• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Mupod

I have to ask it; With everyone playing/completing the game now, does it make you all more or less excited for the DLC? (playing as Boxman and the two-part Juli Kidnman campaign DLC).

I'm still pretty far from the end, but maybe. I'm not against the concept of DLC or anything, I just tend to move on from a game once I beat it. That said, Dead Space 2 and RE5 both had post-launch DLC that I bought and played as soon as they came out. And RE5's was awesome.

Ein Bear

Finally bought this today and just played the first two chapters.

I know it's not exactly fair to compare them, considering that Mikami hardly programs these things single-handedly, but the technical shortcomings (the way your character handles is a bit sloppy, the textures are dodgy, and that framerate...) are a bit disappointing after RE4's performance was rock-solid, and it was probably the best looking game of it's generation.

That said, I'm quite enjoying it so far. As someone who considers RE4 to be my favourite game of all time, Chapter 2 gave me some serious Village-vibes, and made me very happy indeed.

Ok, getting the hang of it more. I think the problem is that ch.1-2, train you on stealth and then ch.3 throws you into action and non-linear design and I didn't know a lot of things so it was bad luck combined with frustrating.

-Like knowing that there's a save point to use as a base for each area is really really helpful.
-Knowing that you can disarm trap chests by opening slightly and letting go and opening again is helpful.
-leg shot to burn is helpful
-Having to rush -> duck -> stab for blinded stealth kills as opposed to just rush a blinded enemy and not get the prompt is helpful.

Things I still need help with:

-I can't figure out enemy luring and burning. If I wait until they get too close they hit me hard or kill me, if I light something from a bit away, they're afraid and won't go near it.

-Related, I can't figure out how to use hay stacks. It seems like there should be a way to move them around and use as like burning barriers but I can't move them and it's hard to get enemies right up to them.

-I don't quite get how the key locker works. At first I thought it was a cool system where you can visit whenever and replenish ammo, but they're one time use. So can't tell if it's a bad idea to take ammo and stuff that I might not really need right now but could be helpful in a later chapter?

-Can you only blind an enemy with a bottle (for a rush stealth kill) if they haven't seen you yet? Because I hit enemies in the head with a bottle who are approaching me and then rush them and they hit me.

-I'm actually running the most low on matches out of all ammo since I keep using them to save gun ammo. Wish you could purchase matches somewhere.

I feel like this is a game with a big learning curve and when you get the details of the combat down it's a fun RE4-2, but until you figure it out it can be a lot of dying.

Also while I like the sandbox non-linear areas of ch.3 & 4, they're pretty small and just 5-6 houses with a central area. I'm hoping there's some meaty RE castle/mansion size areas later on.

you have to throw the bottle at them to stun them and you have to be in stealth mode (crouched) to stealth them from the front(that sucks and is so cumbersome)! upgrade your matches, you'll leave more matches behind than you actually pick up due to the constraints! I gamed the key locker into giving me all 7 gels (5000) or my keys(save, open not what you want, load and repeat, if you're a dirty cheater like me that's no prob), upgrade is more important than ammo to me.

Lucent

Finally bought this today and just played the first two chapters.

I know it's not exactly fair to compare them, considering that Mikami hardly programs these things single-handedly, but the technical shortcomings (the way your character handles is a bit sloppy, the textures are dodgy, and that framerate...) are a bit disappointing after RE4's performance was rock-solid, and it was probably the best looking game of it's generation.

That said, I'm quite enjoying it so far. As someone who considers RE4 to be my favourite game of all time, Chapter 2 gave me some serious Village-vibes, and made me very happy indeed.

I feel like the sloppy feeling of how he controls is just something people experience in the beginning. When I started chapter 1 I was like wow..I hope this doesn't make the game hard for me. But it doesn't even bother me now. I'm so good at maneuvering around the enemies and stuff. Really just gotta get the controls down and you're good. Leon still kind of moved like a tank so it's not really surprising he felt more "stable".

I have to ask it; With everyone playing/completing the game now, does it make you all more or less excited for the DLC? (playing as Boxman and the two-part Juli Kidnman campaign DLC).

If it's anything like Chapter 6,11 or 12, then hell no.
If it's something like Chapter 9 then yes.

Lucent

Chapter 9 and 10 down.

god DAMN.

Right? That stuff was non-stop crazy. I can see why people would count them as their top chapters. Chapter 10 was just a rollercoaster of wtf and felt like you were playing through 3 different sections. The
spinning blade with the low walls was funny. The enemies getting hit by it. I laughed when the guy with the mask got hit and it shattered and he flew backwards. XD

Took me fucking forever last night to get past
that fucking house hold up
on chapter 6 nightmare.

