• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Yeah, those fuckers eat bullets like crazy and are hard to track, I kept retreating behind wheelchairs and waited for them to move out of the way before firing.

One easy way to kill them is to throw bottles at them and while they are dizzy, sneak from behind and stealth kill them.

I'm on Ch. 6 now

I was a little disappointed by Ch.
boss. Reminded me of the
first
boss in RE 5.

People on here have been notoriously bad at telling framerate though, as can be seen in OTs of previous big games.

Waiting for the DF analysis is the best bet.

Yeah. Let us not forget the many instances of people claiming Wii U multi-plats were running flawlessly until facts came and squashed that notion.

WildZeo

Neo Member
So I just got my Retail PC copy installed and it's telling me to download another 5GB before I can play.
Anyone else get a retail PC copy and have the same issue?
I couldn't see anything about a day one patch on steam and there were no reports of this from others.

Looks like I won't be playing until tomorrow night at this rate, bah.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Damn... really don't want to be bothered with the worst version of the game. Is the ps4 copy bad in terms of framerate? If it's not a consistent 30 at the least then I might as well hold off...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
HOLY SHIT Gaf!

I just did a HEADSHOT (head explodes) WITH MY PUNCH! o_O
I got head shot on one dude and had a big hole in his head I could see through and he was still coming for me
deathbecomesher-hole.jpg

imagine that, but in the head.....yeah.
Damn... really don't want to be bothered with the worst version of the game. Is the ps4 copy bad in terms of framerate? If it's not a consistent 30 at the least then I might as well hold off...
I've noticed a few drops while turning the camera round and thats about it.

no real way to tell until digital foundry but someone on here a few pages back got to some outside area a few chapters in and they said it was awful, others have said it's smooth sailing with no drops at all.
I really want to know about ps4 because i don't own a pc and have no plans on a xbox unless rare suddenly rediscovers their long lost form(not going to happen but i still pray)

drotahorror

woah didnt realize 60 fps hack disabled achievements. Gonna restart. Only on chapter 3 ight now. Was wondering why the dlc wasnt in my inventory.

It may just be adding the console command that disables it. I don't even have the 60fps command on but i do have the console on. Haven't got an achievement and I'm on chapter 4. Then again, I can't even view the achievements as Steam just takes me to my profile page.

So how close does this game wind up being to RE4? Is there anything like RE4's treasure hunting? I absolutely loved finding gems and goblets and shit, inspecting the 3d models, oogling how shiny they are, and then selling to creepy WHAT ARE YA BUYIN guy for upgrades. That whole process just felt *so good* in RE4.

stn

Ok so...

1. Any impressions of the 360 version? Is it worthy of a buy?

2. Are there any unlocks you can use in a new game? Like costumes, weapons?

Thanks!

-MD-

It may just be adding the console command that disables it. I don't even have the 60fps command on but i do have the console on. Haven't got an achievement and I'm on chapter 4. Then again, I can't even view the achievements as Steam just takes me to my profile page.

Not only can I not look at my achievements, it's not showing it on my recently played nor are any of my screenshots showing up in activity.

2. Are there any unlocks you can use in a new game? Like costumes, weapons?

Costumes no, weapons yes.

gdt

Damn. Framerate was definitely choppy on the opening of the game on PS4. Way better now in chapter 2 though. The FOV and letter boxing are killing me though. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Really wanting to love this game, but it's just impossible. This is the first game I've played in ages where the framerate (playing on PS4) really effects gameplay for me, and the letterboxing and film grain for "cinematic purposes" just looks awful. It's pretty much random if you succeed at stealth, the aiming doesn't work properly, and the completely unfair de-arming minigame is not charmingly difficult but stupidly frustrating.

This is not Resident Evil 4 x The Last of Us which some people are spouting. This is not Shinji Mikami living up to the legacy of Resident Evil, this is Shinji Mikami living up to the legacy of Silent Hill: Downpour.

I hope it gets better.

AsfaeksBR

Why did the One version got a patch and the PS4 version didn't?
Could this patch possibly solve the problems with the framerate?

Okay, so the letterboxing in this game annoys me, but I can deal with it. But here's what I don't get:

Why in the hell are half of the subtitles above the bottom black bar and half are below? What is the point of that? There's more than enough room down there, why do that? That's incredibly stupid.

Furthermore when the subtitles come on during gameplay the bottom black bar gets BIGGER to accommodate them, even though there's more than enough room down there for them. Why. Why. Why.

I see no valid reason for that. It's baffling to me that they would handle the subtitles that way.

-MD-

Really wanting to love this game, but it's just impossible. This is the first game I've played in ages where the framerate (playing on PS4) really effects gameplay for me, and the letterboxing and film grain for "cinematic purposes" just looks awful. It's pretty much random if you succeed at stealth, the aiming doesn't work properly, and the completely unfair de-arming minigame is not charmingly difficult but stupidly frustrating.

Your experience is the total opposite of my experience. I stealth killed like the first 10-15 enemies all flawlessly, absolutely zero issues with aiming on every weapon, they're all very fun to use and function well. Maybe upgrade your accuracy? That's the first thing I did and never missed a shot. And the minigame is just a quick button press, not sure how that's frustrating. Playing the PC version I haven't dropped a single frame but I'm sure that aspect is annoying.

This is not Resident Evil 4 x The Last of Us which some people are spouting.

