• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Do you have any proof that the XO version runs better? I wouldn't spread that kind of info as it might get peoples hopes up.
I have no proof, i'm just going by the last few pages of info people have told me, some people playing on xbox say it's smooth and no frame-rate dips, some people playing on ps4 have reported frame-rate problems in outside areas, could just be different peoples idea of frame-rate problems.
I'm not just throwing out guesses here, i'm trying to ask people myself as i want to pick up the ps4 version but some people have said it has a few problems.

Grisby

I'll be curious to see the Digital Foundry stuff. Getting on PS4 in a few moments but I'm thinking about switching.
Anyone still having trouble downloading The Fighting Chance preorder stuff?

Edit - Yeah I asked again.
Are you trying to DL it off PSN? Sometimes they don't update the stuff until later on Tuesday (that includes dlc).

What are everyone's thoughts so far (without spoilers, please)?

I like it so far. I'm only on chapter 3, but I'd say for certain that it's a great return to Mikami horror. Feels a little too much like The Last of Us with stealth sections, but apparently there's more action on the way.

Spent about an hour or two messing around with pc settings, and I think my final verdict on that is going to be summed up as "How I learned to stop worrying and love the black bars."

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
-Intros crash the game. Sound plays but not the video.
-Performance is really bad for my PC. Poor framerates without full utilization of my system.
-Steam overlay isn't working in game, nor is any overlay I think. I had to turn on desktop capture to stream with Shadowplay.
-Achievements don't work if you are using the console.
-Doesn't scale downsampled resolutions correctly.

No bueno

Chapter 3 was good shit though. Crept around and scoured everything. Nice to see the blue medallions basically make their return.

Hagi

I haven't really noticed any frame rate issues, maybe after the horrendous cutscenes in Isolation everything else seems buttery smooth in comparison lol

jacobeid

Banned
This is first retail game I've purchased for my PS4 (bought one at launch) so of course it'll be the one game that I *should* have bought on XB1.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Man I don't think I've ever seen a game this letterboxed, and to still have performance issues? My optimism is basically gone after seeing footage.

E92 M3

I like it so far. I'm only on chapter 3, but I'd say for certain that it's a great return to Mikami horror. Feels a little too much like The Last of Us with stealth sections, but apparently there's more action on the way.

Spent about an hour or two messing around with pc settings, and I think my final verdict on that is going to be summed up as "How I learned to stop worrying and love the black bars."

Sounds great - need to pick it up at some point. Hopefully there is a lot of ng+ stuff as well.

MattyG

Banned
* While the game isn't a looker from a sheer graphical perspective it has a style to it that impresses me along with the light/smoke effects. I really like the grain effect too.

I've got a good feeling about this game.
That's the one thing I really didn't like. Took that shit off immediately.

Anung

Un Rama
Man I don't think I've ever seen a game this letterboxed, and to still have performance issues? My optimism is basically gone after seeing footage.

They must have done it to make it more cinematic. Because its certainly not ironing out the framerate.

King_Moc

Banned
I have no proof, i'm just going by the last few pages of info people have told me, some people playing on xbox say it's smooth and no frame-rate dips, some people playing on ps4 have reported frame-rate problems in outside areas, could just be different peoples idea of frame-rate problems.
I'm not just throwing out guesses here, i'm trying to ask people myself as i want to pick up the ps4 version but some people have said it has a few problems.

XB1 version seemed pretty janky to me fps wise when I played it at EGX. I'd be surprised if it was at 30fps.

Mupod

-Intros crash the game. Sound plays but not the video.
-Performance is really bad for my PC. Poor framerates without full utilization of my system.
-Steam overlay isn't working in game, nor is any overlay I think. I had to turn on desktop capture to stream with Shadowplay.
-Achievements don't work if you are using the console.
-Doesn't scale downsampled resolutions correctly.

No bueno

Chapter 3 was good shit though. Crept around and scoured everything. Nice to see the blue medallions basically make their return.

what! I never saw anything like the medallions. Granted I got through most of RE4 without noticing them somehow, so maybe I just need to know what to look for. And yes, if the rest of the game is like Chapter 3 rather than 1 and 2, this game and me are gonna get along just fine.

Game's looking fine downsampled from 1440p for me, but there were some weird looking parts in the early cinematics. Especially that part with the side mirror. Actual game looks really good, especially that whole area near the end of chapter 3.

I have noticed the intro videos acting strangely. Game minimizes or appears to lock up during them, but it starts fine.

First time I have heard this. Even if you just use it to uncap FPS? Can someone confirm?

I've played up through chapter 3 using the launch options to enable console and uncap FPS, and no achievements. Although I wonder if that's partly because the game unlocked 5 hours early for me. I don't really care either way but yeah, could be annoying.

First time I have heard this. Even if you just use it to uncap FPS? Can someone confirm?
If you are using the dev console and want your achievements just disable it via properties, start the game, load your save, and they will all unlock at once. Then quit back out and reenable it. Bit silly to have to do that every time, but I suppose that's the curse of putting a framerate toggle in with god mode!

I don't understand why this is disliked. I think it works really well. I just wish the frame rate was rock solid on PS4.. They needed to optimize it more.

~Kinggi~

Banned
woah didnt realize 60 fps hack disabled achievements. Gonna restart. Only on chapter 3 ight now. Was wondering why the dlc wasnt in my inventory.

I don't understand why this is disliked. I think it works really well. I just wish the frame rate was rock solid on PS4.. They needed to optimize it more.
Why would I prefer to see black instead of more of the game world? TV's have a certain aspect ratio for a reason; it works. Plus they are already widescreen as it is! It's an incredibly annoying restriction.

psychotron

I never thought I would see people saying the XBone performs better. My PS4 pre-order seemed like a no brainer. Shit. Maybe I should get the XBox version instead. Digital Foundry, where art thou!!!!!!?

is there any XB1 vs PS4 vids? Had I known I would have gotten the XB1 version if its infact a smoother experience :(

only played to chapter 3 before work this morning on PS4: I like it, though (IMO) it can be a little rough in spots-texture load and framerate issues are abundant-

On my way to grab this now!

of all the avatar changes-this one is great cuphead-

-MD-

Finally ran low on ammo in chapter 5, was gettin nervous for a sec there.

I missed out on a bunch of green gel enemies dropped too in earlier chapters I thought it was acid or something so I avoided it.

MattyG

Banned
Finally ran low on ammo in chapter 5, was gettin nervous for a sec there.

I missed out on a bunch of green gel enemies dropped too in earlier chapters I thought it was acid or something so I avoided it.
Was it the part of ch 5 with the
invisible guys?
That's the part of chapter 5 I ran out at.

-MD-

Was it the part of ch 5 with the
invisible guys?
That's the part of chapter 5 I ran out at.

Yeah, those fuckers eat bullets like crazy and are hard to track, I kept retreating behind wheelchairs and waited for them to move out of the way before firing.

nynt9

People on here have been notoriously bad at telling framerate though, as can be seen in OTs of previous big games.

Waiting for the DF analysis is the best bet.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst

Haha, almost got me too.

"What the... is that poison? Acid? Nice try, game!"

But... I accidentally jarred some when I went to pick up bullets that landed next to a puddle of it. Then it was a mad dash around the entirety of level 3 collecting 6,000 more in gel.

Top Bottom