• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Just polished off Mordor so its this or Aliens as my next game. Thinking this since i'm a huge RE fan.

It seems like they offer very different experiences, which is pretty awesome especially it being Halloween time and all. Really glad to have a good selection of new horror games that, in general, seem pretty good overall.

So I got the art book, and it shows a design for the enemies, stating that this is what happens if you don't burn the bodies. The haunted look bend over backwards, ribs expsosed with a bubble of sorts patrouding out of them that would explode once they got close to the main character. Guessing they cut this from the game. Maybe it made it too hard?

kodecraft

So I got the art book, and it shows a design for the enemies, stating that this is what happens if you don't burn the bodies. The haunted look bend over backwards, ribs expsosed with a bubble of sorts patrouding out of them that would explode once they got close to the main character. Guessing they cut this from the game. Maybe it made it too hard?

Ha, plus that sounds demonic as hell.

Sanctuary

Are you saying it's more fun because you have more freedom to play around with stuff because you're not weak out of the gate?

Both kind of. The early levels aren't that difficult from scratch on the second time anyway. It's mostly about the toys though and seeing how good they can get fully upgraded.

There is a part in the beginning of chapter 13 in the
subway
There's a body stuck to the wall with harpoons in it pointing to the left..that freaked me out, didn't help that its eyes are glowing.

At first I was like WHY WOULD YOU CUT THAT??!! but then I realized how often I was without matches..I would hate to be killed that way after fighting so hard to get through a battle..and imagine multiple bubble bellies.. :(

whats the link to the spoiler thread?

Ricker

On top of whats there already....probably yeah ;)

There is a part in the beginning of chapter 13 in the
subway
There's a body stuck to the wall with harpoons in it pointing to the left..that freaked me out, didn't help that its eyes are glowing.

At first I was like WHY WOULD YOU CUT THAT??!! but then I realized how often I was without matches..I would hate to be killed that way after fighting so hard to get through a battle..and imagine multiple bubble bellies.. :(

whats the link to the spoiler thread?

You played PS3 version or Xbox? I say that cause I was playing the PS3 version expecting to think it was horrible and honestly... I'm surprised how well it runs actually cause RAGE on PS3 while having a fairly smooth fps at times, had texture pop in so constant, it made me sick and I just couldn't deal with it. *turn around in circles fast. See textures cosntantly load. WHEEEEEEEEE

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Here's some random, disconnected thoughts about the entire game. It's basically a collection of "you know that one part? Pretty cool, right?"

So, lazily typed but fuck it.

I actually *really liked* 90% of the game.

The carousel level. Watching enemies being decapitated by the scythe. Perfection. The alarm and music lighting up the room was so cool. I loved sniping the gun-toting enemies from higher ground. The room with all the traps and the hook-guys? I made it through that fight with a sliver of health. It was so exhilarating.

The Keeper level. A fucking joy. I love that time pressure. Everything leading up to the fight, including the audio log mentioning the safe and the early encounter with the the Keeper as he introduces you to the big bulkhead doors and the gas made me so damn happy. Then when he broke the last valve? I must be a masochist, because I love that sort of thing.

The mansion level they showed in demos? Intense. I really enjoyed the minimal amount of backtracking it introduced. I wasn't really a fun of instant-death Ruvik, but he never showed up again and it *did* add a different type of tension. But in the end, I mostly died because of the camera in tight hallways as Ruvik followed me or teleported in front of me.

But that final descent into madness bit at the end of chapter nine with all the wires and the mannequins was excellent. I criticized the game earlier for shitty chase sequences, but I actually liked the chase through the mannequin heads. The maze that generated on the fly called for some on the spot thinking. I suppose if I died there it wouldn't have been as enjoyable.

The church and marketplace. Super fun. I really enjoyed all the action moments throughout these chapters. Learning how to deal with large groups of enemies without wasting huge amounts of ammo was a puzzle unto itself. Like, the first time, like, seven guys followed me down a narrow hallway only to electric bolted and lit on fire with one match was very rewarding.

