• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Chapter 9 and 10 HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!! That is the game I was hoping this would be BRILLIANT!!!!! Such cool environments with a nice mix of atmosphere, puzzles and action. Chapter 10 in particular is the best one so far. The way everything is designed is so perfect, so intense. Then
there are the boss battles, SO GOOD! Now chapter 9 my piss some people off cause of the one hit kills, save often, I did. I loved all of it, I feel like the game has completely hit its groove.

Some spoilers!

I loved the mansion setting I said before I was not a fan of the slower parts in this game but this area was so well designed and had the constant threat from Ruvic that I was on the edge the entire time. I loved exploring the place, no one makes mansions better. Then ch.10 could easily join the best areas from RE4. When you turn on the power and the entire level comes alive with traps, then this new enemy comes bursting out of the walls, so awesome! The double boss fight! First Laura was just incredible, it reminded me a far more complex Verdugo battle. Then there was giant human corpse monster thing, I was able to make it extended that eye ball thing out twice but after that it was destroying every hiding place I tried to reach. I loved hiding in the room only to have it reach in and throw me through a wall!

That was like 4 hours of the best gaming I have done all year.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What about the
beating the game under 5hr achievement?
Do you get anything other than that?
Infinite ammo/RPG perhaps?

No idea yet, though I may try once I eventually complete Akumu difficulty. However, one of the unlockables you mentioned is unlocked in another method.

tesqui

I got all the map fragments last night. When you collect them all, head back to the map, and it should be glowing. Investigate it, and when you do...
a weapon cache case will appear on the desk behind you, inside you get the High-Penetration Sniper Rifle and Burst Handgun.

awesome! thanks.

Dusk Golem

Is it possible to find ammo for
the machine gun and rocket launcher in the game world?

Nope, and unlike bolts you can't craft for it, so I have my suspicions.
Maybe beating the final boss again would restock it? I dunno. I suspect beating Akumu difficulty will get you Infinite Ammo, but that's just a suspicion.

kodecraft

It's a brain inside a glass dome mounted to an arrow. The brain attracts the haunted and personally I've found them to be super effective in certain scenarios.

They can group up a large pack of enemies and keep them focused on something other than you while you proceed to blow them up.

They're definitely not useless in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip!

Sanctuary

you have to throw the bottle at them to stun them and you have to be in stealth mode (crouched) to stealth them from the front(that sucks and is so cumbersome)! upgrade your matches, you'll leave more matches behind than you actually pick up due to the constraints! I gamed the key locker into giving me all 7 gels (5000) or my keys(save, open not what you want, load and repeat, if you're a dirty cheater like me that's no prob), upgrade is more important than ammo to me.

What's funny is, I didn't even realize you could stun them with the bottle and do the face stab until you made a random comment about it a few days ago. I had already pretty much finished the game at that point. On my second playthrough I'd been using it for stealth kills whenever there was a potential to. It doesn't seem to work against the fatter versions, even though they get stunned and even though you can do normal stealth kills.

What's strange is, it even tells you in the tutorial menu that bottles can stun enemies, but I didn't remember it saying that during the initial sequence where it shows you how to use them.

On a side note, I feel bad for those not able to play this on a decent PC. I was worried about how it would run due to the outrageously wrong recommended specs, but loading times were super fast and it never dropped below 30fps once for me. On my second playthrough I unlocked the fps to 60 and it makes a huge difference. Downside is in any open area with campfires or fog particle effects it can drop all the way back down to 30 and I'm not sure why. Bethesda said that they are going to be releasing a patch for the 60 fps unlock though so maybe that will fix it. Regardless, when there's no fires or fog, it's smooth as fuck.

So those who have beaten the game and are doing the different difficulty modes explain to me how it all works. Do you keep upgrades across difficulty modes? Is the hard mode and akumu tied together in any way. Are collectables shared across playthroughs?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That's a shame if incendiary/poison bolts don't exist without the fighting chance pack. I love shooting incendiaries on the fat guys so they become a fire sprinkler of death.