I agree and I'm glad people were bullshitting when they said this, this game feels like its own thing and is better for it.

This is not Shinji Mikami living up to the legacy of Resident Evil, this is Shinji Mikami living up to the legacy of Silent Hill: Downpour.

Eesh, can't even begin to agree with this, I rented Downpour and returned it 3 hours later it was so trash. I'm only 6 chapters in so it's a bit early but if things continue this is likely going to be in my top 2 favorite Mikami games (REmake being the other).

Yibby

Need some help with chapter 10.

Any tips how to defeat the two big guys in this small room ? Those with the hook.

Li Kao

Okay, so the letterboxing in this game annoys me, but I can deal with it. But here's what I don't get:

Why in the hell are half of the subtitles above the bottom black bar and half are below? What is the point of that? There's more than enough room down there, why do that? That's incredibly stupid.

Furthermore when the subtitles come on during gameplay the bottom black bar gets BIGGER to accommodate them, even though there's more than enough room down there for them. Why. Why. Why.

I see no valid reason for that. It's baffling to me that they would handle the subtitles that way.

Speaking of subtitles... The game is downloading for me atm so I can't check but is there language and sub options in game ? I mean, can I tell the game that I want English or Japanese audio and French subs ?
Read a pretty good review on Gamekult.fr but they say the main protag french dub leaves a lot to be desired.

Edit - I'm speaking about the Steam version, as I know that the french console version is very limited language wise.

GavinUK86

Yes! This. I don't understand why they needed to add another black border to accommodate subs. You already have black to put the subs onto!

Man, 20 mins in I'm bothered as fuck, the black bars need to be patched so you can remove them.

They're never going to remove the borders so you might aswell give up now. They're as much part of the game as anything.

Your experience is the total opposite of my experience. I stealth killed like the first 10-15 enemies all flawlessly, absolutely zero issues with aiming on every weapon, they're all very fun to use and function well. Maybe upgrade your accuracy? That's the first thing I did and never missed a shot. And the minigame is just a quick button press, not sure how that's frustrating. Playing the PC version I haven't dropped a single frame so I'm sure that aspect is annoying.

I agree and I'm glad people were bullshitting when they said this, this game feels like its own thing and is better for it.

Eesh, can't even begin to agree with this, I rented Downpour and returned it 3 hours later it was so trash. I'm only 6 chapters in so it's a bit early but if things continue this is likely going to be in my top 2 favorite Mikami games (REmake being the other).

This is 'zero issues' to you? There are first person shooters with more visibility than that. Trying to aim with the shitty reticule when the game drops to about 25FPS has you waste bullets constantly, and there is absolutely no reason why a shotgun should miss at point blank range.

It's also hard to get scared by the door smashing enemies when they clip through them all the time. Hopefully the game eventually starts being good because I'm going to end up playing REmake or Resident Evil 4 to stop myself thinking that Mikami can't make games.

psychotron

Is the resolution the same on the Xbox One version as it is on the PS4? If so, I'm going to switch my PS4 pre-order to Xbox. I don't want performance issues.

Hagi

Anyone got any tips for the chapter 3 "boss"? It's like a slightly worse version of the
fight in the RE4 village.

Coda

It seems as though they went all out with the lighting effects on the PS4 version. I noticed some minor choppiness in some sections but overall it ran decently. This game is no Bayonetta 2.

Yes! This. I don't understand why they needed to add another black border to accommodate subs. You already have black to put the subs onto!

And the thing is it's not insignificant either. It's like a 33%+ increase in size. That's huge and makes things feel incredibly cramped. Especially on a 32 inch TV like mine.

Does anyone know if turning off subtitles makes that black bar increase stop happening? It might seem petty but that kind of thing really discourages me from playing the game. :/ It's so annoying and will make me at least slightly annoyed whenever I play the game, which is obviously not something that you want to be feeling.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Anyone got any tips for the chapter 3 "boss"? It's like a slightly worse version of the
fight in the RE4 village.

There's a shotgun in one of houses with 4 rounds. Use all 4, use whatever ammo you have, then run him over to the room with the spike trap. Use that on him twice. It will kill him depending on how much life you took from him. I tried using the grenades, but I couldn't time it right. The shotgun should be in a case too. I used up my double barrel shotgun already like an idiot. The motion traps don't notice him because he's probably not human, but still. You can trigger it just right, but he kills with his thrust

The spike trap is what works the best and what did it for me. You need to time it because he's pretty fast and your stamina runs out quick.

Is it absolutely necessary to burn every single body you come across? Even the ones you didn't kill yourself?

If you decapitate them or stealth kill it also prevents them from coming back.

Everything outside of these 3 options is fair game.

EDIT:

Oh, I guess blowing them up completely is also an option.

It's funny that people are saying the One version might be running better than PS4 because when I was watching Gameinformer's test chamber this morning, which was being played on the One, it definitely looked smoother than any of the PS4 gameplay vids I was watching last night. I've also heard the PS4 version looks sharper though so maybe their was a trade-off of fps over fidelity on the One version, which I would personally prefer, especially for a game like this where you need to have quick reaction times without judder and drops getting in the way. The Eurogamer analysis will definitely be interesting.

Did a good 3 hour stint earlier, going to get back to it soon.

Also rewatched one of my earlier streams, never again, I hate the way my voice sounds. <_<

Top Bottom