• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Stoof

Ugh, did
Jonathan
really show up to make my life a living hell? They're nul to ice you moron, stop giving them more attacks. :/

Yeah the Demon Negotiations are going poorly lol.

The little gerbil thing is hilliariously a sociopath in that no mater my answer he wants to fuck my shit up.

"hi old man"

"oh you are old?"

" I've always wanted to beat up an old guy..."

the only times I have died have been due to failed negotiations.

why are they so meeeeaaan? I just wanna go on an adventure guys.

;_;

Mononoke

Banned
If you're truly going all digital, just leave SMT in your game slot forever and you'll never know the difference.

So far, physical games going on sale and the extra stuff has led me to buying both EOIV and SMTIV Physically. The rest is all digital. After living that lifestyle on handheld, not sure I'd want to go back. So nice to be able to boot up any game on demand.

Yeah, that's how I feel about digital. I really do love it. It's also awesome literally having a system with all your games on the go.

But I can't justify digital for $49. Just seems dumb.

Just claimed my eShop credit. This is the first time I've ever had excess money on my 3DS eShop account...I guess it should be obvious, but it will stay in my account even if I turn the system off, right?

The whole lack of an account system has me a little worried.

Dresden

Yeah the Demon Negotiations are going poorly lol.

The little gerbil thing is hilliariously a sociopath in that no mater my answer he wants to fuck my shit up.

"hi old man"

"oh you are old?"

" I've always wanted to beat up an old guy..."

the only times I have died have been due to failed negotiations.

why are they so meeeeaaan? I just wanna go on an adventure guys.

;_;

Fuck those guys, so much macca and life stones wasted trying to recruit them. The challenge mission where you
hunt five of them
was weirdly satisfying.

Volcynika

Just claimed my eShop credit. This is the first time I've ever had excess money on my 3DS eShop account...I guess it should be obvious, but it will stay in my account even if I turn the system off, right?

Sorry. Gotta keep the system on until you spend it. :(

yami4ct

You'll be fine. Your money is stored on their servers like your download history. As long as you log in from the same, not-reformated, 3DS, the cash will be there.

Now, my dumb question. Redeemed cash never expires, right? Planning to save it until Pokemon comes in October, but just want to be sure that's an option.

Edit: Looked at the promotion page, once it's in your account, it's your's forever. Nice. Huge discount on Pokemon Y for me, then!

Regarding the UI, I still don't think the functionality is that great. I was messing around with demon fusion for example, and I've accidentally triggered a fusion before on the "recommended" page while trying to get it to allow me to change skill inheritance. The selections aren't that intuitive and takes some getting used to in terms of function navigation.

I tend to agree. It's nice that they've got a "recommended fusions" page, but I'd rather have my own roster on the front page so that I can experiment. It's nice that they've got a detailed search function, but again, I don't think I should have to go through it just to reach my basic list of ingredients or results.

Despite all the thoughtful additions, it actually takes longer for me to evaluate my fusion options in SMT4 than it did in Nocturne.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow...Orthrus kicked my ass. I got the jump on it and it still instagibbed 2 of my allies right off the bat. Ran away. I guess I should fuse some fire resistant demons?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't utilize it enough! Because I didn't save for a while I have to deal with a 1000 mecca tab now T_T

I mean how the fuck should I know about the personality of a talking chicken the 1st time I met him/her/it. And then lo and behold, all of the press turns immediately gone if I fail and then that fucking talking chicken launch an attack that caps 80 HP out of my 90 HP.

Bloody hell.

Wow...Orthrus kicked my ass. I got the jump on it and it still instagibbed 2 of my allies right off the bat. Ran away. I guess I should fuse some fire resistant demons?

Now you see, this is why I kind of hesitating of going physical with my MC, because when situation like this arose I can just Bufu'ed his ass.

KarmaCow

I actually did that and he never used a fire attack in the next fight. Finding/fusing demons with bufu is the better choice.

Ugh, did
Jonathan
really show up to make my life a living hell? They're nul to ice you moron, stop giving them more attacks. :/

I would have loved to have seen someone live streaming that part. The player and the comments section would have all gone ballistic at once.

Volcynika

The only way to respond to silliness:

lBBgurF.png

brinstar

I'm about 14 hours in now (got it a little early) and damn, the plot is thickening.

Also I somehow managed to miss fusing both a pixie and a jack frost, I'm too strong to have use for them now but it feels weird to never have had them in my party this time around D:

Volcynika

Yeah, if you see a spoiler, don't quote it. Because while the poster can edit their post, they can't edit your quoting of it! If you want to point it out , just quote them and replace it all with a period or something.