A city ruins. The best implementation of action horror I've seen in a good while. The water stuff made me super anxious. It was unforgiving. The mannequin factory has room was a nice change of pace. The series of rooms starting with the RE4-esque opening and closing "and here's three more enemies!" gate was actually scary because by the last enemy, I'd literally used every bit of ammo I had other than a single magnum round. Having to then proceed through the following onslaught, which culminates in the cart-ride across the burnt out building was actually super stressful. Every resource I found counted and I didn't find many.

The bus chapter I could take or leave. I liked the running to the ambulance bit, but could have done without the "waste your ammo in this spider" and the defend your position onslaught as enemies attacked from above.

That said, the stealthy part of the city ruins in chapter 13ish was a real joy. Avoiding the hooded imposters and the Keeper while disarming traps was really effective, particularly because I was so happy to have more trap parts again.

And then there was that bit in the subway that had a few alarms that I failed at once only to have a bunch of enemies rise from the water. On repeat, I managed to disarm the alarm and take most of them out stealthily. I wish there were more rooms like that one.

The Laura fights were excellent. Realizing I had to burn all the bodies in the first encounter was a great "ah-ha" moment. Turning off all the fire traps was, again, totally the sort of boss-puzzle I enjoy.

The sewer bit with the organic mess leading up to the octopus boss-fight was super uninteresting from a gameplay perspective. The boss-fight itself was fairly standard. I liked playing with the power switch the open the two supply rooms, but that really was just a novelty.

When the nurse disappeared for the last time... aww. Also, they never showed who was in the last cell! The guy in the second cell showing up in the last chapter with a final warning was a nice touch. I like how he was, essentially, just a nobody in the end. That's a surprising bit of narrative restraint for a game that otherwise didn't have any. :p

Otherwise, I thought chapter fifteen was a real drag. The brain/blood rooms were the ugliest parts of the game. Not ugly as on disgusting, ugly as in low fidelity. The last section with the spot lights was boring. The last wire trap you needed to sneak by was unreasonably difficult thanks to the camera being unreasonable when up against a wall. The last boss itself was just point and shoot. No finesse or skill. The actual last boss, the twin Keepers, was fine, I guess, but I felt like I got my fill with that guy back in the meat-locker. Like, I was fine with the chapter thirteen encounters, but didn't need *more*. That enemy onslaught was fine, but again, it didn't feel very different from what I'd already dealt with in chapters three, six or eleven. It was just *more*. Stomping the brain should have been cathartic, but it didn't feel earnt.

I haven't spoken much about the early game, like pre-chapter six, but I feel like they've already been discussed to death in this thread. I essentially liked chapter one, but it was a terrible introduction to the game. Chapter two was a lot of fun, chapter three was a pretty ingenious transition from stealth to action, in hindsight. Chapter four was basically an introduction to all the concepts chapter five made good on, and yeah: chapter five was when I started to kind of dig this game.

I feel like this game is going to work really well on repeat playthroughs. I'm already looking forward to having another stab at some of what I described above. The question now is whether I have a fun run on NG+, or attempt nightmare. I'm leaning toward NG+.

Also, other than chapter fifteen, this game is fucking gorgeous. Like, I get that the IQ isn't great and the textures are weird at times, but taken as a whole it's such a nice looking game. Just, yeah, wow.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The way he
came back to life after tearing his head off and spawning behind you while the screen flashed was really creepy and cool.
Yeah, the respawn effect was really distinct and creepy. It had a real J-horror vibe. I like that it was both functional in that you knew exactly what it meant when it happened repeatedly, but also disorientating and creepy.

Sanctuary

Regarding weapons:

I never found the
automatic handgun, burst handgun or brass knuckles.
Are they unlockables?

Where did you read about these? I'm wondering if you might get these from unlocking all of the deposit boxes, or by completing the map.
You do get
two other weapons for finishing the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Where did you read about these? I'm wondering if you might get these from unlocking all of the deposit boxes, or by completing the map.
You do get
two other weapons for finishing the game.
They're in the model-viewer that unlocks once you beat the game. They might be DLC items it the future (as in, they come with the add-on campaign).

