• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Mupod

Oh god the descriptions of some of the 'relics' you find.

Bicycle: Some kind of water mill?
Skateboard: A dangerous stepladder.

edit: also, I put down my 3DS with my character standing around in a dungeon to type this and Burroughs just said 'master, you're spacing out a little'.

Kenai

I tend to be indecisive :(

The big thing for me is customizability. Based off of the responses I've seen I think Etrian Oddyssey is better at it but if SMTIV is flexible in letting you assign roles to characters then I think I'll enjoy it.

I have a copy reserve till tomorrow night so I'll have to decide by then. If anything, the resell value of SMT is probably great and in the worst case scenario I can sell it.

I think this game is pretty customizable. You can level different builds and have varying skills on your MC, make your party basically how you want (within reason) and even customize the story base on your choices.

Nearly 13 hours in and just beat
Dullahan
. The Corpse hunting quest was pretty impressive, and I panicked for a second when two demons leapt onto a rooftop after me. This is easily one of my favorite SMTs so far; here's to hoping they can keep the quality up all game.

cj_iwakura

Lots of poor use of spoiler tags here. Use a dungeon as a reference to what's tagged or something? Not that I'm touching them. :p

Got past the early difficulty spike, finishing up the third series of story quests in the first dungeon. Pretty smooth going now, but I do miss Raidou 2's 'demon helper' negotiation buffs. They were so broken.
(Conversation goes bad? Pixie helps! Demon is happy and will negotiate!)

My copy just arrived and this was the first and last time I order a game from newegg. The slip cover is bent/crushed in multiple places and there are tiny tears in the cover of the strategy guide. Ah well, what can you do?

Jessicat

Summon Stone sells for 10k. Should I sell it? Seems like a revive demon from bench and starts them all in one turn. Even though handy, I'll take the cash.
What, actually? D: I used the one I found during a boss battle, worth taking 1/2 a turn fully healed over 1.5 and still needing healing. I guess this means even if you could buy them they're hella expensive ._.; You can make a ton of macca farming and selling relics though, they show up on your map so they're easy to get.

*edit* Rakunda is better, like old school pokemon, there is only one defence stat, but multiple attacking stats (on that note tho, does tarukaja increase gun as a phys skill too?)

Good guy Amamzon: order free shipping (5-8 business days), get the game one day after release. Bravo! Now if only I didn't have to start a 12 hour shift at the hospital before getting to play. Q_Q

Lots of poor use of spoiler tags here. Use a dungeon as a reference to what's tagged or something? Not that I'm touching them. :p

Got past the early difficulty spike, finishing up the third series of story quests in the first dungeon. Pretty smooth going now, but I do miss Raidou 2's 'demon helper' negotiation buffs. They were so broken.
(Conversation goes bad? Pixie helps! Demon is happy and will negotiate!)

Too early to tell but I'm sure that still exists in some capacity. I mean I don't see why not

Mononoke

Banned
Question about the fundraising app...so far I've only been able to get like 2 macca, 4 macca, and at best 7 macca (then they rage out and attack me, which at this low level, they do some insane damage if they get to hit me first).

It's kind of annoying. Is it random how much money you can get? Or is it really that low? I know you can upgrade the fundraiser app, but just thought I would ask.

Oh god the descriptions of some of the 'relics' you find.

Bicycle: Some kind of water mill?
Skateboard: A dangerous stepladder.

edit: also, I put down my 3DS with my character standing around in a dungeon to type this and Burroughs just said 'master, you're spacing out a little'.

LAN Cable: It seems to be a long, soft piece of string.
Memory Card: Could it be a dragon's scale?
HDD Recorder: It seems to be a black bookrest.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Is there an option inside the Mido menu to see what recipe of demons is required to create the demons listed in your compendium (specifically for demons you've acquired but aren't currently in your possession)?

In advanced search options I think you can search for a specific demon to end up with and you can include your compendium, so you'll be able to see every possible combination of stuff you've caught, and you can just pay through this list like you would for a special summon.

It was broken as hell. I have a feeling it's gone, but some demons will still be able to negotiate themselves like in Nocturne, most likely.

I kept Dionysus around for a while for that very reason. WINE PARTYYYYYYY~!

God, I can just imagine Beelzebub and Metatron having a drink together and arguing over the finer points of Law vs. Chaos.

Sleepy

LOL Killed stone cold deal in two rounds in the first battle. I LOVE this game.

The 3D effect in the beginning, when you were flying through the clouds, was awesome. Sucks for the rest, though.

Busaiku

So I'm still not exactly sure what Smirking does after all this time.
Sometimes I get it when I get an extra turn, other times not.

branny

I finally got the chance to play a little. Not quite sure what to think yet, but at least the title screen music is amazing. I hope the game compares favorably to Nocturne.

On a side note, I've been steadily forcing my way through FFXIII-2 this past month, and I find it hilariously awkward that the gauntlet's navigational AI is Lightning's VA, and that the older Samurai is named Hope.

LOL Killed stone cold deal in two rounds in the first battle. I LOVE this game.

The 3D effect in the beginning, when you were flying through the clouds, was awesome. Sucks for the rest, though.

Killed my eyes and gave me a headache. I will be playing this game #D off, apparently.

the amazon cardboard coat proved to be my undoing and by wearing it my mc was able to meet the charon for the first time

not super crazy re: the look up/down feature.

