• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

My purchase might have to wait a few days, every single copy is a LE and will be for a while right? Just want to make sure no one is gutting them like Newegg did Project X Zone(which I wasn't victim to, but still).

ttocs

Just bought it from Amazon because of the Fire Emblem cross promotion credit. The first runs still get upgraded to limited edition right?

Mostly a Persona guy and this will be my first proper SMT.

You should receive the limited edition version. I'd give it a week or so before people stop receiving them.

And same for me, this is my first SMT game coming from a very Persona heavy background. I've found it to be a little tougher than Persona but there is a lower difficulty that helps with the transition nicely. You can switch between the difficulty settings on the fly too.

Lucent

My purchase might have to wait a few days, every single copy is a LE and will be for a while right? Just want to make sure no one is gutting them like Newegg did Project X Zone(which I wasn't victim to, but still).

The first run is all LE. They said all online orders should be LE as long as they have them and there would be much less on store shelves I think. It's the first week so I think you should be fine.

Eyothrie

Wait, what happens when you make conversation with bosses? I've skipped trying to talk to them because they cant be summoned.

Also, if I skip a challenge quest and go do a story quest, can I do that challenge quest later?

Dresden

Wait, what happens when you make conversation with bosses? I've skipped trying to talk to them because they cant be summoned.

Also, if I skip a challenge quest and go do a story quest, can I do that challenge quest later?

Those mid-battle chats usually buff or debuff depending on your answer. Useful if you get the 'right' answer, possibly killer if you don't.

magnetic

Super fun game so far. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed in Soul Hackers - loved the music and the setting, but the mechanics just were a bit too oldschool for my taste. No leveling up demons was my least favourite bit.

SMTIV, on the other hand, feels extremely satisfying to play. It´s actually the first game after P3P that I´ve played that executes each action right after selecting it, unlike Strange Journey/Devil Survivor and the Etrian games.

The production values also feel very solid, I don´t mind the sprites at all and I feel that they fit very well into the graphic design, especially with the great battle effects.

Oh, and the music! The detuned synths in the first dungeon are my favourite bit so far. The more open dungeon design is also a welcome change after playing so many Etrian games and Strange Journey.

Can't you save anywhere at any time? I've been using that like it's my job.

The problem with that sub-boss battle in particular is that it pops up completely without warning, right as you step out of a stretch of poison floor. It's really impossible to prepare for it unless you know exactly where the trigger point is on the floor.

Gosh dangit guys, Minotaur keeps trashing me near the end of the fight. I should probably work on getting something else with Bufu, just my MC with Bufu +1 and the rest running buffs isn't really working so well. (Don't get me started on Walter killing me with Agi...)

Gosh dangit guys, Minotaur keeps trashing me near the end of the fight. I should probably work on getting something else with Bufu, just my MC with Bufu +1 and the rest running buffs isn't really working so well. (Don't get me started on Walter killing me with Agi...)

I had three units (including Flynn) throwing Bufus while one of them was resigned to buff duty. That's the safest way, since you'll be picking up bonus turns like a boss if you do it like that. Just spam Sukukaja and you should be fine.

Eyothrie

Those mid-battle chats usually buff or debuff depending on your answer. Useful if you get the 'right' answer, possibly killer if you don't.

Thanks. Unless I am missing something, the whole 'answer' thing is random chance at best. Is this true, that you basically just get lucky when they like your answer or get screwed when they don't like it? It's so obtuse to me. I wish i had more control over the outcome. Only complaint of the game from me

CSX

Yea Walter did that shit to me too. Thankfully it was at the beginning of the battle and not towards the end lol. I got two demons with bufu and one with sukutaja. I should be able to beat him now hopefully

You should receive the limited edition version. I'd give it a week or so before people stop receiving them.

And same for me, this is my first SMT game coming from a very Persona heavy background. I've found it to be a little tougher than Persona but there is a lower difficulty that helps with the transition nicely. You can switch between the difficulty settings on the fly too.

I'm out of the loop so much I didn't even realize this was release week until now. Been hearing about the FE promotion since last week so I assumed the game was already out. Just on a whim decided to pick up the game on Amazon after hearing my friend talk it up, so I'm excited.

eller711

Neo Member
Does anyone know if you miss out on any content if you switch to easy? I'm considering the jump, but I don't want to find out that I miss out on some optional boss 60 hours in.