Right? That stuff was non-stop crazy. I can see why people would count them as their top chapters. Chapter 10 was just a rollercoaster of wtf and felt like you were playing through 3 different sections. The
spinning blade with the low walls was funny. The enemies getting hit by it. I laughed when the guy with the mask got hit and it shattered and he flew backwards. XD

Haha,
when the blades first started spinning I didn't even realize it, the Haunted actually ducked and I got my head lobbed off. I really liked luring them out to get killed by it though.

chapter 10 is just

jamesbrownwow.gif

After going through a trap gauntlet hell with those 2 whateverthefucks, it really effectively makes you go "SHIT" when you reach that cage and already see Laura crawling around it. After actually fighting through all of that I was the lowest on supplies I've been in a long time then here comes another boss and it's just like...breh.

A lot of that along with the story beats made it feel like end of the game tier. Seeing I still have a handful of chapters left is pretty crazy.

Sanctuary

So those who have beaten the game and are doing the different difficulty modes explain to me how it all works. Do you keep upgrades across difficulty modes? Is the hard mode and akumu tied together in any way. Are collectables shared across playthroughs?

You only keep upgrades during NG+ and you can only do a NG+ for the difficulties you've actually finished. Collectables are shared in NG+, but just like a normal game, if you find an item in a specific chapter and then restart that chapter you lose whatever progress you had for that chapter.

One thing I'm curious about is if you were to skip Nightmare and simply finish Akumu, if you get the achievement for Nightmare as well. Seems like in most games anymore you do, but I haven't really looked to see if there's a "Casual" achievement after finishing Survival.

Lucent

Haha,
when the blades first started spinning I didn't even realize it, the Haunted actually ducked and I got my head lobbed off. I really liked luring them out to get killed by it though.

Yeah actually the first couple of times I died to the
blades because I accidentally stood up once because I wasn't sure if he'd automatically crouch again after jumping a wall and another time and enemy came up and choked me and the blade took us both out. lol!

Dusk Golem

When you complete the game, you make a 'Cleared Game' save file, and on that file you can play with all your upgrades, collectibles, and unlocked stuff on the difficulty you've beaten and lower. Chapter select is available, can load from your point or choose 'New Game+' to select a chapter (what you did in the chapter only saves once you've completed the chapter, though). Carries all stats to whatever difficulty you select on that save file.

However, to play Nightmare or Akumu you need to start a new game save, as you can only select a higher difficulty by selecting New Game. Thus you start from scratch with all your weapons, upgrades, collectibles. When you finish the game on that difficulty, you'll then get a clear save file on THAT difficulty and can select below the difficulty you've completed. It will keep your stats from your Nightmare/Akumu playthrough though, and not your Survival Playthrough.

You only keep upgrades during NG+ and you can only do a NG+ for the difficulties you've actually finished. Collectables are shared in NG+, but just like a normal game, if you find an item in a specific chapter and then restart that chapter you lose whatever progress you had for that chapter.

One thing I'm curious about is if you were to skip Nightmare and simply finish Akumu, if you get the achievement for Nightmare as well. Seems like in most games anymore you do, but I haven't really looked to see if there's a "Casual" achievement after finishing Survival.

When you beat Survival, you also get the Casual achievement.

In NG+ the difficulty level is the same or lower than your first playthrough. For example you can't begin on nightmare or akumu if you have beaten it on casual. Also akumu is unlocked by finishing it on survival only. Yes collectibles,gel and weapons with the ammo you beat the game first time, carry to NG+.

Also the locks that you've unlocked in the hospital hub and the statues that you have smashed to get the keys.

Lucent

Fuck Chapter 7 and that boss. Fuck them in the ass!

lol he's not that bad. I loved that chapter. The
fog can be confusing, but if you run into really thick fog and the meter jumps, back out of it and find a valve.
Also use/craft a freezebolt or two for the
final valve so you have time to turn it without him respawning.

