• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Nemesis_

CUNTS WHY IS THE UNIVERSE PREVENTING ME FROM PLAUYING THUFDISJbcjnmfcds;

c sd
sc'nsdxkmcsxmcdsx
scdiohsihncmds

Chapter 1 was really weak, Chapter 2 was a step in the right direcftion. That's all I've done so far :(

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
CUNTS WHY IS THE UNIVERSE PREVENTING ME FROM PLAUYING THUFDISJbcjnmfcds;

c sd
sc'nsdxkmcsxmcdsx
scdiohsihncmds

Chapter 1 was really weak, Chapter 2 was a step in the right direcftion. That's all I've done so far :(

I thought you were quoting German there for a minute.

You got to get to Chapter 3. Apparently that's where everyone else is enjoying it (what I mean is, those who aren't into survival horror).

Nemesis_

Chapter 3, tho

stahp

It's made worse because I really want to play this at night with a headset but I've just been so busy lately and the only time I've had is in broad daylight which is no fun.

The entire area of Chapter 2 was fantastic though. It gave the the same vibes and atmosphere as that little run up to Lisa Trevor's cabin did in REmake. I'm hoping the game captures that. I've not even done enough combat yet to even appreciate that yet either.

Does anyone else find the aiming......weird though?

And when should I burn people? I'm holding on to these matches but I'm not sure if I should be or not >_>

I thought you were quoting German there for a minute.

You got to get to Chapter 3. Apparently that's where everyone else is enjoying it (what I mean is, those who aren't into survival horror).

but i love survival horror ._.

This typically happens in every horror game I play. I get very tense when I first start playing but eventually just don't even give a damn.
My tension stayed at maximum the entire time in Zombie U and Outlast. Well, in Zombie U it did. In Outlast, it was doing it's job until the last level (
ghost/phantom types
just aren't scary at all to me), but then Whistleblower came out and destroyed my nerves. Maybe it was the context of The Groom.

Silent Hill 3 and REmake kept me at max as well.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Maybe Zombie U. the difference is that the flat out scariest part of that game by FAR is towards the back end. Fuck that school.

My tension stayed at maximum the entire time in Zombie U and Outlast. Well, in Zombie U it did. In Outlast, it was doing it's job until the last level (
ghost/phantom types
just aren't scary at all to me), but then Whistleblower came out and destroyed my nerves. Maybe it was the context of The Groom.

Silent Hill 3 and REmake kept me at max as well.

I agree about ZombiU. You just never get that powerful (though the end wasn't that hard for me compared to other "surprise" sections).

So, for money reasons, I had the options of buying either Evil Within + MGS GZ or Driveclub + Watch Dogs this month (I already bought Shadow of Mordon). I chose the first option. Hope I did okay :)

Watch dogs is fun but a bit repetitive. at least you can see what is happening 100% of the time in WD which automatically makes it better then TEW
i61BygvaSD4lz.gif

JUuWVcB.png

Chapter 15 was surprisingly easy, hardest parts are easily chapter 6 and 11.

AKUMU UNLOCK SPOILER
BRASSKNUCKLES which are always equipped when your weapon is holstered.

They buff your barehanded melee attack to the point where you headshot all regular Haunted in 1 swing.

The description for them says that the melee upgrade improves damage on the brassknuckles too. Super fun to use!

Billy-D-Claps-While-Smoking-A-Cigar.gif

Congrats! you magnificent bastard. Cool unlocks!

I'll be going for AKUMU in my third playthrough. I'm on my second playthrough now on casual, collecting everything and want to upgrade Seb completely, himself and weapons. Going to be pretty fun, already enjoying myself.

What did you upgrade for your AKUMU playthrough? Thinking about it, it shouldn't be that bad as long as there are checkpoints, saves and all. I finished Max Payne 3 on New York Minute Hardcore so I definitely know what stress looks like not just feels lmao, that game had you returning to level 1 if you died, plus you're under a timer the entire game.

eunFUij.png

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It sucks that I have the game right now but my PS4 will be coming in 11 days. :/

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I love Survival Horror. Chapters 1 and 2 are not survival horror at all.

