• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Really? They sound so similar to me.
Same, I think one of them also did the voice for Shoko in Liberation Maiden but I can't tell which.

Used to really hate Estelle's english voice but it's grown on me a lot so I pretty happy with Eden as a replacement for Miyuki Sawashiro.

I must say one of my favorite touches is how, every once in a while when you open the menu, the MC says "Burroughs". I don't know why, but I just think it is awesome.

cj_iwakura

A random demon joined me instead of one that was too high level.

It's like they keep making negotiation better with each incarnation, and I thought Raidou 2 had done it all.

Mupod

A random demon joined me instead of one that was too high level.

It's like they keep making negotiation better with each incarnation, and I thought Raidou 2 had done it all.

Weirdest series of events was when a demon begged for mercy when I was just rushing the group down, but I already had one of those in stock so he introduced me to his friend who was a demon I didn't own yet.

Stoof

Why is Chagrin such a pain in the ass. -_- I've probably talked to 10 different ones and haven't allied one of them.

EDIT: ...And then the next one joins me for free. Alrighty then.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really struggling deciding how to distribute my stat points. >_<

Was going to go STR but then I found out STR sucks. I really wonder if people are exaggerating.

Mozendo

You might need an amp, I'm not familiar with those headphones but even my koss portapros only get to 'just right' volume with most games cranked.

For some reason this game is loud as HELL with speakers, which I guess is why it starts off with the volume turned down in options by default. Specifically, Burroughs' voice when announcing collection quest progress is insanely loud.
Oh, drats. D:
That's weird since this isn't even an amp reliant headphone, but I was planning to get an amp anyways.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Nope. It's Eden Riegel, better known as Sherry in Resident Evil 6 and Marie in Persona 4 Golden.

Ah, knew she sounded similar.

Now Izzy needs to call me a STUPIDLOSERJERKFACE

Navarre is a dong, where's my option to punch him in the face?

GeekyDad

I'm really struggling deciding how to distribute my stat points. >_<

Was going to go STR but then I found out STR sucks. I really wonder if people are exaggerating.

Be the first to experiment with it. If you're referring to what can be read on the GF forums, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what's said there. The game just came out, and the most vocal folks over there aren't the folks who played the JP version. I don't know if you can expect to get out of a physical build what perhaps you could from a game like Nocturne, but I doubt you'll get stuck in limbo if you keep your build focused.

TheExodu5

Banned
Be the first to experiment with it. If you're referring to what can be read on the GF forums, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what's said there. The game just came out, and the most vocal folks over there aren't the folks who played the JP version. I don't know if you can expect to get out of a physical build what perhaps you could from a game like Nocturne, but I doubt you'll get stuck in limbo if you keep your build focused.

Sounds like a plan. You've convinced me. I guess I'll go 2Str/1dex/1agi/1luck. Or maybe 2str/2dex/1agi.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Finally cracked open the book to look through some of the initial pages.

I actually prefer all the original designs to the current ones (except MC still has weird bangs). I feel a little sad the characters don't look like that now.

StatsChu

Neo Member
The artwork in this game so far... amazing. Even more so with the 3D turned on.

Ugh, but I have to beat PxZ first. Fun game, but those later chapters are rather long.

I'm kind of starting to wonder if my game is defective or something. I fell through the floor in Naraku 3 times and had to completely reload each time. The environment background keeps flashing in and out as well at times. Hope it's not something that keeps happening further in the game.

Gambit61

Now I understand why you guys were dying on the tutorial. These monsters hit like trucks Lol. 45 minutes in and I've already died.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got 3 hours with this game.

Can't say I like it as much as DDS, Devil Survivor, and Nocturne (my absolute favorite).

I hope things change, but for fucks sake I want strategy in a fight not just random instances where they decimate you with a surprise attack followed by crits. Surprise mini bosses out of nowhere piss me off too.

I want my long drawn out battles of wits and endurance where the skills and demons you picked before and meticulously raised shine.

