift for the 30 dollar eshop credit. I'd rather return it to them(they said it was fine) instead of wasting their money, so I'm mulling it over.

Decisions. Anyways, anyone here have an Amazon code they don't want? Willing to trade a steam game or something else for it. Something from the steam sales, perhaps. I hate missing out on the pre-order DLC if I do decide to keep it.

Napaea knocked me down to 10HP before I could recruit her. I'm grateful that this was my first attempt, because I'm pretty sure that would've been my only one on that life.

Artorias

Banned
Got my copy. Pretty smashed up because Amazon loves their bubble mailers sometimes. Yet, Animal Crossing came in a box.

I wish I could pay extra for proper packaging sometimes. It seems to be the same shipping centers who use bubble mailers with boxed items.

Infinite

Yea I was expecting her to be the Pixie equivalent, easing people into the game but nope.

She just wants to slap you.

Yeah that one took me the longest early on, and probably the longest of any so far. Then I got another one pretty easily...

She is a bitch, no matter what I do, I can never pick the right responses to get her to join.

I just got her to join my squad. I didn't know that demons at a higher level won't join you. I tried to get wilder charger to join, he cleaned me out and then said "nope" I got so mad I almost reseted.

Nags

Banned

You should buy the game and try it. It's right up your alley.

Time for my second go at
Medusa
after I shower. Fused Kaso to replace Knocker and got some
Elec
resistant armor so hopefully it'll go much smoother this time around.

Yuterald

Anyone think the quest "Complete" message feels a bit out of place? Game feels so dark and creepy down in the depths of the first dungeon, but then all of a sudden Burroughs will pop up and give you notice for completing a quest. It's just kind of funny looking/feeling, I don't know. Maybe if the "Complete" font didn't look so bouncy and shiny when it pops up, lol!

Also, what's up with that second track that plays in the tutorial dungeon? Pretty boss.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I just got her to join my squad. I didn't know that demons at a higher level won't join you. I tried to get wilder charger to join, he cleaned me out and then said "nope" I got so mad I almost reseted.

I reset after losing all my money. Got her to join me on the first attempt, haha.

Bleep

I picked up my copy today also got Soul Hackers. Figured I'd support Atlus while their Japanese division is dealing with their legal issues.

Index are horribly corrupt, the best thing to happen will be if the Atlus developers are somehow bought by another publisher. Index do not need support! They are really, really terrible. Buy games because you want to play them!

Hey Amazon, anything that has "collectors edition" or "limited edition" in it's title should not be sent in a bubble wrap envelope. Especially to paying Prime members.

Top Bottom