EDIT: And I mean use the freezebolts on
him, not the valve
. Just wanted to be clear on that. lol.

Sanctuary

Yup, I activated it and it's been incredibly useful on Akumu difficulty.

Hunting Shotgun is powerful but eats up shotgun ammo very quickly (love its reload animation, though). Poison Bolts are mostly useless I think except to distract enemies. It only distracts nearby enemies in my experience, and usually makes them check it out curiously. Will kill Haunted, distract bosses, but better bolts for distraction. Good for some tougher Haunted, though, and if you want to keep a crowd together for something else.

Incendiary Bolts are amazing though. They look really cool, and are extremely useful. Worth a lot of trap parts to make though. I'll try and make a gif of them really quickly here, they were insanely good as placed traps.

Here's a quick gif I made of them:

SpectacularComplexCockatiel.gif

They last for about 10-15 seconds before breaking. Also useful for shooting into a crowd and having a burning Haunted stumble around setting everyone else on fire.

Wait what, those bolts are from the Hunting Pack? I thought that just gave green gel and the shotgun and that the bolts were standard stuff. If Incendiary are not standard then I kind of feel bad for those that can't use them, although after the midpoint of the game I stopped using them anyway thanks to Flash and Harpoon giving the most bang for the buck.

So at this point we don't know what the game unlocks when you beat:

Nightmare
Akuma
Under 5 horus
Getting all keys

That sound right?

Err, someone has surely beaten Nightmare by now. I have ten hours into it so far (first clear took me 17), but I've been spending most of my time restarting chapters looking for keys and map fragments.

Nightmare
Akuma
Under 5 horus
Getting all keys

That sound right?

One of those better give me an unlimited rocket launcher.

Just to be clear Nightmare and Akumu are two separate difficulties. Akumu is not just the one hit death version of nightmare?

Under 5 hours can be done with all upgrades I assume.

Lucent

Wait what, those bolts are from the Hunting Pack? I thought that just gave green gel and the shotgun and that the bolts were standard stuff. If Incendiary are not standard then I kind of feel bad for those that can't use them, although after the midpoint of the game I stopped using them anyway thanks to Flash and Harpoon giving the most bang for the buck.

Yeah flash and harpoon are the cheapest to make, too. I rarely make any of the other bolts. I just hope to find them. Only ever craft normal and flash. I only make freeze and incendiary if I need them for specific bosses.

Sanctuary

Yeah flash and harpoon are the cheapest to make, too. I rarely make any of the other bolts. I just hope to find them. Only ever craft normal and flash. I only make freeze and incendiary if I need them for specific bosses.

I've only found the Freeze bolt to be super specific and I never ever actually make them. Then again, after you fully upgrade Harpoon, there's not really any reason to waste materials on anything else.

What I don't understand either is what is the point of the Lightning bolt? On bosses it seems to have a reduced stun duration and for normal enemies you get a lot more mileage out of an upgraded Flash.

I didn't know the Poison bolts were from the Hunting pack either. They seem rather shitty actually too and I've only gotten them to actually work in a few situations. In those situations, Flash would have done the same and for less materials.

I liked Incindiary, but stopped using them and never bothered to upgrade them. They kind of work like a better Explosive bolt, although I'm not sure if Explosive does more damage to single targets or not. Seems somewhat redundant.

What I don't understand either is what is the point of the Lightning bolt? On bosses it seems to have a reduced stun duration and for normal enemies you get a lot more mileage out of an upgraded Flash.

I used them alot on the boss in chapter 14. Kept the fucker in place so I could throw my grenades at him lol.

JoeFenix

I got all the map fragments last night. When you collect them all, head back to the map, and it should be glowing. Investigate it, and when you do...
a weapon cache case will appear on the desk behind you, inside you get the High-Penetration Sniper Rifle and Burst Handgun.