Nothing is as satisfying as having a perfect build and team that blocks enemy attacks and allows you to destroy any opposition.

And so far, the MCs in the three games I mentioned > this guy.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Now I understand why you guys were dying on the tutorial. These monsters hit like trucks Lol. 45 minutes in and I've already died.

I got one shotted so many times. I wasn't even weak to the attack that hit me. I was going to say my armor must be made of wet paper, but then I remembered at that point my armor was LITERALLY PAPER.

At least MC death doesn't equal game over.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sounds like a plan. You've convinced me. I guess I'll go 2Str/1dex/1agi/1luck. Or maybe 2str/2dex/1agi.

You planning to go physical?

Hmmmmmmmm. Everywhere I go people seem to recommend Magic but to tell you the truth I want to go physical first.

Are you far in the game already? Alright, I will reset my game and go physical too. I am planning to go 2 Dex/2 Agi/1 Str. If we can compare notes as to how we proceed through the game I think it would be interesting :)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Question time: Luck. If I am pretty much a magic user...what's the benefit? I am in
Tokyo
right now and put 0 points in it. Mistake?

RedSwirl

I think I'm going to get this game pretty soon because of the eShop deal and because I have a gift card, but the thing is, I was interested in playing the previous main SMT games.

I've been very interested in getting around to playing translated ROMs of the first two SMT games and maybe even tracking down Nocturne. Would those still be good games to seek out and play even after playing SMTIV. Same goes for Strange Journey. I've had sort of a taste for first person dungeon crawlers since Grimrock.

GeekyDad

I'm kind of starting to wonder if my game is defective or something. I fell through the floor in Naraku 3 times and had to completely reload each time. The environment background keeps flashing in and out as well at times. Hope it's not something that keeps happening further in the game.

Coulda sworn at least one review mentioned some issues with collision/no-clipping. Can't remember which, but you may have triggered some gremlins. Are you far into the game yet? Perhaps restarting might help, or completely wiping the save data and starting fresh.

All the UI love makes me happy.

So sexy.

Yeah, they're getting a lot better with this stuff now. Very functional. Not a huge fan of that "bloop" sound it makes, though, when backing out of sub-menus. It's kinda harsh.

PK Gaming

I must say one of my favorite touches is how, every once in a while when you open the menu, the MC says "Burroughs". I don't know why, but I just think it is awesome.

Oh my god, I thought I was the only one!

Sometimes after defeating a really tough boss, he'll say it for me.

I love it when the universe aligns, haha.

I think I'm going to get this game pretty soon because of the eShop deal and because I have a gift card, but the thing is, I was interested in playing the previous main SMT games.

I've been very interested in getting around to playing translated ROMs of the first two SMT games and maybe even tracking down Nocturne. Would those still be good games to seek out and play even after playing SMTIV. Same goes for Strange Journey. I've had sort of a taste for first person dungeon crawlers since Grimrock.

I'd say that the other SMT games are still worth playing after IV, yeah. They're going to be pretty different though. Even the mainline games have an individual feel to each.

bakeray

Thought I was mad about getting my copy in a bubble mailer but after seeing some of your guys pics I guess I feel happy, the damage to mine is just one corner. First time I've ever had faulty packaging from Amazon.

duckroll

Regarding the UI, I still don't think the functionality is that great. I was messing around with demon fusion for example, and I've accidentally triggered a fusion before on the "recommended" page while trying to get it to allow me to change skill inheritance. The selections aren't that intuitive and takes some getting used to in terms of function navigation.

Also, once again, WHY isn't there an option to change the sound settings while playing the game? That's so weird.

yami4ct

Gotten to play a little of this. I got up to the first mini-boss. My thoughts so far.

I really like the world they're building. Seems like there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. The mixture of Japanese and medieval European culture is fascinating and gives the game a unique style.

Was weird going back to first person battles at first, but I got used to it quickly. Sprites look strange in 3D mode, but it's not in a bad way. Again, a very unique style. I quite enjoy it. Creature design so far is really cool as well. Typical SMT with a bit of a twist.