Eight hours in and stopping for the night. It's been a very long time since I've played a game nearly all day; this is definitely going to be something special.
Made it up to Ueno and got the quests there. Spent a lot of time stuck on Medusa and the sidequest for killing the Calamity Hordes and David, though.

Tirod

Finally ready to tear into it after I get something in my belly after a torturous day at work. Like many others here, my outer box was damaged in the bubble wrap envelope packaging, but in my case it's the top part of the case, so it won't bother me when sitting on the shelf.

Can't wait to fuse/recruit my own Jack Frost, Alice, and Tam Lin again, always a highlight.

Nexas

Ok edited that post to be a bit more vague. Still I hope what I saw was not as important as I think it was.

Ended up playing for about six hours and just met
the Black Samurai.
I have really been enjoying the game so far. I'm really likeing the world building they are doing with East Mikado and showing how backwards the place is. Little things like how they refer to Burroughs as a sprite and how Hope refers to communicating through the Gauntlet as "scrying" are really great touches. I'm really looking forward to the culture shock the characters are gonna get when they get to Tokyo.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Still too early to tell, but after four hours my mc is going strong. Split evenly between str/dex/agi (although I'll start maxing out Dex soon).

I meant interested not interesting *smacks head*

Anyways, how do you split the stat for every level up? 2/2/1?

You don't touch Luck at all? Considering that it ups the critical chance (IIRC). Any notable difficulty so far?

I am also around 3-4 hours but I made a mistake in splitting my level up on MAG/DEX/AGI. Gonna restart from the very beginning and I want to make my MC physical.

TheExodu5

Banned
You planning to go physical?

Hmmmmmmmm. Everywhere I go people seem to recommend Magic but to tell you the truth I want to go physical first.

Are you far in the game already? Alright, I will reset my game and go physical too. I am planning to go 2 Dex/2 Agi/1 Str. If we can compare notes as to how we proceed through the game I think it would be interesting :)

Yours should be the stronger build. I just want to
get the supposedly best sword in the game by having 100str
. Probably not worth it, but I've decided.

Eusis

You don't touch Luck at all? Considering that it ups the critical chance (IIRC). Any notable difficulty so far?

I am also around 3-4 hours but I made a mistake in splitting my level up on MAG/DEX/AGI. Gonna restart from the very beginning and I want to make my MC physical.
Yeah, physical usually serves me well in MegaTen whereas the demons can handle all the magic stuff. Did some buffing though just in case, especially if this DOES work differently... though I'm doubting it: usually enemies are hurt by physical attacks, whereas magic depends on whichever ones are available, nevermind the chance for criticals.

Aeana

Yeah, physical usually serves me well in MegaTen whereas the demons can handle all the magic stuff. Did some buffing though just in case, especially if this DOES work differently... though I'm doubting it: usually enemies are hurt by physical attacks, whereas magic depends on whichever ones are available, nevermind the chance for criticals.

Enemies that reflect, nullify, or absorb physical attacks are not a rarity in SMT. Particularly at the end of 3. Perhaps that's not as much of an issue in 4, I don't know.

Eusis

Enemies that reflect, nullify, or absorb physical attacks are not a rarity in SMT. Particularly at the end of 3. Perhaps that's not as much of an issue in 4, I don't know.
That's true (though there IS pierce...) but it always seemed like a more reliable area to bet on, nevermind how great some of those skills got: even if you never actually got pierce there was one attack with its properties to wreck things entirely. Maybe if I could freely exchange them, but this isn't DDS, though it certainly comes closer and I don't know if I get a second chance at demon whispering from re-leveling a demon from scratch or not. That could really change things, though it'd be kind of annoyingly grindy too.

Nags

Banned

For the most part you are going to be relying on weapons and skill effects if you want crits. There are weapons with high crit rate but low hit rate for example. Stacking up on AGI is a way to mitigate that (since it increases physical hit rate).

Dresden

No notable difficulty so far, asides from the feeling that it'd be easier with a mag-focused character. I went gun-focused for that bullet-hole effect on kills, though.

As for stat distribution, dex > str and that's that, even on physical skills. But str does boost regular attack damage and opens up some equipment later on (apparently), so I've been putting points into it. We'll see if I messed up by not going pure dex.

Does Charon seriously raise the cost for resurrection every time you die, even if you don't use his services? He bumped my play coin cost from 4 to 12. :[

spiritfox

That's true (though there IS pierce...) but it always seemed like a more reliable area to bet on, nevermind how great some of those skills got: even if you never actually got pierce there was one attack with its properties to wreck things entirely. Maybe if I could freely exchange them, but this isn't DDS, though it certainly comes closer and I don't know if I get a second chance at demon whispering from re-leveling a demon from scratch or not. That could really change things, though it'd be kind of annoyingly grindy too.

Given that you can't pass passive skills I don't know if you can get pierce.

Top Bottom