Badass! Have you started working on a Goddess Statue guide?

I'm found a fair amount but it looks like I'm still missing a good 15+.

Sanctuary

I used them alot on the boss in chapter 14. Kept the fucker in place so I could throw my grenades at him lol.

Which boss was that again?

I am almost afraid to upgrade the harpoon all the way cause it sounds like it would break the game.Its a super weapon at that point.

I only really used them on the high health enemies/bosses or those that you really want DEAD asap like the
fake Ruvik.

Edit: hah, just read what you get for collecting the map. I actually wondered if that's what you would get or if that was
DLC
. That also must mean that you also get
another weapon or two from other unlocks. Those you can see in the model viewer

Dusk Golem

Nightmare
Akuma
Under 5 horus
Getting all keys

That sound right?

Yup, and maybe getting all the documents/fully upgrading.

I say this as if getting all the map fragments gets you something, would anything be obtained by getting all the documents? I have my suspicions, since I am aware there is one missing persons poster you can only get on New Game+.

There is a large number of achievements dedicated to upgrading. Does something happen if Sebastian is fully upgraded? I doubt it, but maybe a certain unlockable upgrade skill becomes available, for example?

Lucent

I've only found the Freeze bolt to be super specific and I never ever actually make them. Then again, after you fully upgrade Harpoon, there's not really any reason to waste materials on anything else.

I didn't know the Poison bolts were from the Hunting pack either. They seem rather shitty actually too and I've only gotten them to actually work in a few situations. In those situations, Flash would have done the same and for less materials.

I liked Incindiary, but stopped using them and never bothered to upgrade them. They kind of work like a better Explosive bolt, although I'm not sure if Explosive does more damage to single targets or not. Seems somewhat redundant.

Flash doesn't work on everything though. That boss at the end of chapter
seems to
ignore them unless its eye is out.

Sanctuary

the octopus

Oh, the guy that
spit the leeches
?
Because that's the one fight that I feel would be the most troublesome on Akumu. I also tried using the Lightning bolt on him and it didn't really stun him long enough to warrant using when you factor in weapon or bolt switching time.

Flash doesn't work on everything though. That boss at the end of chapter
seems to
ignore them unless its eye is out.

Yeah I know Flash doesn't work on everything although I guess I didn't mention it, but I was thinking about it when saying how Lighthing seems to have a reduced time on bosses. Freeze actually seems to work better on bosses (even with its own reduced time), so I still don't see the purpose of Lightning. Flash on everything but bosses and on bosses Freeze or just trying to burn it down as quickly as possible with your most damaging shots. I would still never waste materials on anything other than Flash and Harpoon, but on my current run I'll be upgrading all of the bolts I never bothered with.

Any idea if the Hunting Pack bolts are required to be fully upgraded too? Seems like that would be kind of odd since it's DLC.

I guess this could be spoilery so you can tag it. Is there no extra mode after you finish the game? That would be kind of weird not to have knowing Mikami. But I guess DLC has removed that.

Dusk Golem

Oh, the guy that
spit the leeches
?
Because that's the one fight that I feel would be the most troublesome on Akumu. I also tried using the Lightning bolt on him and it didn't really stun him long enough to warrant using when you factor in weapon or bolt switching time.

He's definitely one of the parts I'm really worried about. When I initially fought him, I sort of just forced it and took all the hits. I have no idea what I'm going to do about him on Akumu.

Lucent

So about that chapter
boss...did they change its appearance in the final game or is it that this boss is still n and they just happened to make them both look similar and I haven't run into him yet since I'll be starting chapter 11 tonight. lol

A pic of the boss I've seen before the game came out. Click.

Sanctuary

He's definitely one of the parts I'm really worried about. When I initially fought him, I sort of just forced it and took all the hits. I have no idea what I'm going to do about him on Akumu.

Me too. I got sick of trying to hit them and just started ignoring them when searching for
the boss.