GeekyDad

In advanced search options I think you can search for a specific demon to end up with and you can include your compendium, so you'll be able to see every possible combination of stuff you've caught, and you can just pay through this list like you would for a special summon.

It doesn't actually work like that, so far as I can tell. You can list, say, Dwarf, to be the only demon to come up in the search, but if you don't have the demons needed to fuse one, it will show 0 for the results, with no recipe of required demons, of course.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
the amazon cardboard coat proved to be my undoing and by wearing it my mc was able to meet the charon for the first time

not super crazy re: the look up/down feature.

I would like it if you actually had things to look at that you couldn't see otherwise. But no, I can see the hole in the wall perfectly fine thank you. Just let me press A next to it.

So all these points I've been putting into STR aren't increasing the attack of sword/slice based skills? I thought DEX was only for Gun attacks and physical skills and STR was for sword/physical attacks and physical skills (gun/sword)?

Ourobolus

Banned
So far, after my first hiccups, it's been going well. I'm level 8,
Just beat Orthrus and Wendigo, the latter of which's Horde went down in one turn
. I'm sure I'll get spanked soon enough, though.

Aeana

Finally got my first death, against
Minotaur
. Beat it on my third try changing absolutely nothing about my party, so that was fun.

CSX

The battle against
Medusa
was meant for me. Have Zan+6 plus hooligan which nulls and resists all her attacks. For once a boss that didn't make me rage

Formless

Just got this game and I had no idea to expect. Pretty underwhelmed by the ugly models and slideshow cutscenes, and some wtf at the first dungeon. But hopefully it gets better.

Emitan

Not sure what I should be doing in Shinobazu Pond...

Can't find any boss demon or whatever.

EDIT: Wait this game comes with a guide...

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Minotaur
. Beat it on my third try changing absolutely nothing about my party, so that was fun.
Yeah, Minotaur was definitely luck based. I had the perfect party and couldn't bring myself to grind anymore and I still died a couple times. When I finally beat him, all my chars were at 90+% health.

Rhodan

Neo Member
Where the heck is the 5th Calamity Horde supposed to be?
I've gone all over, even into the poison, but I can't find anything.

If you're still having issues, I was struggling to find it and for me it was in the bottom left corner, through a low crack, make sure you're fully healed going into it though ;)

Is getting a Revival Bead the only way to resurrect my demons?

In a dungeon it is, they also get resurrected when you fully heal, such as by sleeping in the barracks

So I'm still not exactly sure what Smirking does after all this time.
Sometimes I get it when I get an extra turn, other times not.

From what I've seen, Smirking itself doesn't give you an extra turn but since it usually occurs when a critical occurs or you hit an enemies weakeness, the two tend to go hand in hand.

As far as I can tell, when someone smirks, their next attack does more damage or they automatically dodge the next attack against them (but it only occurs once, so whichever happens first uses up the smirk). This is just from playing though, I haven't looked it up so could be slightly off there.

I would like it if you actually had things to look at that you couldn't see otherwise. But no, I can see the hole in the wall perfectly fine thank you. Just let me press A next to it.

Yeh it is a little weird. Doesn't bother me too much but when its pretty clear theres a pathway theyre just hitting A should have been enough

Cactus

Banned
Minotaur
Pretty much the same thing happened to me. On my third attempt, he decided not to focus specifically on the MC, and I managed to beat him pretty handily after lowering his hit rate.

Rhodan

Neo Member
Also the look of (Late Naraku Possible Spoiler)
Minotaur
is amazing.

Like many, I wasn't the biggest fan of the switch to 2D but they've done an incredible job with all the 2D Cutscenes in particular and the way portraits move around and the artwork and style in general has been amazing.

Xenoflare

Is a MAG/AGL build with a side order of DEX viable throughout the game? I just want to ask since I'm getting my ass floored right now. Although I was on the easy mode for a long while.

I'm already LV29. STR 14. DEX 38, MAG 70, AGL 50, LUK 18.

Rhodan

Neo Member
Pretty much the same thing happened to me. On my third attempt, he decided not to focus specifically on the MC, and I managed to beat him pretty handily after lowering his hit rate.

I got really lucky in that fight since
The first spell I cast was Bufu and he was weak to Ice. I still died my first attempt but then switched demons around so I had 3 Bufu- casters and a Rakunda and it made it insanely easy

CSX

So for the demons that don't like u giving them everything they want , u just have to refuse one of their requests?

Isaccard

I love how the game's only been out since yesterday and people are already asking for the "best/optimal" stat builds to play the game, instead of playing the game.

The game came with a guide and I bet 99% have not looked inside it yet.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
lol, some of these demons.

1qfFREh.jpg

Xenoflare

lol, some of these demons.

1qfFREh.jpg

This particular demon have already creeped in Soul Hackers, something about that demon is just off putting to me, especially now if you want to talk with demons the game ensures you get up close and personal with it.

cj_iwakura

Wicker Man's in Soul Hackers, too.

I love whatever lunatic at Atlus decided to make compendium bios viewable prior to fusion.

First Domain boss down:

Thought it was Arachne from all the bindings. I was close!

Decimated her once I figured Agi was her weakness. Tarukaja helped too. Not a single death.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This particular demon have already creeped in Soul Hackers, something about that demon is just off putting to me, especially now if you want to talk with demons the game ensures you get up close and personal with it.

Yeah figured this / a lot of them are recurring, but I hadn't seen it in the small amount of P3 / P4 I played.

Also showed it to someone and they said it's 'weak to bees' pffft.

Top Bottom