All the voice acting is a hugely welcome change. It's all really well acted too. Typically high quality Atlus dub. It's far more interesting when the dialogue gets voiced than just leaving it a text like it was in SMT III. I didn't expect so much of it. Welcome surprise.

The biggest thing I'm really liking is the small tweaks to the dungeon crawling. Switching from pure random encounters like SMT 3 to a Persona style of enemies on map is very welcome. Makes the random fight rate much more bearable as you can just choose to fight or not. I also really like the aesthetic of the map enemies.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it so far. Hope this keeps up. My only complaint so far is only 2 save slots. Really? Makes it way harder to setup saves to redo the endings with little effort. Seems like something you could probably get around on the digital version with save backup, but the limit is far too low. I wish games just let me make as many saves as I want on an SD card. I get that there's limited space on a cartridge, but the 3DS comes with an SD card. No reason they can't use that for saves.

Oh, I got mine in a full packing from Amazon. I got it shipped with another small item, so that may be the reason. If you want to make sure of getting a box, you might want to give ordering something else small to ship with it. Game package is in perfect condition.

Okay, so I bought it.

Is it recommended I give the main dude his default name? Because if this is the only time I have to name anyone I'll just name him "Rawk" or something, but if I'm expected to name everyone I'd rather just stick with the presets.

Coulda sworn at least one review mentioned some issues with collision/no-clipping. Can't remember which, but you may have triggered some gremlins. Are you far into the game yet? Perhaps restarting might help, or completely wiping the save data and starting fresh.

Yeah, they're getting a lot better with this stuff now. Very functional. Not a huge fan of that "bloop" sound it makes, though, when backing out of sub-menus. It's kinda harsh.

Not really that far yet, like 2 hours or so. can start a new save and see if it fixes it I guess. Mostly just hope I don't end up having to return it for a new copy since that's kind of a pain in the butt.

Just played the first hour or so and fought my first couple of battles. Wow, the setting for this game was totally not what I was expecting. That FMV at the beginning when the camera pans out to show the grand castle kingdom and the music accompanying it was awe inspiring (and kinda creepy). I was expecting it to take place entirely in burnt out wastelands of post apocalyptic Tokyo. Oh well, consider me pleasantly surprised and quite glad I didn't read up on the game. Voice acting and world setting is so good and immediately has my interest.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Okay, so I bought it.

Is it recommended I give the main dude his default name? Because if this is the only time I have to name anyone I'll just name him "Rawk" or something, but if I'm expected to name everyone I'd rather just stick with the presets.

You only name the protagonist.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I hope Yuri Lowenthal or JYB isn't anywhere near this game.

Because I am rather sick already hearing them everywhere, especially the latter.

yami4ct

I hope Yuri Lowenthal or JYB isn't anywhere near this game.

Because I am rather sick already hearing them everywhere, especially the latter.

I'm still fine with JYB, as long as he isn't the main voiced role. Yuri Lowenthal, though, I need a break from. I don't hate his voice or anything, I've just heard it too much.

Mononoke

Banned
Kind of bummed the digital version if $49. =/

I mean, the physical version has so much stuff with it, that it seems like robbery to pay $50 for a digital version with nothing. I purposely bought a fat memory card, as I planned on going all digital for my 3DS. But I'm really considering just buying the physical, given it's the same price and with more stuff.

Bleh.

yami4ct

Kind of bummed the digital version if $49. =/

I mean, the physical version has so much stuff with it, that it seems like robbery to pay $50 for a digital version with nothing. I purposely bought a fat memory card, as I planned on going all digital for my 3DS. But I'm really considering just buying the physical, given it's the same price and with more stuff.

Bleh.

If you're truly going all digital, just leave SMT in your game slot forever and you'll never know the difference.

So far, physical games going on sale and the extra stuff has led me to buying both EOIV and SMTIV Physically. The rest is all digital. After living that lifestyle on handheld, not sure I'd want to go back. So nice to be able to boot up any game on demand.

Top Bottom