So about that chapter
boss...did they change its appearance in the final game or is it that this boss is still n and they just happened to make them both look similar and I haven't run into him yet since I'll be starting chapter 11 tonight. lol

That's not a boss. You should be seeing them soon.

And I think I keep confusing chapters. Which chapter had the really annoying boss fight
in the garage that has the two rooms with items to hide in briefly against the long armed dog-thing that mutates near the end into one-shot mode
? Is that
chapter 9?
If so, that's the most difficult fight in the entire game.

Dusk Golem

I guess this could be spoilery so you can tag it. Is there no extra mode after you finish the game? That would be kind of weird not to have knowing Mikami. But I guess DLC has removed that.

There's no extra mode, but there are unlockable things. One unlockable thing is a model viewer, which is much cooler than it sounds. The Keeper/Boxman DLC may be like this though, we don't know what it's like outside of you playing challenge maps as The Keeper.

Lucent

That's not a boss. You should be seeing them soon.

wtf =l

EDIT: I played just a tiny bit of chapter
last night before quitting though because I kept hearing how that was an
urban environment and shit went crazy with the guns. I played up to where you find the magnum and decided to mess around with it since I wasn't gonna save. Man that thing is awesome on normal enemies. Feels just as awesome as it does n the RE games. Instant head explosions.

So about that chapter

That's
Shigyo, no?

Nuke Soda

I am slowly doing a 180 degree turn on this game. Chapters 8-10 were pretty fun. On chapter 11
Just past fake one hit kill Ruvik.
Going to play a lot more later tonight.

Dusk Golem

So about that chapter

Not the same.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh, the guy that
spit the leeches
?

Yeah I know Flash doesn't work on everything although I guess I didn't mention it, but I was thinking about it when saying how Lighthing seems to have a reduced time on bosses. Freeze actually seems to work better on bosses (even with its own reduced time), so I still don't see the purpose of Lightning. Flash on everything but bosses and on bosses Freeze or just trying to burn it down as quickly as possible with your most damaging shots. I would still never waste materials on anything other than Flash and Harpoon, but on my current run I'll be upgrading all of the bolts I never bothered with.

Any idea if the Hunting Pack bolts are required to be fully upgraded too? Seems like that would be kind of odd since it's DLC.

IIRC you can't upgrade the poison/incendiary bolts at all.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
These questions have probably been answered before, but what upgrade path would you guys recommend? I have just beaten chapter 4 and have only upgraded health and 1 or 2 other small things. The extra shotgun is pretty good but obviously I can't upgrade it, so I was just going to use it un-upgraded throughout the game

Also I assume the game will only resume from a hard save and not a checkpoint? I'm pretty experienced at survival horror but I'm finding it tough so far, as much as I love the game it's killing system's are not really gelling with me yet (I think it's tutorials are poor). Final question: are there any spiders in it? Can't be too sure with Mikami

Dusk Golem

Actually, speaking of this, I've noticed certain demo areas haven't been in the final game.

They seemed to have completely removed the cabin fight for example in one of the earliest demo videos, the extended gameplay. The area is still in the game, but the actual event never happens and now serves a different purpose.

Both the sections brought up in the PAX East video demo aren't in the game either. Maybe they took them out due to negative reception? But the areas described in both segments of the PAX East demo never actually happen in the game.

I was reminded of this as the monster linked to above,
Shigyo
, was never fought in the game, but in the PAX East video demonstration, they definitely brought up Sebastian fighting it.

Sanctuary

These questions have probably been answered before, but what upgrade path would you guys recommend? I have just beaten chapter 4 and have only upgraded health and 1 or 2 other small things.

