• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sanctuary

Even Dead Space 1 I was never super starved for ammo, when I loaded up my TEW save earlier I had 3 pistol rounds, 1 bolt, 2 shotgun shells and a nade (the first 4-5 chapters I had tons of ammo).

I've never completely run out but I love that it gets close enough to worry me at times, very well done.

Dead Space had a lot more ammo than this, or at least it was easier to conserve ammo because your stomp actually fucking did something to a downed opponent. It was also ridiculously easy to hit targets, even moving in that game. That was my biggest problem with my initial playthrough. I focused my upgrade path entirely on the pistol to help with the sway (fully upgraded it still sways way too much so it was kind of a waste of gel) and the critical damage only helps on enemies you catch unaware. When I kept complaining about how shitty the aiming was, it was in regards to after your first shot. If you don't explode their heads, good luck hitting them with a second shot. The enemy movement + binocular zoom makes it near impossible to get another shot to the head.

Anyway, the most important early upgrades (that I didn't realize until much later) are 1-2 levels of stock per weapon as well as getting your matches up to a minimum of 10 (more is better). Skip everything else if you want to feel comfortable with ammo, especially since with the pistol when you don't explode them with one shot, it becomes a game of herd (if more than one), shoot the foot and light them all up. Plenty of ammo drops. The problem is when you're completely full, unless you don't mind backtracking to the start of the level just for 1-3 rounds.

The game is way better the second time around too for more than one reason. I'm not sure it has the replayability of RE4 though. I know you hate that comparison, but that game is ridiculously replayable. TEW might be a better horror game, but RE4 is still just a better game overall. This game feels more like how RE5 could have turned out if they had not focused on multiplayer. Although at least RE5 had an actual coherent narrative. This just plays out like someone having a long night's sleep transitioning from random nightmare to random nightmare.

Its got a lot of varied environments with some wonderful lighting and encourages exploration, its just the game kinda blows through them haphazardly that you never get a great feel for them. There's practically zero backtracking, or looking at a map and remembering how to get back to use this new key for that door and open a new area. Its very much like a more traditional action game in that regard, with "stages" you go through.

Exactly. Near the end all I could think of how much more it felt closer to a modern action game than any of the "old school" horror games outside of the clunky controls.

cerulily

The checkpoints are the same in Akumu, enemies are way more aggressive, faster, spot you more easily and 1 hit kill you. There's also remixed encounters where they add extra enemies that wouldn't be there on other difficulties to spice things up even further.

Up to chapter 6 and it was smooth sailing until this one dreaded checkpoint which took me 3 hours to get through. Felt damn good when I finally did though hah!

It's good times!

I cannot believe how long after i logged last night you were still playing. I just watched it right now.

told you that basement would suck. And the solution was so cheesy too :3

Lernaean

Banned
Just finished chapters 5 and 6.
6 was great, i enjoyed it immensely, even though i have to say
it was too damn long, i was like, 'is it ever ending?'.
Boss did
the insta kill on me about 4 times and i was pissed as hell, but once you know what to do it's easy piecey.
7 has gathered a lot of criticism here because
of its daylight setting.
I thought it was a good change of scenery, even though the engine showed all its weakness there.
Also the whole thing looked like it was a lost level in RE4. It felt so damn good.
(Mini)Boss
imo was way too easy.

Each chapter i finish, i like the game even more.
Now some sleep, the necessary evil that is work, and maybe 3 chapters tomorrow.

Maybe I'm just a season horror genre vet but Survival really wasn't all that hard to me. Did anyone else think it was a suitable challenge or are lots of folks having to move to casual?

Just finished the game.

That Final boss fight...

Felt like a combination of RE bosses. Got a turret sequence, rocket launcher, and slow mo. Don't forget the wave of enemies you fight too.

WITHE1982

I can't get through chapter 1 :/

Chainsaw guy every time. Not having fun.

when you first see him wait
until he moves then instantly sneak to grab the keys. Head out the door behind you to the left and after the cut scene just press up to get through the next section.

After the part when you hide in the locker just time your move and get to the crates on the left. Pick up a bottle and when you get a chance throw it in the passage where you came from. That should distract chainsaw dude so you can get to the next room.

I then just high tailed it to the lift.

Oh and I'm only on chapter 3 and I'm loving it so far. Sneaking is simply awesome. Creates some amazingly intense games of cat & mouse. Great game.

JoeFenix

I cannot believe how long after i logged last night you were still playing. I just watched it right now.

told you that basement would suck. And the solution was so cheesy too :3

I don't give up easy hah :)

Finished chapter 6, that took more time than all the previous chapters combined. Ridiculous stuff, every encounter is brutal.

Should be semi smooth sailing up to chapter 10 though. Atleast I hope so!

Sanctuary

Just finished the game.

That Final boss fight...

Felt like a combination of RE bosses. Got a turret sequence, rocket launcher, and slow mo. Don't forget the wave of enemies you fight too.

It kind of reminded me of a cross between
Salazar and an RE2 licker

Trickster

Just did the first chapter, da fuck is even happening?

Could someone PM me a yes/no to this question please? Does all ( or most ) of the crazy shit in this game just take place inside the head of a person?