I was listening to the Giant Bomb Bombcast and they thought the first 2 chapters were painful. I thought it was setting up the game. It took some slow steps and it took
Sebastian from a state of what's normal to this state of hell

It wasn't like in Silent Hill where you're there immediately with the same mechanics just toned down a bit. This felt like it went from being dramatic and mysterious to
being more of an allusive thought and something to build upon.

Someone who wouldn't be up for the chapter progression could probably overlook TEW's progression.
It takes you back and forth in a way that forces you from that point in this game's world.

Squishy3

stahp

It's made worse because I really want to play this at night with a headset but I've just been so busy lately and the only time I've had is in broad daylight which is no fun.

The entire area of Chapter 2 was fantastic though. It gave the the same vibes and atmosphere as that little run up to Lisa Trevor's cabin did in REmake. I'm hoping the game captures that. I've not even done enough combat yet to even appreciate that yet either.

Does anyone else find the aiming......weird though?

And when should I burn people? I'm holding on to these matches but I'm not sure if I should be or not >_>

but i love survival horror ._.
Treat matches like finishing moves in RE4. It's for defeating enemies who otherwise take awhile to kill by making them fall over, or by burning a body as enemies walk over it to burn them.

Nemesis_

Watch dogs is fun but a bit repetitive. at least you can see what is happening 100% of the time in WD which automatically makes it better then TEW
i61BygvaSD4lz.gif

49wATMv.png

Treat matches like finishing moves in RE4. It's for defeating enemies who otherwise take awhile to kill by making them fall over, or by burning a body as enemies walk over it to burn them.

Hmm, but they run out? That's a good idea for the latter though, because I saw so many bodies that didn't actually do anything in Chapter 2.

Sanctuary

I'm probably going to order a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo tomorrow, or whatever. I don't want to pay more than ~$200 and I don't want any bundled game bullshit. I just want Bayonetta 1/2 and The Wonderful 101.

I won't start Bayonetta 2 until I finished TEW, and I'm considering replaying Bayonetta 1 for the 4th time with the new definitive version first...

EDIT: Found it, https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat140077

Wii U Deluxe w/Nintendo Land Bundle (Refurbished)

$200.00

Add To Cart

Done. What have you made me do, Platinum

If you're getting a WiiU, you need to get ZombiU. Hate to say it, but it has more of a Resident Evil feel than this game ever did, and the gamepad/backpack gimmick is actually really good.

This is how I know the game is scary. I'm dreading but also extremely excited to play once my fiancé goes to bed. I feel like I'm stuck in those woods from Ch 2, and I need to get out.

JoeFenix

What did you upgrade for your AKUMU playthrough? Thinking about it, it shouldn't be that bad as long as there are checkpoints, saves and all. I finished Max Payne 3 on New York Minute Hardcore so I definitely know what stress looks like not just feels lmao, that game had you returning to level 1 if you died, plus you're under a timer the entire game.

eunFUij.png

I made sure to upgrade the stamina bar early on to level 3 and maxed it out completely by chapter 10. Other than that, handgun accuracy and criticals up to a decent level early on.

After that it was mostly upgrading a bit of everything, I'm a big fan of the flashbolts when upgraded so I spent some points on those early on too.

That Max Payne 3 new york minute hardcore mode sounds awesome! How long does a run of the game take from start to finish?

Squishy3

49wATMv.png

Hmm, but they run out? That's a good idea for the latter though, because I saw so many bodies that didn't actually do anything in Chapter 2.
Yeah, it becomes a lot more useful in later chapters when there are a lot more enemies. Treat it as another form of ammo.

If you're getting a WiiU, you need to get ZombiU. Hate to say it, but it has more of a Resident Evil feel than this game ever did, and the gamepad/backpack gimmick is actually really good.
Zombie U is much better than this game is in my opinion. More survival horror, and it actually has value outside of its gameplay. The story and lore, VA, meaningful deaths, and gamepad implementation put it much further ahead for me.

Not that I'm not liking Evil Within. It's fun and had it's moments, but it's not a cohesive package at all. Luckily it nice in the most important areas.

Jawmuncher

Didn't RE4 have stuff like that too? Granted in that game the only way to find them was to glitch out of bounds.

