• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I thought diary Seb and actual Seb were basically two different people. You see no characterization in the actual game. It's all audio logs and diaries.

Whoa what. Do mean like explicitly in the narrative or metaphorically?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
man, couldnt play at all today (well I could have, but I got into Styx and time flew), but I did manage to get fullscreen+FOV working at least

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Based Mikami. Started playing the game tonight, I'm at chapter 3 and it's awesome.

Dat atmosphere mang. And the game looks amazing, lighting is something else.

Lucent

Whoa what. Do mean like explicitly in the narrative or metaphorically?

Well, I interpreted his post to mean that Sebastian really reveals a lot in his diaries and makes it seem like he has a lot of character, but in the game's cutscenes he just doesn't have much of that. He's just "this is kinda different from how my job usually is, but whatever. I'll roll with it" and "WTF"

lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I interpreted his post to mean that Sebastian really reveals a lot in his diaries and makes it seem like he has a lot of character, but in the game's cutscenes he just doesn't have much of that. He's just "this is kinda different from how my job usually is, but whatever. I'll roll with it" and "WTF"

lol

Hes a boss. Thats how things get done.

Lucent

Hes a boss. Thats how things get done.

lol. But all the characters are like that actually. Like normal people would be freaking out and probably really shaky from all the shit going down, but all three of the KCPD guys are like -shrug- "Just another day on the job"

The only person who is out of control is Leslie or whatever his name is. lol

Are the rest of the chapters as long as 5 and 6? These two combined are taking me longer than 1-4 lol

I have only beaten the first 8 chapters so far, but chapter 7 is pretty much in line with 5 and 6. 8 is probably around chapter 1's length it felt like.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Are the rest of the chapters as long as 5 and 6? These two combined are taking me longer than 1-4 lol
There are one or two shorter chapters, but otherwise they're usually at least comparable to those two chapters in length.

Sanctuary

So how exactly do you view your death count? Did I somehow miss something after finsishing? I can't see any statistics option in game.

lol. But all the characters are like that actually. Like normal people would be freaking out and probably really shaky from all the shit going down, but all three of the KCPD guys are like -shrug- "Just another day on the job"

The only person who is out of control is Leslie or whatever his name is. lol

Yeah but what survival horror game has ever had characters giving a damn about the things going on in their world aside from a cutscene showing their reaction, or a quick mention. Most games don't tend to focus on the character and their reactions for long, because the player is an embodiment of that along with their feelings of being scared or wondering WTF is going on. Resident Evil games, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame. I mean did anyone in fatal frame every really question why the camera hurts ghosts? Not really... but I didn't care then, and don't really care now persay.

lol

He is searching for the organization that killed his child and possibly his wife, his wife had some info, what it was we'll never know but I believe that it had to do with heavy stuff, the dude has been through some stuff and is experiencing the wolrd in a dream like state, the same reason you don't freak out when you dream of a family member being 2 feet taller than normal and playing bass for the pixies while everyone is eating breakfast.. I guess i can somehow relate, I lucid dream a lot.

my last spoiler, still looking for the spoiler thread link!

Chapter 9:

jLB6Qgd.gif

Why in the unholy name of ass... isn't THE WHOLE GAME LIKE THIS? You know, instead of being shallow as shit and the most generic corridor shooting most of the time.

Lucent

Yeah but what survival horror game has ever had characters giving a damn about the things going on in their world aside from a cutscene showing their reaction, or a quick mention. Most games don't tend to focus on the character and their reactions for long, because the player is an embodiment of that along with their feelings of being scared or wondering WTF is going on. Resident Evil games, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame. I mean did anyone in fatal frame every really question why the camera hurts ghosts? Not really... but I didn't care then, and don't really care now persay.

I dunno, I played all of those games and I guess I'm just thinking about it more because they hardly talk much and it feels like more trippy stuff is happening than other games. I know Silent Hill is wtf but at least it felt like they had a decent reaction at first and then accepted it. Sebastian didn't even give a crap that
the city was shifting around and stuff. He just calmly asked where his friend was.
lol

EDIT: I think also it just feels like Sebastian hasn't experienced this stuff before from what I can tell based on his diary entries so far. I just feel like there should be a bigger initial reaction.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
What scares you? This game scares me as much as Dead Space 1 did, and by that I mean it doesn't at all lol

You finished it?
The part where you have to kill Laura with fire while she chases you or the Keeper didn't scare you one bit?

Chapter 9:

jLB6Qgd.gif

Why in the unholy name of ass... isn't THE WHOLE GAME LIKE THIS? You know, instead of being shallow as shit and the most generic corridor shooting most of the time.

Because the game clearly is clearly not for you. :D Dat post history.

I dunno, I played all of those games and I guess I'm just thinking about it more because they hardly talk much and it feels like more trippy stuff is happening than other games. I know Silent Hill is wtf but at least it felt like they had a decent reaction at first and then accepted it. Sebastian didn't even give a crap that
the city was shifting around and stuff. He just calmly asked where his friend was.
lol

EDIT: I think also it just feels like Sebastian hasn't experienced this stuff before from what I can tell based on his diary entries so far. I just feel like there should be a bigger initial reaction.

