• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Mupod

White Samurai is still serving me well at level 20. I just found a full armor set that I might swap out for looks though, and statwise it's a sidegrade.

Man I'm always totally starved for app points, I don't regret investing a lot of my early points into scouting though - demon recruiting is seriously like 80% of my income. And I'm rolling in revival beads and such too. Your mileage may vary but for someone who fuses as much as me it's incredibly useful when gathering fodder.

I didn't even know i got free DLC lol. How do I get it? Is it in the E-shop, or do I do it through a menu (I ended up buying this digitally... =/ )

You download it from the main menu, but you can't get it in-game until you've opened up challenge quests. Afterwards you get each piece by handing in 10 life stones.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I'm going to buy this tonight...This DLC with the easy leveling...Is it suppose to be that way? I want to buy all the DLC, but I don't want to break my game.

Mononoke

Banned
White Samurai is still serving me well at level 20. I just found a full armor set that I might swap out for looks though, and statwise it's a sidegrade.

Man I'm always totally starved for app points, I don't regret investing a lot of my early points into scouting though - demon recruiting is seriously like 80% of my income. And I'm rolling in revival beads and such too. Your mileage may vary but for someone who fuses as much as me it's incredibly useful when gathering fodder.

You download it from the main menu, but you can't get it in-game until you've opened up challenge quests. Afterwards you get each piece by handing in 10 life stones.

Oh. Okay thanks for the heads up. Really glad this thread exists, you guys have been really helpful. I'm new to the series (I played all the Persona games), so it's really nice to have some guidance.

Busaiku

Where the heck is the 5th Calamity Horde supposed to be?
I've gone all over, even into the poison, but I can't find anything.

Teknoman

The free dlc White Samurai armor is enough of an upgrade for a while. Don't waste money on armor or weapons early on.

Yeah I made the mistake of buying a black helm. I kinda want that bone sword, but that 1 to 3 multi-hit physical attack seems to work the same way.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

I assume is the one close to the entrance of the 3rd floor. Be prepared though. Like, really prepared.

If is not that one, then make sure you go through every nook and cranny of that area. There are none in the fog poison area, so don't go in there.

Mupod

Try crawling into caves and jumping onto ledges. There's none in the poison.

And yeah. You might wanna heal up before fighting the last one, I'm just saying.

I had a PTSD moment when THAT music kicked in

I didn't even know i got free DLC lol. How do I get it? Is it in the E-shop, or do I do it through a menu (I ended up buying this digitally... =/ )

Main menu. It unlocks the quests in K's Tavern. The free stuff is all really easy to get. Life stones are very common rewards in battles.

And wow, this game really opened up.

I see no point in buying armor early on. I also have this thing that I'll max out my demon stock app first. Something, something side quests...I like them!

I feel like the apps could make for some interesting speed running strategies. At the very least, I'm curious to hear about other players' purchase orders. I have so far spent every single point on what I consider the essentials: protagonist skill slots, demon skill slots, and expanded demon stock. I'm considering the demon linguistics app for recruiting other demon types, but I'll have to see a few more unrecruitable demons first.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This.

I've been fighting with myself because I'm going to get either this, or Etrian Odyssey which based on the demo I know I'm going to enjoy.

You are still on the fence?

I'd absolutely go for SMT IV. The game is easily one of the top RPG experiences available, and shit, I'm only 8 hours in.

Mononoke

Banned
Main menu. It unlocks the quests in K's Tavern. The free stuff is all really easy to get. Life stones are very common rewards in battles.

And wow, this game really opened up.

I recently got into Persona about a year ago. Absolutely fell in love with it. Never played a Shin Megami game, this is my first one in the main series. Absolutely loving it, although I do think the difficulty is a lot harder than Persona (at least for me). I've really had to save a lot more, and think things through.

K.Sabot

Any use in the Luck stat? I've been pumping all my points into AGI because it's OP in other SMT games.

It says it ups crit among other things, and I'm more interseted in what those other things could be.

khaaan

You are still on the fence?

I'd absolutely go for SMT IV. The game is easily one of the top RPG experiences available, and shit, I'm only 8 hours in.
I tend to be indecisive :(

The big thing for me is customizability. Based off of the responses I've seen I think Etrian Oddyssey is better at it but if SMTIV is flexible in letting you assign roles to characters then I think I'll enjoy it.

I have a copy reserve till tomorrow night so I'll have to decide by then. If anything, the resell value of SMT is probably great and in the worst case scenario I can sell it.

epmode

Any use in the Luck stat? I've been pumping all my points into AGI because it's OP in other SMT games.

It says it ups crit among other things, and I'm more interseted in what those other things could be.

It helps with landing status effects and instakills. It also helps with defending against them. And I'm pretty sure it gets you to smirk more often.

Luck is a good stat!

This.

I've been fighting with myself because I'm going to get either this, or Etrian Odyssey which based on the demo I know I'm going to enjoy.

Unless you're a huge fan of EO, I would lean more towards SMT for now.