Im sure every game has it.
I had to use the debug camera to get the actual close up.
But the fact that you could see where it was located just threw me off.

Im sure every game has it.
I had to use the debug camera to get the actual close up.
But the fact that you could see where it was located just threw me off.

Eh, probably just someone forgot to clean it up. Or it was a spooky ghost.

Zombie U is much better than this game is in my opinion. More survival horror, and it actually has value outside of its gameplay. The story and lore, VA, meaningful deaths, and gamepad implementation put it much further ahead for me.

Not that I'm not liking Evil Within. It's fun and had it's moments, but it's not a cohesive package at all. Luckily it nice in the most important areas.

I really need to play ZombiU soon. It came along with my Wii U and I just haven't played more than an hour or two of it yet. I'll tell myself I'm going to soon but I know with Bayo 2 coming out next week I never will.

Well I settled on redboxing the Xbox 360 version since my PS4 is out of commission for the time being.

I could see where people experience screen tearing and poor frame rates at time, but holy crap, this game is one hell of a ride. You really have no idea where the game is going to take you next.

The keeper was by far the creepiest boss that I fought in the game so far. Just the dreamlike, hazy state of the game when he resurrects himself in front of me while I was turning a valve off sent shivers down my spine.

Chapter 8 so far has been a pain in the ass, but I'm driven to keep playing to see what craziness the game will throw at me next.

Lucent

Oh man. Chapter
so far. I actually don't mind the
urban environment too much. I mean, of course I prefer the stuff in like 3/9/10, well, anything else. But yeah not bad so far. The machine gun guys were kind of a bitch though. At least I happened to be around places I could hide when they showed up.

And that underwater monster was cool since it showed a cutscene of him eating a body from the rope and I was immediately like "Oh I see!" so I just kept shooting the bodies down and escaped him no sweat.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Oh man. Chapter
so far. I actually don't mind the
urban environment too much. I mean, of course I prefer the stuff in like 3/9/10, well, anything else. But yeah not bad so far. The machine gun guys were kind of a bitch though. At least I happened to be around places I could hide when they showed up.

And that underwater monster was cool since it showed a cutscene of him eating a body from the rope and I was immediately like "Oh I see!" so I just kept shooting the bodies down and escaped him no sweat.

It gives you that whole beginning scene from The Dark Knight all over again

The best is how they just throw up their hand in any direction and it's always a direct hit. I found that simply hilarious, enjoyable, but hilarious.

Lucent

It gives you that whole beginning scene from The Dark Knight all over again

The best is how they just throw up their hand in any direction and it's always a direct hit. I found that simply hilarious, enjoyable, but hilarious.

Dat
Ruvik wannabe
. Currently killed all the other haunted but I dunno how much it's gonna take to kill this guy.

EDIT: Nevermind. Sniper shot to the face and harpoon sent him flying into a car. LOL!!!

I made sure to upgrade the stamina bar early on to level 3 and maxed it out completely by chapter 10. Other than that, handgun accuracy and criticals up to a decent level early on.

After that it was mostly upgrading a bit of everything, I'm a big fan of the flashbolts when upgraded so I spent some points on those early on too.

That Max Payne 3 new york minute hardcore mode sounds awesome! How long does a run of the game take from start to finish?

Just as I thought of doing. That and probably upgrade that harpoon.

Took me 7 tries to get it done. Probably after you are familiar with the game 4 - 5 hours, possibly 6. You'll have to do it all in one sitting but you could pause if I remember correctly so it's the only way to take some break which I did.

Here is my total time. It's not accurate though as I took breaks by pausing the game and well since you are on a timer from beginning to the end of the game, it racks up the time as you go to the next level so it's like every level you finish quick, you add up the time. Only go for it when you absolutely have learned the game inside and out lol also, with a painkiller location guide as it will help you. Other then that 1 death and you're back level 1, you're on a timer and it doesn't matter what kind of death or where you died, as long as you died, you're back level 1.

kodecraft

JUuWVcB.png

AKUMU UNLOCK SPOILER

They buff your barehanded melee attack to the point where you headshot all regular Haunted in 1 swing.

