• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Alright, I'm about to throw my 3DS at the wall. The Wendigo battle
on level 3 of Naraku, when Jonathan joins you
keeps kicking my ass, and I can't seem to get through it.

How can I get more Macca? I can only get 10 or so per battle with Fundraising, and no Relics are spawning. I'm over a thousand in the hole to Charon, so if I lose I have to do basically half an hour of the dungeon all over again.

Wendigo is
weak to lightning, spam zio

In the first few hours, really the only way to get Macca is to just complete the quests.

ohlawd

Got two copies mwuahahah.

One to play with, the other to pleasure myself with. Wait, what's the difference?

Been playing for about an hour or so. Burroughs is my waifu, just sayin'.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Alright, I'm about to throw my 3DS at the wall. The Wendigo battle
on level 3 of Naraku, when Jonathan joins you
keeps kicking my ass, and I can't seem to get through it.

How can I get more Macca? I can only get 10 or so per battle with Fundraising, and no Relics are spawning. I'm over a thousand in the hole to Charon, so if I lose I have to do basically half an hour of the dungeon all over again.

Have you tried fusing? There's a demon available through fusion that nullifies the Wendigo's mabufu so it becomes much easier to beat.

For money, try to sell some of your shit.

Wendigo is
weak to lightning, spam zio

In the first few hours, really the only way to get Macca is to just complete the quests.

Aw crap. I don't have any demons with that element. This is going to be tough.

EDIT: I just died again and Charon offered to take my Play Coins instead of giving me an instant game over. Whew.

Aw crap. I don't have any demons with that element. This is going to be tough.

EDIT: I just died again and Charon offered to take my Play Coins instead of giving me an instant game over. Whew.

You could go find some demons with that skill. There's a ton of them, some of them pretty easy to convince to join.

Also, soft resets are your friend. Charon is a pretty cool dude, but save-anywhere is key.

---

Walter's impression of Isabeau was chuckle worthy. I like the voice acting a lot.

Aeana

Oh, I have a question. When you don the gauntlet at the beginning of the game,
it lights up and somebody says something like "oh, look, it's the mystic script!" but what's written on the gauntlet is obviously Japanese, or at least it's kanji. What does it say?

It says
"認証完了" (authentication complete).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Probably answered already but bullets are hella expensive :/ I'm pretty sure AGI is still both accuracy and evasion in one stat.

Also, I was under the impression that STR affects normal attack and any physical attacks you learn from demons, while DEX affects gun attack and any projectile attacks you learn...am I wrong? D: [my DEX is like, 8, hahaha, I only gun to hit weaknesses XD]

It seems like DEX affects physical skills in a much greater degree than STR, to the point where many people on the Internet on various places I've been looking say that STR is actually the throwaway stat in this game.

Eusis

Yeah that one took me the longest early on, and probably the longest of any so far. Then I got another one pretty easily...
I got her on my first try. Now Mokoi, that one's a motherfucker.

Anyways I was relatively lucky and only had a minor dent on the corner of my box! Exasperating how Amazon keeps doing that thought. I also kinda hoped there was more in the case, but we didn't even get a fold out like Soul Hackers did! Though with that strategy guide it's almost an Earthbound scenario anyway for at least those of us who got it day one. Liking the game so far, even if it murdered me initially post-Napaea recruit until I died, didn't come back, THEN recruited some other demons and managed to break the ice. Like I said Mokoi's a motherfucker.

TriAceJP

I am a few hours in, loving it so far.

It's nice how early you can use the fusion command, and can use it pretty much any time you want. I know what I will be doing for the majority of the game...

Avoiding recruiting buttfuck terribad non-Kaneko demons is not recommended...

Will I look like a wuss to JRPG gaf?

It's not our respect that would be in danger here, it's your self-respect! Rise above Chicken Out Buttons!

Played for a few hours and I'm liking it quite a bit. The only demon that hasn't joined me is Mokoi who responded with "Are you some kind of demon pimp?...Police!" when I told it that it would be able to meet a lot of female demons on my last attempt. : <

Mine said "You think I'm that desperate to meet chicks?!? ......You're right. I'm Night Mokoi, glad to meet ya!"

NeonZ

Huh... the DLC is all listed as "expired" here and I can't download any of it. Is that normal?

Edit: Just figured it out. For some reason, the DLC is region locked out of Brazil, even though the game itself isn't. Probably Atlus messing something up. Either way, I could download it through the Canadian store.

GeekyDad

Oh,
Stephen
, you sweet sugar daddy. Talk about showing up at just the right time. Made finishing up that little
Domain
a whole lot easier. I guess that was the first official boss after that.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Index are horribly corrupt, the best thing to happen will be if the Atlus developers are somehow bought by another publisher. Index do not need support! They are really, really terrible. Buy games because you want to play them!