Did you beat it yet?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I like how people argue over whether a game is scary or not. Like it'll result in someone saying "oh yeah, I actually was scared by that" or "oh, I guess I wasn't scared by that".

It's probably because I used to frequent RE-specific boards, where the loonies lived, but I rank conversations like this as the lowest (innocuous) form of internet discourse. :p

Chapter 9:

jLB6Qgd.gif

I normally don't agree with you :p
But this time you're right^^. This is the best chapter of the game: best atmosphere, nice puzzles (normal/hard difficulty) and clever enemy placement. This is what the game should have been except for
the stupid one hit kill bastard (sorry)
I really think Mikami wanted to make an "RE 1+4" mix based on stealth gameplay (chapter 2 and 3 are connected, chapter 9 is basically RE 1) and Bethesda said "Nope we need some shooting in this game or it won't sell".

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
But this time you're right^^. This is the best chapter of the game: best atmosphere, nice puzzles (normal/hard difficulty) and clever enemy placement. This is what the game should have been except for
I really think Mikami wanted to make an "RE 1+4" mix based on stealth gameplay (chapter 2 and 3 are connected, chapter 9 is basically RE 1) and Bethesda said "Nope we need some shooting in this game or it won't sell".
Your assumption about Bethesda is baseless. By all recent accounts, Bethesda basically threw money at Machine Games and Tango and said "you make the game, we'll figure out how to market it".

ak1276

Banned
I like how people argue over whether a game is scary or not. Like it'll result in someone saying "oh yeah, I actually was scared by that" or "oh, I guess I wasn't scared by that".

It's probably because I used to frequent RE-specific boards, where the loonies lived, but I rank conversations like this as the lowest (innocuous) form of internet discourse. :p

For once, you and I are in total agreement.

NOT HAVING NIGHTMARE MODE AVAILABLE FROM THE BEGINNING DID THIS GAME A DISSERVICE. THE FEAR IS REAL IN THAT MODE.

It's pointless and highly subjective..but I would like to know if there is something that has collectively terrified people in a game..

I take it, this one will end up pretty standalone... Welp, at the very least 7 and 8 also kinda ramped up in the realm of actiony horror, after 5 and 6 almost got my blood boiling because of developer betrayal. Now I'm just starting to think about not trading this in for Bayonetta 2, lol...

Carbonox

Best way to describe Chapter 10 is by calling it a Resident Evil finale.

The bosses/sub-bosses one after the other, the rush to escape, etc.

Incredible stuff.

Chapter 11 is very interesting so far.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That's why I said in an earlier post that it seems like Sebastian was not balanced around the enemies in this game compared to how Leon was sped up in pretty much every way that mattered to match the increased speed (or combat effectiveness) of the enemies in RE4. The game at time feels like the protagonist is stuck in the "old school" while the enemies are from RE4 and beyond. They aren't terribly difficult to take out, but it's just another apsect that makes the game feel like a grab bag of past games instead of its own, fully fleshed out and polished idea.

It does if you're sweeping your weapon around and backing off the enemy. I think to put an enemy in a trap requires thinking or at least some logic to speed. You have to guess which way to go instead of just running away. Even if you run away you aren't guaranteed that that's a 100% exit.

steven28

I have just reached chapter 7,i like everything about the game so far,even the difficulty of the game feels spot on.It's not really scary to me but it's a very tense experience,Knowing how to deal with the hordes of enemies with so little resources is brilliant.The game has great art direction and atmosphere,combat is very satisfying,really like the way the guns feel,especially the headshots.If it keeps this quality up i think it will be my game of the year.

Just some impressions from me.....In the opening cutscene I noticed the lip syncing was bad, the voice acting cheesy and the character models and graphics were not very good.....so I was like "Okay so they are going the cheesy b-grade route just like Resident Evil, I can dig that"....but then I noticed it wasn't all a design decision and may infact come down to a lack of talent and experience with the hardware (I think this is Tango's first game right?), I started to panic....I really wanted this game to be amazing, then the cutscene ends and you pull up outside the mansion and that's where the shonky framerate and pretty crummy graphics hit me. I was so disappointed...I was like "Damn, this game might end up being pretty bad!" Anyways ventured inside and after the escape scene where you are dumped in the sewers, you climb out and there is a squeaky fan slowly spinning at the end of the corridor, the sound effects, the shadows/lighting just reminded me of a scene in Resident Evil: Remake (at bottom of mansion in the hallway there is a nice shadow of a spinning fan)...it was in this moment that I realised that this game knew exactly what it was doing and that it was going to be amazing. Every second of the game from this onwards was just pure bliss for me.

Chapter 2 had my jaw on the floor pretty much the whole time, the discovery of the awesome levelling up system, the mirror doorways, all the hidden items, the fucked up enemies, the most atmospheric graphics i've seen in ANY game, it was just one awesome thing after another. Aside from the black borders and sometimes terrible framerate this game is just pure perfection. The combat is amazing, a real weighty feel to the gunplay and melee combat. I like how the enemies only take a few bullets and you also have a limited supply. I'd rather it like this than have heaps of ammo and enemies take more bullets. Each shot seems to really make a difference (especially headshots).

