• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami: 'There's no Space for Dino Crisis when Monster Hunter Exists'

Draugoth

Gold Member
dino-crisis-ps1.jpg

Speaking to Eurogamer at Gamescom with regards to the forthcoming Shadows of the Damned remaster, Mikami discussed the topic of a new Dino Crisis game - it's the series most Capcom fans want to see make a return, according to a recent survey.

"I'm very surprised to hear that," said Mikami in relation to fans wanting more Dino Crisis. "The awesomeness of dinosaurs and the stuff you can do with dinosaurs, that's been kind of really nailed down by Monster Hunter in recent years.

"So even if I were to decide to make a remake or a new version of Dino Crisis, I don't really feel like there's a whole lot of space for that kind of game right now, just since Monster Hunter has become such a big game. But yeah, it is surprising.

When Capcom announced Exoprimal, its online dinosaur-inspired shooter, many fans jumped to Dino Crisis, only to be disappointed.

via Eurogamer

Mr Hyde

Extremely weird comment. Mistranslation? Dino Crisis is not even in the same ballpark as Monster Hunter. It's not even in the same league. Hell, it's not even the same fucking sport.

consoul

I do see where he's coming from, but the fact that Capcom launched Exoprimal while still pushing Monster Hunter suggests they're not concerned about the dinosaur theme being played out.

Hugare

This explains a lot about Mikami's works being mediocre for more than a decade now

The guy is clueless

Last edited:
That's like saying there's no room for Dead Rising when we have Resident Evil. Even though we have that Dead Rising remake/remaster on the way, too. Dumb comparison.

Someone should make a RE3make mod. Zombies swapped to scrub dinos, and a raptor stalks you.

Myself, I never cared for Dino Crisis all that much. Give me an Onimusha reboot.

Lupin25

BS. Dino Crysis is different.

When an IP like this goes dormant you might as well just say they don’t G.A.F.

leizzra

I think what he means is that games like Monster Hunter (action orientated) can make much more in the subject then survival horrors. You can do much more with dinosaurs there (but then again, are they doing it now?). It's also much better sales wise then Dino Crisis can ever be.

Saying that I still think that Dino Crisis can exist because MH won't go the scary rout. Also CEO's think differently so I guess Dino Crisis will happen some day.

Esppiral

There's no Space for Metal Gear when Super Mario Exists

I doesn't make sense right Miky? Well just like your message.

//DEVIL//

is he back at capcom ? didnt he leave after RE4 or something ? ( don't follow what happens to him )

if he is not in capcom, why is he yapping about a dino game?

Mownoc

When the creator of Dino Crisis thinks his game is similar to Monster Hunter you have to question how he ever made a great game in the first place.

Toots

Gold Member
You don't even have to go that far. Just look at Madden and College Football 25....
The idea of the joke is that something anecdotal or contingent is used as the main argument for the reasoning.

Dino Crisis and Monster Hunter, while being completely different, both had dinosaurs in it.
Madden and the Sims, while being completely different, both had human beings in it.
Star Wars OUtlaws and The Warriors, while being completely different, both had this weird looking actor in. (i know mine is not really good but Hookshot Hookshot nailed it so good the first time with his Madden / Simss comparison, you can only do so much going afterwards...)

Last edited:

GrayChild

More like "there's no place for cheap RE knockoff with dinosaurs when RE exists". Dino Crisis was always overrated AF.

SHA

Now the real talk why capcom games aren't being made, if it's age, not a problem, just look at fan made projects on YouTube, they know what they're doing, passionate, young, some of them being doing what they do for a decade, there's no excuse.

Top Bottom