Also I assume the game will only resume from a hard save and not a checkpoint? I'm pretty experienced at survival horror but I'm finding it tough so far, as much as I love the game it's killing system's are not really gelling with me yet (I think it's tutorials are poor). Final question: are there any spiders in it? Can't be too sure with Mikami

Upgrade your stock 2-3 levels per weapon so you aren't leaving ammo behind.
Upgrade your run at least two times.
By chapter 8-9 I believe
Upgrade your matches to at least 10 (more is better).
You really don't want to upgrade health at all. Upgrade syringes if anything.
Upgrade shotgun damage as well as Harpoon Bolt (try to max it eventually)
Upgrade Flash bolt to at least 10s
Upgrade Pistol critical to 50%.

Game does resume from checkpoints.

Lucent

Actually, speaking of this, I've noticed certain demo areas haven't been in the final game.

They seemed to have completely removed the cabin fight for example in one of the earliest demo videos, the extended gameplay. The area is still in the game, but the actual event never happens and now serves a different purpose.

Both the sections brought up in the PAX East video demo aren't in the game either. Maybe they took them out due to negative reception? But the areas described in both segments of the PAX East demo never actually happen in the game.

I always wish they would include stuff like this in the full game somehow. Like a deleted scenes type thing where you could play them out after you beat the game or something. lol. I find scrapped areas and stuff really cool to look at. Seeing the removed stuff from RE2 that was in RE1.5 was really interesting to me.

Dusk Golem

Just editing together a death montage of the first three chapters on Akumu right now. Thought I'd take this snapshot to show you guys why disarming bombs on Akumu is not a good idea.

Wall_Trap.png

That's the first wall mine.
I've actually gotten very good at disarming them, I almost never fail.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Upgrade your stock 2-3 levels per weapon so you aren't leaving ammo behind.
Upgrade your run at least two times.
By chapter 8-9 I believe
Upgrade your matches to at least 10 (more is better).
You really don't want to upgrade health at all. Upgrade syringes if anything.
Upgrade shotgun damage as well as Harpoon Bolt (try to max it eventually)
Upgrade Flash bolt to at least 10s
Upgrade Pistol critical to 50%.

Game does resume from checkpoints.

Ok thanks, so I'm better off using the standard shotgun and upgrading it? is there a particular reason I shouldn't upgrade my health, seems an obvious one.

Lernaean

Banned
Just to clarify. Starting a New Game so you can play a higher difficulty (Nightmare or Akumu) does not carry your upgrades and gear, right?
Also, finished chapters 7,8 and 9 tonight. OMG!

Sanctuary

Ok thanks, so I'm better off using the standard shotgun and upgrading it? is there a particular reason I shouldn't upgrade my health, seems an obvious one.

Because when you restart from a death you are not at full health. I'm not sure if it's a percentage or an exact amount of health points (which would mean upgrading your health in that case is useless). Full health packs are very rare and syringes can't even give you half of your starting health without a few upgrades into them. You don't need to be at full health all of the time anyway, you just need around half so you can take a hit or two and still be able to move at normal speed.

Actually, no idea about upgraded shotgun vs double-barrel. I never actually even knew you could switch to the double until after finishing the game. Also not sure if any of the "shotgun" bonuses actually work on the double-barrel or not. I guess the easiest way to check is to just do one upgrade in stock and see if both change.

Dusk Golem

Just to clarify. Starting a New Game so you can play a higher difficulty (Nightmare or Akumu) does not carry your upgrades and gear, right?
Also, finished chapters 7,8 and 9 tonight. OMG!

Correct, but you can play on any chapter on New Game+ on the difficulty you've beaten the game on or lower with all your weapons/upgrades/unlockables.

JoeFenix

Just editing together a death montage of the first three chapters on Akumu right now. Thought I'd take this snapshot to show you guys why disarming bombs on Akumu is not a good idea.

Wall_Trap.png

That's the first wall mine.
I've actually gotten very good at disarming them, I almost never fail.

Are you playing on PC? I've heard it's alot easier to time in that version because there's less input lag/delay on the button press.

I usually just disarm them when they're right after a checkpoint, otherwise it's just too risky.

Top Bottom