Teknoman

Yeah i'm having much more fun in IV than Soul hackers, but thats to be expected. DDS 1 and 2 were cool, but Nocturne blew both away. Makes me want to go back and give SMT I and II a shot.

White Man

Recs on Str vs Mag builds? I just got off of Soul Hackers and I've been instinctively been pumping up Str, but I'm starting to feel like I made a poor decision. I'm assuming I should switch to Magic since it allows for more variety in skill types.

Just started digging into my copy and have killed my first demon. I had to laugh at how nakedly the opening dream presented the Law and Chaos paths. Thankfully the story proper seems a bit more interesting. I like the juxtaposition of a medieval culture with a technological artifact.

I've only barely explored a dungeon, but the interface seems pretty slick.

K.Sabot

Recs on Str vs Mag builds? I just got off of Soul Hackers and I've been instinctively been pumping up Str, but I'm starting to feel like I made a poor decision. I'm assuming I should switch to Magic since it allows for more variety in skill types.

People are saying DEX > STR for phys builds around here.

olimpia84

Finally got this in the mail today from Newegg, box was a bit banged up at the top but nothing major.

Question: is there some kind of free time-limited DLC that I should download for this game? I'm asking because I want to go through Fire Emblem first before I delve into SMTIV but don't want to miss content if they're offering it for free.

Teknoman

Wow...i've never heard of a Mymecolion, but I kind of want to leave it in my party just for looks. Strange but in a good way...which is what I really like about SMT. Makes you want to jump on the net or hit a library to look up the history of some of these myths. Cant wait to fuse this Centaur with something else though.

Finally got this in the mail today from Newegg, box was a bit banged up at the top but nothing major.

Question: is there some kind of free time-limited DLC that I should download for this game? I'm asking because I want to go through Fire Emblem first before I delve into SMTIV but don't want to miss content if they're offering it for free.

Yes for some decent beginner armor and cosmetic items.

hank_tree

Yes there are a couple of pieces. Uou can download them from the game's Main menu so you don't even have to start into the game proper. Just pop the cart in, grab the dlc and then get back to Fire Emblem.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

This link from Freyjadour gives a pretty good idea for stat breakdowns, and yeah according to it STR seems pointless really, all about that DEX it seems for physical builds.

2 DLC packs. You don't even need to have created a save file to download them, either.

Just beat
Medusa
, I thought she was a lot easier than
Minotaur
personally.

I used the White Samurai armor which resists gun and I fused a Fortuna and kept using Sukukaja and Rakukaja. Made her miss Snake Fangs pretty often and my MC took very little damage from her gun attacks.

If you do get the dumb exp DLC, don't forget in the back, there is a door where a guy will trade 10 small exp thingies for the rights to fuse the palliate swap of the fairy from the beginning, she is level 13, has Zanma and is a 3 way fusion.

Teknoman

The CD has SMT III Title Loop 2, even though its a remix of sorts. Kinda awesome since it ties both Title loop 1 and 2 together, but its too short :(

Tiktaalik

I like the idea of demon negotiation but in practice I think I hate it. It just comes across to me as a bit too random. Certainly there is no constant, known best path to recruit various demons, as I'll answer the opposite I did last time and still fail, but when I try to get a feel for the character of a demon, and answer appropriately to match their personality, I'll still get unexpected, random feeling responses. I mean is it completely random? Am I best served by simply mashing the first entry in all text boxes?

Dresden

I like the idea of demon negotiation but in practice I think I hate it. It just comes across to me as a bit too random. Certainly there is no constant, known best path to recruit various demons, as I'll answer the opposite I did last time and still fail, but when I try to get a feel for the character of a demon, and answer appropriately to match their personality, I'll still get unexpected, random feeling responses. I mean is it completely random? Am I best served by simply mashing the first entry in all text boxes?

1. be a jerk

2. demons are assholes

3. don't give them anything valuable, ever

Teknoman

Some things demons will always think are arrogant,stupid, or cool, so button mashing isnt recommended.