I just got past it, but it felt like pure luck! I died an embarrassingly large amount of times for basically what is the tutorial level. I didnt know what it wanted... I watched his pattern, snuck, took my time, led him far away by throwing bottles. It just seemed like every time, he was just be like "fuck it, I know where you are" and I'd die. If it was freakin' level 1, I would have stopped playing.

I watched Lirik play some of it, and after chapter 1, Im definitely dropping it down to casual. Watching him play was frustrating, not due to his play, but the fact the the enemies seemed to get so many hits that it appears they shouldn't have. An even bigger problem than that was hit detection on his attacks. Some point blank shots simply didn't register... and it wasn't exactly a rare thing when that happened.

On top of that, the ammo scarcity that I witness is compounded by the fact that there seem to eventually a billion enemies you cant run past or stealth, and many of them take multiple headshots.

Didnt ruin too much of the game for me as I want to play it myself, but between that and Chapter 1, I'm kinda "eh" in my desire to play it right now.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Just started chapter 2, any non-spoiler tips people who are further into the game wanna give me? Stuff like the bird's nests outta Re4?

WITHE1982

Just started chapter 2, any non-spoiler tips people who are further into the game wanna give me? Stuff like the bird's nests outta Re4?

I'm not far past that TBH but the biggest tip so far for me is not to waste matches on bodies you have "sneak-killed". I wasted a few before realizing they don't get back up.

-MD-

Are you going to start your next game as a new game, or are you going with NG+? Because I think the game is quite a bit more fun with NG+, but it's a lot less challenging unless you're playing Akumu.

I don't really like the idea of getting even stronger with NG+, especially on survival. If I do end up doing a NG+ I want it to be at least on hard mode.

Are you saying it's more fun because you have more freedom to play around with stuff because you're not weak out of the gate?

So if you guys don't mind me asking, what is the general consensus on this game? I am a fan of RE and Silent Hill, but some of the complaints are scaring me away. Is it still worth the $60? I have both the Xbone and the PS4, so I'd likely get it on the PS4.

-MD-

So if you guys don't mind me asking, what is the general consensus on this game? I am a fan of RE and Silent Hill, but some of the complaints are scaring me away. Is it still worth the $60? I have both the Xbone and the PS4, so I'd likely get it on the PS4.

I personally think it's worth 60 bucks, I'm really happy with the game.

The experience on PC is without hiccups though so I have that going for me, consoles have some technical issues.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You love it, it's RE4 but without the cheesy action mixed with Silent Hill
I actually think RE4 should have been this, it makes more sense then being a Resident Evil
I really want this to sell well so we get a sequel.
I'm also convinced that Mikami can make a Silent Hill game now.

Lucael

It's ok, the game is not like this. The stupid thing is that it's supposed to be a tutorial but the main character move slowly, something that doesn't happen during the rest of the game. Or at least until chapter 4 where I'm at the moment. So movement wise it's not how the game work.

Lucael

Chapter 3 is already kicking my ass.

I'm pretty bad, aren't I?

Just take your time, like a do. I'm super cautious in this kind of game and not good at it so I'm 4 hours and 20 minutes and still need to start chapter 5 but I died only once in chapter 3 for some aiming issue. Again, try to not rush anything and take all the time you need ;). Use sounds to detect enemies and throw bottles around to lure them and stab them when they go back to their place.

LProtag

Just take your time, like a do. I'm super cautious in this kind of game and not good at it so I'm 4 hours and 20 minutes and still need to start chapter 5 but I died only once in chapter 3 for some aiming issue. Again, try to not rush anything and take all the time you need ;). Use sounds to detect enemies and throw bottles around to lure them and stab them when they go back to their place.

I was doing that.

Then I found a bomb in a chest and it blew up in my face and killed me. Anything you can do about that? I thought I would get a chance to disarm it.

yeah, i thought I was the man punching out the
two headed enemies with the long claws..

Seems the game got hipped to that and I found out the hard way that they have ANOTHER attack. instant kill no less :)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Really digging the game so far. It's seriously super good.

Rough around the edges but very good.

I did spend faaar too long running around chapter 3 with no idea what to do only to discover I just never noticed mr monster man standing in the barn. I just didn't even notice him. Was waay into looking at the pig though.

Lucael

I was doing that.

Then I found a bomb in a chest and it blew up in my face and killed me. Anything you can do about that? I thought I would get a chance to disarm it.

You just need to
open it slowly (like you do on doors), then when you spot the red light, close it, and you will have a chance to disarm it. The explanation wasn't clear to me but at last this worked.

Reedirect

Chapters 9 and 10 are absolutely amazing. Despite the fact that pieces of the story are slowly coming together, I have even less of an idea about what the fuck is going on with every minute I play the game. I love it.

antitrop

Really digging the game so far. It's seriously super good.

Rough around the edges but very good.

I did spend faaar too long running around chapter 3 with no idea what to do only to discover I just never noticed mr monster man standing in the barn. I just didn't even notice him. Was waay into looking at the pig though.
Those are some ugly fucking pigs.

LProtag

You just need to
open it slowly (like you do on doors), then when you spot the red light, close it, and you will have a chance to disarm it. The explanation wasn't clear to me but at last this worked.

Ohhh, I didn't know I could stop. Just let go of the button?

Top Bottom