• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Gattuso

Some of these demons hit pretty hard, i already died once. i decided to recruit Centaur, Napaea, and Mokoi. I got them all on the first try except Centaur.

thetechkid

Hey Amazon, anything that has "collectors edition" or "limited edition" in it's title should not be sent in a bubble wrap envelope. Especially to paying Prime members.

Mine just came in and the envelope was have opened and the box had a few dents.

Anyone have one of the pre-order codes they aren't using? I will not do business with Gamestop and do not live in Canada. I'd gladly use a code someone just plain doesn't want.

You never know/It doesn't hurt to ask.

The game is pretty slick so far. It makes me ache for a Nocturne port, though.

Rocking a Centaur, Mokoi, and Griffin right now.

I was exploring the first dungeon a bit to map it some more and
I jumped down the hole to B2F thinking it would be easy to jump back up. Nope.
Trying to find my way back I hit the group of ghoulies in front of a chest and wiped.

Sera O

Banned
I just picked my pre-order up at EB. I can see why people had problems with the bubble-mailing delivery. This box is so flimsy it's like the top of the box is waiting to cave in under the slightest pressure.

I'm pretty damn excited to get home and start playing.

Volcynika

"Hey this armor looks cool. It's weak to fire though. This probably isn't a great decision, but it looks cool!"

*turns out to be a bad decision*

Fuxi: If I travel with you, where will we go?

>>>>The mountains

Fuxi: So you can toss me over a cliff? Bye.

*Fuxi flees*

Me: ....

Fuxi, you have wings.

rugioh

Banned
Good god. Second tutorial fight. Negotiate.

Denied. Dead.

I died at least 5 times in the tutorial dungeon ahhaha. The game definately teaches you to save early!!! One thing I don't get is how are randomized encounters calculated? There are times I'm running and a demon spawns right under me outta nowhere

epmode

Ugh, Amazon sent me this in an envelope... a fucking envelope. And of course the box is all beat up.

This is happening to a lot of people, including myself. I think they assumed that the game would come in a regular plastic 3DS case instead of a cardboard box.

I just bought the game at Best Buy and opened a return with Amazon.

Picked up my copy earlier and am about 3 hours in, just
rescued Navarre from the Naraku.
Game is really amazing, the production quality is just outstanding. Already set the difficulty to easy because I am terrible at JRPGs and am finding it to be just the right amount of challenge. The White Samurai armor that is free DLC right now is also helping quite a bit.

The sheer amount of resets is going to catapult this game to the top of the 'X times played' chart. Fighting
Medusa
is starting to make me worry that buffs/debuffs aren't very effective in this game, as I'm getting crushed equally with or without them.

Anyone think the quest "Complete" message feels a bit out of place? Game feels so dark and creepy down in the depths of the first dungeon, but then all of a sudden Burroughs will pop up and give you notice for completing a quest. It's just kind of funny looking/feeling, I don't know. Maybe if the "Complete" font didn't look so bouncy and shiny when it pops up, lol!

Heh, I have the same issue, and I think it's because of that font. It's not Comic Sans-level bad but it still feels out of place.

LProtag

I guess I'm going to avoid doing side-quests then so I can hopefully get on neutral path.

I feel like I have a pretty boring skill line up, but I feel like it's needed. Single target version of every basic spell and a healing spell. I figure I can't go wrong with a Ma>Ag>Lu build with that kind of versatility.

By the way, is there any way to reorder your skill list?

Midou

Picked up my copy earlier and am about 3 hours in, just
rescued Navarre from the Naraku.
Game is really amazing, the production quality is just outstanding. Already set the difficulty to easy because I am terrible at JRPGs and am finding it to be just the right amount of challenge. The White Samurai armor that is free DLC right now is also helping quite a bit.

Hell yeah, the 2D actually looks great and the way enemies animate and react to different skills is way more effort than I was expecting. When you talk to them and it zooms in on that higher resolution art, it looks damn nice.

I just did the part from your spoiler and the whole scene made the characters grow on me a lot more.

Jessicat

So how are guns? Are they annoying to use? Can't decide how to level up my MC yet...I've just been pouring points into STR.

Also, does AGI affect my hit rate? The text says it affects evasion, but makes no mention of hit rate.
Probably answered already but bullets are hella expensive :/ I'm pretty sure AGI is still both accuracy and evasion in one stat.

Also, I was under the impression that STR affects normal attack and any physical attacks you learn from demons, while DEX affects gun attack and any projectile attacks you learn...am I wrong? D: [my DEX is like, 8, hahaha, I only gun to hit weaknesses XD]

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I have no money.

He always attacks for me. He does fog breath, and then he does multi party crit.

He never even had a chance to attack me, so I don't know his attacks. It was like I was toying with an ant. But the first actual boss that is next for you? He utterly annihilated me. I felt like I'd never beat him. And that's a powered up version of the party who murdered the guy who is causing you trouble. Just to warn you haha. This game is seriously evil at times.

First (major?) boss spoilers

Minotaur
is wrecking me. And I thought some of the earlier fights were tough.

AI Jonathan killed him with a Bufu, when I had ONE demon left with 15 HP. That fight was awesome. But such a brick wall. I say must people won't finish this guy, and I truly mean it.

Oh, I have a question. When you don the gauntlet at the beginning of the game,
it lights up and somebody says something like "oh, look, it's the mystic script!" but what's written on the gauntlet is obviously Japanese, or at least it's kanji. What does it say?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Oh, I have a question. When you don the gauntlet at the beginning of the game,
it lights up and somebody says something like "oh, look, it's the mystic script!" but what's written on the gauntlet is obviously Japanese, or at least it's kanji. What does it say?

Mara

Castcoder

Banned
I picked my copy up today from GameStop, but I'm at the mercy of Nintendo to give me back my 3DS from their repair service. Damn OS crashed on me, and I had to pay $64 to get it repaired because it was a launch 3DS. It's been about 10 days since I sent my 3DS in, too.

Probably won't be able to play this until Thursday or Friday, since they completed and shipped my 3DS back on Monday.

Beats

Played for a few hours and I'm liking it quite a bit. The only demon that hasn't joined me is Mokoi who responded with "Are you some kind of demon pimp?...Police!" when I told it that it would be able to meet a lot of female demons on my last attempt. : <

I like the presentation a lot. The way the portraits pop in and out during conversations, and the way the 2d battles animate makes it feel fairly dynamic. After playing Soul Hackers and this for a bit, I'm starting to prefer the first person 2d battles, but I think it might be because of the speed.

Guess I was overthinking
Medusa
, who I just beat by spamming
Zan
. Still got a while to go tonight, looking forward to it.

Alright, I'm about to throw my 3DS at the wall. The Wendigo battle
on level 3 of Naraku, when Jonathan joins you
keeps kicking my ass, and I can't seem to get through it.

How can I get more Macca? I can only get 10 or so per battle with Fundraising, and no Relics are spawning. I'm over a thousand in the hole to Charon, so if I lose I have to do basically half an hour of the dungeon all over again.

Top Bottom