It always seems random, but with some not so random elements.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Yesss, My copy finally arrived:

RxOaKL5l.jpg

OH shit, a badly roughed up bubbler mailer. Hopefully its not too damaged...

9FdZUtbl.jpg

hIWc8Hr.gif

Mononoke

Banned
So I'm still very early in the game. I barely have 3,000 in money. I was thinking of either investing in that $2,000 sword that jumps from 55 to 88, or investing in some better armor. Although the jump in body is from 4 to 7 (I don't really know how to read armor stats, and how that translates into a reduction in damage you take. That, and armor is multiple parts that will add up the stats).

Basically, my hit attacks aren't very good as I solely put all my stats into Magic + Luck + Agility. But I still use basic attacks in between, as I don't always want to use magic (I'm mostly saving it for demons I know have a weakness).

Or should I not spend my money right now? I'm kind of surprised by how expensive it is to also summon level 5 demons once you fuse them. I guess it's not THAT expensive, but since it's early, getting money is pretty slow right now.

Post-Naraku 5 spoiler question:
I can come back in and take care of sidequests after I go past the Minotaur chamber, right? I'm not sealed off outside?

Got the
Macabre Dance
sidemission left to finish off, and want to make sure I can take care of it before the plot locks me away.

Teknoman

So I'm still very early in the game. I barely have 3,000 in money. I was thinking of either investing in that $2,000 sword that jumps from 55 to 88, or investing in some better armor. Although the jump in body is from 4 to 7 (I don't really know how to read armor stats, and how that translates into a reduction in damage you take. That, and armor is multiple parts that will add up the stats).

Basically, my hit attacks aren't very good as I solely put all my stats into Magic + Luck + Agility. But I still use basic attacks in between, as I don't always want to use magic (I'm mostly saving it for demons I know have a weakness).

Or should I not spend my money right now? I'm kind of surprised by how expensive it is to also summon level 5 demons once you fuse them. I guess it's not THAT expensive, but since it's early, getting money is pretty slow right now.

Keep in mind thats some sort of blunt weapon, and has a low hit %. Also try to get that fundraiser app.

Mononoke

Banned
Keep in mind thats some sort of blunt weapon, and has a low hit %. Also try to get that fundraiser app.

Good catch. The Dies Irae is blunt with low physical % hit. Glad I didn't take that plunge, probably would have been self-defeating.

I guess I'll just wait? What about at least getting a body armor upgrade? I could just throw $1,200 into armor to go from 4 to 7 body stat. Not sure if that will do much, but might be enough of a difference (some of these low level demons just fuck me up with ONE hit. Been having to spam DIA). I'm just trying to get a little edge, so that my early dungeon crawling is less...intense.

And thanks for the tip about the fundraiser app. Just bought it. :)

Get the game and play it until you reach the boss which will make you rage. Use that anger to perform better at the gym :p

oh shit... forget this is one of these hard games... maybe i should play on baby mode ;(

I won't lie, I found baby mode to be pretty hard for devil survivor overclocked ;_;

Nexas

Post-Naraku 5 spoiler question:
I can come back in and take care of sidequests after I go past the Minotaur chamber, right? I'm not sealed off outside?

Got the
Macabre Dance
sidemission left to finish off, and want to make sure I can take care of it before the plot locks me away.

You'll be fine.
There is a terminal that takes you back to Mikado after you beat Minotaur.

Dresden

Good catch. The Dies Irae is blunt with low physical % hit. Glad I didn't take that plunge, probably would have been self-defeating.

I guess I'll just wait? What about at least getting a body armor upgrade? I could just throw $1,200 into armor to go from 4 to 7 body stat. Not sure if that will do much, but might be enough of a difference (some of these low level demons just fuck me up with ONE hit. Been having to spam DIA). I'm just trying to get a little edge, so that my early dungeon crawling is less...intense.

And thanks for the tip about the fundraiser app. Just bought it. :)

The free dlc White Samurai armor is enough of an upgrade for a while. Don't waste money on armor or weapons early on.

Mononoke

Banned
The free dlc White Samurai armor is enough of an upgrade for a while. Don't waste money on armor or weapons early on.

I didn't even know i got free DLC lol. How do I get it? Is it in the E-shop, or do I do it through a menu (I ended up buying this digitally... =/ )

Top Bottom