Speaking as someone who put 80 hours into EO4, I'm getting about the same amount of enjoyment out of SMT4 and I'm only in the very beginning stages.

It's a very polished, refined game and you still have time to get in on it now while the first edition bonuses are still readily available and the community is most active.

Game comes in mail Tuesday morning..."Shit, one hour until work, I'll start it when I get home".

Get home Tuesday night...wife surprises me with dinner and plans to marathon Sons of Anarchy...didn't get the chance to play.

Wonder what'll interrupt me tonight.

Hey everyone who got a damaged copy from Amazon because of their bubble mailers, I just got done chatting with a Amazon CS rep and they gave me a 15% refund because my box was damaged. Mine wasn't damaged as bad as some I've seen on here, so you may be able to get more of a refund or some promotional credit if you complain enough.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I tend to be indecisive :(

The big thing for me is customizability. Based off of the responses I've seen I think Etrian Oddyssey is better at it but if SMTIV is flexible in letting you assign roles to characters then I think I'll enjoy it.

I have a copy reserve till tomorrow night so I'll have to decide by then. If anything, the resell value of SMT is probably great and in the worst case scenario I can sell it.

There's quite a lot of customization in SMTIV. Through a new gameplay system, your main character can learn skills from the demons you befriend, and since there's a limit to it, you need to plan and come up with different strategies constantly. There are also cosmetic customizations that also affect the mc's attributes and weaknesses.

To those that ordered from Amazon: Did you get it in the mail? Or on your doorstep? Mine said out for delivery at 9 AM so I dunno if I forgot to check the mail yesterday

linko9

The quest "collect demon claws" (one of the very first challenge quests) never goes away for me. I can complete it as many times as I want. Is this intended or a glitch? I think it's a glitch because I turned in the quest as soon as I got it, since I already had the 3 gryphon claws, and when I went into Naraku I kept getting notified that I had "1 more to go" or whatever when I got a new claw.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The quest "collect demon claws" (one of the very first challenge quests) never goes away for me. I can complete it as many times as I want. Is this intended or a glitch? I think it's a glitch because I turned in the quest as soon as I got it, since I already had the 3 gryphon claws, and when I went into Naraku I kept getting notified that I had "1 more to go" or whatever when I got a new claw.

I think that's a quest that stays there for a while on purpose. I thought the same, but when I got back to the Tavern to return items for another quest, it was gone.

Busaiku

David wasn't too bad, after finding out the weakness, he took a serious beating. Though if I didn't heal up, I definitely would've been done.
Honestly, finding it was much more work.

CrisKre

Thread news more impressions from people new to the series!

I absolutely love it. Was apprehensive since I had never played SMT and also didnt really enjoy EO4 demo.

The game eases you seamlessly into everything, its dynamic in its battle system and has top tier presentation.

Its AMAZING. funny, this and Fire Emblem where first in the series for me this year and fell in love with both.

Tamanon

Banned
Finally had my first wipe on early game spoilers
Orthrus. Fire Breath + one-shotting MC. Time to level up and keep on fusing.

BTW, Demilingual App is great.

PK Gaming

Thoughts on Rakunda vs Tarujaka?

Tarujaka(Atk+):
-Specifically affects your entire party
-Is useful if enemy reinforcements show up

Rakunda(Def-)
-Specifically targets enemy party
-Is useful is one of your party members should die

Which should I choose?

Busaiku

I take it this team is a fan of DC.
Ippon Datara looks so much like Deathstroke and Night Stalker kinda reminds me of The Joker.

Question; What does it mean if a Demon's status is "lost? I'm sure this a dumb question, but I couldn't seem to find an answer anywhere.

brinstar

Tarujaka(Atk+):

Rakunda(Def-)

Which should I choose?

both, then you can really destroy your enemies

Tarujaka(Atk+):

Rakunda(Def-)

Which should I choose?
I prefer Rakunda. Does Tarukaja buff your magic attack in this game?

Combining the two is the best though.

brinstar

Question; What does it mean if a Demon's status is "lost? I'm sure this a dumb question, but I couldn't seem to find an answer anywhere.

It means your demon is lost and you have to find it again in the wild. When I lost my Naga I found it again in the first encounter I ran into in Naraku, so it shouldn't be too hard to get your demon back.

Yuterald

I'm going hardcore STR, DEX, AGI build for MC. LOVE the whisper function. So much better than the Magatama system (I think...). Already have my MC loaded up with some tubular physical skills!

It means your demon is lost and you have to find it again in the wild. When I lost my Naga I found it again in the first encounter I ran into in Naraku, so it shouldn't be too hard to get your demon back.

Thanks for the reply! I literally just found the answer on GameFaqs as I was refreshing here to see if I had gotten an answer yet.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Wahaha, finally got a shipping notice from Amazon. It's coming from the neighboring city but is still going to take until Friday. Looks like they're using FedEx though, never had a problem with them even with bubble mailers -knocks on wood-

Top Bottom