You played PS3 version or Xbox? I say that cause I was playing the PS3 version expecting to think it was horrible and honestly... I'm surprised how well it runs actually cause RAGE on PS3 while having a fairly smooth fps at times, had texture pop in so constant, it made me sick and I just couldn't deal with it. *turn around in circles fast. See textures cosntantly load. WHEEEEEEEEE

PS3, it has its issues, but overall I looked past them, there were times where the texture pop in was pretty bad but seemingly only in cutscenes, and those as we know are real time!

Lucent

Yeah, the respawn effect was really distinct and creepy. It had a real J-horror vibe. I like that it was both functional in that you knew exactly what it meant when it happened repeatedly, but also disorientating and creepy.

The poison fog was a bit annoying but I thought it was funny how it worked. It was really slow at building but if you went in a highly concentrated area it spiked your meter but if you backed out it'd go back down. The fog really made that fight more tense though.

Just finished chapter 6. I like the action and obviously can now see where the RE4 comparisons come in where I couldn't see after the first three chapters. The boss fight was awful though. I really hope it goes back to chapter 2/3 style gameplay at some point. Ugh, and a I know I bring it up with every impression, but dat framerate...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The poison fog was a bit annoying but I thought it was funny how it worked. It was really slow at building but if you went in a highly concentrated area it spiked your meter but if you backed out it'd go back down. The fog really made that fight more tense though.
I'm a total sucker for
time pressure boss fights that require distraction and, like, slowly turning valves. I might just have a weird fetish. >.>

Lucent

I'm a total sucker for
time pressure boss fights that require distraction and, like, slowly turning valves. I might just have a weird fetish. >.>

What was really weird is I was doing the valve thing...and what pops into my head as I'm doing it? That valve section in Brave Fencer Musashi. lol. That's what it felt like to me.

Not enjoying chapter

Enemies with machine guns.
Mikami pls.

Probably should spoil that just cause. Seen people get upset over things like this. lol

EDIT: Beaten by yourself! lol

The actual last boss, the twin Keepers, was fine, I guess, but I felt like I got my fill with that guy back in the meat-locker.

I wasn't expecting that at all and it freaked me out, I saw some
lock boxes
laying about but thought it would just be the same as before..was not expecting
two.

Veggy

I'm on chapter 6 and really enjoying the game so far, its been way too long since the last good survival horror game

I really hope this sells well so that we might see a resurgence in the genre

Jharp

Just finished Chapter 6 and the ramp up this game has is excellent, and I really, REALLY fucking like it. Easily going to be on my GOTY list.

I also have to admit that I've gotten well used to the letterboxing, but that said, I still hate it real fucking bad. Enough that I'm going to sell my PS4 copy and wait for a Steam sale in order to "keep" a PC copy instead.

Really sucks for the people out there with <40 inch TVs.

Sanctuary

Not enjoying chapter 11.

Enemies with machine guns.
Mikami pls.

That's why I said in an earlier post that it seems like Sebastian was not balanced around the enemies in this game compared to how Leon was sped up in pretty much every way that mattered to match the increased speed (or combat effectiveness) of the enemies in RE4. The game at time feels like the protagonist is stuck in the "old school" while the enemies are from RE4 and beyond. They aren't terribly difficult to take out, but it's just another apsect that makes the game feel like a grab bag of past games instead of its own, fully fleshed out and polished idea.

No. While in the inventory menu hit square to switch to the double barrel. Same for your crossbow bolts.

I freaking finished the game without even knowing you could switch shotguns.

I'm sorry but saying this game is not even a little scary is such a load of crap. I don't buy that for a second. I'm only up to chapter 5 but chapters 3 and 4 were intense and pretty fucking scary imo and I play almost all survival horror games I can get my hands on. Aside from that comment I do agree with the rest of this review though.

