• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

268050_screenshots_205epdr.jpg

So the black bars are actually covering up 46% of my screen.

Yes. That's nearly half of the screen. Why Mikami? :(

Need to know this as well.
Wasting matches like a guy with bad food poisoning.

They do.

Melee weapons (axes, torches) and stealth kills prevent revives.

I recommend matches stock upgrade. Aim at the legs to trip them and than just burn them.

After 4 chapters I only killed maybe 5 zombies with headshots. Everythin else is stealth kills, melee weapons kills and matches (shoot , trip, burn).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Started playing at midnight, forced myself to stop at 3am.

At first I was a little off-put; the opening sequence(s) before the game proper begins, is really disjointed and I was concerned at first that the game wasn't sure what it wanted to be. Then batshit thing after thing began happening, and it seems clear the game's theme is dislocation and disorientation, so far.

At the point I stopped it is starting to seem like a "greatest hits" of all the big survival horror and psychological horror games, I would believe the reviews that said there is nothing "new" here. But it is executed in a really thrilling and addictive to play way, once you get to the first proper open enemy encounter.

It does feel as if Mikami was trying to preserve what makes RE4 so much fun to play, while addressing the criticisms that the player character was too powerful, making it into a Rambo game in a few too many instances. So far the game does a good job of that. I also really like how for resource usage decisions there are no hints, no hand holding. It does totally let you waste ammo, waste health supplies, and matches if you don't think about how to be stingy.

people have said that the xbox 1 version is smooth, maybe because the xbox version received a huge day one patch.
Big shame as i was hoping to pick up the ps4 version later on and i don't own a xbox or pc

Yeah, went to play it tonight and found that out the hard way. 7.5gb patch.

They do.

Melee weapons (axes, torches) and stealth kills prevent revives.

I recommend matches stock upgrade. Aim at the legs to trip them and than just burn them.

After 4 chapters I only killed maybe 5 zombies with headshots. Everythin else is stealth kills, melee weapons kills and matches (shoot , trip, burn).

Oh nice to know that about melee kills too. Now I think I'm ready to not suck on Ch. 3.

Grief.exe

The consensus seems to be the XBO version has the best performance of the consoles.

The PC is really hit and miss. I'm going to be honest, the game leaves a terrible first impression. Not only are the first two chapters, reportedly, the worst sections in the game, but you start the game at 30 FPS, with terrible mouse lag in the menus, a ridiculously low FOV, nonexistent graphics menus, and headache-inducing black bars, your mileage may vary on the latter.

The issues with the PC version are actually fairly minor in the grand scheme of things and should be easy to patch. The game actually runs really well at 1080p/60 for me, so technically the experience is far superior, just some niggling issues that negatively effect the experience.

DSmalls84

So is the PS4 version expected to receive a patch? I haven't picked up my copy yet, but if the Xbox version is noticably better I may switch preorder over from PS4.

gdt

Nowadays I always play games on Hard Mode, is that recommended here too? Seems like this game is actually difficult.

Edit: lol wtf the Xbone version runs better. Well that's surprising.

Carbonox

Only on Chapter 2 but thoughts already:

* Game is challenging - I died like 3 times during Chapter 1 :lol
* The atmosphere is fantastic
* While the game isn't a looker from a sheer graphical perspective it has a style to it that impresses me along with the light/smoke effects. I really like the grain effect too.
* The black bars are irritating, how on earth is this a thing?

I've got a good feeling about this game.

Man, I'm really enjoying this so far. I love how the forced stealth is ultra dumb and pretty smart at the same time. "Oh look, he just patrols this one area" and then suddenly he's right in front of me after I move a bit.

Also whoever decided to add Dead Space's stomping needs a raise.

Hagi

is the game supposed to be so dark? I don't know if it's the lighting coupled with the filter or its my PS4 settings. :/

It's really distracting.

So when does the stealth die down and the action come more to the forefront? I can't do stealth with the way the FOV is.

I just finished chapter 2 though and I'm enjoying it so far its pretty tense. I wish I could change the controller configuration I keep clicking R3 for turning off and on the light. I guess I'll just switch them in DS4Windows.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wow, Sorry Kojima but Mikami gets it.
As much as I liked P.T this game reeks of Silent Hill and has that Silent Hill vibe of dread without jump scares and is 3rd person to boot, loving it so far.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
count yourself very lucky, the ps4 version got a tiny patch and is apparently worse, especially in the outdoor areas.
Sad that it looks like the ps4 version has been ignored in terms of a patch
Do you have any proof that the XO version runs better? I wouldn't spread that kind of info as it might get peoples hopes up.

eshwaaz

These PS4 framerate complaints are really depressing. I'm supposed to be getting my PS4 copy from Amazon in a few hours, and now I don't want to open it. :(

AkuMifune

Banned
Made it to Chapter 3 last night. Loving it so far, but hope it opens up a bit. Have felt it's a little too linear and claustrophobic so far, but that might be all this game is. Was hoping for a bit more RE2 than RE4. And yo, this game is mad RE4. So far at least.

Top Bottom