The description for them says that the melee upgrade improves damage on the brassknuckles too. Super fun to use!

Awesome, salute soldier!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Dat
Ruvik wannabe
. Currently killed all the other haunted but I dunno how much it's gonna take to kill this guy.

EDIT: Nevermind. Sniper shot to the face and harpoon sent him flying into a car. LOL!!!

He killed me a few times. His little ground splash move is deadly

That Akumu mode looks interesting. Good job on getting it. I'll probably sink my death count even further.

Lucent

He killed me a few times. His little ground splash move is deadly

That Akumu mode looks interesting. Good job on getting it. I'll probably sink my death count even further.

I didn't want to find out what
those arms did
. lol. They
never touched me. I just had to make sure I managed my stamina. Run, jog a bit, run. I made sure to kill all the guys before focusing on him.

Also found 5
magnum rounds in a case next to the baby stroller there. So nice. I'm gonna save my magnum for as long as I can and go crazy like I do in RE at the end. =D

EDIT: Also damn the
save area is wrecked. I ain't cleaning that shiz up. =l

JUuWVcB.png

AKUMU UNLOCK SPOILER

no fricking way i'm beating akuma and i wanted that unlock BADLY!!@

Alright, I'll try it again soon meow.
ha ha!
53712707.jpg

Lucent

I was okay with some haunted having
guns until they had explosive arrows that you can't get off you. Now shit's getting real.
=l

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like it, a lot. There's some jank, and like Resident Evil 4 and The Last of Us I feel this is steps closer to stealth/action with horror themes/presentation than survival horror in game design. Mikami and his team have an excellent perception for what constitutes as varied, unpredictable, stimulating pacing, and that's The Evil Within's biggest strength. Sometimes I feel it doesn't really know what it wants to be, is drawing a little too much from the Book of Horror Games rather than being its own original entity, but there's still a lot to love and the game systems are well envisioned and implemented cohesively into the experience as a whole (so far, anyway).

Weakest element is the narrative. Some cutscenes go on for far too long, and are poorly written and uninteresting. The visual and playable storytelling is far more intriguing and rich with atmosphere.

Veggy

JUuWVcB.png

AKUMU UNLOCK SPOILER

yesjacknicholson.gif

In chapter 9

Did anyone else get that glitch where the dude's beard andhair was all messed up? haha

wasnt sure if i was supposed to tag that or not, so i did to be safe

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
In chapter 9

Did anyone else get that glitch where the dude's beard andhair was all messed up? haha

I couldn't tell if that was a glitch or not but it happened to me, yeah.

Lucent

In chapter 9

Yep.
His hair looked like it was like...you know that paper stuff that's all over pinatas? The whole scene it was like that every time. It never fixed itself. Was jarring.

Played Chapters 7-9 tonight. They were excellent, especially Chapter 9. I was so giddy the entire time playing that level. To be honest, I really enjoyed everything I played tonight.

Really pleased with where the game stands at the moment. I count seven really strong chapters to this point, and two weak ones (1 and 6).

I have 0 handgun rounds right now. I should probably do something about that. :p

Lucent

Still on chapter
. Got to the 2nd save point in the
dark building with the Zom Bomb picture. I'm wanting to guess all the broken glass has to do with Sebastian's drinking after his little girl's death?

Just thought I'd try to guess something. lol

Played Chapters 7-9 tonight. They were excellent, especially Chapter 9. I was so giddy the entire time playing that level. To be honest, I really enjoyed everything I played tonight.

Really pleased with where the game stands at the moment. I count seven really strong chapters to this point, and two weak ones (1 and 6).

I have 0 handgun rounds right now. I should probably do something about that. :p

Yeah you probably should. lol

Prepare for chapter 10. I loved it.

Alright, I'll try it again soon meow.

Man, they gotta stop putting zombies with
machine guns
in my survival horror games.

they're not zombies so unfortunately it doesn't aply here.
if you pay attention, only a certain type ever utilizing guns or does things that are unpredictable at times
..you understand better when you get to the end..but seriously, if money was no object and you wanted to keep someone from progressing, why wouldn't you e
quip them with what they're capable of using?

Top Bottom