I played Strange Journey and missed Soul Hackers. Plus it looked pretty good with "the cyber hacker meets SMT". It's going to be played after SMTIV. It took forever to download (Soul Hackers) it was about an hour or longer. I used my $30 credit already.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I see why you had an easy time.

You went with easy dialogue options. You chose you're one of his class, which makes him miss a turn.

In other words, you cheated. :p

Ohhhh! I actually did haha. I had no idea that changed anything hahaha. But still he was an easy kill. Can't wait until you meet the first boss! You'll love him! He's cuddly and fun and totally doesn't have 4X the HP of the strongest monster available!

Stoof

This game is sooooooo good. It's still fun even if I die, though it's nice to go through a lot of battles without losing health too :p

Anteo

I'll be joining you guys tomorrow! I just got the mail confirming that I can use the promotion too. (My FE digital copy was not registered to my CN account)

Hyped and kind of scared as I have not played any SMT game before. Going in blind really but it worked out nicely for EO. Plus it gives me a excuse to get another game later.

Edit: Wait the release date is TODAY? So I'm not even late to this party! Great

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Oh,
Stephen
, you sweet sugar daddy. Talk about showing up at just the right time. Made finishing up that little
Domain
a whole lot easier. I guess that was the first official boss after that.

Oh no. Not at all. I literally smoked the entire Naraku experience, thinking the game was a slightly watered down experience until the first real boss. He's a monster. You'll know when it's the time.

Mozendo

Been playing for about an hour or so. Burroughs is my waifu, just sayin'.

Ugh, her voice is so amazing. Honestly my favorite voice in a video game by far since her voice is so perfect.

Anywho, went to best buy and snagged the last copy, hung out with my friend and he let me play on his 3DS since I currently have none, and the game is great.

Negotiations as mentioned are hilarious. One demon even called me a pimp and ran off scarred. Visuals are amazing, and even though the game has some of the features "casualized" the game is still difficult which is was something I was concerned about.

The physical critical kills always made me chuckle.

Also I decided to use my headphones and the audio was unbelievably low. The 3DS XL speakers produced higher volumes than my AKG 240s. Is the 3DS known for this or is this the game's fault?

Can't wait to play more on thursday!

Mupod

Fuck you, Wu Kong. I was so confident in my phys-based team.

Still no match for my sukukaja/sukunda bullshit, just ended up being super tedious. Seems like buffs/debuffs stack 3 times in this one.

Also I decided to use my headphones and the audio was unbelievably low. The 3DS XL speakers produced higher volumes than my AKG 240s. Is the 3DS known for this or is this the game's fault?

You might need an amp, I'm not familiar with those headphones but even my koss portapros only get to 'just right' volume with most games cranked.

For some reason this game is loud as HELL with speakers, which I guess is why it starts off with the volume turned down in options by default. Specifically, Burroughs' voice when announcing collection quest progress is insanely loud.

Basically BOSS SPOILER
Minotaur
and
Medusa
are the real tests for new players. Both bosses gave me a little bit of a beating, and they both require understanding of how to play the game.

This is fun to watch. Hahaha.

Also my "Yeah this is SMT" moment came early on when I negotiated with a demon for a while, gave it money and items, and then had it promptly flee from battle.

Damn you, SMT. Damn you.

CSX

Atlus : Yo we gonna give some free dlc equipment for early buyers to help in the beginning of the game.

*downloads DLC*

*needs 30 Life stones to get complete armor set*

knew it was too good to be true :p

By the time i get those life stones, that armor will probably be outdated

Atlus : Yo we gonna give some free dlc equipment for early buyers to help in the beginning of the game.

*downloads DLC*

Naw man, life stones fall out of your ears within two hours. I've got like 70 of them and I'm four hours in.

Mupod

*downloads DLC*

the white samurai stuff is awesome and well worth it. But I invested heavily in scouting apps so I have more life stones than I know what to do with.

I like when demons ask me for a life stone then give it right back to me when they join.

Wrath

Neo Member
Damn staffing agency really had to call the same day I got this game. Even though it's summer vacation, I'm willing to work, but why now, and 12 hour shifts no less. Oh well, life.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I despise everyone who currently has the game.

I always think of her as Estelle from Tales of Vesperia, first and foremost.

Ooooh Isabeau is Estelle?

No wonder I found her voice to be incredibly soothing...

Lightning's voice is so awesomely soothing too. "Did you get all that?" "Yes my lovely."

Top Bottom