It's not scary at all, but I guess it just depends on how many horror movies or Survival/Action Horror games you've played. Chapter 3 was the best for atmosphere and nothing else reaches that level. A bunch of gore is not scary.

Also, for anyone wondering, the
chapter 10
boss is the most difficult.

Really sucks for the people out there with <40 inch TVs.

Yeah, and they aren't a big deal anyway if you watch blu-ray movies. Not that this is a movie, but on a big enough screen you kind of just forget about them after a while.

Anth0ny

Just finished chapter 1. It's pretty slow so far, don't know how I feel about that. I hear the pace picks up though, so I'm looking forward to that. This game certainly ain't RE4 right off the bat.

Best part of chapter 1. You know what I'm talking about.

Lucent

Just finished chapter 1. It's pretty slow so far, don't know how I feel about that. I hear the pace picks up though, so I'm looking forward to that. This game certainly ain't RE4 right off the bat.

lol!

But yeah it does pick up. You're not always gonna be able to stealth things. There are def times where you'll be running and/or feel overwhelmed a bit.

But enemies using spread action gatling harpoon guns are okay?

ha ha, its all relative I guess, I hope people are keeping in mind that these aren't "zombies" (though some act like it) some are more capable than others and not above using EVERYTHING they can.

Squishy3

Couldn't find the combination for the safe in Chapter 9 despite scouring every single room thoroughly and said fuck it and looked it up online. The funniest part was how the first guide I found was written by someone who felt that the location of the note(s) with the combination or the actual combination weren't important. I probably found one piece of it but didn't find the other.

That's why I said in an earlier post that it seems like Sebastian was not balanced around the enemies in this game compared to how Leon was sped up in pretty much every way that mattered to match the increased speed (or combat effectiveness) of the enemies in RE4. The game at time feels like the protagonist is stuck in the "old school" while the enemies are from RE4 and beyond. They aren't terribly difficult to take out, but it's just another apsect that makes the game feel like a grab bag of past games instead of its own, fully fleshed out and polished idea.

Agreed, it feels off.

Just uploaded my review, probably not to everyones taste as my feelings seem to be the opposite of many of yours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hJ1aw_anjU&index=1&list=PLHymdXzv20Z4pLsXop_wW1jIVyKmNVjg5

Nope, seems about right. The horror is effective most of the time, but actually playing it... eh. So many things I would've done differently.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sebastian is kind of Douche. He was writing in his diary about how is partner almost caught him looking at her ass.

Also, the conciousness sharing stuff is super wild. I'm into the lore.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Think i'm gonna do aliens till they get the patches out for this.
I think they're both *unquestionably* worth your time if you're into tense games, but yeah, this sounds like a good plan.

Couldn't find the combination for the safe in Chapter 9 despite scouring every single room thoroughly and said fuck it and looked it up online. The funniest part was how the first guide I found was written by someone who felt that the location of the note(s) with the combination or the actual combination weren't important. I probably found one piece of it but didn't find the other.

Not sure what difficulty you were playing on, but on survival
the answer was in the pictures where you got the dials from, via the number of people.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sebastian is kind of Douche. He was writing in his diary about how is partner almost caught him looking at her ass.

Also, the conciousness sharing stuff is super wild. I'm into the lore.
I thought diary Seb and actual Seb were basically two different people. You see no characterization in the actual game. It's all audio logs and diaries.

Xpliskin

You'll start developing two things from playing this game:
1. A
nurse
fetish
2. A safe phobia

Also, chapter 10 feels so out of place. What
the fuck
?

lol

To reassure you, chapter 1 is the worst chapter of the entire game imo.

It clearly is the first thing they must have worked on and tried to polish it, but it's still apparent.
It gets better by the minute.

Agreed, it feels off.

I had no problems with that part, you have the advantage at all times as long as you keep concealed when possible, and the agony bolts get you out of most situations on that level, flash bolts make any mob stealth kill victims. I plan to replay that level often with the
machine gun.

Top Bottom