Ended up having to waste a shit ton of shotgun shells and I also used up 3 incendiary arrows.

It was really freaking rough, almost impossible with the narrow space and amount of haunted. You have to be pretty much perfect and have a lot of luck in that scenario. There's so little margin for error.

God that was really freaking rough....

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
on chapter 6 nightmare.

Ended up having to waste a shit ton of shotgun shells and I also used up 3 incendiary arrows.

It was really freaking rough, almost impossible with the narrow space and amount of haunted. You have to be pretty much perfect and have a lot of luck in that scenario. There's so little margin for error.

Now imagine that on Akumu where you die in one hit from anything.

That was what I was doing yesterday, Absolutely brutal.

Had something really odd happen earlier. Not sure if it was an easter egg or something but...
I saw what looked like some really freaky creature crawling around after I dropped in the room. My gf was tensing up wondering what it was and to our surprise it was a rat with what looked like a st Mary statue riding on its back. Tension exploded into uncontrollable laughter!

Dusk Golem

Chapter 11 on Akumu should be fun.

I'm not looking forward to it.

I have no idea how you endured that chapter for 6 hours.

Masochist for sure.

I am a very stubborn person. I won't let Akumu difficulty beat me, I want its rewards. I only do this for games I enjoy though, I have to have a level of masochist in me though or something as I always play horror and action games on the hardest possible difficulty I can from the get-go, and will go on a harder unlockable difficulty if I like the game a lot.

For horror games, I find it makes the optimal best first experience in most cases. Akumu is just evil, but I want to beat it and have been making my way through.

Chapter 9 and 10 down.

god DAMN.

chapter 10 is just

jamesbrownwow.gif

Hagi

Man oh man Chapter 6 was horrible. No bueno.

Scene with Joseph and his
glasses
was hilariously wtf i loved it

Lucent

on chapter 6 nightmare.

I didn't really find it THAT rough. But yeah that part was overwhelming. Pretty sure I made use of the barrels, used my handgun and the shotgun only when I had to, and used the agony bolts in different ways to save ammo. Trying to lure enemies into downed ones to set them on fire.
It didn't really matter too much with Joseph getting hit cuz I could heal him any time.

But I sometimes let myself die in parts of the game if I think I've used too much ammo and try again. I have a ton of ammo and health stuff currently and just finished chapter 10.

Dusk Golem

Ya know what, pretty sure I never found incendiary bolts. Not sure how I managed that.

I actually don't think Incendiary Bolts or Poison Bolts are in the game itself, only in the fighting chance pack.

You can't upgrade them, and I never found them in the game itself either. The only way I get any is by using trap parts to form new ones.

-MD-

I actually don't think Incendiary Bolts or Poison Bolts are in the game itself, only in the fighting chance pack.

You can't upgrade them, and I never found them in the game itself either.

Oh that's a relief, thanks for that.

I never activated my fighting chance pack.

JoeFenix

chapter 10 is just

jamesbrownwow.gif

Chapter 10 is some inspired stuff, top to bottom it's packed with great encounters and scenarios. The soundtrack there is perfect at keeping the intensity level sky high.

Boss fight is also my favorite in the game both art and design wise.

Awesome chapter!

You can't upgrade them, and I never found them in the game itself either. The only way I get any is by using trap parts to form new ones.

Thats what I thought, the incendiary bolts alone are worth i, the poison bolt was a waste, it like lure and kills one zombie it seems.

Lucent

The poison arrows are so stupid lol. They don't make sense. How does a poison apple appear where you shoot an arrow? lol

The incendiary bolts I only made a couple of times to help fend off
Laura
. I love how if you shoot it on the ground t is like a water sprinkler with 3 flames streaming and rotating.
She
hates those. lol

The poison arrows are so stupid lol. They don't make sense. How does a poison apple appear where you shoot an arrow? lol

The incendiary bolts I only made a couple of times to help fend off
Laura
. I love how if you shoot it on the ground t is like a water sprinkler with 3 flames streaming and rotating.
She
hates those. lol

ha ha, that's not an apple dude. Look closely!

rapid32.5

loading textures just as bad as in first year UE3 games had, in some places the game looks worse in some better. Love the game though. This is the first Gears of War quality title this generation. I felt just as great when I was playing it on the 360 for the first time.

JoeFenix

It's a brain inside a glass dome mounted to an arrow. The brain attracts the haunted and personally I've found them to be super effective in certain scenarios.

They can group up a large pack of enemies and keep them focused on something other than you while you proceed to blow them up.

They're definitely not useless in my opinion.

Dusk Golem

Yup, I activated it and it's been incredibly useful on Akumu difficulty.