MINOR SPOILERS (all within 1st hour of gameplay)
I managed to find quite a lot of upgrade jars (I searched every nook and cranny about 2-3 times lol). Currently have 32 bullet capacity, 20% crit,120% dmg and 4.0 degrees sway on handgun, also 10 matchsticks, 4 grenades and 3 stimpack capacity. I thought I would do up all my stock because had heaps of extra supplies lying around that I couldn't carry and i'm the biggest hoarder ever. Near the begining of Chapter 3 when I went back to the asylum instead of being allowed to save I was taken to a back room somewhere, I proceeded with caution (lantern out, sneaking etc), noticed the nurse standing right at the back of the room, it was very dark and foreboding so I just stood there and watched her for a few seconds, then as I slowly crept forward a small key icon appeared in the bottom corner of the screen (just like the one I had found earlier), it was then that I realised that I wasn't in danger and that I was actually being rewarded!! Ohh fuck yea!! Also love how she just jingles the key endlessly until you press the prompt lol

Playing on Survival mode and I think i'm currently near the end of chapter 3, some crazy guy tied up in a barn but haven't had to fight him yet. I'm at work now running on about 3 hours sleep lol. Can't wait to go home and play, infact I won't be doing anything else all weekend...the game is simply incredible and could end up being the best game i've ever played....it's certainly looking like that so far! The lighting/shadows are absolutely incredible, game is just dripping with exactly the type of atmosphere I love! There is just a huge air of eeriness and mystery about everything and even though it's so much like Resident Evil 4, all the unknowns are just pushing my excitement and fun factor through the roof! Thank you Shinji mate, thank you so much, I fucking love this game!

NOT HAVING NIGHTMARE MODE AVAILABLE FROM THE BEGINNING DID THIS GAME A DISSERVICE. THE FEAR IS REAL IN THAT MODE.

It's pointless and highly subjective..but I would like to know if there is something that has collectively terrified people in a game..

I'm actually on ch.5 Nightmare for my second play through and I'm having a much easier time so far than on survivor.

Sitting on 38 rounds for my revolver with plenty of shotgun shells and syringes :D

Not a fan of the Chapter 9 gimmick. Love the environment, but those
random Ruvik spawns + 1 hit kills + wonky hiding mechanic that doesn't work half the time was not a good combination. He actually cornered me in the 2nd brain puzzle room and I pretty much had no way to get around him.
Had to abuse the save room like crazy. Shame such a potentially great chapter was tainted by that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I dont understand this point that a lot of people are making about the characters not freaking out over whats happening... when exactly did any of the Resident Evil characters freak out about all the monsters and shit they were facing? Its the same thing

Sanctuary

It does if you're sweeping your weapon around and backing off the enemy. I think to put an enemy in a trap requires thinking or at least some logic to speed. You have to guess which way to go instead of just running away. Even if you run away you aren't guaranteed that that's a 100% exit.

I can't even tell if you were replying to the right person. This doesn't even make any sense in regards to what I said.

I'm actually on ch.5 Nightmare for my second play through and I'm having a much easier time so far than on survivor.

Sitting on 38 rounds for my revolver with plenty of shotgun shells and syringes :D

That's because you know what to expect and how to be more efficient. You also know what upgrades are actually worth using early on.

Just some impressions from me.....

Might want to add spoiler tags to your slight spoiler.

I dont understand this point that a lot of people are making about the characters not freaking out over whats happening... when exactly did any of the Resident Evil characters freak out about all the monsters and shit they were facing? Its the same thing

Replay the intro and early section of RE and RE2. They don't really "freak out" but they definitely behave a lot more to what an actual human would. Not "Yeah...I'm just Dick Tracy and I've seen it all before, no big deal". Doesn't really matter though because the acting is all around terrible, which is surprising considering who the actors were. Not that they are oscar worthy performers, but they all did well in past and current television works. I wonder if there just wasn't any actual directing involved and if they were simply reading their lines and having to guess how to react.

glad to see others loving it for what it is, I feel its a masterpiece and can't wait for what Mikami has in store next , hoping beyond hope that there is a sequel..

93201a1578664bd7eee0b93491fe53f5.jpg

Thats part of the problem, you already know so much, had it been your first forray through the game it would have been banana's, I think the most hardcore players would have appreciated more!

Not a fan of the Chapter 9 gimmick. Love the environment, but those
random Ruvik spawns + 1 hit kills + wonky hiding mechanic that doesn't work half the time was not a good combination. He actually cornered me in the 2nd brain puzzle room and I pretty much had no way to get around him.
Had to abuse the save room like crazy. Shame such a potentially great chapter was tainted by that.

chapter 10 is next...come back and tell me about that shit when you done

antitrop

Harpoon Bolt + Match makes the beginning of Chapter 5 a piece of cake.
And the invisible guys drop 1,000 gel points when they die? Shit I wish 20 of them would come at me.

Top Bottom