Hunting Shotgun is powerful but eats up shotgun ammo very quickly (love its reload animation, though). Poison Bolts are mostly useless I think except to distract enemies. It only distracts nearby enemies in my experience, and usually makes them check it out curiously. Will kill Haunted, distract bosses, but better bolts for distraction. Good for some tougher Haunted, though, and if you want to keep a crowd together for something else.

Incendiary Bolts are amazing though. They look really cool, and are extremely useful. Worth a lot of trap parts to make though. I'll try and make a gif of them really quickly here, they were insanely good as placed traps.

Here's a quick gif I made of them:

SpectacularComplexCockatiel.gif

They last for about 10-15 seconds before breaking. Also useful for shooting into a crowd and having a burning Haunted stumble around setting everyone else on fire.

you have to throw the bottle at them to stun them and you have to be in stealth mode (crouched) to stealth them from the front(that sucks and is so cumbersome)! upgrade your matches, you'll leave more matches behind than you actually pick up due to the constraints! I gamed the key locker into giving me all 7 gels (5000) or my keys(save, open not what you want, load and repeat, if you're a dirty cheater like me that's no prob), upgrade is more important than ammo to me.

Holy shit you can stun them with bottles?! I only know about the flashbolt stun kill but I never heard of this before @_@

It's a brain inside a glass dome mounted to an arrow. The brain attracts the haunted and personally I've found them to be super effective in certain scenarios.

They can group up a large pack of enemies and keep them focused on something other than you while you proceed to blow them up.

I've never got more than one to pay attention, they failed me at the worse possible moment..
Yup, I activated it and it's been incredibly useful on Akumu difficulty.

Hunting Shotgun is powerful but eats up shotgun ammo very quickly (love its reload animation, though). Poison Bolts are mostly useless I think except to distract enemies. It only distracts one enemy in my experience, and usually makes them check it out curiously. Will kill Haunted, distract bosses, but better bolts for distraction. Good for some tougher Haunted, though.

Incendiary Bolts are amazing though. They look really cool, and are extremely useful. Worth a lot of trap parts to make though. I'll try and make a gif of them really quickly here, they were insanely good as placed traps.

Here's a quick gif I made of them:

SpectacularComplexCockatiel.gif

YESSSS
YESSSSSSS
Burn! FIRE FIRE FIRE!
I got a nonsexual erection burning the mass of enemies near the
bus instead of using the turret
in chapter 12!

Lucent

ha ha, that's not an apple dude. Look closely!

Oh wow. lol I guess I didn't get a good look cuz I used the only poison arrows I had on the
chainsaw guy
in chapter
and since they didn't do anything to him I just never bothered to make more. lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Man oh man Chapter 6 was horrible. No bueno.

Scene with Joseph and his
glasses
was hilariously wtf i loved it
In case you were wondering the art book reveals that those glasses were given to him by his grandfather.

We should watch out for major spoilers in this thread

Lucent

In case you were wondering the art book reveals that those glasses were given to him by his grandfather.

We should watch out for major spoilers in this thread

lol wth? So did
his grandpa buy them for him or were they his grandpa's and they happened to have the same vision problems? =p

I asked earlier, but does anyone know if during new game + you can find more ammo for the
unlocked weapons. The reaction enemies give to machine gun bullets lighting them up is awesome.
but once I was out, never found anymore.

tesqui

Does anyone know what happens when you get all the map fragments? I've tried searching google and haven't found anything.

Dusk Golem

I asked earlier, but does anyone know if during new game + you can find more ammo for the
unlocked weapons. The reaction enemies give to machine gun bullets lighting them up is awesome.
but once I was out, never found anymore.

I don't think so unfortunately. I have my suspicions though that
maybe beating the game on a harder difficulty unlocks infinite ammo for things, though.

Dusk Golem

Does anyone know what happens when you get all the map fragments? I've tried searching google and haven't found anything.

I got all the map fragments last night. When you collect them all, head back to the map, and it should be glowing. Investigate it, and when you do...
a weapon cache case will appear on the desk behind you, inside you get the High-Penetration Sniper Rifle and Burst Handgun.

Dusk Golem

Wow I never thought to shoot the incedinary bolts to the ground. Sumbitch

You can also shoot them to walls and ceilings, along with some other bolts (such as explosive) for traps against the Haunted. The Incendiary bolts flame won't activate when used as a trap until a Haunted gets close.

You can also shoot them to walls and ceilings, along with some other bolts (such as explosive) for traps against the Haunted. The Incendiary bolts flame won't activate when used as a trap until a Haunted gets close.
Is it possible to find ammo for
the machine gun and rocket launcher in the game world?

Top Bottom